Start by marking “The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)

The Empress And the Acolyte

(Lyremouth Chronicles #3)

After three years of studying with the Empress Bykoda, Jemeryl has learned all that the elderly sorcerer can teach her and is ready to return to Lyremouth. However, before she leaves, Bykoda reveals a grim secret, an oracle of death, and askes her to perform one final assignment.
Published November 13th 2006 by Bold Strokes Books (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Empress And the Acolyte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empress And the Acolyte

The Warrior's Path by Catherine M. WilsonA Journey of the Heart by Catherine M. WilsonA Hero's Tale by Catherine M. WilsonThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerSword of the Guardian by Merry Shannon
Lesbian Fantasy
326 books — 305 voters
Fingersmith by Sarah WatersTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggCarol by Claire  Morgan
Best Lesbian Fiction
1,802 books — 2,305 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)
Lex Kent
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite out of the Lyremouth Chronicles so far. To me, it's by far the most exciting. I felt I hardly had time to catch my breath before something else happened. Jem and Tevi are tested a lot in this book, their relationship, their morals, and their lives. Jane Fletcher really knows how to write great fantasy books... plus did I mention this book has Dragons?!
I would recommended this series to any fantasy genre fans. You won't be disappointed!
Alealea
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy, f-f
I had a harder time with this one.
Mostly because of the effect Jem's choices have on Tevi and the impact on their relationship.

Would I go with the love of my life to a place where I would be professionally ecstatic but where she would be scorn, ignored, or used just because she's on the weaker side of the social ladder ? So while I would spend my days happily doing something I love, she would be in a social misery ?

Still, the story goes on and there are some interesting aspect. The grief versu
M
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good chapter in the ongoing Lyremouth Chronicles.

Forget (if you can or want to) that these are written in a lesbian context and rather approach them as a pure fantasy novel, then they are at least as good as the majority of David Eddings output.

The evolving world that the author has presented remains as interesting as at the outset, with additional turns and kinks in the road that ensures that you cannot guess which way the novel will take you.

Loved the playfulness that the author was abl
Noah Soudrette
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another strong book in this series and the first not linked to the whole chase for the chalice. There are elements similar to the last book (some Potter-ish murder mystery stuff), but everything is different enough and the characters have matured a bit more. Plus, there's some cool stuff with Dragons. ...more
D. Omars
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great story from this series. I have a good time reading this, it had romance, action, adventure, and suspense. The suspense was especially good in this one, more than in the previous book. Romance was good, just the way I liked it, as well as the action. The adventure was not what I expected, but in a good way. Overall, I think it was worth reading and worth to add to my collection.
Sandy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, glbt-lesbian
Clearly the best of the three. I like the two main characters, the moral dilemmas posed, the feats and explanations of magic and the world building. Jane Fletcher has written a very good WLW fantasy series. Jemeryl the Sorcerer and Tevi the Ungifted Soldier make an unlikely pair in their world but in the end love conquers all.
Lexxi Kitty
The book was better than expected. Mostly because I thought that the first two books in the series made a perfect duology and wasn't really interested in 'what happens next'. Yet, I fell into this story, and, when I emerged, I was quite happy I decided to try it. ...more
Cynthia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: qr
This one was worse than the others bc it presents a character that could be argued to be autistic as evil bc of it.
Regina
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The entire Lyremouth series was a surprisingly very enjoyable read! Book 1 starts very slow, but it does pick up when Jem and Tevi get together (near to two-thirds of book 1, so don't give up :D), and they are such a cute couple, so adorable!

The premise of this series is definitely not as ambitious or serious as the author's Celaeno series, but I felt the fantasy world she created here was equally rich (each territory has its own unique culture), more fun (sarcastic talking magpie lol) and very
Binky Bowberg
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Book one of the Lyremouth Chronicles - one of my favorite series ever....
M
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Not as good as the previous books in the series imo
Alexis O'cady
Marsha
Dec 29, 2019
Jen
Apr 18, 2013

• Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • Ash
  • Compass Rose
  • Jericho
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)
  • Breaking Legacies
  • Huntress
  • Backwards to Oregon (The Oregon Series, #1)
  • And Playing the Role of Herself
  • Gold
  • Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • Sweet & Bitter Magic
  • The Luminous Dead
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Better Off Red (Vampire Sorority Sisters, #1)
Jane Fletcher is a GCLS award-winning writer and has also been short-listed for the Gaylactic Spectrum and Lambda Literary awards. She is author of two ongoing sets of fantasy/romance novels: the Celaeno series—The Walls of Westernfort, Rangers at Roadsend, The Temple at Landfall, Dynasty of Rogues, and Shadow of the Knife; and the Lyremouth Chronicles—The Exile and The Sorcerer, The Traitor and T ...more

Lyremouth Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • The Traitor and the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...
“Despite the chaos that was tearing her head apart, Tevi understood what scene Yenneg was attempting to play out, with herself as a conscripted actor. She needed to force out an explanation or denial, but no words could get past her lips. Jemeryl's presence was paralysing her, an effect far more irresistible than anything Yenneg had achieved.

Tevi watched Jemeryl take another few steps forwards and then crouch down so that their eyes were no more than a foot apart. Tevi thought she would die from the shock. Yet somehow, she forced her mouth to shape the words, "Wine. Love potion."

Her voice was not loud enough even to count as a whisper. Certainly nobody else in the room would have heard, yet Tevi could not control her breathing to manage anything else.

At first Jemeryl showed no sign of comprehension, but then suddenly, the bewilderment on her face transformed into fury. She leapt up, her arms moving in a blurred aggressive swirl. The gesture ended with an action like hurling a ball. Blue fire erupted from Jemeryl's hands and shot towards Yenneg.

The other sorcerer had obviously recognised the gesture and made an effort to protect himself. A shimmering shield sprung up before Yenneg, but it was not strong enough, and the shockwave knocked him off his feet. His shoulders slammed into the wall behind him and he crumpled to the floor. Jemeryl had been telling the truth when she claimed to vastly excel the acolytes in magical ability, not that Tevi had ever entertained doubts. Jemeryl's hands moved again, and this time Yenneg was sprawled on the floor and in no state to mount a defence. A second bolt of blue fire burst in his direction.

Lightning in the form of a whip snapped across the room, intercepting Jemeryl's attack before it struck. The diverted fireball hit the wall of the summerhouse two feet from Yenneg's head and smashed through it, as if it were a stone going through wet paper.”
2 likes