Start by marking “Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart

Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart

Inspired by the author's own pilgrimage of walking the legendary Camino de Santiago across Spain comes Rebirth, a novel of reconciliation and forgiveness.

After losing his estranged father, Amit wanders across Europe and embarks on the five-hundred and fifty mile Camino de Santiago to reconcile his inner conflict. It is on this path that he begins reflecting on relationship
Published January 3rd 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Rebirth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebirth

Dawn
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Although I love Kamal's other books, this one's my favorite. I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy. "Rebirth" is a teaching fable a about a universal story--love, forgiveness, finding oneself...

It takes place on the Camino de Santiago in Spain as the protagonist works through a personal tragedy and attempts to find meaning in his past, present, and future.

"Rebirth" is the kind of story, writing, and characterization that made me feel it was me, and feel deeply. At the en
Ragan
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I knew before I finished this book that I wanted to write a review for it, something I don't normally take the time to do on Goodreads. After giving myself some time to really absorb this book, I can say it is one of the best books I have read in a long while. There is so much wisdom and substance to this story without being overly sappy or in your face with self-help style advice. The main character is on a journey to rediscover himself after the loss of his abusive father, who he had very litt ...more
Katie Miller
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because the title caught my attention. What I didn't realize was it's about the Camino de Santiago, which my mom and I have talked about doing for years. I really appreciate that even thought it's a work of fiction, it can be read as a non-fiction. It's filled with lessons, deep thoughts and many lines that I wrote down for future reference. Kamal simplified his journey on the Camino de Santiago to focus on the conversations and moments, verse the actual walk itself. I felt ...more
Rupy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Started off well, towards the middle it became a bit dull and then towards the end felt too rushed. This took me a while to finish as I grew bored of it and it's lack of character development, perhaps if it was a bit longer and more thought out.
Louise
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't like memoirs. This book was not a memoir but it was written as if it could be. The story just did not pull the reader through until the end. In fact, by the middle I started questioning why I kept on. I think the only reason I did was because it's not a very long book. I kept hoping something would happen. It didn't. I felt as if I slogged along all 550 miles. I didn't like the main character nor did I like any of the people he met on his trek. All in all, a marginal book.
Sven Gerst
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
It really feels bad to write such a bad review, but this book really deserves it. Attempting to carve out deep, profound insights about the meaning of life, the author ends up repeating shallow, pathetic clichés that even appear cringeworthy at times. One of the worst books about the Camino. Do not bother!
Janine
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A story sprinkled with good life advice. Not a rich story when it comes to language and character descriptions. I don't mind simplicity, but the story was a little bit too staged, seemed forced, and did not unfold naturally enough for me.
Gail Baugniet
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With such a premise, it seems impossible to pass up such a read: Amit, a young Indian man, takes the ashes of his estranged father to the Ganges, fulfilling a deathbed promise. At loose ends, he stumbles into a plan to walk Camino de Santiago, an ancient 550-mile pilgrimage across Spain.

The people Amit meets, the stories he hears, the lessons he learns are meant to give the reader pause, to contemplate life, and to resolve issues that bury any chance for happiness. At least, this is my impressi
Jack Mierl
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic novel. Ravikant shines best when the narrator intimately takes to and exposes himself emotionally to a wonderful cast of characters that he meets on the Camino. It's a quick read, page turner. However, I found myself returning to sections of the novel to reread conversations and little moments of self realization that the narrator has with himself.

Excellent novel for anyone who is looking to go on a journey, either external or within themselves, and to come out a new person.
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read with some lovely reminders about life, love and spirit sprinkled throughout. I felt like I was walking along with the main character on his journey. It definitely renewed my desire to reconnect with nature and undertake a big trek some day.
Juan Duarte
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A little new-ageish for me, but quite a good read. The writing and story telling are put together very well.
Susan Lanigan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Really enjoyed listening to this...listened while walking so felt I was travelling with the author on the Camino and getting to know the characters. Feel a bit bereft now I've finished!

My first audible, hopefully there will be more. Generally I lack the patience but this one was different.
Bill Yeadon
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
As I plan to spend a few weeks on the Camino de Santiago next year I have started reading various books of the pilgrims. Kamal's book is based in fact on his wandering period after the death of his estranged father. By accident, he hears about the Camino and decides he needs to walk the 800 KM path.

I enjoyed the book but because his characters are fictional (though they may be based on fellow travelers) I couldn't really feel these were real people and real adventures.

The current book I am liste
Dave Grone
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story here, even if it was a bit unbelievable. That said, this book is less about plot feasibility, & more about the message. And the message is truly inspirational. Highly recommended & an easy read.
Alissa Nance
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
To be honest, this book was a disappointment. It felt like the author was constantly striving to create deep, meaningful scenes, but he rarely achieved this goal.

It was a quick read and perhaps that's one reason why I found it to difficult to truly sympathize with the main character. For many of the characters, their sole purpose in the text was to make the main character reconsider his life and question the meaning of everything. All in all, it felt too heavy handed.

The author also just drops
Helia Jorge
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Renascer" de Kamal Ravikant, mais um livro lido de uma assentada. "O que gostas num livro?" perguntava-me um amigo. Que esteja bem escrito, que tenha uma história que me prenda, que me faça evadir, .... mas quando leio um livro de um fôlego só é quando eu realmente gostei.
Este livro é uma história "simples" de um homem que faz os Caminhos de Santiago. Cada capítulo é uma dia de peregrinação, Cada capítulo é uma peregrinação ao interior dos nossos medos, das nossas frustrações, ilusões, culpas,
Vickie Allen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A warm intimate story woven with profound truths.
Doug Gann
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I now consider this at the top of my all-time favorite books. The deeper I got into this book the better it got, I didn't want it to end.
Helen White
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most of this book's significance, for me, came down to its timing and the synchronicity of going this deep into the pilgrimmage route the leads to Santiago de Compostela (the Camino de Santiago or Way of St James) at this particular time in my broader explorations. In fact, around the time of reading it, I came across this route seemingly everywhere I turned...three films about it presented on Amazon and I discovered an extenstion of it crossed with where I was travelling to (the Tyrol and parti ...more
Henrik Akselsen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
The premise is great and the book started out strong, but kept getting weaker. The beta nature of the main character almost made me unable to finish it.

The prose is flat, filled with clichés and platitudes. The main characters sense of humor is also so bad that most of the attempts at lighthearted humor should have been taken out.

The worst part is the unfortunate cast change near the middle of the book, when the main character gets a new companion. The new character is boring, repetitive and a
Lee Flannery
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice enough messages here, although I'm not sure I would have really gotten them all if I hadn't already been familiar with the concepts self-compassion and self-forgiveness.

Maybe it's just not for me right now. The characters were a little thin, and their actions a little convenient. I felt like The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future were guiding me through Spain, and they'd for some reason developed a nasty habit of getting wine-drunk every night.

It's not bad. It's short enough, if
Olivia Farr
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Rebirth” is an interesting journey of self-discovery, as Amit travels across Spain. Amit has had a pretty tough go of things, leaving him unsettled and conflicted. As he travels, he comes to terms with a lot of the events of his life and finds his own peace. It’s a calming story overall and flows really nicely- just like you were listening to Amit tell you his story across a campfire. Told in the first person, we feel we really get to know Amit as the book continues, and he echoes many of our o ...more
Aimee Deem
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a MUST READ!!!

I read the author's other book, which lead to this. I seriously couldn't put it down until I read every word.

The descriptions of his journey - sights, sounds, tastes, smells and touch...I felt as though I were there. The emotional turmoil was raw and real; not just his, but with each person that crossed his path. No matter how much you know (or think you know), nothing beats genuine wisdom and this book is FULL of it.

I will definitely be reading this again and again. The
Reading Fool
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2017
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

While this is a work of fiction, it is based on the author's own experience as he trekked the Camino de Santiago in Spain. The protagonist, Amit, is mourning the death of his estranged father from cancer. He and his alcoholic father did not have a relationship and Amit is ridden with guilt. He takes the opportunity to go on the pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago, thinking that he will walk for only seven days and then go home. What en
Margaret1358 Joyce
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A 1st-person narrative framed by yellow arrows, nightly 'refugios', and encounters with strangers on the centuries-old, 550-mile pilgrimage route of the Camino de Santiago de Compostelo, this is a soulful read. The writer/narrator, a self-described 'accidental pilgrim' gives a bone deep account of his physical,mental, spiritual and emotional highs and lows subsequent to the recent death of his estranged father, as he pushes himself to tramp through rain, mud and forest, under the sometimes seari ...more
`Cristina
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
mixed feelings about this book..
a pleasant surprise, honestly chosen because it tells the story of the famous Camino de Santiago. I was interested in reading (again) about it. While the narration is pleasant and fluid, and the story compelling, I found the book slightly superficial, the story too rushed. Characters did not have the depth they deserve, which was a pity since each one of them had something to tell us.
I cant help but comparing to the famous Coelho's book The Pilgrimage/El Camino de
Luke Lawrence
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little overbearing with the spiritual goo goo and whining in the beginning (the word "love" isn't a good theme), but makes it all worth it toward the end. The last 100 pages are the best and are worth reading through the beginning drudge. The entire book though is full of insight and occasionally Ravikant writes beautifully. But, sometimes he seems to be trying to write beautifully more than actually saying something. Again, he's hit or miss toward the beginning, but pulls through with a great ...more
Linda
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed a lot of things about this book and would have given it a better rating but the last 1/3 of the book introduced a character who said the following three phrases or variations of these phrases multiple times on each page, "oh you poor boy" "oh you sweet poor boy" "oh my dear boy". If those phrases said over and over agin by a 60ish woman to a 27ish man doesn't ruin a book for you then you will probably love this book. Despite Kat and her poor boys I did like this book and hiking the cam ...more
Adnan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a tale of acceptance and forgiveness

The tale of how a young man comes to terms and accepts his estranged father after his death by virtue of a pilgrimage journey. The book initially was slow and sounded more like any other novel with a broken heart but halfway through his conversations with a fellow pilgrim and her life get him thinking about his own life and how he must forgive is what set him free.
Joanne Mcleod
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although this book is a fictional narrative it presents more inspiring beauty and wisdom than any real life account. It is very true to discovering love and one’s true self on the Camino pilgrimage. Reading it causes me even more to discover this spiritual journey for myself.
I especially loved the wise advice on making any important decision or choice in life. Apply the saying, “If I loved myself, I would....”
Goodreads Librari...: missing book covers 2 11 Jul 13, 2017 11:56AM
I've been fortunate enough to have some amazing experiences in my life so far. I've trekked to one of the highest base camps in the Himalayas, meditated with Tibetan monks in the Dalai Lama's monastery, earned my US Army Infantry patch, walked 550 miles across Spain, lived in Paris, been the only non-black, non-woman member of the Black Women's writers' group, written a novel, held the hands of dy ...more
“How do you find peace?" I ask.
"I say 'yes,'" he says.
"To all that happens, I say 'yes.”
1 likes
“The Secret to Flight

Don't flap your wings so hard. It only exhausts you.

Close your eyes. Lean into the currents, say yes. Let the wind raise you higher and higher. So easy. That's what Eagles do.

Oh, this is the secret to life as well.”
1 likes