Start by marking “Tattoo” as Want to Read:
Tattoo

Tattoo

DESCRIBED AS "TOO RAUNCHY FOR TEENS", TATTOO IS A CONTROVERSIAL NEW YOUNG ADULT NOVEL.............."You judge me when you look at me because of the tattoos that cover my body-but that's only because you don't understand what they mean....... My mother named me Mercy, after the nuns who raised her, but my life has been anything but merciful. The path I've traveled has been ...more
Published 2016 by The 8 Percent

To ask other readers questions about Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tattoo

Start your review of Tattoo
Michelle
*GoodReads Giveaway!!*

Tattoo is billed as a YA novel but I think the only thing young adult about it is the age of the protagonist. At the start of the novel Mercy is 17 and has a younger sister Scarlet. This is not to say I didn't enjoy the book just that I do not think it is suited for a young audience.

Now into the book.

The book opens with Mercy's stepfather drunk and hallucinating. He's not at home but in some warzone far away. Mercy's fear of him is palpable. So is her disgust. You wonder h
Michelle
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi, I won a Kindle copy of this in a Goodreads Giveaweay

I didn't take this book too seriously for the first 2/3rds. I read along, enjoying, thinking. "Okay, what bonkers thing is going to happen next," and then another bonkers thing would happen. I found it very VC Andrews Flowers in the Attic in tone, a bit more soap operaesque, meant to be engaging, but not literary or deep.

Mercy, the main character, is pretty simple in doing what it takes to survive. There are no scenes where she thinks or a
Jen
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my second win on a goodreads giveaway ever.
It has left me very confused and with very mixed feelings about it. I may have to come back and change my rating after I have processed my thoughts further.
The reasons for my confusion are that I did find it hard to put down once I got going but it is meant to be YA and I wouldn't let anyone under 16 read it. Perhaps it is my teacher role coming out, but I want my girls to have strong role models who can rely on themselves and not men. However
Roxy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I won a copy of this book through a goodreads giveaway and had no idea what to expect.
Tattoo is a well crafted novel that packs a punch.
"You judge me when you look at me because of the tattoos that cover my body-but that's only because you don't understand what they mean..."
While this is listed as a YA book I think it is better suited to an older audience. Or at least those over 16, as it is a little hard hitting and gritty in some places and I think it would be a little too raunchy for those
MaryKaye
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mercy ran from the her home after it burned with her stepfather inside. She left her sister Scarlet behind, while on the run, to find her real father in San Francisco. With no money, she sets out on a journey and finds herself in difficult situations. Mercy is deceitful, shrewd, makes bad decisions, uses her body, and also lies. Throughout her journey she has meaningful tattoo's etched on her body. She does have a soft side, which makes Mercy likeable, even with her bad behavior. This book has l ...more
Tina
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great fiction by a new Australian author. Mercy is a gripping character. Her story is raw and real, with the odd flight of fancy here and there. The drive, passion and persistence she demonstrates make this a novel I reluctant put down each night. some parts made me think of Gabriel Tallent's My Absolute Darling, in that they both feature strong young female leads coping with adverse situations at home, including abuse. Tattoo is definitely recommended if you can get your hands on a copy. ...more
JR Lambrecht
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read. Hard to put down. Starts with a fired and ends with a bang. A little glimpse into 1950s carnival life. Motorcycle clubs. Murder.
This book has everything including a strong female protagonist who won't stay knocked down no matter what life hits her with. The journey is not always beautiful, but the outcome can be.
Sapphire Scott
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG I saw the short film and thought I want this book, so I bought it.
It is nearly impossible to put down, I read it in 16hrs and I never read any book like that, but Tattoo is the best book I have ever read and would read it over and over again.
I also think this would make an awesome feature film

Well done to Jenna
Helen Norcross
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
OMG, I absolutely LOVED this book! My book arrived just in time for a long weekend get away with my husband. I'm a slow reader but it only took me 5 days to read. Whilst we were out and about sight seeing, all I wanted to do was go back to the hotel room and read. Hard to put down!
Can't wait for any future books by this author, brilliant.
Alvina Petruska
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claire McIntyre
This was a story with many facets keeping my attention throughout. The main character has a complicated and heartbreaking past that leads to her unique path through life. Led by her need to find her birth father, the main character proves she will endure any obstacle to find her real family.
Megan
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This book had you hooked from the beginning.. Never thought I'll get into this book but I did.. A must read
Katherine
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this quick read.
Jayne
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this book down

Well written and the suspense keeps you turning pages. The story drags you in a lot and keeps you there
Jodie Flanary
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This book wove a intricate web of characterization and was hard to put down. It was.good.and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Linda Curran
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book could not put it down great storyline and characters..read it in 2 nights..highly recommended to all..not just YA readers. Im 45..buy this book!
Pauline
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book is absolutely the best read I’ve had in ages! Loved it. Looking forward to more of Jenna’s work.
Paige Belfield
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A truly compelling book which carries out flawlessly the cruelties it presents. It is a tale filled with pain and hope and a narration that portrays every emotion perfectly. Jenna has a wonderful writing style and the ability to write what many would shirk away from or be able to do justice to. Tattoo is a beautiful tale and one I am so glad I have had the opportunity to read.
Sarah Thompson
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do yourself favour and check it out, great read and hard to put down.
Anna Allen
Jan 26, 2021
Leanne B
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
I have struggled to get in to the last several books I have read, but Tattoo, Wow!! I couldnt put it down. I was lucky enough to win a copy in the goodreads giveaways and the evening I received it I set off reading the book. For 3 days I was enthralled in the book. The plot and pace kept the pages turning as i had to know what happened next.

I will be looking out for Jenna Cosgrove's next novel.

Classed as a YA, i would suggest the young teens steering away due to the content, but would highly r
Chris Webb

• Hench
  • Catherine House
  • The Exiles
  • Five Ingredient Cookbook: Easy Recipes in 5 Ingredients or Less
  • Make Ahead Meals: Easy Freezer Recipes to Make Ahead for Cooking Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Including Crockpot Freezer Meals
  • Hitler's Brothel
  • Trust
  • The Safe Place
  • The Orphan Collector
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 5: Clockworks
  • The Demigod Files (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
  • Who Will Love Me Now?
  • A Family For Christmas
  • Separation Anxiety
  • The Glow of the Dragon's Heart (Harem of Fire, #0.5)
  • Magic Secret (Half-Blood Academy, #2)
  • Magic Trials (Half-Blood Academy, #1)
Jenna is a history-obsessed writer (with 8 tattoos). She is fascinated by subcultures, with an interest in body art (in case you hadn't guessed), street art, underground anything, alternative everything, industrial areas, abandoned places, and anything else out of the norm.

Jenna lives in Melbourne, Australia.