Start by marking “Freefall” as Want to Read:
Freefall

Freefall

In the Upperworld, the privileged 1% are getting ready to abandon a devastated planet Earth. And Cam can’t wait to leave. After sleeping through a 1,000-year journey, he and his friends will have a pristine new planet to colonize. And no more worries about the Lowerworld and its 99% of rejects.

Then Cam sees a banned video feed of protesters in the Lowerworld who also want
Published September 26th 2017 by McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Freefall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freefall

Start your review of Freefall
Chelsea Humphrey
This review was featured on my Mini Review Monday segment:

3.5 STARS

I found Freefall to be a fast paced, intriguing read that, while not perfect, was certainly enjoyable. I was a bit torn on my overall feelings, which is why I went with a 3 star rating, but felt it had just enough umph to give it that extra half star increase. That's a long description above and it tells you just about everything you need to know for the story, so I'll just dive into what I thought about it. The narrative is ever
Ben Alderson
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Realy enjoyable, fast-paced story.
Joshua has once again created a world of interest and relatable characters.

I did find the since confusing, but I never was able to grasp the subject at school.
Really SCI-FI with a dash of horror.
So good!
Carrie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In the year 2151 Earth is ruled by the 1% of rich and elite that live in the Upperworld. Cam has been raised in Upperworld all of his life and is now training to join a mission to take citizens to a new planet now that Earth is dying out. The voyage will have the passengers sleeping through a 1000 year journey to a new pristine planet to colonize but those of the Lowerworld are not happy to be left behind.

At the forefront of the uprising in the Lowerworld is Sophie and when Cam sees her on a vi
Sheila Goicea
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Illuminae Files
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!

*Add on to my #ARCAugust tag reading list!

Release date September 26, 2017!
"We are the world's people! We have come to you not as beggars pleading for a handout, but as children of the Almighty, demanding at long last the rights we have been denied. You may hide behind your walls of wealth, walls built by the blood and suffering of our people, but those walls will not hold forever. They will fall, as do
Kat Ross
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will we be living in some version of Josh Bellin's vividly imagined political satire-slash-sci-fi thriller in the next thirty to forty years? Or, ahem, even the next four? I hope not, but this author (of the wonderful duology SURVIVAL COLONY NINE and SCAVENGER OF SOULS) has all the chops to turn such a dystopian scenario, where the world is firmly under the thumb of greedy, soulless corporate overlords, into a page-turning space opera that is pure pleasure from start to finish.

Chapters alternate
☘Tara Sheehan☘
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It would be easy to dismiss this as yet another dystopian novel in the SciFi genre; another socio-examination of politics, disparate economic issues, and the unfairness that inevitably follows when the minority get to call all the shots for the majority. Somehow the author rose above the stereotypes and clichés to bring something unique; something more than a SciFi-ish version of the Hunger Games.

There is whispers of revenge, anger, and despair but also hope, love and the belief there should be
alice (arctic books)
DNF at page 45.

I've been on some kind of sci-fi streak recently, and the premise was interesting, but I could not finish this book. A few chapters into the book introduces us to the world and why the top 1% of the population are going into space, but frankly, the prose was so incredibly tedious - paragraphs detailing the why and the how took up literal P A G E S. Looking at these pages gave me headaches.

Overall, if you enjoy sci-fi and if you can stand a major info-dump in the beginning of the
Margo Kelly
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Freefall is Joshua David Bellin's third novel published through Simon & Schuster, and this book does not disappoint. Often times, I struggle to follow a non-linear narration, but Bellin handled the narrative skillfully and I actually found myself highly engaged when jumping back and forth in the story's timeline.

With the story set in space in the future, Bellin utilizes fun word plays such as "corponations" and "MexSanto" to help build the world of the novel. The words I did not enjoy as much we
Lauren ✨ (TheBookishTwins)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley for review purposes.

Freefall follows the journey of Cam, a privileged member of the elite, also known as the Upperworld. They're getting ready to abandon the devastated planet Earth, leaving the Lowerworld to die along with the planet. A 1,000 year long deep sleep and the privileged Upperworld can colonize a new planet. But when Cam sees prohibited footage of the Lowerworld protests, he feels a connection to a girl named
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

Freefall, by author Joshua David Bellin, is a standalone, young adult, science fiction, space opera featuring Cameron Newell, with guest appearances by Sofie Patel, the object of his obsession. The story alternates between the years 2151 & 3151. In the year 2151, Cam, his friends Griffin and Adrian, and their hot shot families are preparing to leave Earth for a new planet called Tau Ceti E. They are part of what is calle
April
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
This story follows Cam: Upperworld (Earth's white upper-class, the privileged, the 1%ers) boy and Sofie: Lowerworld (Earth's non-white lower-class "terrarists", the 99%, the rejects) girl and prophet of the masses. It is a story of alternating time-periods. 3151 when the ship meant to take the few and lucky away from a destroyed Earth (in a huge ship full of pods of humans in a 1,000-year-long deep sleep), crash-lands on a seemingly dead planet which was NOT the original destination. And 2151, w ...more
Yvonne Ventresca
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
In 2151, humans have ruined the planet Earth. In an attempt to save the human race, they will send two spaceships of people to other planets, waking up 1000 years in the future. But nothing goes as planned when both ships land in the same uninhabitable place among a desolate landscape where deadly creatures lurk in the shadows and unethical leaders remain in charge. Friendships are tested and unexpected betrayals occur as Cam hopes to reunite with his true love and somehow save the remaining sur ...more
Sarah E.
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was gifted this ebook via Netgalley.
I usually try to get two chapters into a book before I decide to put it down, but I didn't get very far with this one. The description of the Lowerworld people really rubbed me the wrong way. Reading from Cam's perspective was not going to work for me. I hate to feel that way towards a character, but I cannot force myself through a book if I don't like reading it.
julianna ➹
DNF.

When I read the synopsis for this book, honestly? I was confused. The synopsis set the book in "a thousand years after Cam gets off the ship" and Cam had to solve a mystery relating to a girl he met a thousand years before. I was intrigued, though!

This book switches perspectives between Cam who's ON the new planet vs. Cam BEFORE he got onto the ship to the new planet. It was a unique take on narrating and I liked the creativity!

I've enjoyed lots of sci-fi, but this one just didn't really...
i fall in love book blog
3.5 Stars

Freefall by Joshua David Bellin is a YA dystopian space adventure with a touch of love. I would not go into it specifically for the romance because that was the weakest aspect of the book. The romance was less than mediocre, and it needed to be incredibly ramped up or completely taken out. Cam was feeling insta-love to the extreme and Sofie didn't seem to reciprocate.
I definitely enjoyed the world building here. Earth is dying, corporations run the world and there are no formally recogn
Amanda "Amy"
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
OK just no. I hate rating books so low, but this book had all of the ew elements that make a really bad teen scifi. It had, first of all, really bad language, and that made the character and writing seem crude. Second of all, insta love. If you could even call it love. It was more like lust, and you actually never got a good perspective of how either of them felt.
Third, it was choppy story telling the way it was written. It started in two separate spots, with the same main character, and it swi
Alyssa
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways, arc
This book tells about Cameron's story on Earth in the year 2151 and year 3151. In the year 2151, Earth is beginning to be unhabitable that's why people are moving to a new planet. To do that, people have to be under deepsleep and travel for 1000 years to reach their new home.

When you read the plot, it definitely sounds so interesting. But this was one of the books that was actually quite hard to finish. I just think that it had to much politics in it to be enjoyable. And since I'm the type of pe
Sam Rubin
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did not like the writing style or the plot itself. Also the switching of two different settings was confusing.
Dorine White
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The earth has come to its end and people must now leave the planet or die. The Upperworld people have built a large spaceship, but it will only hold 1% of the population. Cam is one of the lucky ones that gets to leave and have a new life. However, one day he watches an illegal broadcast about the people that live in the Lowerworld and his heart flips over Sophie, a young leader of her people.

He risks everything to find her and join her cause, equal treatment for Lowerworlders and inclusion into
Larry Ivkovich
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
FREEFALL
by Joshua David Bellin
On many levels, Freefall, by Joshua Bellin is much, much more than a Young Adult science fiction adventure. Extremely well written, provocative, and expertly imagined, this Older Adult reader was impressed.
Freefall, though taking place on a future Earth and beyond, resonates with a number of topical issues from today’s fractured society. The narrative explores immigration, racism, poverty, friendship, young love in sometimes powerful and moving passages.
As part of
Darlene
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fate of the human race hangs on the actions of two teens from very different backgrounds in this thrilling sci-fi adventure.

Then Cam sees a banned video feed of protesters in the Lowerworld who also wa
Jennybeast
Nov 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Christine
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Make no mistake, FREEFALL by Joshua Bellin is clearly a swoon-worthy Romance. However, it is also a socio-ecological-economical-political treatise set in a futuristic sci-fi world. This story is told from Cam Newell's point-of-view in an authentic male teen voice and emotions.

Teachers, I recommend this novel for reluctant readers. I haven't seen the Lexile rating, but I doubt it's above a 6.5. The time and place shifts consistently, alternating between past on Earth and present on a distance pl
Adria Kelleher
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For those who have read Joshua Bellin’s riveting duology following Querry Genn as he and his colony try to survive in a hostile environment, Survival Colony 9 and Scavenger of Souls, it would seem that Bellin exhausted his imaginative trove of scary creatures and diabolical humans. Not so. Bellin’s latest sci-fi fantasy of post-apocalyptic Earth, Freefall, provides another sobering look at environmental devastation and human frailties.

Bellin retains a teenage protagonist in his new contribution
Adam E
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
One word that I would use to describe this book: unique. This word represents just the book in general, because of multiple things, including the writing style, the story itself, and the new futuristic worlds that the author creates.
As I was reading this book, there were many things that I liked, but also many things that I disliked. For example, I loved how the author would describe the differences between the "Lowerworld" and the "Upperworld," which in this society, are the poor and the rich.
Claudine
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a freshman in high school, I was reading the book Freefall by David Bellin. As I read the book I recognized that the book had a magnetic pull. Bellin wrote the story from a privileged upper class citizens view, Cam, who meets Sofie, a lower class destitute citizen. It drew my attention in with its undeniable climate change realization. Bellin used his climate change knowledge to show the realistic aspect that humans play in the role of climate change. As a result he used the personal stories ...more
Kasey Cocoa
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This read is a blend of intriguing plot and disappointing sudden emotional attraction (instant love). Overall the book is well-written although at times the wording feels unnecessarily complicated. The science side of things sounds solid and flows with the overall plot thus giving credence to the situations and reasoning although there is an overabundance of information provided that I didn't feel was necessary to enjoy the book. I wasn't thrilled with the choice of words or descriptions for the ...more
Sandy Eichelberger
This science fiction tale centers on earth, a dying planet, and the planned re-settlement of colonies on planets light-years away. Cam is set to go with a privileged group of earthlings who will travel for 1,000 years to a planet that can sustain human life. Before he leaves, he sees a video of rebels protesting the fate facing the Lowerworlders who will not get the opportunity to escape the dying planet. Cam is transfixed by one of the rebel leaders, a girl named Sophia. He’s obsessed with meet ...more
Hunter Vallad
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book to have a slow start, but a very interesting topic. The book is about a guy named Cam who lives in the top 1% families of the world, called the Upperworld. The Upperworld has control of the world, over the Lowerworld, and there is extreme prejudice against them. The planet is dying and the world decides to take 1% of the Upperworld to a new planet. The main character, Cam, is one of these passengers, and before he leaves, he finds a banned video and meets a revolutionary leader ...more
Samantha Myers
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of this via Netgalley and Margaret K. McElderry Books in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this but I didn't. I had two big problems. The insta love aspect that the protagonist, Cam, feels for the girl he sees, Sofie. I also had a problem with the Terrarists - the Low world protesters (it's most likely an earth pun but they were described in a way that left me feeling not so great).

Aside from that I loved the world building in this I think it was really well thoug
Empty Shelfie Boo...: Freefall 2 34 Mar 16, 2018 09:53PM

• Once Upon a Dream
  • Agnes at the End of the World
  • Invictus
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Blacker: A Memoir in Essays
  • Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland
  • Reflection
  • The Unfairest of Them All (Ever After High, #2)
  • The Heroic Slave
  • Missing, Presumed Dead
  • A Wonderlandiful World (Ever After High, #3)
  • This Mortal Coil (This Mortal Coil, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Wife (Betrothed, #1)
  • The Line Between (The Line Between #1)
  • Nyxia Unleashed (The Nyxia Triad, #2)
  • Flunked (Fairy Tale Reform School, #1)
I've been writing novels since I was eight years old (though the first few were admittedly very short). A college teacher by day, I've published numerous works of science fiction and fantasy: the Querry Genn Saga (SURVIVAL COLONY 9 and SCAVENGER OF SOULS), the deep-space adventure FREEFALL, and the 4-part Ecosystem Cycle (ECOSYSTEM, THE DEVOURING LAND, HOUSE OF EARTH, HOUSE OF STONE, and THE LAST ...more