Start by marking “Red Queen” as Want to Read:
Red Queen

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Red Queen (Red Queen #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  379,228 Ratings  ·  35,311 Reviews
Kupandangi kedua tanganku, lenganku, mengagumi saat petir menyulut tubuhku. Pakaianku terbakar, gosong oleh panas api, tetapi kulitku tak berubah. Semuanya salah. Aku masih hidup.

Ajang Pemilihan Ratu Kaum Perak telah menguak kekuatan luar biasa yang tersembunyi dalam diri Mare. Dia pun dijodohkan dengan pangeran berdarah perak dari Kerajaan Norta. Mungkin kau anggap kisah
Published April 2016 by Nourabooks (first published February 10th 2015)

Rachel E. Carter
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
“Graceling meets Selection” Whatever marketing team came up with that tag for this series clearly never read the book. Red Queen is Game of Thrones with Katniss as the Mockingjay with X-Men in a tantalizing YA twist of magical perfection.

description

Three quotes that summarize this series spoiler-free:

”Anyone can betray anyone.” Meet the Lannisters Silver Court and their current royal family.

”Make no mistake, my girl. You are playing the game as someone’s pawn.”

”I am a fool.”

Sooooooooo… My initial reaction:
Emily May
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy, 2014
I just... can't do it.

It was boring, light and silly, and I'm pretty sure I've already read the basic premise of this book in Pierce Brown's Red Rising.

I made it to 60% on my kindle and then skimmed for a bit, but I've been attempting to read this book for over a week now and the magic was evidently lost on me. When you're reading a book and you reach a point where you think "is it too soon to DNF this?", you know things must be bad. It's so sad, though, because everything about The Red Queen wa
Kat O'Keeffe
I'm kinda conflicted over this book. It was well written and entertaining, and if it didn't feel so similar to some other books I could have really enjoyed it. But there were just so many elements that had me thinking, "Yep, I've definitely seen this before." There were also some aspects that felt very contrived, so I had to really work at suspending my disbelief to buy into it.

Ultimately, I thought this book was an entertaining read, and I totally get why some people are LOVING it. But for me p
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed this crazy adventure of a book. I will say though that it did take a bit of time for me to really get into this book. I also felt the world is still a bit underdeveloped for my liking, but I'm hoping that I gain a better understanding for everything in the sequel. Other than that such an exciting read, full of twists and turns that will leave you flailing all over the place! HECK I'M STILL FLAILING.
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
That plot twist though....
That betrayal though....
MIND = BLOWN
Red Queen was fantastic, especially the ending! Wow!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
this was a re-read for me.
my original review can be found here:
goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
youtube: https://youtu.be/kKQ5jusa8fo

After re-reading this, I stand by my original 4 star rating and my overall enjoyment of this book. I want to make it clear that I know this book does not have the most original concept and it also uses a lot of tropes, but I still had such a fun time reading it. I love the characters and the shock factor and the world. I can't wait to give Gla
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book didn't start out terribly.

I mean, come on . . . royals with superpowers? And a heroine from amongst the downtrodden servant class? Okay, yes, that does sound kind of familiar, especially considering that said downtrodden heroine is a Red, but beyond that I didn't feel like there were many similarities. And as much as I love Red Rising and Golden Son , I would jump all over it if I thought this book was a copycat.

BUT. Sold as I was (at first), the heavy-hand
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 1.5 stars

So, this is the 2015 mind-blowing release?

I'm just so fucking bored. UNDERWHELMED is the word.

Mare is a selfish brat who can't shut up one second to look at something else than herself. She keeps acting without thinking and gets numerous people harmed/killed.

She's a special snowflake through and through, because she's special you know and nothing can be done without her.

She's in a constant need of saving and doesn't even acknowledge that fact.

There is a love-tri
Lola
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars.

‘‘You are not Silver. Your parents are Red, you are Red, and your blood is red,’’ the queen murmurs, prowling before the bars of my cage. ‘‘You are a miracle, Mare Barrow, an impossibility. Something even I can’t understand, and I have seen all of you.’’

I can’t wait for this book to become a movie. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed this enormously, but I simply know I’ll love it even more on the big screen. That way, we will actually see, in colour and with all its intensity, the Silve
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I'm sure it's great if you liked Red Rising. I did not like Red Rising.

DNFed this around the 20% mark. I hated the main character. Stupid, selfish, destructive brat intent on destroying the lives of her loved ones with all the makings of a special snowflake. I cannot stand selfishness when it involves harming the lives of innocents. I can't tolerate this character. I can't finish this book. It's been a month since I tried to read on and it's just pointless.
Ben Alderson
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG AMAZING! I WILL BE REVIEWING SOON!
Steph Sinclair
YAAAAAASSSS VICTORIA YAAAAAASSSSSS.

It's like an X-Men dystopia stuck in a high fantasy world on crack.

x-men

Look, guys, don't worry about the love triangle. Actually, calling it a love triangle is very spoilerish and I wish I could further calm your feels, but alas, you must read it for yourself.

Immensely loved this with very minor reservations and I can't wait for book 2! Full review to come!
Zoë
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 19/100 for 2015

UPDATE: Giving it 3 stars because it's only been three months and I've already forgotten everything about this book. I enjoyed reading it, but it was so similar to many other YA books that it's not memorable.

WOAH. That was an intense book and I really enjoyed it! I am a sucker for superpowers and this book had such a cool variety of them! I was so into this book that I stayed up very, very late two nights in a row so I could see what happened next. It was a little predictabl
Regan
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
3.5, over hyped but entertaining enough.
Sana
Red Queen? more like Trash Queen, hmm yes, much better.

I wish I kept putting this book off until I eventually died someday. I would have been saved from the incredible fucking boredom and dumb ass characters.

Actual footage of me crying because I wasted three days on this book when I could have been reading good quality smut:
description

Okay, but why was this book so long??? I feel like it could have been cut down by 383 pages instead of fucking dragging to a disappointing and predictable ending. Guys, the
Navessa
Feb 20, 2015 marked it as reviews-say-nay  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trolls-love-me
So apparently this isn't as similar to Red Rising as I first thought when I read the blurb. Still not gonna read it, though.

Original Review:

(view spoiler)
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Reading Red Queen was like receiving sour candy when you were expecting some glorious sugary sweets. I just felt so much disappointment after turning the last page, since I was expecting a fresh new story out of this one.

This book had so much potential, but after a few chapters of reading, I got this sense of déjà vu, and yup, you guessed it, this book was a cardboard cut-out of all your favorite YA novels put together.

Exhibit A: There are the Reds, slaves the Silvers, who are amazing beings wi
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
“I am finally learning my lesson. Anyone can betray anyone.”

red queen by victoria aveyard? more like red queen by victoria graveyard, because that's where this book put me.

No, okay, listen.
Let me explain why this book was a no-no for me.

We could say most of my problems with this book are to blame on wrong timing.
I'm firmly convinced that if I read it something like six years ago, I probably would have liked it. Not loved it, but it would have definitely gained a couple more stars and a bit mo
Mohammed Arabey

10% 1984 + 15% Hunger Games + 10% X-Men + 10% Games of Thrones + 15% Divergent..
That'd leave us with only 40% of Original Red Queen..

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it ,I may even held extra +rating till part 2 if it gets more of the Original Red Queen storyline..
What really bugs me here was the many Deja vus from HG and Divergent since I didn't like the latter's plot much.
But let's see step by step with The Red..

The Plot and the Setting
--------------------
1-10% of 1984

In an Orwellian atmosphere o
~Poppy~
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I am finally learning my lesson. Anyone can betray anyone.”

Ohhh Goddd!! What a plot twist.
In the entire book I was like:
hmmm team Cal. No!! Team Maven.. Hmm Team Cal.. Team Maven.. Team Cal&Maven :P

And then:

I did not see that coming.. Julian was so right!!!
"He is his mother's son.”

Why???Why?? Why did he do that to us??I loved him..

“I told you to hide your heart once. You should have listened.”

"Cal betrayed me, and I betrayed him. And you betrayed us both, in a thousand dif
Kiki
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good lord in heaven! What in the name of Yves Saint Laurent was THAT?

You know how cigarette packets come with those white panels on the front that say SMOKING KILLS and SMOKING SERIOUSLY HARMS YOU AND OTHERS AROUND YOU? This book should carry one of those labels. It would say, THIS BOOK IS REALLY GENERIC.

It's not that it's bad. Well. Okay. Look, I'm trying to be diplomatic. This book was bad, but it's not the sort of thing that, if you're interested, you shouldn't read. There were some pretty co
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A lot of people were mentioning that this was like a lot of different dystopian books and while I agree, I still think this is worth the read.
I enjoyed the world, the magic system... even with the romantic bits.
I definitely saw parts of the ending coming but it was still entertaining!

Will be continuing the series!
Adam Silvera
Finished my reread on audio! Love the narrator. And this read was extra fun since I knew all the major twists and got to watch the characters barrel into danger and deception. Jumping into GLASS SWORD today for the first time. RED QUEEN binge, yay!

Here's a review I wrote back in 2015 for Shelf Awareness:

Victoria Aveyard's thrilling debut throws readers into a futuristic fantasy world of clashing countries, segregation and a rebellion that depends on a young thief.

In the country of Norta, the Fe
Jess
It’s getting a little hot in here, isn’t it? That’s because Red Queen has unearthed what I never thought could occur: A mini Darkling. That’s right. Yet another morally ambiguous character and I am sold.

I’m a book pusher and I’m going to push this one right into your hearts. Red Queen is the fantasy that I’ve been searching for. You’ve probably all heard the comparisons before and honestly, they speak the truth. Red Queen took the best elements from all our favourites (and our not so much) t
l a i n e y
Time moves slowly when you're waiting for something good.

The fact that Aveyard just bashed her own book, in her own book either means she's a real riot and cleverly self-deprecating OR she really had no self-awareness. Judging from the protagonist in her story, I'd lean on the latter.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

(semi) buddy read : Belle & Frankie

Lainey
Feb 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: to watch my non-spoiler book review + book talk on RED QUEEN click below:

I have a lot of feelings about this book. Few of them are good, some... aren't so good. I actually knew I wouldn't truly be able to rate it until after I thought about it for a few days, and I'm pretty content with my rating as of now.

There is a lot of hype surrounding this book, that much is obvious. I read it for the Carpe Librum Book Pick of the Month for February. Overall,
Steysha Kravits
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Me after the end of the book:

It`s soooo good, guys! Can`t say that for sure, but I guess it`s the best dystopian fantasy of the year! Everything you loved from The Selection, The Grisha trilogy, The Winner’s Curse can be found here!

The plot is furnished with mystery and intrigues of the royal family, forbidden love, the will to win, the inequality between the two races and, most importantly, the revolution! Along with Mare, we will rise from the bottom of Reds to high top of Silvers. This book
Jessica
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Definitely have some mixed feelings about this book.
This started out SO GOOD. I LOVED the whole idea about being divided by blood, and the silvers having these awesome powers, etc.. (I'm going to love any story involving awesome powers like this - The Darkest Minds trilogy, The Shatter Me trilogy, X-Men, etc...)

I loved (and hated) all the betrayal and the fact that you never really know who you can trust.. that ending. Man was I shocked...

...but then I found myself losing interest. Towa
Maureen
3.5/5
I went into this expecting it to be terrible and it really wasn't that bad! Definitely not the best, but not at all terrible. It's an interesting concept and story, but a few elements fall short. It's SUPER predictable, even if you don't catch onto foreshadowing most of the time, and the romantic elements were not great. You'll also need to suspend your disbelief at many points in time, but when don't you need to do that in a YA fantasy book? (Answer: not very often)
However, I really enjoy
Leserunde - Let's...: * Die rote Königin - Allgemeiner Austausch & Teilnehmer 5 20 16 hours, 39 min ago
2018 Reading Chal...: Red Queen: General Discussion *Spoiler Free* 7 27 22 hours, 4 min ago
casting call 51 723 Jul 12, 2018 05:36PM
Maven or Cal??? 1237 4044 Jul 10, 2018 02:15PM
YA/MG Rewind: June/July 2018 - Red Queen Discussion (10-16) 3 4 Jul 09, 2018 07:35PM
The YA Book Club: Red Queen Series Buddy Read! 11 41 Jul 06, 2018 02:09AM
Wonder Worms: July/August Book ~ Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 1 1 Jul 04, 2018 06:35PM
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)
  • The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)
  • The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • Talon (Talon, #1)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • Dead of Winter (The Arcana Chronicles, #3)
I'm a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. This site is the nexus of my universe.

My book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. I'm repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc.

The genres I'm into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic - if people are dying, I'm buying.
More about Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen (4 books)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
  • War Storm (Red Queen, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The truth is what I make it. I could set this world on fire and call it rain.” 2088 likes
“Anyone can betray anyone.” 1607 likes