Start by marking “The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Fledgling

Jane Langton

The Fledgling

(Hall Family Chronicles #4)

Georgie Hall can fly, but down below there are people who want to keep her firmly on the ground--like her family and meddling neighbors.
Audiobook, 30 pages
Published December 3rd 2000 by Listening Library (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Fledgling, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4)
Esther May
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fledgling was one of my favorite books as a youth. My copy of this book is falling apart and had to be taped back together. I enjoy reading well loved books. I really connected with Georgie, who has a hideout, vivid imagination and thinks she can fly. Her family is concerned with her fascination and belief that she can fly; they worry that she will get hurt.
"Poor Georgie...She is too young to know the limits of human possibility. For Georgie, anything is possible! She lives entirely in the p
Jerry
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one did absolutely nothing for me.
Helena Sorensen
Love, love, love this book.
Drew Graham
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
I read this when I was a kid and it's one of the first books I remember LOVING. The idea of flying has always been magical to me and I thought that the premise of the Goose Prince at the magical late-night flights were thrilling. I decided to give this old favorite another go as an adult reader, and I'm sorry to say I just didn't love it. Precocious, introverted Georgie lives with her mother, stepfather and two older cousins in a house near Walden Pond, in the constant shadow of Thoreau's memory ...more
Coyora Dokusho
This book so amazing and awesome. I read it over and over again. I tried to fly. And I cried
Jim
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the only Newbery i've been unable to finish.
Brenda A
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was a book I read back in elementary school called The Diamond in the Window. It was an incredibly imaginative book that gripped me immediately, and it took me years as an adult to find another copy of it since it was discontinued.

There was another book I’ve had in my possession since childhood that inspired some very whimsical dreams. For years after I dreamed of flying with birds. When I rediscovered this one in my boxes, I was astounded.

Lo and behold, it’s the same author! Both books th
Cheryl
Took advantage of an opportunity to read this now, years before the Newbery club gets to it. Maybe this read will serve to 'warm me up to' the read with the group. Maybe not.

It just didn't do anything for me. I mean, who doesn't want to fly? But somehow it doesn't seem all that interesting the way Georgie does it. And what purpose do the adult 'villains' serve? Nutso.

The only interesting bit, imo, was Eleanor's reaction to the invasion of the tea-party, and that was only interesting while I tho
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Georgie is pretty sure she can fly. She thinks she’s done it before, and she keeps making attempts to do it again. Her mother and uncle are concerned for her safety, as are her cousins, but this doesn’t stop Georgie from developing a relationship with The Goose Prince, a mysterious bird who comes to Georgie’s bedroom window at night to take her flying. Unfortunately, two of the neighbors - Miss Prawn and Mr. Preek - have also noticed the bird
Barbara Gordon
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I remember hugely enjoying The Diamond in the Window as a child, and some years back re-reading it and reading The Swing in the Summerhouse with pleasure, I found The Fledgling disappointing.
How can a story about a little girl flying with wild geese be disappointing? Well, the flying sequences were good. On the earth, it was interesting to see Eleanor and Eddy from the outside, and to see Georgie develop as a character and person.
Where it fell down for me was the villains. Miss Prawn co
Gale
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
TO FLY: FAIRY, SPRITE OR SAINT?

Chalk up yet another book in the Kid and Bird category! Eight-year-old Georgie is small and spindly for her age; she looks much younger and even insists that she can fly! Her attempts using the stairs to launch her slender frame into space cause her family (mother, step-father and half siblings) great concern--enough to lead the teenagers to privately form the Georgie Protection Society.

When a flock of migrating Canadian geese takes up temporary residence at Wald
Kaye
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Fledgling” is a beautiful little gem of a book – at times comical, heartwarming, and sad. I think a great deal of my appreciation for it also stems from the fact that it came at the perfect time. Having just stayed in Concord, MA, visited Thoreau’s gravesite, and learned about the philosophy of transcendentalism, this story felt very familiar and alive.

However, it is more than the setting and atmosphere of the book alone which lent this book such beauty and wild grace. And although the plot
S Blaeske
Very odd book- still not sure if the author intention was to portray Georgie as just a child with a wild imagination, if supernatural things were really happening, or if Georgie was a child with special needs? I wanted to give up on this book so badly but kept going and found some deep and well written paragraphs later in the book. Still finished this book just feeling lost and not understanding the authors thinking for the book.

It’s definitely an out- dated book, with a few sentences calling G
Kater Cheek
I read this because my daughter recommended it to me. It's about a girl named Georgie who is obsessed with flying. She befriends a Canada goose, whom she calls the goose prince, who teaches her how to fly.
I love the idea of flying as much as anybody, but this book was only so-so for several reasons. For one, I didn't like many of the characters. The bad characters, Miss Prawn and Mr. Preek, were of course unlikeable for a reason, but I also didn't really fall in love with the rest of Georgie's f
Colton
The Fledgling is a fairy tale for modern children. The story is fairly simple - an outcast little girl meets a magical goose who teaches her how to fly. It manages to be cute, but not cutesy.

Jane Langton did not try to dumb down this story for younger readers, either. There are some very mature themes woven in here, like the sadness of growing up and the reality of feeling disconnected from friends and family. The writing is very well-done and beautiful at times.

The characters were introduced
Thomas Bell
I think this was not the book for me. Why? Because I'm not a 6 year old girl who thinks they can fly. Also, I agree that what they had was not a legitimate college and was a waste of time for those poor 'students' who should either be in real school or getting a job. Oh, well. Also, I was seriously disappointed with what the present ended up being. The author tried way too hard to be deep, with the ending but also throughout the entire book, but it just was really lame. Also, there was some fore ...more
Janeen-san
Aug 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spencer
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The way this book is written makes it seems to be realistic fiction. The events in the story make it seem to be pure fiction. But the point of the book is not to be pure fiction. At least it seemed to me that the point was to remind us what it was like to be a child. This book brings back the vaguest and most distant memories from childhood - the ones where we had experiences like Georgie does in the book.

I quite enjoyed the characters of Uncle Freddy (poor guy... though he studies Thoreau he ca
Kiwi Carlisle
This is one of Jane Langton’s most beloved children’s books, which somewhat mystifies me. The relationship between Georgie Hall and her Goose Prince is beautiful and it gives the book its heart, but what surrounds that heart isn’t so satisfying. Georgie’s family either doesn’t understand her, patronizes her, or tries to push her into being like other children. The horrible next door neighbor, Miss Prism, mistakes her for a saint and nearly gets her killed. She does get the Goose Prince killed. M ...more
Joy
Apr 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1981 Newbery Honor Book

I found nothing redeeming about this book. I only read it because it was on my list of Newbery books to read. I thought maybe it would be like The Trumpet of the Swan but it was nowhere near that quality. I have a feeling that there's supposed to be elements of transcendental philosophy in the writing but books that are overly philosophical tend to be horrible anyway.

Georgie is an 8 year old girl who is convinced she can fly. She lives with her mother and stepfather and t
Jordan Grieve
Emilyn
Feb 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves dissapointing endings
I have to say, the ending was VERY disappointing. It honestly, seemed like the author thought of the end first, thought it would be like, amazing or whatever, then made up a random story just to tie the ending into it, that ended up have NOTHING to do with anything that happened in the story. ARG!!!!! oh well. I'm over it now.
Jolee B
Dec 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty terrible book. I honestly wouldn't have finished but I was reading it with my son. At the end, I asked him what he thought and he said "um, that was sad. And weird." That pretty much sums it up. No character development. Horrible plot. And strange, sad ending. I'm mostly at awe that it won a Newberry award.
Jessica
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Langton wrote several books about a blended family living in Massachusetts, and this one was my favorite. Georgie, the youngest and shyest child, befriends a Canadian goose who teaches her how to fly. It's a magical, sweet, quiet book, and still delights me today.
Melissa
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgie lives in Concord, Mass. not far from Walden Pond. From her home her parents run "The Concord College of Transcendental Knowledge". This is a story of a child's wish to fly, her connection with animals (in this case a Canada goose), and finally a plea to take good care of the Earth.
Jenny
I wanted to know what happened but I couldn't finish it. The characters (the banker and the neighbor) were so annoying that I couldn't stand it any longer. I guess I am too old to read this book. (-:
Catherine
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newberry
This Newbery Honor book felt dated. I thought the parents were weak, and should have protected Georgie - especially her mother. I found the villains one dimensional, and the ending was awful. I liked the growth in Georgie and how her cousins watched over her.
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A soaring, sobbing, wondrous books about something I literally dream of often. Although I read this book several years ago, I still think about it often.
Audrey Zarr
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books from when I was younger. It is also one of the books I own so I can re-read it; which is a rare thing for me.
Olivia Reagan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Young girl who can fly... Goose [s] 3 483 Nov 09, 2018 09:37PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA book, probably from 70s or 80s, featuring a swan? [s] 5 37 Jan 22, 2017 08:04AM
Rating and Review? 2 6 Sep 14, 2014 07:04AM

• A Ring of Endless Light (Austin Family Chronicles, #4)
  • Abel's Island
  • Miracles on Maple Hill
  • Upon the Head of the Goat: A Childhood in Hungary 1939-1944
  • A String in the Harp
  • Jacob Have I Loved
  • Waterless Mountain
  • The Road from Home: A True Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • The Summer of the Swans
  • A Solitary Blue (Tillerman Cycle, #3)
  • The Black Pearl
  • The Family Under the Bridge
  • A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers
  • Doctor De Soto
  • My Brother Sam Is Dead
  • After the Rain
  • Rascal
  • Onion John
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch

Hall Family Chronicles (8 books)
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • The Astonishing Stereoscope (Hall Family Chronicles #3)
  • The Fragile Flag (Hall Family Chronicles #5)
  • The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6)
  • The Mysterious Circus (Hall Family Chronicles #7)
  • The Dragon Tree (Hall Family Chronicles #8)