Start by marking “Sweetheart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sweetheart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #2)

Sweetheart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  16,811 Ratings  ·  1,304 Reviews

Portland detective Archie Sheridan, the former head of the Beauty Killer Task Force, hunted Gretchen Lowell for years before she kidnapped him, tortured him, and then let him go. Now that she is behind bars, Archie is finally piecing his life back together. He's returned home to his ex-wife and their two children. But no matter how hard Archie tries, he just can't stop t

Published September 2nd 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
To all those people who have recommended Chelsea Cain to me over the years - you are entitled to beat me over the head. WHY did I wait so long to read her?

Whoever thought I would fall in thrall to a serial killer? Gretchen Lowell is in a class all of her own.

As is Chelsea Cain.

I feel a Chelsea Cain reading binge coming on........
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Serial killer Gretchen Lowell is back in Chelsea Cain’s new novel “Sweetheart,” a follow-up to her best-selling “Heartsick.”
Portland detective Archie Sheridan, has moved back in with his family, and is still struggling with pills and is going through withdrawal from the psycho Gretchen, who he quit visiting in prison.
Archie is investigating a murder case after the body of a young woman turns up in a park.
“The woman had been dead awhile. Her skull was exposed; her scalp had been pulled back,
Lisa
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about this book Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain is that its a real page turner it had everything that a thriller of a high standard should have, senators having affairs with 14 year old girl he ends up dead so does the girl, then its Archie's sick twisted obsession with Gretchen Lowell their relationship reminds me of a fatal attraction of the worst kind, as its affecting his marriage to Debbie who sits at home waiting for his return only to find his mind is always somewhere else.

Just a
Erin
I didn't intend to finish two books in one but that's just how I happened to spend my Saturday. When I originally cancelled my weekend plans it was because I assumed I would be suffering from a rebound migraine. Luckily I'm migraine-free and what better way to spend a beautiful Saturday in June but by staying inside to binge read. In my earlier review for Heartsick I said I planned to finish reading this by the end of summer but I might finish it by Friday if I keep reading like this.

Sweetheart
Michael
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008, mystery
Chelsea Cain's follow-up to her "Heartsick" reunites readers with Susan Ward, Archie Sheridan and serial killer Gretchen Lowell for a fast-paced story that works better if you just switch off your disbelief and just go with the story.

Picking up a few months after the end of "Heartsick," Archie has stopped visiting Gretchen, but remains obsessed with her. He's in the midst of trying to solve a case involving a body in a local park. Susan is hot on the trail of a story involving a local Senator wh
Monica
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Fantastic!! Such an unusual serial killer.... I was enthralled through the entire book. No slow beginning, or getting lost with too many characters. Great conclusion with just enough enticement for you to search out the next novel.

Highly recommend for all mystery/thriller lovers!
✨Susan✨
I liked how this book picked right up the end of the first book. Parts of this were a little unbelievable but the story was strong enough to carry my attention through to the end. It was interesting how Chelsea Cain sucks you into wanting to know what gruesome thing will happen next. It's kind of like not being able to not watch a train wreck. This was a buddy read and we are all caught up in the characters, it's an interesting difference to read about a female killer. Looking forward to the nex ...more
Brooke
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, thriller
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Another Stunning Thriller - 5 Stars

I rarely have the sense that a novel is truly "thrilling". Despite claims that a story will keep me on the edge of my seat, I rarely experience the phenomenon. Sweetheart is one of the few books that truly left me feeling "thrilled". It is exciting, twisting and a down right good time.

Plot Outline

The lead character, Archie, is working toward a sense of normalcy. He has returned to live with his family, he no longer sees o
Debra
Stephen King says about the first 2 books in series: "We've been down Hannibal Lecter Avenue many times, and these two books shouldn't work...but they do. Chalk it up to excellent writing and Cain's ferocious sense of humor. The Portland (Ore.) setting is refreshing too."

I really enjoyed this series and am looking forward to book 4. Evil and compelling female serial killer and interesting stockhold syndrome explored. Can get pretty gruesome at times, so not for the squeamish. Highly recommended
Emily
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have to say I almost gave up on the series after this book. I was about half way through it, riding in a car for hours on end, and trying not to vomit from the massively damaging spiral of Archie Sheridan's psyche and Gretchen Lowell's crazy ass hold over him. And also a little bit of carsickness. But not the point.

This book is the definitive be all end all of their catastrophic relationship. It builds, it terrorizes and it comes to a head in the middle that makes you want to throw the book a
Lena
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, serial-killer

Decent sequel to something special but nothing memorable.

Archie’s relationship with Gretchen Lowell is the most twisted in the crime thriller genre. It pushes the love/hate tension to its extremes. But there wasn’t enough Gretchen in this book.

I’m glad the senator Castle side plot resolved itself. I wanted justice but it was getting boring.

It was enormously disappointing that the ensemble cast dynamic, that had such promise, evaporated.

Regardless of the series title I don’t see Gretchen being a
☮Karen
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, read-in-2015
Sick book, like its predecessor, which is why it took me 5 years to finally borrow this one. I again found the storyline very deranged and gruesome, and a little hard to believe. Many opportunities to end the terror presented themselves, and still the characters failed to latch onto those opportunities. Surely the reason for that was so that #3 in the series could be published, yet I am not sure I will latch onto that opportunity. Except that I do own that book, and Archie sort of fascinates me, ...more
Janie Johnson
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
This was another great installment to the Heartsick series. I enjoyed it a great deal. I am thinking that Cain is growing as an author the more she writes this series, and I expect that the rest of the series will be awesome. At first I thought this book was gonna be very predictable, but it ended up not being that way at all.

I really liked Susan in this book, she is growing and becoming much more likeable. She still makes some stupid mistakes but she is getting there. I think Cain is doing well
Maya
Aug 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2011
Shaun
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book for the same reasons I loved the first.

The relationship between Gretchen and Archie is exceptionally well done. There is something about flawed characters who are aware of their flaws that is compelling. The supporting characters are also interesting.

I read quite a bit and as a result often see the plot twists coming, but Cain somehow managed to surprise me (and more than once) in this sequel to Heartsick.

The only weakness is the convergence of the background stories, which is
*TANYA*
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
I'm so addicted to this series. As of right now it's one of my favorites. On to the next one....
Sara Kate
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gretchen is a psyco and she is taking Archie right along with her. I'm almost scared to pick up the next book to see where this crazy story goes.
But of course I will.
Katie(babs)
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Archie and Gretchen’s relationship is disturbing and morbid, and Cain pushes it up a notch in the sequel, Sweetheart. Trying to figure out why these two are so stuck on each other is the fun in reading. They are each other nemesis, the ultimate good and evil battling over each other souls. They know each other, oh so well, much like lovers, which in a way they very much are, at least in their minds. They are each other’s poison as well as breathing life into one another. You know those people wh ...more
Siobhan
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweetheart is the second book in the Archie Sheridan and Gretchen Lowell series, and I’m annoyed with myself for waiting so long to read it. Don’t get me wrong, I hadn’t planned on waiting so long to read it: I just found it hard to find the book for a reasonable price. After finishing the first book and having a lot of fun with it, I was constantly on the lookout for Sweetheart selling at a decent price.

Was the wait worth it? Yes, it was certainly worth it.

The series seems to have been made wi
➸ Gwen de Sade
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
*5 shining stars*

It certainly isn't flawless but I cannot give this enthralling and crazy book any less than five stars.

I'm totally addicted to this series. Caine's characters strike all your emotions, love, hate, pity, anger, fear, surprise and sadness - how unusual! Plus: I love Archie Sheridan. He's a very interesting protagonist with a lot of flaws. He makes mistakes (aaaa lot!), wrong decisions (aaaaa looot!), but I'll always root for him, no matter what.

You wanna see how he looks like
Lee
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Firstly thank you to my Goodreads friend Lisa for recommending this book to me, I had not read any of Chelsea Cain's work before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ms Cain really knows how to tell a story, fatal and twisted relationships, power, obsession, tension and suspence are all ingredients to make for an exciting story and that is definitely what is happening here. Great characters, fast paced, definitely on the dark side but very enjoyable.
Christy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I didn't read the first book in this series and I'm mad at myself for that but, I don't think it mattered to much because I pretty much figured it out. Loved it! I am definitely getting the next book as soon as I can.
Janet
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than book one. Review to follow.
Marie
Wow for this second book! This book picked up where the first one left off. There was a little more action, more intrigue, and suspense.

Archie Sheridan is still trying to come to grips in his relationship with Gretchen Lowell a/k/a the serial killer as he tries to repair his relationship with his wife at the same time. Things go awry when Gretchen escapes prison and Archie is back out there trying to recapture her.

In the meantime, there is Senator Castle who is wrapped up in something that coul
Danni The Girl
So I was excited to see what happens in this one after reading the first one.

I didn't like it as much as the first one as this one is not as gory as the first one. The first one had chapters that went back in time to when Gretchen had captured Archie. Sweetheart has two stories running alongside each other that then entwine into one.
I do really like the characters Susan Ward and her mum Bliss. Susan really develops for me in this story and she really becomes a great part of the team I feel.

I
Nick Davies
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
For the first half (or so) of this, I was relatively happy reading this, knowing it was a silly, trashy, OTT American crime thriller. Generic and predictable, full of cliché, but nevertheless a decent enough amusement.

In the end though, the second half p*ssed me off somewhat and I have ended up putting the book in my pile to take to the charity shop at my earliest opportunity. Life is too short to read such poor examples of the genre - examples which trot out every stereotype on the block (grizz
Beth
A couple weeks ago I was looking through the used book section at work and I came across The Night Season and it sounded SO GOOD. But then I found out it was the fourth book in a series that I hadn't heard of before let alone read or owned any of the books. So, I did what any sane person would do. I bought the whole series (minus book 2 because our store didn't have it) and started the first one right away with high hopes that it didn't suck.

And it didn't! So I finished the first book and I just
Robin
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oregon-author
Wow. Cain's second book in the Sheridan/Lowell series is just as compelling as the first book, HEARTSICK. For those of you not in the know, HEARTSICK started the series with the story of Archie Sheridan, a Portland homicide detective, and Gretchen Lowell, the gorgeous serial killer that tortured and almost killed Archie, but for some reason left him alive. Unfortunatley, he is connected to Gretchen in a strange and horrible way and even though she is housed in the Oregon State Prison, their conn ...more
Doubts 5 32 Mar 14, 2014 08:36AM
Bookworm Buddies: Sweetheart, Evil at Heart, & The night Season 24 29 Apr 05, 2013 03:18PM
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Sacrificial Muse (Sabrina Vaughn #2)
  • The Girls He Adored
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Play Dead (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #4)
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
Chelsea Cain is the New York Times bestselling author of the Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell thrillers Heartsick, Sweetheart, Evil at Heart, The Night Season, Kill You Twice, and Let Me Go. Her next book One Kick (August, 2014) will be the first in her Kick Lannigan thriller series. Her book Heartsick was named one of the best 100 thrillers ever written by NPR, and Heartsick and Sweetheart were na ...more
More about Chelsea Cain

Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell (6 books)
  • Heartsick (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #1)
  • Evil at Heart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #3)
  • The Night Season (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #4)
  • Kill You Twice (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #5)
  • Let Me Go (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Sometimes I Lie: A Novel
  • Force of Nature
  • Bonfire
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Before the Fall
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Debbie often talked about Gretchen as if she was his mistress. But to Archie it sometimes felt like the other way around. As if, by moving back in with his ex-wife, he was cheating on Gretchen.
That was probably worthy of bringing up in therapy”
8 likes
“I like to think of you not being able to end your suffering,' she said.
'I like to think of you not being able to satisfy your blood-lust,' he said.”
6 likes