Start by marking “Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart

Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart

Inspired by the author's own pilgrimage of walking the legendary Camino de Santiago across Spain comes Rebirth, a novel of reconciliation and forgiveness.

After losing his estranged father, Amit wanders across Europe and embarks on the five-hundred and fifty mile Camino de Santiago to reconcile his inner conflict. It is on this path that he begins reflecting on relationship
Published January 3rd 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Rebirth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebirth

Start your review of Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart
Dawn
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Although I love Kamal's other books, this one's my favorite. I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy. "Rebirth" is a teaching fable a about a universal story--love, forgiveness, finding oneself...

It takes place on the Camino de Santiago in Spain as the protagonist works through a personal tragedy and attempts to find meaning in his past, present, and future.

"Rebirth" is the kind of story, writing, and characterization that made me feel it was me, and feel deeply. At the en
Katie Miller
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because the title caught my attention. What I didn't realize was it's about the Camino de Santiago, which my mom and I have talked about doing for years. I really appreciate that even thought it's a work of fiction, it can be read as a non-fiction. It's filled with lessons, deep thoughts and many lines that I wrote down for future reference. Kamal simplified his journey on the Camino de Santiago to focus on the conversations and moments, verse the actual walk itself. I felt ...more
Ragan
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I knew before I finished this book that I wanted to write a review for it, something I don't normally take the time to do on Goodreads. After giving myself some time to really absorb this book, I can say it is one of the best books I have read in a long while. There is so much wisdom and substance to this story without being overly sappy or in your face with self-help style advice. The main character is on a journey to rediscover himself after the loss of his abusive father, who he had very litt ...more
Sara
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2019, owls2019
The concept was interesting but I felt the story became second to the necessity of quotations and creating inspirational lines. There was little plot, the characters were very bland and I couldn't care for any of them. Honestly, not a great book for a readathon. ´

Final rating: 3 stars
Rupy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Started off well, towards the middle it became a bit dull and then towards the end felt too rushed. This took me a while to finish as I grew bored of it and it's lack of character development, perhaps if it was a bit longer and more thought out.
Louise
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't like memoirs. This book was not a memoir but it was written as if it could be. The story just did not pull the reader through until the end. In fact, by the middle I started questioning why I kept on. I think the only reason I did was because it's not a very long book. I kept hoping something would happen. It didn't. I felt as if I slogged along all 550 miles. I didn't like the main character nor did I like any of the people he met on his trek. All in all, a marginal book.
Sven Gerst
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
It really feels bad to write such a bad review, but this book really deserves it. Attempting to carve out deep, profound insights about the meaning of life, the author ends up repeating shallow, pathetic clichés that even appear cringeworthy at times. One of the worst books about the Camino. Do not bother!
Janine
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A story sprinkled with good life advice. Not a rich story when it comes to language and character descriptions. I don't mind simplicity, but the story was a little bit too staged, seemed forced, and did not unfold naturally enough for me.
Gail Baugniet
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With such a premise, it seems impossible to pass up such a read: Amit, a young Indian man, takes the ashes of his estranged father to the Ganges, fulfilling a deathbed promise. At loose ends, he stumbles into a plan to walk Camino de Santiago, an ancient 550-mile pilgrimage across Spain.

The people Amit meets, the stories he hears, the lessons he learns are meant to give the reader pause, to contemplate life, and to resolve issues that bury any chance for happiness. At least, this is my impressi
Jack Mierl
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic novel. Ravikant shines best when the narrator intimately takes to and exposes himself emotionally to a wonderful cast of characters that he meets on the Camino. It's a quick read, page turner. However, I found myself returning to sections of the novel to reread conversations and little moments of self realization that the narrator has with himself.

Excellent novel for anyone who is looking to go on a journey, either external or within themselves, and to come out a new person.
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read with some lovely reminders about life, love and spirit sprinkled throughout. I felt like I was walking along with the main character on his journey. It definitely renewed my desire to reconnect with nature and undertake a big trek some day.
Joyce
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a must read. I actually read the book in one day. A tale where you can put yourself in the shoes of another and see we all take a journey.....its our choices that matter!!
Juan Duarte
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A little new-ageish for me, but quite a good read. The writing and story telling are put together very well.
Susan Lanigan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Really enjoyed listening to this...listened while walking so felt I was travelling with the author on the Camino and getting to know the characters. Feel a bit bereft now I've finished!

My first audible, hopefully there will be more. Generally I lack the patience but this one was different.
Bill Yeadon
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
As I plan to spend a few weeks on the Camino de Santiago next year I have started reading various books of the pilgrims. Kamal's book is based in fact on his wandering period after the death of his estranged father. By accident, he hears about the Camino and decides he needs to walk the 800 KM path.

I enjoyed the book but because his characters are fictional (though they may be based on fellow travelers) I couldn't really feel these were real people and real adventures.

The current book I am liste
Dave Grone
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story here, even if it was a bit unbelievable. That said, this book is less about plot feasibility, & more about the message. And the message is truly inspirational. Highly recommended & an easy read. ...more
Alissa Nance
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
To be honest, this book was a disappointment. It felt like the author was constantly striving to create deep, meaningful scenes, but he rarely achieved this goal.

It was a quick read and perhaps that's one reason why I found it to difficult to truly sympathize with the main character. For many of the characters, their sole purpose in the text was to make the main character reconsider his life and question the meaning of everything. All in all, it felt too heavy handed.

The author also just drops
Vickie Allen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A warm intimate story woven with profound truths.
Doug Gann
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I now consider this at the top of my all-time favorite books. The deeper I got into this book the better it got, I didn't want it to end.
João
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinda made me want to do el Camino again...
Helen White
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most of this book's significance, for me, came down to its timing and the synchronicity of going this deep into the pilgrimmage route the leads to Santiago de Compostela (the Camino de Santiago or Way of St James) at this particular time in my broader explorations. In fact, around the time of reading it, I came across this route seemingly everywhere I turned...three films about it presented on Amazon and I discovered an extenstion of it crossed with where I was travelling to (the Tyrol and parti ...more
Potluck Mittal
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebirth is a poignant, gentle tale of transformation.

I'm a bit biased since I've walked (200 miles of) the Camino de Santiago, but I really enjoyed the way we learned about Amit and Amit learned about himself -- and about love -- over the course of the physical, 500-mile journey.

Amit goes from being closed-off and shell-shocked from the emotions that poured out after his Dad passed away, to being vulnerable, loving, forgiving, and free. It was a bit cheesy, but I loved the way Ravikant repeated
stella Lee
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Preparation toward el Camino de Santiago has started… reading books, listening testimonies and watching related movie… Time is set for early summer 2020, and it will be my graduation gift to HL; of course she has a choice to accept my gift or reject.. it is up to her. Yet the more I contemplate it probably would be the best gift for not only her, but for us ….. Praying and planning….anticipating….
“The secret to flight: don’t flap your wings so hard. It only exhaust you. Close your eyes and lean
Beth Jusino
This is Paulo Coelho's The Pilgrimage for a new generation. That's not a bad thing--like Coehlo's book, Rebirth seeks to bring layers of wisdom and perspective to a reader's life. That both books do so against the backdrop of the Camino Frances, the most famous and popular section of the ancient Camino de Santiago pilgrimage trails, is an added benefit.

But while Coehlo wrapped his wisdom in unexpected and mystical encounters, Rebirth sacrifices its story and plot in order to get to the self-hel
Henrik Akselsen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
The premise is great and the book started out strong, but kept getting weaker. The beta nature of the main character almost made me unable to finish it.

The prose is flat, filled with clichés and platitudes. The main characters sense of humor is also so bad that most of the attempts at lighthearted humor should have been taken out.

The worst part is the unfortunate cast change near the middle of the book, when the main character gets a new companion. The new character is boring, repetitive and a
Olivia
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Rebirth” is an interesting journey of self-discovery, as Amit travels across Spain. Amit has had a pretty tough go of things, leaving him unsettled and conflicted. As he travels, he comes to terms with a lot of the events of his life and finds his own peace. It’s a calming story overall and flows really nicely- just like you were listening to Amit tell you his story across a campfire. Told in the first person, we feel we really get to know Amit as the book continues, and he echoes many of our o ...more
Lee Flannery
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice enough messages here, although I'm not sure I would have really gotten them all if I hadn't already been familiar with the concepts self-compassion and self-forgiveness.

Maybe it's just not for me right now. The characters were a little thin, and their actions a little convenient. I felt like The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future were guiding me through Spain, and they'd for some reason developed a nasty habit of getting wine-drunk every night.

It's not bad. It's short enough, if
Aimee
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a MUST READ!!!

I read the author's other book, which lead to this. I seriously couldn't put it down until I read every word.

The descriptions of his journey - sights, sounds, tastes, smells and touch...I felt as though I were there. The emotional turmoil was raw and real; not just his, but with each person that crossed his path. No matter how much you know (or think you know), nothing beats genuine wisdom and this book is FULL of it.

I will definitely be reading this again and again. The
Reading Fool
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2017
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

While this is a work of fiction, it is based on the author's own experience as he trekked the Camino de Santiago in Spain. The protagonist, Amit, is mourning the death of his estranged father from cancer. He and his alcoholic father did not have a relationship and Amit is ridden with guilt. He takes the opportunity to go on the pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago, thinking that he will walk for only seven days and then go home. What en
Margaret1358 Joyce
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A 1st-person narrative framed by yellow arrows, nightly 'refugios', and encounters with strangers on the centuries-old, 550-mile pilgrimage route of the Camino de Santiago de Compostelo, this is a soulful read. The writer/narrator, a self-described 'accidental pilgrim' gives a bone deep account of his physical,mental, spiritual and emotional highs and lows subsequent to the recent death of his estranged father, as he pushes himself to tramp through rain, mud and forest, under the sometimes seari ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: missing book covers 2 11 Jul 13, 2017 11:56AM

• Journeys North: The Pacific Crest Trail
  • The Pilgrimage
  • Dave the Villager 3: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • The Legend of Dave the Villager 1: An Unofficial Minecraft Story
  • Dave the Villager 4: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 6: An Unofficial Minecraft Adventure (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 8: An Unofficial Minecraft Novel (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 7: An Official Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Humongous Zits (Zits Treasury, #1)
  • Dave the Villager 10: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 13: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 12: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 15: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 14: An Unofficial Minecraft Novel (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Dave the Villager 20: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 21: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 24: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
I've been fortunate enough to have some amazing experiences in my life so far. I've trekked to one of the highest base camps in the Himalayas, meditated with Tibetan monks in the Dalai Lama's monastery, earned my US Army Infantry patch, walked 550 miles across Spain, lived in Paris, been the only non-black, non-woman member of the Black Women's writers' group, written a novel, held the hands of dy ...more

News & Interviews

“How do you find peace?" I ask.
"I say 'yes,'" he says.
"To all that happens, I say 'yes.”
1 likes
“The Secret to Flight

Don't flap your wings so hard. It only exhausts you.

Close your eyes. Lean into the currents, say yes. Let the wind raise you higher and higher. So easy. That's what Eagles do.

Oh, this is the secret to life as well.”
1 likes