Start by marking “The Wizard Killer - Season One” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Killer - Season One

Read Book

The Wizard Killer - Season One

(The Wizard Killer #1)

A world once at the height of magical technology and social order has collapsed. How and why are the least of the wizard killer’s worries.

Leaning my bloody head against the back of the crashed levitating carriage, I flex my cramped fingers. With a renewed grip on the mana-pistol, I steal a quick breath. The others better wake up fast, otherwise we’re all going
Published April 28th 2016 by ADZO Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard Killer - Season One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard Killer - Season One

Bradley
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy
The author mentioned in his preface that he was influenced heavily from the serialized format of his enormous comics collection and decided to have fun here.

It's obvious that he had a lot of fun, too, because each tiny chapter propels all the action forward in what might look like one long book of nothing but action with tiny sequences of dialogue that was just another pretext for more action.

And far from complaining, this was a light action read with magic that keeps fli
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Wizard Killer, Season 1
A Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Serial
By: Adam Dreece
Narrated by: Justin James
This is an audible book I requested and the review is voluntary.
I have been wanting to start this series for a long time and when I saw this opportunity, I jumped for it. It didn't disappoint. It is a short book but it packed a punch. It outlined characters, world building, and more as it dove into the story. The main character wakes up from the dead, that's right..for the
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
5.0 Stars - Re-Read via Audiobook Version
Re-reading this story as an audiobook was an amazing experience. The narrator absolutely nailed the voice of the protagonist. He did not simply read the book out loud, but rather put on a passionate, expressive performance. I was completely engaged the entire time I was listening to this book. This is the kind of storytelling that can get new listeners hooked on the audiobook experience.

I would highly recommend the audiobook version of this entertaining post
J.C. Brennan
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intensely heart-pounding, engagement-clashing story of inclusive fantasy and action. A thrill ride you won't soon forget. Not only has the author created a unique spin on magic and the collapse of society, but he has also made each step of this journey visionary, electrifying, and compelling. This is an entertaining read. One that gets the reader's blood pumping.
I have to say; I found the used of the word “Yig” is interesting. For if any of you reader who loves H.P. Lovecraft as I, you kno
Josée Leon (jo.in_bookland)
I thought I would try this book after it came highly recommended.
Unfortunately, it just wasn't my cup of tea. This is not the genre I usually read but I came in with an open mind. It very much reminded me of adventure books I used to read and enjoy when I was young (the type where you're faced with choices: you come to a crossroads, to the left you see a fire in the distance, to the right are dark woods, where do you go? Turn to page 20 if... turn to page 30 if...) except in
Erin Sneath
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Wizard Killer is a popcorn adventure with gunslinging, glitchy magical tech and a hard-suffering hero in a world gone to hell.

The protagonist definitely has the sardonic edge of John McClane from Die Hard (as another reviewer pointed out) The setting is a bit closer to Mad Max and its scattered communities of survivors scrounging off each other and the old world’s leftovers. Normally I find combining magic and tech a questionable choice, but it works here because this magic is a
Katrina
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have my favourite authors, masters I return to, again and again. But when it comes to the fantastical, I often wonder if I've aged past surprise. In the last few years, only a handful of new fantasy writers have managed to capture my wonder. Storytellers who reach the child in me, Gaiman and Sanderson and Lynch, and now Dreece.

I wasn't expecting it. In a handful of pages, Adam Dreece drops us into a world we long to wander, although that's going to be difficult, really, because we're right th
Dawn Hebert
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Having read all the other works belonging to Adam before this, I was beyond excited for another amazing book and once again he did not disappoint.

I'm not usually one for first person but I found that I was sucked into this one. I was more than confused along with the man in the novel and felt his wounds become mine. it was an awesome quick read for travels back and forth on work. I look forward to more in this series to answer some of the questions that I have remaining.
Alice
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is compared to such great things like Mad Max, Diehard, and Stephen King's Gunslinger, and even Harry Potter and The Lord of The Rings. With some things, I agree, with some things not.

What's this book about? About an alone man who lost his memory, time and equipment. He woke up in unknowing place. So, he just goes with knowing where to move, seeks for food and possibility to recall anything from that period that he has lost, and kills everything on his path. Through him, we
Benjamin Spurlock
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I admit that I haven't read many post-apocalyptic fantasy stories, but if The Wizard Killer is anything to go by, this is a sub-genre I need to examine.

The book may be a bit difficult to get into, it's true. The story is told through the first-person perspective of the (unnamed) protagonist, which is both disjointed in time due to a long-ago-inflicted injury and also suffers from fragmented memory. This means that important plot points are introduced gradually, as his memory is sparked and he e
Danielle
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this one up at the Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo, I always like to support local and upcoming authors if I can and this one sounded right up my alley. I really enjoyed the premise and fast-paced story. It certainly had me flipping pages quickly to see what was going to happen next. The main character was interesting, despite not really knowing a lot about him - I assume we'll learn more in future books. I got a good sense of the world, despite it really being very vague on the ...more
J.C. Brennan
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lorraine
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy
This book from Adam Dreece is a short but action packed story.
I really enjoyed discovering this confusing world through the eyes and mind of the unnamed main character, who isn't sure who he is, where he is or why he's there!

The story clipped along at a good pace and pulled me along with it, but left me with a multitude of questions. I want...no... need to know more about this world and its inhabitants.

Jack Graham
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
OK, Wow. A lot happens in 100 pages.

It is an interesting introduction to the world.
It raises many more questions than it answers.
It does answer a few.
Definitely action packed with lots of movement of the story as a serial has to be.
I would be interested in the next 500 pages to learn more about the world.

The one funny part is that the gender of the hero is not specifically stated (or I misses it) and I thought she was female until one time when she reac
Bar Barian
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the finest examples of on-the-fly world building I have read. I'm not normally a fan of the waking up with no memories trope, but it is rarely executed with such finesse. The more I learned about the world and the character through whose eyes I was viewing it, the more I wanted to know. I am definitely looking forward to reading more of this series.
Jackie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodness what an amazing read Just loved this story about wizards, this is totally my thing. Ready for more.
Jan
Not my usual preference, and I'm not sure where I got exposed to it, but I certainly enjoyed it! Lots of action and without the usual recognizable cuss words. Being written in serial format makes it more affordable and easier for reading in travel or waiting areas. A good read!
J.K. Norry
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘The Wizard Killer’ grabs you right away, and drags you from one scene to the next with wonderful ferocity. Adam Dreece had stepped smoothly from one style to another with this book, while continuing to build the layers of his ravaged steampunk world. This first-person moment-to-moment tale puts the reader right in the driver’s seat immediately; there is no time to pause, or go back, or set it down. The story is busy rushing forward, and one can’t help but rush forward right along with it.
Ben Willoughby
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
We all have days that start out terrible, but imagine waking up with amnesia and finding a sword deep in your belly. The protagonist of Adam Dreece's "Wizard Killer" wakes up with such a problem. He knows little other than some magical abilities and the name of certain creatures and humanoids. In a quest to find out just what the heck he needs to do, the protagonist finds himself combating the magically crafted Carnu, the dangerous Leechers, and the strange, commune-minded Oners. As he travels, ...more
Fred
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book kept me riveted from start to finish. I had a hard time putting it down!
Bravo!
Brian Menue
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
It kept me interested and was really well written for interest and suspense. It felt like not a lot happened by the end, and I'm not sure how good or bad that is.
Rita
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like books that challenge any comfortable perceptions of SciFi that you may have; then this book will probably suit you.

This book is unusual in that it throws up many questions but gives very few answers. The story is easy to read but somewhat harder to follow. On the surface it seems simple, but underneath the layers, there is a dark mystery.

A young man wakes to find himself impaled on his own sword. Instead of being upset by this fact, the opposite is true. He is stra
Bonnie Dale Keck
not kindle unlimited, had a copy of it and remember reading it and 2 so not sure why doesn't show review, on here or amazon that could find, S3 was because bought it while back and hadn't been able to get to review

A magical world, once at the height of technology, has crashed and burned. Levitating cars lay abandoned, floating cities lie in ruin, and the tyrant Wizards who ruled with iron fists are nowhere to be seen.

Awakening from the dead for the third time is a man with scrambled
Harrison Lamb
Brilliant world-building and characterisation, but mixed feelings!

I really like the mystery aspect of this story, how the reader is thrust into a complex, technologically advanced world with no idea what is going on, and has to slowly piece together clues about the past. It forces you to step into the shoes of the main character and really empathise with him, as when you are introduced to him, he has just come back from the dead and doesn’t remember much about himself or what has happened to him
Nicolas Knight
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book actually had the best sentence to summarize it:

"You've been dead long enough to forget what night is."

I want it made clear I am NOT offering this sentence out of context.
It was in the book as is. dropped at the beginning of a paragraph.

The whole thing is a pronoun game nightmare. The main character is confused and wondering around. He has magic powers that he can sometimes use, sometimes not. Mostly not. Why? Why Not, the author seems to answer.
Victoria Haugen
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who is the Wizard Killer? He wakes up after being killed, not knowing who he is or where he is. Follow him as he seeks to find the answers. The story was told in segments, which really worked for me in this story. The narration really brought this to life, and I thought it an excellent story with excellent narration. I was drawn in and really enjoyed it. It's not tooo long, so you can jump right into the second season. Great stuff!
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and ha
Anthony
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I generally don't like fantasy outside of Robert Jordan or George R. R. Martin, but I'd thought I'd give this one a chance. Mostly because I saw several people that I trust recommend it. And it was super short.
This book just didn't click with me. The entire time I was looking to see how much longer I had to go. Not a good sign.
If you're a fantasy fiction fan, don't let my review sway you. This might be right up your alley. Just not mine.
Stephanie Galay
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Wizard Killer, Season One by Adam Dreece introduces a strange world where Magic is fleeting and scary beasts come with a memory and hold grudges.
The protagonist is lost to himself and we follow the nameless man on a journey to discover not only himself but the world he lives in.

This is not my go to genre but I thoughrouly enjoyed it thanks to Adam Dreece's amazing world buidling and masterful writing. I will read anything Adam writes.
Mitch
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The story was actually rather fun and I will be giving this one to my younger brother. My biggest issue here is the prose. It is just so awkward and knocks me right out of the book. The way the sentences are written just makes this unpleasant to read for me. I am sure younger or more pulpy book fans will eat this up. It just doesn't work for me.
Alston Antony
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-recommed
Listened to audiobook.

Really had high hopes for this but sadly the book was rushed and whole story, characters, situations were confusing and really hard to understand. After reading the book I really felt what did I just read because i didn't know what happen in the book.

I really didn't want to give it a 1 star but this is the first book I didn't like in this year of 2018.

• War-Bringer (Twinborn Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Queen of Death (The Lost Mark #3)
  • Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1)
  • Necromancer Awakening (The Mukhtaar Chronicles #1)
  • Invader Zim Vol. 3
  • Born With: Erika & Gianni
  • MythOS (Webmage, #4)
  • Heck Superhero
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • The Hill
  • Cowboys Don't Cry (Cowboys Don't, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Traveler
  • World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide
  • Dragon Ore (The Dawning of Power, #3)
  • The Savage Earth (The Vampire World Saga, #1)
  • Born of Water (The Rise of the Fifth Order, #1)
  • This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic
  • Rudolph!: He Is the Reason for the Season
In 2014, I stopped my "hopefully one day" dream of becoming an author, stopped doing nothing with my writing, and kicked off my indie author life. Twenty-five years of doing nothing with my writing was enough, and after two medical events, I was filled with drive to change my life.

I've written the much loved young adult series, The Yellow Hoods, a world where steampunk and fairy tale meet.

I

The Wizard Killer (2 books)
  • The Wizard Killer: Season 2