Start by marking “The Cyclist's Training Bible” as Want to Read:
The Cyclist's Training Bible

The Cyclist's Training Bible

The Cyclist’s Training Bible is designed to help amateurs create a training plan and refine the skills needed to succeed in the sport. Divided into five parts, the book covers commitment and common sense, general concepts, training with a purpose, designing a yearlong plan, and practical strategies for reinforcing training. Dozens of photos, charts, tables and worksheets a ...more
Published March 25th 2003 by VeloPress (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Cyclist's Training Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cyclist's Training Bible

Start your review of The Cyclist's Training Bible
Brian
Nov 27, 2007 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: competitive Cyclists
Awesome, man I studied this book for months. I got smarter, but sadly not any less-lazy. So I'm still slow, but hopefully, a better off kind of slow.
The gist of it is this: Don't over train.
I always thought 'the harder the better', but after taking a 6 month breather following nationals, I'm reconsidering my training style. I wish I would have read this book last year, so maybe I could have raced til' September, but nay.
The Bible is filled with info. It's kinda like a text book, you can't rea
Dmitry Trofimov
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is very useful if you want to establish your cycling training on a new level, enhance your sport abilities, and take part in competitions.

Not everything in this book was new to me as I've already read another book by Joe Friel "The Ultimate Heart Rate Training", there were some intersections with it. Still, I found some new interesting things, especially related to nutrition:

1) The notion of acid-forming and alkalinizing foods. Acid-forming foods cause the body to lose nitrogen (especi
Eddie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably won't be coming back to this one anytime soon. I was looking for something to help me set specific goals for the season. There's lots of good general ideas: set goals, work on weaknesses, take your recovery as seriously as your training, train off the bike, diet matters as much as time on the bike, improve skills to improve performance. But for such a thick book there are very few specific ideas for how to go about doing any of this. Carmichael's paperbacks, now tainted by the Armstrong ...more
Bernie
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a well rounded, informative book. I thought so much of it that I am using it as a guidebook to structure my riding for 2013. I'll be 52 years old and in better shape than a pretty much in shape 51.
Annie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I'm a relitively new cyclist (3rd year) and have only just begun to race but I found the content of this book really helpful. I've started a training plan and a journal and feel excited and motivated for the upcoming season.
Dave Summers
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is it. The complete guide to become a world-class cyclist, if you want it bad enough.
Mahmoud Shalaby
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are going to read one book on training for cyclists, this should be it... I actually read the 5th edition and I encourage everyone to get the latest edition because there are major updates with every edition
Marius Noreika
The book is a little bit overloaded with excesive explanation of self-understanding stuff. It was named - "bible", but I haven't found it to bee enough comprehensive to answer to all my question as a novice rider. Training program is oriented to lots of training hours, which I think isn't compatable with working person life pattern. There was several interesting chapters, but that's it. I'm looking for another "training bible".
Saurabh Sharma
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is called a bible for a reason. I followed this book last season with great results but I did feel like I was a little under trained. Then when I read Tudor Bompa's book (This book is based on his books, but customized for cyclists), I realised that there are subtle things that I was not following properly.
You can not be a serious cyclist till you read this book 2-3 times. It is written in such a way that you will have to read it more than once to follow the instructions properly.
David Porter
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely useful to a beginning cyclist like me. I enjoy the scientific approach to training that the book presents.
Kerry
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, sports
I've just gotten into cycling in a serious way and have been reading tons of books. This is the one that helped everything gel and enabled me to create a training plan.
Slava Baranskyi
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The only book any road bike cyclist need. Just like Bible, true.
Scott Maclellan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Become a better biker with this enduring classic

There is a reason this book has made it to a 5th edition. At first I was surprised at how thorough and comprehensive the book was. It take a while setting up the terminology and mental attitude required for the remainder of the book. Then it sprints through the core training concepts laying out periodized training and how to layout your season.

As a newer rider looking to improve, the book sets a high bar to aim for and gives you all the support you
Gandalf
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cycling
Much needed update of this book. Feels more usefull and focused than the previous edition.
Warren Q
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource if you are planning to race. Less so for a recreational cyclist like myself.
Starkcorp Awo
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this article are definitely entertaining
Marc Dorval
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, fitness
I found this book (5th edition) to be very useful. There are great ideas, tips, techniques, and templates that allowed me to improve my training.
Taylor Kennedy
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful for understanding training blocks. I can’t say I agreed with the nutrition bits, however I was reading the 2009 version
Lois Keller
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I learned a ton from this book and am excited to take on a new race season now!
Nickel
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in a road cycling training program, this is a good book to start off with. It provides a nice run down of the setting up of a season program and the periodization that occurs within. I have seen complaints about the book being overly technical but I think with a little patience, it is more than worth the extra time you might take to re-read a few sections. There is a nice breakdown of workouts and templates provided.

It is guided toward someone with at least 2 years of expe
Stephen Ng
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: triathlon, health
With bike fitting done and training location found, what I really need is to work out a proper training plan that should be suitable for my age as well as appropriate to achieve my set objectives, in which I could find out from this book.

In additional, there are chapters that cover the importance of possessing positive attitude and of nutritional values for those who wants to become stronger and better.
Steven Foote
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting book, and has a lot of good stuff in it. Joe Friel is just a little bit over the top, even for a book written for serious cyclists. The whole purpose of being alive seems to be so we can ride bikes fast in bike races. I love cycling, but this was a little too much for me.
David Golden
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quality Book

I really enjoyed the information in the book. I first time trial season and now I have rtf he bug. I need all information to help me to achieve my aims, even thou g h I am 56
Erik
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cyclists, Triathletes
Here is Mr. Friel's manual on cycling. Just as with his other books, it is in-depth, scientific and long. But it is proven and will lead to better cycling. A must-read for avid cyclists.
Taylor George
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Do you want to learn how to write training plans. This is your book.

Noteable: Tells you how many hours of riding you should be doing based on your Category.
Fizzmas
Oct 09, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pro cyclists
Way to technical for me.
Nov 27, 2007 added it
Shelves: bike-stuff
siricat gave me this book on a list of good books to read
Ross
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
for obsessive cyclists only
Samo
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
don't overtrain (like running 2.5x as far as your longest day this year.) oop.
James
Jan 08, 2009 is currently reading it
Joe Friel is very knowledgeable and has trained many athletes at diverse levels. A great reference guide for beginners. Right now I am using this as a guide as to how to train for the coming year.
Goodreads Librari...: New edition & cleanup 2 18 Mar 31, 2018 06:27AM

• Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • The Rider
  • Draft Animals: Living the Pro Cycling Dream (Once in a While)
  • Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro Pro
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Race-Winning Fitness in 6 Hours a Week
  • The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Fit, Fast, and Powerful in 6 Hours a Week
  • Fuelling the Cycling Revolution: The Nutritional Strategies and Recipes Behind Grand Tour Wins and Olympic Gold Medals
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Applying these recommendations for a 150-pound (68 kg) athlete, the possible range, excluding the U.S. RDA, would be 3 to 6 ounces (84 to 168 g) of protein each day.” 1 likes
“Perhaps the greatest impairment to purposeful practice is the presence of other athletes during a workout.” 0 likes