Start by marking “Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress

Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,146 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
The world-famous, much-loved classic Pilgrim’s Progress is here retold for children. This abridged version uses the original words of John Bunyan as selected by Oliver Hunkin to present a gripping narrative. Filled with intricately detailed illustrations, this handsome, large-format book makes an ideal gift.
Published July 10th 1985 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Journey

Ray
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ok, that title sounds like a cheesy Rex Reed movie review. But this book really did grab me. The illustrations are generously sized and very detailed. No matter how many times you have read Pilgrim's Progress you will be challenged to see things in a new light. And your kids will be drawn into the timeless story.

In a day when Western culture has lost its Biblical morrings and no longer sees life as a pilgrimage, a jounrey to Heaven, this book draws us out. It pulls us from the search for inner
Brian
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My old review of Pilgrim's Progress is too long, but I want to comment on it without deleting it. Goodreads should let up on the wordcount nazi thing and allow long reviews to be posted on goodreads--and then release such reviews as books. Or not. Anyway, I totally forgot I'd written that review of Pilgrim's Progress, in my freshman year at college no less! That would have been before I even got into social Trinitarianism, FV dark, and Doug Jones, and when I was into neo-Calvinist culture-making ...more
Blackest Soul Ever
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: "christians" who've forgotten what the basis of their faith is supposed to be
Recommended to Blackest by: mom
i'd read/had this book read to me by my mother when i was young. i'm not entirely sure at what specific age. i recently ordered my own copy and found the story applicable as more of a universal truth than just one that applies only to those of the christian faith. i ordered it more for the illustrations than the writings. i'm definitely glad to have a copy, both for sentimental reasons and for the wisdom contained in it. the story is simply told, but the struggles that christian endures can be c ...more
Ester
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is not the fully unabridged version, which I haven't read, but this version still carries with it the essence of the story (I imagine), which is perfectly complemented by the illustrations. So good are the illustrations that I used them for an art project about 'Pathways to Life'. What is most amazing about this book to me though was that it was all inspired by a dream that the author had. I truly believe that God was behind that creative revelation and the book has continued to encourage t ...more
Ann
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a beautiful story of Pilgrim's Progress made readable for children. The illustrations are absolutely amazing. If children are small, I'd read it with them as the pictures and the accompanying story may possibly frighten them !! For all of us who have (or have had) little boys who are looking for daring adventure books, this is a GEM !!
Philip Mcduffie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first audio book that I have ever listened too and I enjoyed it thoroughly. This version of the Pilgrim's Progress is not as good as the original (once you take out one word from Bunyan's original you have lessened the work), but it was fantastic. Grab a hold of the Pilgrim's Progress and be spiritually encouraged as you make your own journey to the Celestial City.
R.L.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
One of the most accessible renderings of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress yet created. The story is a treasure, full of golden nuggets of wisdom applicable to anyone in the world. The pictures are great and bring the story alive for children.

I highly recommend this book for all ages.
Marianne
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just read this with my boys. They loved the book and asked every day if we could read another chapter. The pictures are fantastic and help tell the story. My 8 yr old wants to read the "bigger version". This is a great intro to Pilgrim's Progress!
Becky Pliego
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We love this version at home.
Amy
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Anything abridged that makes your kid say "I want to read the original" is worth reading.
Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-08-12
This is an outstanding abridged and illustrated version of the classic 17th-century novel, Pilgrim’s Progress. In the story Christian, having been roused from his comfortable life in the City of Destruction by a book given to him that foretells the judgment to come, leaves everything and sets out on a quest for the Celestial City. On this journey he encounters many dangers until he finally passes through the River of Death to be greeted by the King. The enemies and trials along his journey are a ...more
Matt Howard
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I went to the book shelf to pick out something to read my children and saw John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress, one look at the pictures was all it took.

It took a week of reading every night to finish the book. Halfway through I mentioned to my wife that it was actually pretty good. She informed me that it is one of the most printed books in history. Apparently since 1678 its never been out of print. I pride myself on how many great books I have decided not to read, but I never even had a chance to
Scott
This is perhaps my favorite children's book and may be the book the has had the greatest influence on my taste in artwork and design. On a purely literary level, it's an adaptation of Pilgrim's Progress, though the unique aspect of this version is that it uses selections from the original rather than modernizing the language. So, it's really more of an abridgement. But what really stands out in this book is the artwork. Each page of text, which really does not amount to more than a paragraph, ha ...more
Danielle
Dangerous Journey is a kid version of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. I would say this book is geared toward an older child which is why I hesitated to read it to my 4 1/2 year old. He's been begging me to read it to him and I'm so glad I did. The book is beautifully illustrated and I underestimated how much my son would be able to follow and understand the story. Reading this book together provided a beautiful opportunity to point my child to the gospel. He loved this book, too and has alread ...more
Pewterbreath
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: oh just about anyone
I read this book in upper elementary school, then immediately went on and read the original. I was fascinated with this story---I never had read anything before where abstractions were personified (Hope, Charity, Faith, Love). Little did I know that this is one of the oldest literary tricks, and that the original Greek Gods may have started in this very way. The pictures in this book are georgeous.
Penny
My boys and I loved this modern version of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. We were scheduled to read it through next week, but just couldn't stop reading. We took turns reading the dialogue in various voices. My youngest sketched his own versions of the extraordinary illustrations. The book may appear like a children's book, but the content stays true to Bunyan's original story with its depth and symbolism of spiritual journey.
polly
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, faith
I really liked this retelling of the classic Pilgrim's Progress, but it's not appropriate just yet for my children, who are almost-9 and 5. The illustrations are pretty intense (really, the story itself is pretty intense--as I recall from reading Bunyan's book some years ago), and I think it would just be too scary at this point. The illustrations are exaggerated and creepy even to me--and I'm 38.
Taylor
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because there were dragons and giants and dummies and traps. It was a long book and a really good book. I learned that it is a hard road that you must travel in your journey to get to heaven. My favorite part was the dragon. I enjoyed that Christian fought hard and won the good fight.
Karin Breidenthal
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a family favorite. When my boys were 5 and 7, living in Korea, we devoured this book in one day, and over the years they've gone back to reread this. My oldest son just finished the unabridged version for school reading. My daughter who is younger than my sons, has also enjoyed it. The binding on our copy is falling apart. Highly recommend this for any age, but especially kids!
Arielle
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A timeless classic and wonderful condensed version of Pilgrims Progress. Written more for children probably, but I think this book would be fascinating for any age! The illustrations are beautiful and the writing is well done and easy to understand. I will be keeping this around to read to my children. :)
Evelyn
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! My kids, ranging in ages from 3-7, loved this book. I haven't read the entire original, but enough of it to say that they did a great job adapting it. They kept the style and message in tact. I really enjoyed reading this book to my kids and it's prompted me to give the original another try.
Andy V
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Scary book as a child. I'm not sure where our copy went. But amazing illustrations. Had to dock a star because of the judeo-christian undertones; an anathema to me. Another attempted brainwashing exercise by someone. Thankfully I managed to dump the burden of religious gobbledegook and progress to enjoying the dark artistry in this illustrated novel.
Anfinwen
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This retelling of "Pilgrim's Progress," originally by Paul Bunyan, is perfect for introducing young readers to Christian and his journey from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. Christian's adventures, trials, and failures are fancifully illustrated (though a few could give young readers nightmares).
Julie Silander
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This beautifully illustrated book tells the story of Pilgrim's Progress. Although we read it as a family, I'm tempted to go back and read again more slowly. Each chapter is packed with potent truths... almost too much to read and process in one sitting. This is one of those books that is worth the purchase, to be read and re-read through the years.
David
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The boys gobbled this up. They loved it and it was a huge blessing to me to read it to them. The pictures are a bit grotesque but it was just fascinating to them. I even cried when Christian arrived at the Celestial City, I was just so filled with thankfulness. We will re-read this as a family MANY times.
Ryan
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My oldest boys thoroughly enjoyed this read. Still sounds like Bunyan to me. The pictures are fabulous and even terrifying at times. Ezra told his mom today that if he could change his name he would take "Christian" instead, so consider him inspired. They will be shoving this book in daddy's lap again.
Betsy
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A terrific tool for making The Pilgrim's Progress come alive for children. Abridging the story while using the original language, filling each page with full color, intense images--this is no "sweet, easy, bedtime story. Instead, it's a big adventure, a dangerous journey, and offers kids and their parents a gripping way to get to know the original story.
Terri Lynn
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
As an Atheist, I know that the myths about Jesus were borrowed entirely from much older Mediterranean mythology. Still, I found this to be a pretty book covering some of the themes of Christian mythology in an interesting way.
Patrick Hamblin
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My kids absolutely loved this shorter version for children. And I would often read a chapter and either of the older kids would beg me to read a second chapter. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has children.
Stephanie
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, classics
My 10-year-old son devoured this book! What a wonderful way to introduce your kids to Pilgrim's Progress! It's almost like a graphic novel, while still using the original words (abridged) of John Bunyan. LOVE IT!
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic