Start by marking “Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress

Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress

The world-famous, much-loved classic Pilgrim’s Progress is here retold for children. This abridged version uses the original words of John Bunyan as selected by Oliver Hunkin to present a gripping narrative. Filled with intricately detailed illustrations, this handsome, large-format book makes an ideal gift.
Published July 10th 1985 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

Ray
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ok, that title sounds like a cheesy Rex Reed movie review. But this book really did grab me. The illustrations are generously sized and very detailed. No matter how many times you have read Pilgrim's Progress you will be challenged to see things in a new light. And your kids will be drawn into the timeless story.

In a day when Western culture has lost its Biblical morrings and no longer sees life as a pilgrimage, a jounrey to Heaven, this book draws us out. It pulls us from the search for inner
Bekah
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book with my daughter. Such a beautiful allagory of our journey on the straight and narrow path.
Frank Theising
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An abridged, illustrated version of John Bunyan’s 1678 classic The Pilgrim’s Progress. Taken directly from Bunyan’s text, the archaic language may be difficult for young/new readers but our daughters have no trouble following the story when I read it aloud. For those unfamiliar with Bunyan’s allegory, this book does not shy away from covering serious issues of Christian life and faith (trials, temptation, doubt, martyrdom, grace, etc). I think in part because this is not your typical sugar-coate ...more
Lydia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was a true story!
Brian
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My old review of Pilgrim's Progress is too long, but I want to comment on it without deleting it. Goodreads should let up on the wordcount nazi thing and allow long reviews to be posted on goodreads--and then release such reviews as books. Or not. Anyway, I totally forgot I'd written that review of Pilgrim's Progress, in my freshman year at college no less! That would have been before I even got into social Trinitarianism, FV dark, and Doug Jones, and when I was into neo-Calvinist culture-making ...more
Kelly
Read aloud to the boys. Seems like a great introduction to the classic, which I think we're not *quite* ready for yet. The illustrations are very well done.

My boys (7.5, 5.5, 2.5) enjoyed it quite a bit.
Scquest
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this through with Tanzen. The language is archaic, but I think it is worth reading and explaining to children. We will read it again, I am sure.
Sarah Middlestead
Eli: 4⭐, Abby 3⭐, Grace 2.5⭐ ...more
Angel
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!! My children listened to me read it aloud in two sessions! One of the best stories ever written, hands down.
Blackest Soul Ever
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: "christians" who've forgotten what the basis of their faith is supposed to be
Recommended to Blackest by: mom
i'd read/had this book read to me by my mother when i was young. i'm not entirely sure at what specific age. i recently ordered my own copy and found the story applicable as more of a universal truth than just one that applies only to those of the christian faith. i ordered it more for the illustrations than the writings. i'm definitely glad to have a copy, both for sentimental reasons and for the wisdom contained in it. the story is simply told, but the struggles that christian endures can be c ...more
Ester
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is not the fully unabridged version, which I haven't read, but this version still carries with it the essence of the story (I imagine), which is perfectly complemented by the illustrations. So good are the illustrations that I used them for an art project about 'Pathways to Life'. What is most amazing about this book to me though was that it was all inspired by a dream that the author had. I truly believe that God was behind that creative revelation and the book has continued to encourage t ...more
Philip Mcduffie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first audio book that I have ever listened too and I enjoyed it thoroughly. This version of the Pilgrim's Progress is not as good as the original (once you take out one word from Bunyan's original you have lessened the work), but it was fantastic. Grab a hold of the Pilgrim's Progress and be spiritually encouraged as you make your own journey to the Celestial City.
Ann
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a beautiful story of Pilgrim's Progress made readable for children. The illustrations are absolutely amazing. If children are small, I'd read it with them as the pictures and the accompanying story may possibly frighten them !! For all of us who have (or have had) little boys who are looking for daring adventure books, this is a GEM !!
Logan
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read in May 2015, July 2016, June 2018, and many times before.

Fantastic illustrations that capture the young imagination, very well-abridged text that stays true to the original, and of course, one of the best stories ever written. I still love this volume years later.
Marianne
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just read this with my boys. They loved the book and asked every day if we could read another chapter. The pictures are fantastic and help tell the story. My 8 yr old wants to read the "bigger version". This is a great intro to Pilgrim's Progress!
R.L.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
One of the most accessible renderings of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress yet created. The story is a treasure, full of golden nuggets of wisdom applicable to anyone in the world. The pictures are great and bring the story alive for children.

I highly recommend this book for all ages.
Cbarrett
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some words are a bit outdated, but that is the only negative I can think of with this book; the story and the illustrations are magnificent. Taylor loves this book. If you want a children's version of the story of Pilgrim's Progress, this one is excellent.
Becky Pliego
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We love this version at home.
Clwseattle
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
I read Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress slowly over several weeks so as to digest what I was reading.

The incredible illustrations in Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress are perfectly illustrative of the temptations and sins that tempt and mar God's world. The story tells us that we all are tempted, but that we can resist that temptation, that we all make mistakes and fall but that we can overcome those mistakes and that evil. Some say the illustrations are/could
Leslie
My mom read this to us when were were young. Over the last two days, we read from page 42 through to the end (mostly today and mostly in one sitting). This was at my little man's prodding and prompting of "Mama! Don't stop reading!", "You can't stop now!", "read more, Mama!" and other such pleas. This is the first book that he has done this with and I love it (and it reminded me of days when I was a child listening to my mom reading an not wanting her to stop). This is one of the very first (lon ...more
Julie
3 1/2 stars

This is an abridged and illustrated version of Pilgrim's Progress. I appreciate that the author uses significant portions of the original text in his version. The illustrations were really pretty wonderful and added much to the story. I do hesitate to recommend this to "children" as others seem to. The length, 126 pages, hints that this isn't your ordinary picture book, and many of the illustrations depict frightening scenes. And as the story includes some very serious topics such as
Katie Bowman
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We read this as a family and it was so captivating. We all loved it and looked forward to it. It is a children’s adaption of John Bunyan’s Pilgrims Progress, made easier to read and shortened for kids. It’s a picture book with 8 chapters so it’s longer than a typical picture book but shorter than the average chapter book. The illustrations are wonderful and we loved looking at the details of each one. I’m hoping to make this an Easter tradition and read it each year during Lent. I hesitated to b ...more
Anna
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic version of Pilgrims progress that kept everyone’s attention from my 10 year old boy to my 15 year old girl. The book is well illustrated and I loved that it kept the original text (just very abridged). It’s deep enough for an adult to get plenty out of the allegory and shallow enough not to go over a younger child’s head. We had a lot of great discussions using Memoria Press’ guide along with it.
Hope Irvin Marston
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Huge mind-boggling full color illustrations bring this storybook of Bunyan’s allegory to life. It’s a super introduction for those who find the original version difficult to understand. Pilgrim’s Dangerous Journey is in truth the journey of Everyman from earth to heaven. The story is presented in Bunyan’s original words which authenticates the minimal text. However, the horrible, hideous creatures drawn by Alan Parry will give youngsters nightmares.
Lanny
Oct 03, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-aloud
I'm not really sure what to rate this book. I found it amusing how much they skipped over. For instance, Christian would meet a character with whom in the unabridged version he would have a whole chapter worth of conversation, but in this abridged version, they would both say about one sentence before said character would meet his doom.
However, my kids loved it. They are only 3 and 5 but they were totally sucked in and got excited to read a few new pages every day.
Also, I don't know if my mom h
Katie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I love how the Dangerous Journey shows God helping Christian each step of the way to the Celestial City. And God is vital in defeating every enemy. The symbolism in the beginning concerning Christian's conflict with his family points to how our faith truly is between each of us and our God.
John Yelverton
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This illustrated version of "The Pilgrim's Progress" makes it ideal to read to your children without losing any of the power or the context of the classic work. Furthermore, the artwork is fantastic and truly ignites the imagination of the reader. I cannot recommend this book enough to you.
Heather Dildine
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! This is a great story to read to kids. They pictures are very dark at times and might be scary for little ones. We read it to my daughter when she was five and loved it- it brought on some great talking points!
Ashley
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a Christian allegory. I absolutely love this book and re-read it. My greatest joy is when Charley had to read it at Faith Academy and told me he actually loved a story. I was thrilled to show him this book and let him re-read it. :)
R.A.
Definitely a great illustrated book of Pilgrim's Progress for young readers! Although a couple of the photos are slightly scary, it shows the readers the truth of it all! When my Mom read this to my little brother, he kept talking about the big giant and the dragon! It really makes readers think!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »