Start by marking “In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington” as Want to Read:
In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington

In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington

Robert Rubin was sworn in as the seventieth U.S. Secretary of the Treasury in January 1995 in a brisk ceremony attended only by his wife and a few colleagues. As soon as the ceremony was over, he began an emergency meeting with President Bill Clinton on the financial crisis in Mexico. This was not only a harbinger of things to come during what would prove to be a rocky per ...more
Published September 7th 2004 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about In an Uncertain World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In an Uncertain World

Andrea James
Feb 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I appear to have quite a different opinion of this book to most of the other reviewers on Goodreads. As much as Robert Rubin may have accomplished both in the private and public sector, he is simply not good at writing or storytelling or indeed at providing insights into how he solves problems and makes decisions, the emotional and intellectual conflicts one faces or any astute observations of what other people might be going through.

The book reads like "I applied to Harvard and then
Greg Talbot
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
With the snappy title, you'd think this was a much more interesting book. The sad reality is that Robert Rubin's biography does not live up in style, content or IQ level of the writer. Having obtained kingmaker status as CEO of Goldman Sachs, and treasurer of Bill Clinton, it's obvious that Robert has stories and strong opinions about events. At times he approaches topics with nuance like a good storyteller - one example is with the Tequila crisis in the 90s where he brings how Mexico's currency ...more
May Ling
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
This is an interesting book in which many people glean different gems given their background.While a lot of people enjoyed Chapter 2 about risk, I get a little upset when they quote this book as a risk management book. Indeed, what is discussed here shows most clearly why merger arb is one of the single riskiest strategies. The hedge that is taken will actually magnify the lost in the way that options do. Those often engaging find themselves in really bad circumstances when deals break. Rubin do ...more
Brian Fisher
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book and a unique perspective (a wall streets risk arbitrager and secretary of the treasury - Robert Rubin). He applies his free market mentality to some of the most pressing international and domestic economic issues. Similar to the World is Flat or the Lexus and the Olive Tree (with a stronger economic bend), but told by someone with more expertise and experience

"The best social program is a strong economy"
-Bill Clinton

" A change-oriented culture has been ce
G166188
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
A book about Rubin's upbringing and professional experience in banking and politics.

Takeaway
Nothing is for sure. Life is more about odds, choices, and trade-offs. There is no definitive answer. One would be better off focusing on building good process for decision making than judging solely on the outcome because bad decisions can produce good result due to randomness or luck. Conversely, good decisions can produce bad result and one should expect losses as part of the business
Nicholas
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me a while to slog through this book; the fault was partly mine, and partly Rubin's. While the subject matter is fascinating for me--a remarkable career in both finance and public service--Rubin's prose was passionless. Moreover, his writing was not crisp or energetic.

There were great parts of the book: an insider's look at Goldman Sachs, the Clinton administration, and some of the crucial dilemmas that Rubin faced as Secretary of the Treasury. While I generally concurred wit
Forsythbb
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rubin has the most humble and sincere narrative. As an introvert myself, I immensely resonate with a lot of his view points and decisions. The first three chapters of this book offer a lot of genuine advice to intellectually driven yet professionally aspiring people. However, while that kind of narrative is refreshing for the first 100 pages, it gets tiring as one reads on. After all, most people buy this book to gain insights of what happened in the boom and bust of the 90s to 00s, not a prolon ...more
Will Byrnes
Oct 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
I found it boring. It might be of considerable interest to those who are adept at macroeconomics, but while I found some interest in his descriptions of the several international monetary crises with which he has been involved, there was little here that held my interest. He does laud Clinton for his intelligence, quick grasp of facts and his willingness to spend personal political capital to take risks and to do the right thing.
evan pon
Oct 26, 2006 rated it liked it
a rambling description of rubin's time in business and government. most of his annecdotes aren't fully developed - just a few lines, that often don't seem to have a point. however, the overall subject matter is interesting, as he provides an inside view on what he was thinking/doing when handling things like the asian crisis.
geoff
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is fine. I like Rubin, but the past decade hasn't been great to his reputation. Spends a lot of time talking about Clinton years, which would be interesting - except that he wasn't really part of the inner circle. His views on uncertainty are good. But just read Black Swan instead.
Ann
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you want to understand the current position of "too big to fail". Rubin was at the place where this trend started and now, knowing how things turned out, this is the place to go for insight into our times and the history of how we got here.
Helen
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Changed how I look at econ and also at the Clinton presidency. One of the first books on politics I read. Awesome first experience!!!
Sylv C
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is a NY Times article that discusses Rubin's probabilistic approach to thinking - if pressed for time, the article is a good summary of this book.
Brian
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked his insight into events I knew about and others that I didn't know about, especially the private sides of public figures.
Charles
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a bit of a curiosity: released between the dot com bust and the housing crisis, some of the centrist policies advocated here sound positively antiquated, judging by the current dialogue playing out in the editorial pages and network news chairs.

Rubin is incredibly smart and accomplished, but so much of the book comes across as reactive to whatever the crisis of the day was. He has so many friends among the global elite that he doesn't want to offend, so most issues are r
Narasi Sridhar
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written with humility and deep understanding

I fundamentally agree that probabilistic thinking is key, but difficult to do. Bob Rubin has written a highly readable book that provides insights into forces that shape our country’s approach to international relations. It is valid especially today, considering the continued myopia of Republicans and the Trump administration.
Camilo Angel
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Could be interesting if you’re into state economics or the Clinton administration. Besides that, it had a couple of good anecdotes about the nineties emerging market busts, and some good insight into what could constitute eficiente macroeconomic policy for developing nations. Not very interesting and not worth the read from my point of view.
Alan Eyre
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book, liked his outlook
Max Lapin
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Insightful book on the Treasury work.
Robert
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a little bit dry at times, but I enjoyed getting to know the very down to earth thinking of this very reserved public figure. Rubin's approach of thinking "probabilistically" is very valuable for anyone.

It's also interesting reading his thoughts on the Asian financial crises of the late 90s which were in many ways very similar to the global financial crisis which occurred in the late 2000s.

What have we really learned that will prevent another crisis?
Leo Jacobowitz
No Stars, but not a bad read. Robert Rubin is clearly focused and brilliant. His writing on the interdependence of national economies is exceptional...however, the book has a tendency to be repetitive. It also lacks soul and passion...then again he was the Treasury Secretary....I usually like biographical tomes about seemingly dry subjects....but this one is not quite exceptional.
Gordon Kwok
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book although some parts were a little dry. This book is basically a biography of the former Treasury Secretary and as the first head of the National Economic Council during the Clinton Administration. I often judge books by whether I felt enriched or at the very least learned something new or useful and by that standard this was a great book.
Anand Ganesan
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amongst the best books I have read in the recent times. As much as it gives a practical perspective of international economies are linked, it also deep dive into personal finance (reader will have to use Charlie Munger's Latice thinking herein).
Mark Sabol
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating inside insights into Clinton administration and more.
Jim Talbott
Robert Rubin is one of my bureaucratic heroes. He's a wonderful example of the advantages of allowing process to triumph over personality.
sima
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Is a mixture of autobiography, reflections on life and leadership, and historical recollection on the 1990s Asian Debt crisis.
Andrew R
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent, although some of the economics was above my head. On my list to re-read after a bit of grad school.
Kay
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
So far: see the world of through the eyes of a man who went from a Goldman Sachs partner to the Treasury Secretary - excellent insight in economics, White House, and much more...
Carlos Cardenas
Parallel stories of a man's life and the world of politics, economics and finance
Stacey
Jan 20, 2009 is currently reading it
Not reading by choice. While somewhat dry, gives an interesting perspective on entering a new administration after a successful career on Wall St.

• Bull!: A History of the Boom and Bust, 1982-2004
  • Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley
  • Last Man Standing: The Ascent of Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan Chase
  • The Warren Buffett CEO: Secrets of the Berkshire Hathaway Managers
  • Total Competition: Lessons in Strategy from Formula One
  • Street Fighters: The Last 72 Hours of Bear Stearns, the Toughest Firm on Wall Street
  • While America Aged: How Pension Debts Ruined General Motors, Stopped the NYC Subways, Bankrupted San Diego, and Loom as the Next Financial Crisis
  • The Quotable Einstein
  • Essays in Persuasion
  • Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street
  • The Time of Our Lives
  • No Bull: My Life in and Out of Markets
  • On the Brink: Inside the Race to Stop the Collapse of the Global Financial System
“Some people are more certain of everything than I am of anything.” 32 likes
“The only place people find fulfillment is within themselves. And too often, that's the last place they look.” 11 likes