Start by marking “The Blood Artists: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Blood Artists: A Novel

The Blood Artists: A Novel

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
THE END OF THE WORLD WILL COME FROM WITHINIt first appears in Africa--hideous and unstoppable--an all-consuming terror unlike anything the world has ever seen.

Two years later, it resurfaces to feed on the residents of a small New England town. Within days, only a handful survive--including one young woman whose blood is the serum of life--miraculously pared to bear witness
Published May 26th 2009 by Harper (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Artists

Melki
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
"Four days, start to finish," he said in French. "First the headache. Flu-like symptoms, a general malaise. Then spasms, chills and onward." He rumbled a light cough into the dirty handkerchief. "Four to five days, fever to fulmination. Three weeks now. It set upon the camp like an eclipse."

Whatever was eating Jacqueline Moutouari, it was not the smallpox virus. It was something not yet encountered by human medicine.

Right now, the world is in a panic over Ebola, and the US is finally taking noti
Kasia
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first time reading Hogan turned out to be a fun romp through mystery and science, a chase for the virus that spreads though blood, one commodity that is rare to keep and difficult to obtain. Blood is the river that links all the lakes in this story, all the characters have something in common, the latest epidemic of outbreaks that kill in a horrific way has to start somewhere, two brilliant scientists who are at the center of it all end up enemies, both have dome some questionable things, who ...more
Ashley
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Chuck Hogan is a Terrific writer, he has The Prince Of Thieves (The Town) also known as the movie The Town with Ben Affleck.
The book started with to friends who work at the CDC who drift apart over time and become enemies
But along the way meet back up and go along just like nothing was wrong,
It was a spine tingling, smart, that got better and better with every turn of the page
With GREAT twists and turns that leave you flipping back to think "did that just happen"??.....

I will be buying more o
Carol Brannigan
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised at this read. Basic story about man versus virus, thrown in a little gore, a couple large ego's and the "end of humans as we know it" concept and it seems like just another cliche. What I found instead of the cliche was a well written compelling story that had a twist I didn't expect.

Initially I was going to give this 3 stars due to the back and forth writing between point of views and a little too in depth description about viruses and blood. However, the author mentioned t
Rebekah Mann
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long while. Well written, insanely gorey and well focused, this novel renews my hope for the plague sub genre. There is a very genuine story behind all the science and disease that thrives on great character development. It's rare you can find a book as smart as this one (with a few tiny exceptions) that pulls no punches when it comes to violence and gore. Awesome, awesome read.
Tori
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a cut above other novel's of its genre. Not to denigrate Michael Crichton, Tess Geritsen, or any other author that works with similar plots, but Chuck Hogan has a way of fleshing out characters that's really extraordinary. The plot (a wildly imaginative virus that's being spread by a human vector) is compelling in its own right, but the depth that Hogan gives to his characters makes "The Blood Artists" compulsively readable.
Dan Downing
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hogan's sophomore effort rips along with a fine premise and compelling characters. I forget if biological thrillers were all the rage back then, but if so, this one has held up very well. The generalized use of tablets, for instance,fits right into today, which is when the story is set, more or less. The science is sound enough to pass muster and the threat very real.
If one is looking for a 'page-turner' and does not play concert piano, then this book fills the bill.
Highly recommended.
R
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always fascinated by pandemics and pathogens, and probably know more about BSL 4 suits than I should so I was eager to read Chuck's take on this. And I found that I was really interested in how the story evolved and what he was able to do with a virus. Something that you normally wouldn't see in this realm. A good read with plenty of mystery and action. I quite enjoyed this foray into this genre.
Evelyn
Dec 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
"Everything that begins, begins with blood." In the 21st century, clean blood is a precious commodity. Two doctors who developed a synthetic form of blood become directors of the Bureau for Disease Control and must battle a mutating virus that threatens to wipe out human existence in 2010.

Futuristic sci-fi elements. Well-plotted. Different.
Kate
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely liked this book. I found it was a good thriller, and I ate it up trying to get to the end to figure out the mystery. I am a fan of biological/viral related subjects, so this one was right up my alley
Amber
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this one over the course of a few days. Excellent science fiction/thriller/medical novel, with a hint of horror to it. I personally think it would make a great film. Got it at a thrift store, and now I'm hooked on Hogan.
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall I enjoyed this one. It's a solid medical/science fiction thriller. There were parts that dragged and others that weren't very realistic if you gave it a lot of thought but there was enought action and twists in the story that I was interested in seeing it through.
Nate Hendrix
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very different from his first book, but just as good. This reminded me of Michael Chriton. I am looking forward to reading more of his stuff.
Ben
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can tell its a first novel, good thoughts, poor execution.
Melanie
Nov 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You wouldn't think one could take this premise and make it boring, but yes - yes - you certainly can do so. Slogged through it as best I could.
Mike Sullivan
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid read, thumbs up...really interesting concept of envisioning a virus in the form of a person...understand why author teamed up w/Guillermo del Torre to write The Strain...
Tanya
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Longer than it should have been. Other than that really enjoyed it. Would love to see this made into a movie, it would be totally gross!
Debbybaer
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular medical/sci fi thriller.
Vince Carter
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High intensity drama related to catastrophic viral infection that comes too close to almost eradicating everyone--enjoyable (but more so if you don't focus too intently on the science)
Don Sam
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the book. I discoverd this book long ago by accident, and once I began reading I couldn't put it down. Scientis saving lives while trying to stay alive.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Medical thriller, graphic
Wealhtheow
Jul 02, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t_finish
Didn't finish. Ostensibly a thriller, it is the very un-engaging tale of two scientists working for the CDC, trying to stop horrifyingly infectious and virulent disease.
Sid Korpi
  • Frankenstorm
  • The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times
  • General Chemistry: The Essential Concepts
  • Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius
  • Blood to Blood (Dracula Continues, #2)
  • Pandemonium
  • The Three of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-3)
  • Haunted: Dark Delicacies III (Dark Delecacies, #3)
  • A Walk in the Darkness (Ben Kamal and Danielle Barnea, #3)
  • Unholy Allies
  • Anthology (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel Anthology)
  • Destini incrociati  (La Straniera, #12)
  • Halo: Evolutions Volume I
  • Physics Demystified: A Self-Teaching Guide (Demystified)
  • How the World Became Quiet: Myths of the Past, Present, and Future
  • The Vampire Princess
  • Seed of Doubt
202311
Chuck Hogan is an American author. His story "Two Thousand Volts" appeared in The Best American Mystery Stories 2009. He is the co-author of The Strain Trilogy with Guillermo del Toro. His 2004 novel Prince of Thieves was adapted to film as the Ben Affleck directed The Town in 2010.
More about Chuck Hogan...