Start by marking “Hex on the Beach (The Magic & Mixology Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hex on the Beach (The Magic & Mixology Mystery, #1)

Hex on the Beach

(The Magic In Mixology Mystery #1)

Welcome to The Isle...

Lily Locke has never believed in witches and wizards, ghosts and magic, shifters and vampires—especially cute blonde vamps with blood-intolerance issues. A rising star at a hotshot marketing agency in Minneapolis, Minnesota, all Lily knows is that she’s a PowerPoint guru, an Excel ninja, and a coffee-maker extraordinaire. Not to mention she’s next in li
Published April 29th 2016 by LaManna Books

To ask other readers questions about Hex on the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hex on the Beach

Sue
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just didn't do it for me, I had such high hopes (WAS a huge fan of Stephanie Plum and Harry Potter). After reading it (It's closer to Stephanie Plum and really has none of the wonder and magic of HP). I think I've outgrown Stephanie Plum type silliness, rating reflects that.
Emalie
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Going into Hex On The Beach I didn't know what to expect exactly, because it was my first book by Gina LaManna and I just knew that this wouldn't be a typical book about witches.

I really liked the idea of a girl - Lily - being the fated mixologist on a weird island with weird people, for example a vampire who has a blood intolerance and a shifter, who is unable to shift into anything scarier than a kitten, aka her cousins.

Lily's interaction with her family was quite funny, bec
Jessica
Oct 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Lily, 26, finds out she's a witch and moves to secret island to learn witchcraft. I'm in, but wait, this all read like a YA book that's got the controlling cute boy. Ugh.

I couldn't keep any of Lily's new family characters straight. They all, and I mean ALL, the female characters sounded like they were in high school. Even the mothers of these "almost thirty" year old cousins. They talk about cute boys, and "oooh did you KISS him?" Begin teenage squealing. And.... I'm out.

Josie Shinkfield
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a light, fun read - if somewhat a bit silly at times.
There were some things that were totally skimmed over, or ignored (and if I were Lily, I'd have been demanding answers). IMO the story really needed to be fleshed out some more.

photo raw_zpsr1lnvnjo.gif

I'm not sure if I'll bother continuing with this series. It had so much potential, but just fell flat.
NicoleG
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! I can't wait to read more in the series!
Sally906
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun read - only complaint - the story had finished for this adventure but there is a last minute cliff hanger to lead you into the next book.
Joy Novel Thoughts
I think that Gina LaManna's books get better every time she publishes!

I'm typically not into magic, shifters, vampires, witches, etc. But with the humorous twist that Gina puts on Hex on the Beach had me intrigued from the beginning!

Hex on the Beach is such a magical book! I was taken for such a fun ride from a mundane office job to an island, unlike anything I have ever experienced in real life for fiction.  Along with these fun times, we still had a mystery that needed
i fall in love book blog
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book. It just made me happy and giddy, and put me in a good mood. It is a fantasy, but a humorous type of fantasy set in a contemporary world. This book is currently part of the "Prime Reading membership", so I was able to read it for free through my Amazon Prime membership. It was well worth the time spent reading it, and I'm considering picking up a copy to own.

I picked up this book on the recommendation of two different bloggers I follow. I've heard it described as Stephani
Merry Chapman
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gina LaManna has started a new series! As soon as I started this book I couldn't put it down except to eat and sleep! This book is a laugh out loud romp through the world of Magic and Witches! the protagonist is at first unwilling to accept her fate, but once she has...all things crazy happens. Each and every character we are introduced to in this book is so quirky and crazy you can't help but be entertained nor can you wait to find out what could possibly happen next! Surprises and twists and t ...more
Jill
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is so much that made me love reading this book as a relaxing read, but can I just start by remarking on how freaking adorable Ranger X (aka my new book boyfriend) is??

He has got tall, dark, handsome and dangerous down, and I get the impression he can smirk and be sarcastic like it is his freaking job, but he also gets slightly awkward around Lily sometimes WHICH IS SO ADORABLE. Hes definitely Dangerous with a capital D but you also see his sweet side which is so freaking cute.
Barb
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just hearing the words “romance novel” makes me envision tearing bodices and throbbing manhoods. So why is it I just gave 4 stars to a romance novel? I couldn’t help enjoying this quick little beach book about a witch who knows nothing of her family or background until her two aunties send a mysterious assistant to give her a surprise quiz that proves she has a healthy dose of her mother’s genes.

Lily is convinced to join them on an island conjured by the spooks of the world (witches,
Gillian Murrell
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Hex on the Beach could have been a really good book. I'm not saying it was bad as it was funny and the ideas was interesting but this book needs a lot more work on it. The characters need to be developed a lot more and one of my pet hates the obvious things that Lily should have been asking were not even considered. Come on it stands out a mile that you should have asked where is my mum is she alive what happened that make her leave the island, how did you get the other half of my mums necklace ...more
Pam
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, libby-hoopla
Light, happy romance/paranormal...just fun!
Cindy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just not my usual reading genre. If you like problems solve by magic, jarring shifts in story line, and some really wacky characters, try this book. For me, these factors should have made it a skip.
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2017 marked it as dnf
I am going to DNF this book. I've just outgrown these type of books i think. not my thing anymore. I'm pretty sure this was a cover buy for me. :). maybe someday i'll come back to it but for i'm done with it.
KAREN SPANG
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bring on the next

Could not put it down. It's fast moving and a bit different from other similar stories. I do wonder why Lily did not ask more questions about her mother and what is her father doing. Hopefully some answers in the next book.
Louise Ennesser
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is book one of the Magic and Mixology Series a lighthearted mystery that is just fun. Magicical bartending....great to add to any summer reading list.
Barbara Hackel
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't think of any book about magic that had a better beginning than this book! From the newscast (that Lilly ignores as Ainsley talks about it) to the magical quiz, I couldn't read fast enough to see what was going to happen next. When we finally get to the Isle, I was delighted with Gina's magical descriptions and inspiration. The icing on the cake was the acceptance of Lilly's family and the happiness Lilly experienced as she got to know them better. I have read many magical inspired books, ...more
Monique
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Gina La Manna for a while now and I can honestly say that her writing is going from strength to strength with each new book. And this one has been my favourite so far. I loved this first book in this series and can not wait to get to find out what else is installed for the witches on the Isle. And more importantly, I want more of Ranger X!

The story starts out with Lily preparing for a presentation for her marketing job. Little does she know that her presentation
Jeanie Jackson
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hex on the Beach is a fun light paranormal mystery. While it is obviously laying a solid foundation for the future, I found that if flowed smoothly and presented plenty of action as well as delightful interactions among the characters.

Marketing expert and amateur mixologist, Lily Locke, discovers that her talents for creating new drinks comes from a surprise source, her witch heritage. A heritage of which she had no knowledge and in which has very little believe until she is carried
Kat Lebo
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Hex on the Beach (The Magic & Mixology Mystery Series Book 1)
by Gina LaManna

This was a new author and a new series to me (although I believe the second book in the series just came out about a week ago). I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, found the book to be well written, the characters well developed (and easy to identify with), the editing and proofreading to be top notch, grammar, spelling, syntax all excellent. So why only 3 stars? A very definite and intentional cliffhang
Cindy
I decided to read this book after seeing an ad for it on Facebook. The ad touted the story as a cross between Harry Potter and Stephanie Plum. It's not.

I don't hate the book. I went on to read the second book in the series, though when the third book is released next week I don't think I'll bother with it.

Things that makes this story like Harry Potter:
There is magic.
Witches and wizards live apart from humans.
Weird people showed up to tell the main character she was
Ksandra
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I bought this book, I thought it might be a cheesy fantasy. Well it is in it's own way, but it's also more than that.

Equal parts fun, thrilling, and a touch romantic, this novel follow the journey of Lily. She learns that she is descended from Witches that live on the Isle - a magical place hidden from humans. Most witches are content with this. However, a group called the Faction is determined to wipe out humanity.

Leaving her human life out of curiosity, Lily is told she is the new Mixol
Shannon
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gina LaManna has hit upon another wonderful series! I'm very finicky about paranormal reading because it tends to lend itself to unbelievable strangeness but Gina did a wonderful job making this story seem very plausible.
I'm looking forward to her next installment, Witchy Sour, in June! Thanks for another great read, Gina!
Theresa Kelso
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lily kind of reminds me of how I might be, not really sure of all the new info, but not able to deny it, so get with the program cause she’s dragged in anyway! Good reading, quirky and fun!
Carol
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good Read!

Fast paced, romantic, with a touch of mystery and action thrown in. This is the first of Gina LaMannas books I've read and it won't be the last.
Cierra McCauley (Cierra's Corner)
Loved!!

This was definitely interesting! I loved it! Lots of laughs and excitement! A sexy Ranger! Crazy family and Spells! It's perfect!
Kelly
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Not well done, at all. Interesting premise...lacks likeable characters and a well developed plot. Obvious story arc. Skip it.
Cory
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
The main character is too much of a brat to me. I could not get pass chapter six.
Shellie Mazzella
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

Cute, funny, intriguing. I can't wait to read what happens next to Lilly and ranger x and the west isle witches.

• Enthralled (Viking Lore, #1)
  • Forgotten Sins (Haven #3)
  • Midnight Moonrising  (Moonrising, #1)
  • Trust in Me (Protector, #2)
  • Killer Riff (Molly Forrester Mystery, #4)
  • Beneath the Skin
  • Sunny Sweet Is So Not Sorry
  • Shadows of Fate (Shadow Born, #1)
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • Another Man Will
  • Fire & Shadow (Hand of Kali, #1)
  • Blood Tied (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #2)
  • The Baine Chronicles Series, Books 1-3: Burned by Magic, Bound by Magic, Hunted by Magic
  • Town in a Strawberry Swirl (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #5)
  • 367 Days (Investigators, #1)
  • Haunted Wolves (Green Pines, #2)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)
  • The Book of Obeah
Originally from St. Paul, Minnesota, Gina LaManna has also called Italy and Los Angeles home. After studying numbers and equations in college, she realized multiple choice tests were “just not for her” and began writing books instead. She loves cappuccino foam and whipped cream and would subsist solely on sprinkles if possible. She currently lives in St. Paul with her wonderful husband and family.

The Magic In Mixology Mystery (6 books)
  • Witchy Sour (The Magic & Mixology Mystery, #2)
  • Jinx and Tonic (The Magic & Mixology Mystery #3)
  • Long Isle Iced Tea (The Magic & Mixology Mystery #4)
  • Amuletto Kiss (The Magic & Mixology Mystery #5)
  • Spelldriver (The Magic & Mixology Mystery #6)
“There’d been nobody to comfort me and, therefore, no reason to cry.” 1 likes
“My insides warmed, and to my dismay, the unfamiliar prick of tears in my eyes startled me. I hadn’t cried in years. There’d been nobody to comfort me and, therefore, no reason to cry. But” 1 likes