Start by marking “A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)

A Fashionable Indulgence

(Society of Gentlemen #1)

In the first novel of an explosive new series from K. J. Charles, a young gentleman and his elegant mentor fight for love in a world of wealth, power, and manipulation. When he learns that he could be the heir to an unexpected fortune, Harry Vane rejects his past as a radical fighting for government reform and sets about wooing his lovely cousin. But his heart is captured ...more
MP3 CD
Published August 2nd 2016 by Audible Studios on Brilliance Audio (first published August 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Fashionable Indulgence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fashionable Indulgence

Start your review of A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

The beginning was tentative, but as is typical of a K.J. Charles novel, the story picked up, and I was mesmerized.

This book has it all: ballroom politics, bedroom antics, and societal intrigue.

The flame between the flashy, sarcastic Julius and the fledgling-radical-turned-heir Harry cannot be suppressed.

Julius is "made of moonlight." His dry sense of humour had me in tears:

"[Your style is excellent] ... for a large and sober man of forty."

"Thirty-six," Lord Richard said.

"Really? I
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Only $0.99 today at Amazon US, 11/9/15! http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Ind...*

*4.5 stars*

Lesson learned: never doubt K.J. Charles.

There is no getting around the fact that the start of this book is sort of slow. At first, I was feeling a little iffy about the story and having a really hard time connecting to the characters, which was freaking me out because this author is usually SO on point... like ALL of the time.

Then things started to get interesting.

The plot of the book is deceptively
K.J. Charles
Dec 31, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 of the Society of Gentlemen trilogy, set in Regency England. Young Radical Harry Vane discovers his noble birth, and is plunged into Society with icy fop Julius Norreys as his guide, tutor...and more. May involve politics, plots, marriage and murder as well as some seriously nice clothes and one really bad puce coat....

The first in a trilogy of m/m Regency romances about a group of gentlemen with unconventional desires in a time of social and political turmoil.

(There's a story about two
SheReadsALot

BR with Adam & Cupcake!

A tag-team review betwixt Cupcake and Baby can be found here:

4.5 HEARTS--Regency era through the mighty pen of K.J. Charles.

My favorite historical period written by one of my favorite authors? You know I was all over that.
This wasn’t fabulous on-dit with the Ton and clandestine meetings at molly houses (I like those too) Charles brought her fabulous vocabulary to the London streets of 1819 where the working class continues to suffer under British society. The upper
Kat
I'm aware that there's a time and a place for D/s sex on tables while magpie tattoos flutter around excitedly....

And it's tempting to go with the wave of praise and let Charles' earlier works, that were without exception instant successes for me, appease my disappointment.

And compared to what else the genre has to offer, A Fashionable Indulgence truly is a decent regency romance. But the truth of the matter is, I'd been looking forward to Charles' usual quirky, amusing and interesting
wesley
gentleman

While it can’t be denied that this was an excellently written book, I can’t also say that this is Charles’ best book. I expected it to be fast-paced and tension-filled but was kind of let down when I found it more subdued.

The characters were interesting enough, but I found it difficult to connect with them as much as I wanted to. Harry and Julius’ romance lacked chemistry and felt bland. The build-up and UST I was waiting for in a Pygmalion trope didn't live up to expectations.

With the story

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
BR with Baby & The Adam!

I A DANDY!!!!

photo tumblr_mhs4ssq5TI1r5hg4ko1_250_zpsvbrw6ztb.jpg

I wish I could give this all the hearts.

This is my first K.J. Charles and I was captivated. I dragged it out because I didn't want it to end. I'm a fan of series wherein a cast of characters, that aren't blood related, are family nonetheless and if that cast of characters are all intriguing then I can hardly ask for more.

All of these characters are expertly drawn:

The unflappable Cyprian
The detached dandy Julius
The impetuous Harry
The imperious and
Shile
Buddy reread June 2019; With Elena, Moony, Rosa and Teal.

Loved it even more the second time.

K.J. Charles's writing is great. She made me feel like i was living in the 1800s with these characters.

***************************************
5 +++++++++++ stars

Read this in one sitting.

This book! this book!

description

I Loved the writing, Loved Julius adored Harry.

description
Ingie
Written August 18, 2015

3.8 Stars - A historical yummy M-M romance is always a joy for me and this was a good enough series start

A Fashionable Indulgence is new M/M Historical from a fantastic favorite romance writer, K.J. Charles. I've more or less read and loved every story by her magic pen so far. It felt great to at last (after months of eager waiting) start this new very promising three book Society of Gentlemen series (new lovebirds in each series part).

And was it a good one?

Oh yes
Moony Eliver
June 2019: I liked this volume even a little more than I did on my first read. This time, I was determined to write more of a review, but I still can't because I'm still too anxious to move onto A Seditious Affair, which is easily my favorite book in the series.

-----original review-------
This book deserves more of a review than I'm going to write right now, but I'm impatient to start the next in the series.

After the volcanic start that was the short prequel (do not miss that, omg the hotness), I
Ms. Smartarse
10-year-old Harry Vane has been fervently hoping for a serious stroke of luck, in the form of a sizable inheritance. Forget changing the world, he'd rather be a lazy good-for-nothing noble, if he could stop having to run from the authorities. Wonder of wonders, our hero gets his wish 14 years later. Of course, this sudden windfall comes with plenty of strings attached, but Harry's seen much dire circumstances.

... until he gets hopelessly enamoured with his aloof dandy of a teacher, and realizes
Adam
BR with SheReadsALot and Wench!

In last year's Another Place In Time anthology, KJ Charles' entry, 'The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh', was all kinds of awesome. When I found out that Charles was writing a series about Gabriel and his lover Francis' friends, I was ecstatic. 'A Fashionable Indulgence' was a great beginning to this new series!

Harry Vane, formerly Harry Gordon, is the son of impoverished Radicals in Regency-era England. He's hated the upper-crust his whole life, but when he
Vivian
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, romance-hist
I'm a sucker for Regency romances, and this was no exception. Harry and Julius make a fine pair in this My Fair Lady salute. But it is the depth in the embroidering of the characters that make this as delightful as it is. It had all the elements I could want combined in a fresh manner.

Strange that I never really think much about the transition to representational government in England. Yes, I realize it predated all those with the Magna Carta. Frankly, compared to the American, French and
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

A Fashionable Indulgence is the first installment of a new series, A Society of Gentleman, from the marvelous K.J. Charles, released by Penguin Random House digital only imprint, Loveswept. As far as my knowledge, the series will be a trilogy, featuring the gentlemen from the Ricardians group of friends.

I will be honest to say that this book was NOT a smooth sailing reading experience for me. I struggled a bit in the beginning because the historical context – it sets in
Trisha Harrington
5 amazing stars!

KJ Charles has become an auto buy author for me. Her books always hit the right spot for me and A Fashionable Indulgence is no exception. The first book in a new trilogy, this has made me even more excited for the next two books.

At first, I admit, I struggled to get into it. There was a lot for me to adjust to with the 1800’s historical settling and politics, but I soon found myself falling into the story and enjoying it more and more.

I loved Harry. The lost soul who was so
Kaje Harper
This historical romance manages to balance out a love story, a social commentary, and a young man's coming of age, and do it well. Harry is the son of a well-born man who left the world of the ton behind to marry a commoner and agitate for social reform in the streets of England. Harry grew up among radicals and agitators, always poor, often frightened, but also shaped by the drive and moral convictions of his parents and their friends. The death of his parents left him alone at 17, and ...more
Lyn
Audio 5 stars
Story 3.5

I've only recently started listening to audiobooks, and I do a lot of switching from listening to reading. I'm not always feeling the performance of the narrator. Especially during sex scenes. So far for me, the performances have lacked authenticity.

This is the first audiobook where I didn't even feel tempted to stop listening. Matthew Lloyd Davies is amazing! Simply amazing!! I will go out of my way to find books he narrates. Talk about giving life to a book and
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
"If you can't be happy, then be something else. Be useful, that would be good. Decorative, if you like. Selfish, if you must. But don't whine about it."

I have always adored historical romances. My love for them started when I was 17 and I found a box of Mills & Boon historicals in our attic, which no one in my house laid claim to (these were in fact my mother’s but she denies it to this day). I found them the week I finished my final exams and spent the next two weeks avoiding humans and
DarienMoya
The Story: 4.5Pants Off

I loved the heck out of this! Can anyone else do regency gay romance like how KJ Charles does it?? This was a freaking gift and made my historical romance loving heart super happy.

Harry and Julius set the streets and the sheets of London on fire. Throw in all the political fighting, abundant wealth, and street walking poor. Where men fight for the poor and go against queen and country and others will fight just to shut them up.

A Fashionable Indulgence was a delight of
Sofia
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After a relatively sedate begining this one turned into a roller coaster of a story. The combination of romance, story, social commentary, secondary characters and period detail created a great combination and an excellent background for the coming two books in this trilogy. The book can be read on it's own but it does make you very eager to read more about the Society.

Because of this combination which was excellently done in my opinion, we do not get into as much depth as we might want to with
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Don’t let the title fool you, or lull you into what would be a false sense of comfort.

Danger, fear, and violence – the potential for and realization of – are inescapable results of suppression. Something always gives way. This is true on societal and personal levels. This novel is an examination of both. It’s an examination of the many different forms of expression and decisions made while living a reality filled with these things. While trying to survive. While struggling to do more than just
Andrea
Ok. So. Once more I am finding myself at a loss how to adequately do a book by this wonderful author justice. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and I am still blown away by how much there was to this wonderful story. It's so much more than a typical historical romance: it tackles not only the problem of how men of what was considered an "unnatural persuasion" found happiness knowing that just one wrong move would see them hanged; it gives an amusing insight into what constitutes a ...more
Ele
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
*4.5 stars*

This was absolutely amazing! I'm relatively new to MM historical romance and this is my first K.J.Charles book *hangs head in shame*. Frankly, I'm blown away by the quality of writing, the detailed description of the era, the romance itself and the steamy scenes.

I admit it took me a while to get into the story but by 25% I was sucked into it, I almost read it in one sitting.

I can't wait for the story of Dominic and Silas.

Shor review is short. But Ele is very happy.

Verity
[image error] photo A fashionable genteman1_zpsu79qa5ub.jpg

Ms Charles is back with a riveting new series about Regency gentlemen, members of the tonne, with a backdrop of political unrest and violence between the upper and lower classes. This book is certainly a historical romance first and foremost, but also a sweet tale of two men finding their place in the world.

Julian, a witty if not jaded dandy with exquisite taste, is tasked with turning Harry, a son of a radical demagogue who had been disinherited by his well-to-do father, into an
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Ever have one of those reading, or in this case listening, experiences where you can't wait to get back to it and you don't want it to end?

Yeah.

That what I had with this. I was even better than when I read it because Matthew Lloyd Davies was incredible! If you've read this series then you know there are a bunch of characters. A whole bunch and somehow, bafflingly he gave each and every one of them their own voice!

What he did for sweet, lovable Harry made me love him all the more, but his
Caz
First off, I have to admit this is the first book I have read by this author, but on the strength of it, I’m going to seek out her entire backlist, because A Fashionable Indulgence is an utterly fantastic read and I was really impressed. It hooked me in from the first page and kept me that way until the very end; the story is well-developed with plenty of historical detail, all the characters are very strongly drawn, and the two protagonists are captivating and intriguing. In short, I couldn’t ...more
Isabel
I love historical romances, and when we are talking about MM romances, is not always easy to make the story credible... But this author is just amazing! Her characters are always enthralling and captivating, and this new series is, surely, another one to grab me till the end!

I can't wait to read more about these gentlemen!!!

Note:
ARC was kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Erika
The verdict? Not bad, but not excellent either.

I was super excited for this to come out, since I tend to love K.J. Charles's books, but you know what? I didn't love this one. I felt it was too easy to guess what would happen at each turn. I also didn't fall for the characters like I did for the characters in her other books and I felt this one was just ok. I'll definitely read the other books in what I'm assuming is going to be a series. I mean, you could see the set up for each book coming a
M
I cannot believe I'm about to say this of a KJ Charles book, but... I was bored. I just was not feeling the chemistry here. Seemed like an awful lot of telling, rather than showing, and the distinct lack of sexual tension and humour was disappointing. It's not a bad book at all. Much better than quite a few historical M/Ms I've read, but just not up to KJ standards. That said, I eagerly await the sequel because it sounds delicious.
Maya
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What can I say?! KJ Charles’ books are my comfort reads. Not that there’s no angst in them - I mean, there’s a scene in A Fashionable Indulgence in which two lovers quarrel over a puce coat and it made me tear up! – but she balances everything perfectly. Just the right amounts of pain and heartbreak, danger and fear, and love and happiness.

The flow of the story was effortless. The characters were layered and interesting. Julius revealed himself slowly - each of Harry’s smiles and kisses

• Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • The Soldier's Scoundrel (The Turner Series, #1)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • It Takes Two to Tumble (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #1)
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Carousel (Whyborne & Griffin, #3.4)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

Society of Gentlemen (3 books)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
“If you can’t be happy, then be something else. Be useful, that would be good. Decorative, if you like. Selfish, if you must. But don’t whine about it.” 10 likes
“When my namesake, the great Caesar, rode in triumph,” Julius said, “he was accompanied by a slave whose role was to whisper to him, You are but mortal. To remind him he was merely a man who would one day die like any other. If I could, I should have you at my side to remind me that I am alive, because I have not felt alive in so damned long, and with you, I do. No, I don’t want you to marry, any more than I want you to return to your dirty democrats. I want to show you the world, and see you smile, and keep you with me while my soul grows back.” 9 likes