Start by marking “Devolution” as Want to Read:
Devolution

Devolution

(Devolution)

Every living creature on Earth has been devolved - the evolutionary clock turned back, reverting all life to odd mutations and prehistoric incarnations. The cities of man are little more than bloody territories ruthlessly dominated by tribal Neanderthals ruling from the backs of mammoths, packs of saber-toothed tigers, and giant man-eating insects. Raja, one of the few rem ...more
Published August 23rd 2016 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published August 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Devolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devolution

Start your review of Devolution
Mitticus
-Digital copy gently provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review-

1,5 shocking stars

What a mess. A virus invented to erase the religion from humans ...wha?? (yes, a really farfetched premise for a story full of cliches who you could encounter in a midnight "z-movie") transformed the humanity in mad neardenthals , and mutating the rest of biosphere into jurassic park. Yeah, pseudoscience evading all idea of logic. As if neanderthals won't be able to invent some kind of myth and rites (religion) :roll eyes::.

1,5
Jay
2.5 stars?

Okay so this wasn't really what I was expecting. I'm going to *TRY* and explain the premise, but bear with me....

To stop wars, scientists have developed a serum capable of deactivating the religious part of your brain, but it went very wrong. People "infected" started to "revert" back to their stone age forms (i.e. they physically and mentally morphed into cavemen. POOF, just like that). Oh and they also passed it to animals and plants. Earth is basically the la
Scarlet Cameo
Aug 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Spanis review at the bottom

Every time I take a book that poses an apocalyptic world my rule is to seek believe the world it creates, although in some cases it is extremely easy, others go to the bottom because the absurdity of his approach ... and then comes Devolution, which not only is a total WTF ‘cause the world but with absolutely everything that happens.

This begins with creating a serum that eliminates the religious part of the human brain

Then the
Chelsies Crazy4Books
Scientist believe religion is the cause of all of humanities problems and by releasing a serium they will be able to eliminate all human belief. The serium had severe consequences and made everything on earth devolve. The daugther of one scientist makes it her mission to find and release the antidote her father left behind.

This is a violent and vicious graphic novel meant for adults. If your taste run a little darker and the premise sounds like something you might enjoy then give it a try. This
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Meh.

The art was cool. There are also mosquitoes the size of cows, which, when you think about it, is rather terrifying.

There just wasn't a whole lot of story here and the bit that was present didn't bring anything new to the table. Not that a story always has to be new - it just felt like maybe these guys were just going for the 'ol shock value tactic. It didn't work. At least not for me - it just felt juvenile.
Patrick
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
While an interesting eh, setting? I wasn't impressed with the dialogue or how this unfolded. Artwork was strong through out, but unfortunately bad writing killed it for me.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher
Dan
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The main plot of this was interesting but the crude art and crappy characters really ruined it quickly for me. I usually like Remender's work but this was his worst I have read.
47Time
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-fiction
The author takes great joy in criticizing capitalism for its imaginary economic games, industrialization for poluting the planet, people for their stupidity and desire to make war for often unimportant things and religion for sparking wars. Given the devolution of civilization, science came in to fix the cause of the degradation. The politicians decided it was religion. Scientists developed a way to remove people's religious belief by modifying an area of the brain. The devolution spread to the ...more
Charlee
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I loved reading this. It was a commentary on how humans will overgrow and over consume our environment. And then who will be in power and what systems will we rely on to exist in this new world. Awesome art. It is bit much with the gore and the hillbilly leaders. But isn't that what we see on twitter today, how the leader of the free world is not much better?
I really enjoyed it, but didn't really think the ending was as strong as it could have been.
Yon Nyan (BiblioNyan)
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Devolution, written by Rick Remender (Low, Black Science) is a post-apocalyptic story about a world that was purposefully infected with a virus designed to de-evolve humans. But the virus gets out of hand and ends up affecting creatures of all walks of life as well, turning them all into a prehistoric state. There is one girl, named Raja, who embarks on a mission to find the remnants of a cure that can reverse the worldwide insanity that ensues from the virus.

The art style is strange, yet quite fitting fo
Alex Sarll
"Pointlessness, blood and stupidity" is protagonist Raja's summary of the story's events, and who am I to argue? She's attempting to undo the apocalypse her father caused by creating an agent intended to remove the world's prime source of conflict by attacking the part of the brain associated with religious belief. Now, that premise is the one goodish thing here, because even as someone who agrees that removing organised religion from the world would probably be a very good start, I can see that ...more
Diana
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I am sorry, but... what is this? The premise of this comic was good, but it failed in its execution. Let's see: in order to end wars humanity creates a kind of virus that erases the belief in God in hte brain. But it goes out and humans devolve into neandertals (crazy and aggresive ones), the animals also devolve (so... which animal does devolve into dinosaurs?), and so does the plants and so on. I didn't know Earth could devolve, mind you.

And there is this woman, who is still a homo
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
I received this book for free from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this one. I am such a sucker for science fiction and dystopian stories, and this one was right up my alley. I absolutely loved the premise for this story. The world devolving back to a primitive state- everything! The people turn into cavemen, there are woolly mammoths running around, huge plants and vegetation that takes over everything, gigantic bugs and arachnids...it's
Lionel
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Meh. The art is quite good, I like the devolved creatures but the story is empty and feels more like a synopsis than an actual story
Shawn
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, vibrant art. Great story. All-around A+
Shari
This has an interesting premise. Almost all of the species on Earth have been devolved except for a select few. Can't wait to see where it goes for here.
Lestat
Aug 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have made a terrible mistake by picking this book. I was drawn in by the description of the book, and recalled the writer had worked with Marvel, I should have remembered the feedback he received on many of those titles - I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but apparently not.

This book is exactly the reason why comic books have such a bad reputation and why so many women feel uncomfortable with the comic book industry. This is misogynist nonsense to the max, and honest
Wayne McCoy
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Devolution' by Rick Remender along with Jonathan Wayshak and Jae Lee is one of those graphic novels where you just have to go with the premise. If you stop to think too hard about the premise, it will all unravel.

It is the future and just about everything has been devolved by science. It was determined that violence was caused by belief in religion, so devolving people would get rid of this in them (refer to my first paragraph about "going with it"). Raja, a human, has survived by b
Bradley Farless
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, comics
It's full of cliches, one dimensional characters, gratuitous violence, degradation, and gore. It's like reading a shitty action movie. The premise is interesting but the plot is full of holes and things happen that just don't make sense given the situation. But, it titillates and entertains. That's enough. Not everything has to be a literary masterpiece to be good.
Ed Dinnermonkey
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you're going to write characters who are violent misogynist racists, maybe don't make it so obvious you're writing their dialogue with such glee? A misanthropic exercise in god knows what, the end of the world has been done, and done better.
Christopher
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Possibly the dumbest story every written in comic form? But the art and the utterly bizarro/gonzo nature of it all still makes it entertaining.
Neil
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Amazed Remender wanted his name on this crap.
Aaron
In lieu of unveiling an agent of corruption for which to blame all of humanity's perverse and destructive ills, homo sapiens curled inward, and corrupted themselves.

DEVOLUTION is Remender's latest jab at the comical fitness (or lack thereof) of humanity's consequential puzzling together of faith, science, and social progress. This attempt is less well-rounded than a few of his previous efforts, but nevertheless integrates sharper character personalities that benefit from, and meet the expectations of,/>
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Sadly, there was very little that I found to like in Devolution. We have a well worn dystopian path (Mad Max, etc.) and a really bonkers premise (remove religion from people's brains and wars will end that instead mutates them into cavemen). Characters were over-the-top cliches and endless violence being the lazy writer's excuse for adventure. The art felt very Judge Dredd 1990s with huge square chins and the Frank Frazetta-inspired cover didn't reflect
Brenda
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
* Free e-book in NetGalley in exchange for a review *

Ok.... what have I just seen?

This edition of Devolution has 6 issues. In the first 5 of them, we see the main character -Raja- and her life, her difficulties, and the Earth's situation - Politicians reached the conclusion that religion is the main cause of differences and war. Therefore, "they created a secret research team to produce a viral agent to neuter the parts of the brain that believed in God." But the agent had unexpec
Dave
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I think a lot of the other reviews for this book are a bit harsh. Probably not Remender's best, but not bad. Yes, the post-apocalyptic thing is a bit cliche at this point, but this is still a fun SciFi adventure if you're not looking for anything deep and sophisticated.
Ruthsic
Following in the footsteps of many post-apocalyptic plotlines, this graphic novel really doesn't have anything new to offer. Other than the reason for the scientists (it's always the scientists *eyeroll*) to create a super-virus that decimates life on Earth as we know it; this time it is a need to eradicate religion. Cue shade! Apparently, humans are so stupid as to assume faith has anything to do with a gain or loss of humanity and try to create a virus that will help remove faith. Obviously, n ...more
Phil
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free ecopy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Devolution is a ridiculous book. It is over the top in so many ways. Trying to take it seriously may leave you unimpressed.

Everything begins when scientists decide to remove religion from the world by tampering with the human brain. As a result of their efforts, a disease breaks out that reverts every living thing on the planet to a previous state of evolution. A select few are inoculated a
TinTin Kalaw
* I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review *

The premise of Devolution, to be honest, is quite promising. A group of scientists surmised that religion is the root of all mankind's problems. So naturally, they devised a serum that intends to block all thought processes relating to God. Of course things go wrong and so humans as well as other living things devolve back to their primitive instincts and the apocalypse ensues.

All in all, the
Morgan
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

So this seemed like it would be good from the outside, but... I don't know if I just do not possess enough suspension of disbelief for it, or what, because I just had a severe 'wtf am I reading' face the entire time.

Humans (etc) devolved into prehistoric or beginning of evolution counterparts. Okay. Sure that's a novel idea.

Becaus

• The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Marvel Zombies 5
  • The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe
  • Secret Wars
  • The Group (Aldebaran, #3-4)
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Devolution (5 books)