Start by marking “The Woman on the Orient Express” as Want to Read:
The Woman on the Orient Express

The Woman on the Orient Express

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  16,036 ratings  ·  1,249 reviews
Hoping to make a clean break from a fractured marriage, Agatha Christie boards the Orient Express in disguise. But unlike her famous detective Hercule Poirot, she can’t neatly unravel the mysteries she encounters on this fateful journey.

Agatha isn’t the only passenger on board with secrets. Her cabinmate Katharine Keeling’s first marriage ended in tragedy, propelling her t
Published September 20th 2016 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Woman on the Orient Express, please sign up.
Sueli Silva-barton They met in Venice, where she was in a honeymoon with her husband, who didn’t care for her. There was a group of people at a party there and she met J…moreThey met in Venice, where she was in a honeymoon with her husband, who didn’t care for her. There was a group of people at a party there and she met James father at that party, distraught by catching her husband in his bedroom with another woman. She opened herself up to him about this misfortune and they started loving each other. The baby was conceived during that time, as Agatha calculated the date from the birth of James back to the date on the date on the back of the picture Nancy had of her, her lover, and the group at that party.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Janet Mahlum I don't mean to be sarcastic, but I think the author was very clear who the father of James was. As to whether the father loved Nancy, I don't think h…moreI don't mean to be sarcastic, but I think the author was very clear who the father of James was. As to whether the father loved Nancy, I don't think he even knew. I think he thought he did, but when it came to leaving his wife and daughter, he couldn't do it. He never knew he and Nancy had conceived a child so he was not at fault at not trying to find her. Or, maybe he did and we just don't know that side of the story. If you are truly confused about who the father is, I suggest you read the book again.
(less)

·  16,036 ratings  ·  1,249 reviews

Start your review of The Woman on the Orient Express
Brina
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Throughout my life I have always enjoyed reading mysteries as palette cleansers in between heavier reads. Whether its a contemporary series or historical stand alone, I am intrigued over the prospect of whodunit. Yet, my favorite mystery writer remains the Dame of British crime, Agatha Christie, especially cases featuring her Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. When I found out about a historical novel featuring Christie, I was equally intrigued. Lindsay Jayne Ashford's Woman on the Orient Express ...more
Luffy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I approached this book not knowing beforehand about the fact that it was a fictional account of Agatha Christie's journey on the Orient express. I was amused by the premise when I began reading. But soon I was invested in the tale.

Most of the journey from Calais to Istanbul made for an absorbing perusal. If you know where to look, there are references to Poirot's fictional journey in the same train. There is even a mystery in the story.

Most of the main characters are women, and they have issues
Susan
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful, historical novel, mixes fact and fiction and puts Agatha Christie at the centre of a story based loosely on real life. It is 1928 when Agatha has divorced her husband, Archie, after he told her that he was in love with another woman. She has endured endless press speculation about her life, especially after the incident where she went missing after the breakup of her marriage. Now, with Archie about to re-marry, she is feeling forlorn, sensitive and depressed. Determined to get a ...more
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
2.5★

I read a lot of favourable reviews for this title & I did think about breaking my longstanding rule - only freebies for my Kindle. I loved the cover art & a fictionalised account of Agatha Christie's trip on the Orient Express & subsequent adventures in the Middle East sounded right up my alley. Very high rating on GR too.

I'm so thankful I didn't pay for this book!

The book had a reasonable start & I loved some of the descriptions of the three ladies' travels. In particular my inner foodie l
Duane
I gave this 5 stars on "Audible" so I will do the same here. If I had just read the book it probably would have been a 4/4.5, but the narration by the very talented Justine Eyre was superb, thus the 5 stars.

The writing was very good, and the concept of the story and the plot was great. Ashford created an excellent set of characters for her story, and if you're going to have Agatha Christie be one of them, you better have your A-game. She pulled it off quite nicely; I think Agatha would have bee
Erin
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it

Audiobook narrated by Justine Eyre

Brief description
I have never read any books by Agatha Christie, but this book just sounded as if it was right up my alley. Although the fictionalized story only partially takes place on the Orient Express and it isn't a standard mystery, readers are introduced to three women all fleeing the past and heading to Baghdad. Distancing herself from the approaching second marriage of her ex-husband and the wagging tongues of the British media, is renowned
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I didn't have a clue what the book was about when I started to read this book. I thought this book would have some kind of mystery that that would inspire Agatha Christe to write one her mystery books. It wasn't until I had read perhaps half the book that I read the blurb and I'm glad that I did not read it before because I thought it gave away a little too much for my taste. I preferred to discover key events rather than knowing before I start a book.

As for the mysteries in this book. Well, I c
Holly
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am such a huge Agatha Christie fan, she's the #1 author for a reason. Her books are always something I look forward to reading. When I saw this book I was instantly intrigued. Even though this is a fictional account of Agatha's time after her divorce from Archie, there are quite a few facts interwoven throughout the story. As Agatha makes her way on to the famous Orient Express, she meets two other women traveling, Katharine and Nancy. They befriend each other a ...more
Brenda
Mrs Mary Miller, aka Mrs Agatha Christie, hoped for a few months to find her feet, settle her mind and recover from her husband’s treachery. As she boarded the Orient Express which was headed for Baghdad, she hoped no one would recognize her. Her cabin mate, Katharine Keeling, was a well to do young woman who was heading to the digs in the Middle East. And Nancy Nelson was running away with secrets of her own.

These three women became friends, first tentatively, then firmly. But they each kept th
☮Karen
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Of all the films made from Agatha Christie books, Murder on the Orient Express has always been my favorite. In the back of my mind ever since, I have wondered about the train, The Orient Express, as it seemed like an amazing way to see and experience life and history all at once.

This book offered me the next best thing, plus a fictional account of a time Ms. Christie traveled on the train following her divorce in 1928. I just loved this book and learned so much! Agatha meets many interesting and
Jeanette
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The train ride to Damascus is long. The stoppages and well met along the way both squalid and elegant. The women interesting and troubled. All for various reasons.

The book is too long. The travelogue stops both smelly and breath-taking to visuals. The women (our prime three) both insular and chatty. And secretive. All for various reasons.

At the 3/4th point of the book I would have given it a 3 star and noted it was a good emotive "he done me wrong" aftermath mixed with intriguing crosscut Agath
Sara
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 - just for fun stars.

I think Agatha Christie would be delighted to find herself a fictional character involved in an oriental adventure in the company of two other women that she just happened to meet on a train. Ashford's imagination of what might have happened on Agatha's voyage on the Orient Express in 1928 felt true and possible, and what more can you ask?

I needed a palate cleanser after two many hard, serious books, and this little gem was just the ticket. I found each of the women fasc
Lyn Elliott
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

Shades of Agatha Christie indeed!
Not only is Christie herself reinvented as a quasi-fictional character, but the author has Christie find ideas from her journeys that she will use as themes for the novels she will write.
Several other real people appear as characters too - archaeologists Leonard Woolley and Max Mallowan, and Woolley's wife Katherine. As much of the emotional drama of the book revolves around failing marriages and awkward sex, I couldn't help feeling embarrassed for the people
Fred Shaw
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a historical novel where none other than Agatha Christie herself is the protagonist as she takes a trip on The Orient Express. Soon after her divorce from her first husband Archie in the 1920’s, Mrs. Christie travels to Baghdad and on to ancient Ur to escape a recent scandal. This is the story of the journey and its effect on her life.

On the train Agatha meets several individuals, 2 women and a man, who come to be close friends and more. One of the women and the man work at an archaeolo
Kim
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
The Woman on the Orient Express is a fictionalized account of Agatha Christie's journey to Baghdad in 1928, after her first marriage failed. Along the way she befriends two women. All three are keeping certain secrets, but they eventually bond and confide in each other. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's not a mystery, just a gentle tale about friendship, a little romance, and making the most of second chances.
Mandy Radley
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read, partly fact (I think not much fact) and a lot of fiction about Agatha Christie's trip on the Orient Express to Baghdad in 1928 following the divorce from her husband. Makes me want to read Death on the Nile, and Murder on the Orient Express. Loved the movies, never read the books.
Eric
The Woman on the Orient Express is a good solid drama. A steady and interesting read that has a few surprises.

The main character is Agatha Christie and many of the people in the book actually lived. The story starts out with a visit from a young acquaintance coming to visit an aged Agatha. The young man wanted information about some people Agatha had known a long time ago. So the story proceeds with Agatha recalling/retelling of her experience when she booked a trip on the Orient Express. Agath
 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu
This is one of the few books where I did not read the synopsis before reading the book. All I knew of the book was it was a mystery and probably involved Agatha Christie. There were mysterious elements about the lives of the women Christie befriended on the Orient Express but this book was really about the life of Agatha Christie with fictional accounts interweaved into the story. I found myself immersed in Christie's life and enjoyed learning about her writing and muses. Her personal life was i ...more
Brittany
There's is a superb amount of historical context and research put into this book, but it is just dreadfully boring to read. I really think that the main issue with this book was that it just tried to cram TOO much into it.

As a reader you start out with a weird as crap beginning of some dude popping up to Agatha Christie to talk about the past, but in a creeper/stalker/spy type of way; which even after reading it still didn't make a lot of sense to me. Then we also follow two other women who end
eyes.2c
Mysteries beyond the Orient Express! Enthralling!

Set in 1928, the story opens later years with Agatha Christie, now a grandmother, being visited by a young man. He has with him a photograph of Agatha and two other women. One is his mother. He wants to know more about them, and in doing so, find out more about himself. He is convinced there is a mystery surrounding them that affects him. Agatha shares their story.
Meshing together fact and fiction Ashford has crafted a wonderful story depicting a
Em*bedded-in-books*
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
I came upon this book while surfing GoodReads on a lazy day.
The fact that it features Agatha Christie (though in a hugely fictional role) attracted me, and I started asap.
Three strong ladies -Agatha Christie, who is travelling by the Orient Express to escape the sordid details of her divorce from Archie, her first husband, Nancy, a newly wed socialite running away from her cruel husband, and Kathleen, a self assured archeologist feature as the kingpins.
They each have secrets that they carry.
And
Peggy
I found this to be a very intriguing and interesting fictional account about Agatha Christie's life during the break up of her 1st marriage. To be honest, I thought there would be a "murder" on the Orient Express but instead it's more about Agatha's relationship with 2 women she meets on the Orient Express while trying to come to terms with her husband's upcoming marriage to his mistress. Eventually she travels to Baghdad and then on to Ur to visit an archeological dig. I really enjoyed how the ...more
Barbara
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had some interesting parts, but I felt that it wasn't very well written. The first half was pretty good, but it seemed to just peter out at the end. I liked the IDEA of the book better than the actual writing. Still, it kept me going to the end.
Leslie D.
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book far more than I had expected to. I have not yet read any of Agatha Christie's works, and yet the rich story & character development of this book still made it at least a 4-star read that kept me very engaged! The narration was lovely as well. :) ...more
Sophia
How could I resist a fictional accounting of an adventure in the life of the Queen of Crime herself? This lovely and thoughtful tribute picks up during some of the darkest days of Agatha Christie's life just after her mother dies, she gives her husband a divorce to marry the woman he really loves, and the press is having a field day with the disappearance stunt. The Orient Express is there to carry her away from it all and into the east where the next part of her life will begin.

The story turns
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
Distraught over the break up of her marriage, Agatha Christie actually boarded the Orient Express, enroute to Istanbul and had adventures there.
This author has woven facts about Christie's life into the setting which makes this novel seem real. It was a very interesting concept and the dialogue was quite similar to how chacters speak in an Agatha Christie novels.
However, the plot seemed a little heavy handed. (I may have been spoiled, because I was reading a beautifully atmospheric novel by Dap
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As author Lindsay Jayne Ashford notes at the book’s end, Agatha Christie really did take a trip out to the Middle East on the Orient Express in 1928, and she really did meet Katharine Keeling on that trip. However, Ashford has blended in a fictionalized account of that trip that will keep readers on the edge of their seats.

Christie, bereft at her unfaithful ex-husband’s impending marriage, took the trip as a distraction. In Ashford’s version of that train ride, Christie encounters not just Keeli
Kimberly
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 88-books-in-2018
This was a WONDERFUL book! I loved the descriptions on the Orient Express, the travel to the Middle East, the characters, I was totally caught up in it all. Its a fantastic book and Im surprised it wasn't published by a well known publisher. They missed out. GREAT BOOK!
Heidi
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I was a huge Agathe Christie fan as a teenager and in my early teens, and although I have not read much by the author since devouring all her books in my youth, this amazing woman still intrigues me. Therefore I was quite excited when the audiobook version of The Woman on the Orient Express popped up in my recommendations from Amazon earlier this month, hoping to find out more about the mystery still surrounding the author’s life.

Focusing on events that may have inspired Christie’s writing and
Bon Tom
When I saw names of Agatha Chriestie and Poirot, I thought this was a mystery book. Not so. It's pure chiclit, actully, not that it's bad, but that's what it is. If you like typical, romance chiclit books with rudimentary elements of mystery in the form of who kissed who and why, you'll like this.

• The Color of Secrets
  • The Snow Gypsy
  • The Victory Garden
  • Where Death Lies (Megan Rhys Crime Mystery Series)
  • Red Mistress
  • The Last of the Moon Girls
  • The Mysterious Death of Miss Austen
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • The Girl with the Golden Scissors
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • The Woman in the Moonlight
  • Honeysuckle Season
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Stay
  • Millicent Glenn's Last Wish
  • Where the Story Starts
Same author publishes as Lindsay Ashford. ...more

News & Interviews

“Could she really do it? Could she really go all that way by herself? Yes, she whispered, of course you can do it: you’re thirty-eight years old and you’re not going to the moon, just to Baghdad. The word sounded the way a shiver felt. At the dinner party in London it had been a shiver of excitement, but now it held a frisson of dread. She” 5 likes
“For the train, like life, must go on until it reaches its destination. You might not always like what you see out of the window, but if you pull down the blind, you will miss the beauty as well as the ugliness. My” 3 likes