Start by marking “Posted To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Posted To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #1)

Posted To Death

(Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery #1)

Edgar nominee and Agatha Award-winner Dean James offers his own delightful take on a classic British cozy mystery...starring an attractive, sophisticated man who just happens to be a vampire!

England has found itself a new sleuth to call its own, but Simon Kirby-Jones is not only a vampire, he's an American to boot. He's pulled up stakes in the States to settle in the quain
Published March 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Posted To Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Posted To Death

Lois Bujold
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers looking for quirky fluff
Recommended to Lois by: internet review somewhere
Persons in the mood for absurd fluff might add another star -- I was and I almost did, but I wouldn't want to mislead. We are not looking at Dorothy-Sayers depths of characterization, setting, or theme, here.

And also its three sequels, because I was in the mood for fluff, to wit, Faked to Death, Decorated to Death, and Baked to Death, in that order. Readers following the romance-of-sorts will want to take them chronologically.

I swear this book/series must have started with either a dare or a bet
Ije the Devourer of Books
'The vicar doesn't know I am a vampire. Nor does he know I am gay.'

What's not to love about that opening sentence? I just knew it was going to be a hilarious story and I was right!!

Someone has murdered the village busy body and Dr Simon Kirby-Jones is on the case!! And using all his detecting abilities to solve the crime. Alas he developed his detecting abilities through writing murder mysteries but he doesn't let his lack of investigative skills deter him.

And so he seeks to find out who dunnit
Ami
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Chris
As a cozy mystery, this one is pretty neat ... and very British *lol*. I mean, the names like Prunella Blitherington, Neville and Letty Butler-Melville, Snupperton Mumsley ... can't get any more British-tone than that!!

The whole 'secrets' within the English small town reminds me of one of Agatha Christie's novels, Murder at the Vicarage, that I read LONG time ago when I was probably still in my late Elementary / early Junior High School. It is intriguing :). The writing feels a bit too formal a
Meep
Nov 28, 2015 marked it as dnf
I may return but right now I'm not interested in finishing. I love cosy-mysteries add some quirky humour and the opening lines attracted me moth to lamp.

Unfortunately the characters aren't likeable. The appeal of these stories is often the cast, likeable in their eccentricities, odious in ways that promise comeuppance. Here there was a pettiness that overrode charm.

Not entirely sure why Vampires in this setting, all it adds is a connection with one inhabitant that could have been engineered in a
Ike Rose
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series of four very funny mysteries.

The nain character is sort if a male Miss Marple. He lives in a small cottage in a small English village with a weird name, and every time he turns around, he finds a dead body - and solves the mystery.

That's where the similarity ends. Simon Kerby-Jones is male, he's a well known historian and he's gay. He's also got a few secrets. One is that he writes novels under two female names.

The other is that he is a 'new vampire'.

They have these little wh
Lainy
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Posted to death is, in this case a book being posted to death :D. It is making its way around some of my friends on Risi and started out in the USA. So far it has travelled 6230 miles (unpon getting to me) and will be heading to England I believe next.

It is a fabulous non challenging wee read and for me I was sold with "it has a gay vampire in it", I do love vampire books and this is a first for me. Simon Kirby-Jones is our star and author himself, he moves to a wee village in England. Filled wi
Ellen
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Posted To Death: A Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries)
by Dean James
Edition: Hardcover

A Fun New Series for Me, August 10, 2011

This review is from: Posted To Death: A Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries) (Hardcover)
I started reading this series thinking that I would be putting it down and returning it to the library before I could finish the first chapter. So far the other few books written about vampires have been beyond a bore to me so this book woul
Roberta
Update: Who am I kidding? I'm never going to finish this book.

A gay-vampire-cozy-mystery sounded better than it's turning out to be. Most of the gimmicky named villagers of the gimmicky named village of Snupperton Mumsley (aka suspects) are generally petty and pompous rather than interesting and eccentric. And we don't care much for the mean-spirited victim either.

Since amateur detective Simon Kirby-Jones is taking vampire-control pills, his undead state is pretty much irrelevant to the plot.
Earl
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
Posted to Death. Faked to Death. Decorated to Death. Baked to Death. Books by Dean James. I wanted a light mystery series and found this series of 4 books featuring a gay vampire detective- Simon Kirby Jones. "Gay vampire" was the ploy used to differentiate itself from other cozy mysteries but the character was taking anti-vampire pills which defeated the whole purpose. Also, there seemed to be an unbelievably high number of gay characters in each book. Certain characters, dialogue and situation ...more
Trish
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Oh dear. Way too many stereotypes of English village life - so much so, it's almost a parody. This suffers from the common problem of an American writer writing about Britain (for example, confusing Oxford and Cambridge), and also it could have done with better editing. Plus te gay PoV character is pretty stereotyped, too - seriously over-camped that it made me cringe - and why the author made him a vampire, but then gave him pills so he didn't do anything vampiric, I really don't know. Don't th ...more
Aussie54
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was disappointing. The concept sounded good - I love British mysteries, especially ones set in the countryside. However, the writing let this down. There were too many cases of names being used in dialogue, which I find jarring, i.e. the characters referring to each other by name throughout their conversations.

I didn't feel a connection to the main character, either. The plot was interesting enough to keep me reading, but the ending felt a little flat.
Karen
Jul 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gay vampire mystery novel. Sounds like a "what's not to love?" right? Wrong. This was a big dud.

This is a good place to say, too, that I'm really tired of authors who write about vampires, but write characters who are almost unrecognizable as vampires. It's like they want to jump on the vampire bandwagon, but don't want to be inconvenienced by the conventions.
Sen
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
My review probably won't carry much weight, as I couldn't finish the book. The story was humorous and I liked the mystery, but ultimately I didn't really care about the characters or what happened. I can't entirely explain why, but I didn't care for this book.

That being said, for those who do enjoy humorous, silly-at-times mysteries, you'll probably like this one.
Lillian Francis
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Amusing, 'cozy' mystery story. Kept me up into the wee small hours to finish it.

Now need to track down the rest of the series.
Ingie
Jan 06, 2016 marked it as to-read-yes-own  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Ije the Devourer of Books
Cozy mystery with gay vampire — Ije liked it, just $.99 worth to try.
Amy Aelleah
A modern day Miss Marple. If Miss Marple were male, gay and a vampire. And a writer. So, in other words, not a thing like Miss M. Except for the setting - good old-fashioned English village where murder occurs. Anyway, the story was quirky and fun with a killer that I didn't figure out until around 2/3 through the book. (At least it wasn't like that one 'mystery' that I knew who the killer was before the murder had even happened. ... Don't ask.) Simon is likable enough, if a bit of a dunderhead ...more
Scoats
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Within the first few lines, we learn the narrator is gay, a vampire, and has the hots for the local vicar. I have no issues with gay characters, vampires, or gay vampires. The Anne Rice books were great reads.

I gave up on the first page. I was already bored. Dean A James is no Anne Rice.

That said, I'm sure many folks will enjoy this greatly.
Linda Fast
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Posted to Death is a story of an American gay vampire who moves into a small village in Snupperton Mumsley England. The post mistress has been murdered and the story revolves around the "who dunnit" atmosphere. This was a quick easy read although not overly exciting but at times interesting.
Betsy
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this ages ago. Luckily for me, googling "cozy mystery gay vampire" turns it right up. It was still amusing this time around. Some of the attitudes on sexuality and gender don't stand up as time has passed, though. I'm going to try another.
janetandjohn
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just really good fun. Lovely subject matter, lovely hero, just fun.
Jenndian
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This mystery was funny, quirky and had lots of twists and turns! Looking forward to reading the next one!
Jane
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-myst
I like this better than The Cat in the Stacks series - wittier, more sophisticated writing.
Melanie
Jan 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea. Didn't find it captivating at all...
Norma
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

I had a blast reading this book. It's a series I can get into and definitely will do so very soon.
Camilla Harry
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
different, but good series
Ruthie Jones
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Posted To Death is a fun, cozy mystery that keeps you guessing almost to the end. It's definitely different to have the hero as a gay vampire (although the vampire aspect isn't the main focus here, so don't think, "Oh no! Not another vampire story!").

Simon, the gay American vampire, writes biographies under his own name and writes steamy, gossipy fiction under a pseudonym. He has moved to a small English community that is inordinately LGBT (and yes, the story does have a transgender/transexual c
Inara
Sep 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people of love vampire mysteries
Simon Kirby-Jones an American writer has just moved from the States to the small English village Snupperton Mumsley. Here he hopes to find a peaceful life to write more of his famous historical books and romantic novels. Soon after his arrival he is invited by the vicar to join a committee to raise money for the restoration of the church fabric. Wanting to blend in he accepts the offer and at one of the meetings with the SMADS (Snupperton Mumsley Amateur Dramatic Society) is decided to perform a ...more
Inanna Arthen
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this whole series of "cozies" by Dean James to be highly entertaining. I can't remember how I first discovered this one, the first in the series, but I couldn't wait until each of the next three were released. Of course they're a bit on the silly side, but that's the whole fun of the cozy mystery genre. The set-up and cast of characters reminded me very much of Anne Fraser's fiction, but a bit more light-hearted. They're also very reminiscent of Midsomer Murders, a series to which I am u ...more
Glenda
Feb 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
decided not to read,
Allaina
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon is a gay vampire novelist who happens to stumble upon a mystery. Simon is an extremely likable fellow that carries us through the light and fluffy mystery.

Pros: It doesn't hurt, physically speaking. It's been a long time since I was able to pluck a random book off the shelf and not receive a headache in return, Posted to Death is a nice change of pace. In addition, the mystery isn't predictable, another nice relief from modern lore. The writing is quipy and strong while maintaining a light
  • Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4)
  • A Time For Secrets (Boystown #4)
  • The Man Everybody Was Afraid Of (Dave Brandstetter, #4)
  • Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • One Man's Treasure (Bellingham Mysteries, #4)
  • The Blue Rose (English Garden Mystery #1)
  • His Name Is John (Elliott Smith #1)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Goldenboy (Henry Rios Mystery, #2)

Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery (4 books)
  • Faked To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Decorated To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery #3)
  • Baked To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #4)