Start by marking “In Black & White” as Want to Read:

In Black & White

Micah Winters always knew that she was different. It was the pigment of her skin and the texture of her hair that revealed that she was a woman from biracial parents. For five decades, Micah’s African American mother has remained silent about Micah’s estranged father (Sidney Irving). It is not until after Sidney Irving’s death that Micah learns that she is the daughter of ...more
Published 2016

To ask other readers questions about In Black & White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Black & White

Start your review of In Black & White
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book follows Micah who is trying to figure out who she is based on the past and her father. Micah did not know her father and wants to know more about him.

The author did a great job keeping with the realness of the time period in which parts of the story is told. The major issue of race is well displayed in this book and the author takes her time to really showcase it. The author kept the book engaging and I couldn't put it down.

Micah has recently opened her own bakery that she
Katie B
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Micah Winters never knew anything about her biological father other than due to the pigment of her skin, he had to be white. Her African American mother, Loretta, would never talk about him. With Loretta now suffering from Alzheimers, Micah has come to accept that she will never truly understand her mother and father's past. Micah receives the shock of a lifetime when she finds out not only has her father passed away but was a famous writer and left his estate to her in his will. With the help o ...more
Jessica Mitchell
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If this little story don't bring a couple tears to your eyes I don't know what will.
A estranged wife to be, a rich privileged man, a daughter who grew up without but known she was loved by what she had.
Micah Winters knew she was different from other children around her. It wasn't just the hair on her head, but the color of her skin. Being called names throughout her childhood never helped the burden she carried. She always wanted to know about her father. But her mother refused to talk ab
A. Powers
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Micah was raised by her African-American mother and step-father, but the color of her skin makes it obvious that she was the product of an interracial relationship. Now, at fifty years of age, after living her whole life knowing nothing about her biological father, Micah suddenly finds herself the heir to his estate that he built for himself as a famous author. Then Micah has much more to discover about her parents and the secret romance she never knew about.

I love how the romance of this book
Sky
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Catherine Lavender’s novel In Black and White is a beautifully rendered story about a woman named Micah Winters, who one day out of the blue learns that her father is a great writer who has just passed away. She had always known that she was different, that her skin tone was not as dark as her mother, siblings and friends. When she learns that her father was white and a famous (and rich) man, she begins a journey of discovery – a journey into her own past.

I must say, I loved Lavender
Cloe Michaels Reads
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW: IN BLACK AND WHITE BY CATHERINE LAVENDER.
What can I say about this story……..
AMAZING BOOK SHOULD BE A BEST SELLER
The author has a creative way of bringing her messages across in this fiction. There is true love that even through separation not caused by themselves but by the bigotry and ignorance of those around them their love continues even in death.
This book addresses a few issues that those of America faced over time, especially in the 60’s when a white ma
Elisha
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Micah finds herself in a strange spot. Knowing her is a product of an interracial relationship even though she was raised by her black parents and never knowing her biological father...it comes as a shock that she inherits his estate. On top of this, her mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer. The story here is uniquely different in the sense that it not only tells Micah's story to her birth, but shares the romance of her mother that led to Micah. The characterizations are well written and cap ...more
Jessica
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is engaging, gripping and gut wrenching at the same time. I am married to an African American man and we have three beautiful children together. I tore through this book and the history it represents gripping each page in the hope of finding a better past than the one provided. The past is the past you might say, but read this book again, and then tell me you do not see the echoes of our past going on right now. Interracial marriage is still taboo for many white folk in 2017 as it was ...more
Brianna Remus
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very touching and emotion evoking. Through the story of Micah learning about her biological father and the overwhelming gift he left her, Lavendar reminds us about the complexities of human relationships and how so many factors play into their success or failure. This book struck home as my own grandfather abandoned my mother and did not reach out to her until later in life. That kind of gesture can be both wonderful and devastating and I think that Micah's experience consisted of ...more
Griselda  Alvarez
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, reviewbk
I got an e-copy of this book thanks to the author, publisher through Chiclit, in return for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. A love story that due to societal issues couldn't blossom. The story begins with a child who is biracial and doesn't feel she fits in anywhere. A child not knowing who her biological father was. Then it moves several years forward where she is a 50 year old women. An independent, successful business owner. She is sought out by her biological father's attor
Ever Leigh
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
The story really grabs the readers attention from the get-go. Catherine Lavender does a great job being descriptive and allowing the reader to feel like they are immersed in the world and time.

I was surprised at how fresh and how many surprises there were in this story. What a wonderful job of keeping the reader invested in the series and its characters!

Characterization is key in any novel and I felt like Micah was a great main character with real problems that the reader can relate to. She w
Samantha March
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really quite emotional, and easy to be drawn to. Micah only learns about her biological father after his death, and begins to understand piece by piece why her biracial parents were never together during a very different time in the country. It was really quite heart-breaking to learn of their story and why they had to live apart, and how much Sidney loved his daughter from afar. The writing was really good in the story but the editing could have been given a boost, and sometimes t ...more
R.K. Emery
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, contemporary
This is a love story in which the characters definitely go through their ups and downs. The highs are high and the lows are low. It is a story that comes off the page and translates to real life, the situations are believable and the emotions the author creates are valid.

I loved the addition of the Mystery, I think it really helped to balance the novel and give it an extra layer.

The romance is just that, romantic. It't not hott and sexy, its sweet and pure. I enjoyed that break from the typica
Maggie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I strongly suggest this book for anyone that is looking for something a little different from the typical hot steamy romance (that is not this book). But if you want something that touches on the tragedy of the cultural times that I am sure is still faced by so many around the world today then this is your book. It has just about everything you could possibly want in a book. Its light, entertaining but also sucks you right in from the very beginning and you don’t want to put it down.

Isis Ray-sisco
In Black & White by Catherine Lavender is a great read. I enjoyed it. It was easy for me to identify with. It reminded me of how far we have come and how far we have yet to go when it comes to issues of race in our day and age. I thought the romance between Micah's parents was sweet. I liked how they fell in love despite what the norm was in their day...I didn't like the outcome of their doomed relationship. There are some despicable characters that you love to hate and then there were some ...more
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
I received a copy from the author for review through a RABT blog tour.

Micah always knew she was different. She was raised by her African-American mother and step-father. Having never known her biological father, the only thing the knew what that he was white.

I really enjoyed how this story was set up. Not often do I see bi-racial families, and especially where the women are African-American. While the ending felt a little weak, I enjoyed the story overall. I liked the characters, an
Jaime Kurp
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By Catherine Lavender
Reviewed by Jaime Kurp

Micah had just learned who her father was after 50 years of wondering. Now her world has been turned upside down. She has an estate that she is not sure what to do with it. She owns her bakery that is now having trouble with the building that she rents. Can she sell the estate and make her bakery grow or keep it? She is angry that after all these years her father wouldn’t want to meet her. She wanted answers, but w
Cami Hensley
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed the characters immensely. I felt like the Romance was well balanced because of their respective personalities.

I liked that Catherine Lavender does not shy away from real topics. She takes the issues head on and brings them to life for the reader.

This is an emotional novel. There are ups and downs for these characters individually and as a couple. You will find yourself right in the rollercoaster of emotions with them.
Kathryn
I had such good hopes for this story. Unfortunately the author goes back and forth in 1st and 3rd voices so many times it threw me out of the story I lost count of how much. The premise is good, and the overall story and what it was about was good. It read more like a "screenplay". Again, it is a good story, I just can't give 4 or 5 stars to something with a lack of editing and just plain proofreading.
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
I really enjoyed this story especially the ending. I didn't like where I felt the tense that the book was written in changed on me a couple of times, and some mistakes that I had found. I read an early copy of this book though so they might have been fixed. I liked watching Micah deal with her problems and how they came about and how they all played out and/or how she fixed them.
Thanks to Chick Lit Plus for the copy to read. I reviewed this book with no compensation.
Carmen
The characters in this novel are pretty fleshed out; Brent Jacobs appears to have quite a bit of charm to him, Micah Winters seemed to have slight abandonment issues; whereas I most certainly didn't like Sidney Irving's sister, Gloria. If you like an easygoing book, you'll enjoy this one. I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
C. Gonzales
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, romance
This was an emotional read. The characters were all deep and multi-dimensional. The did not feel flat, but rather like 3D interpretations. Their actions and emotions leaped off the pages. I really felt a connection with them. These seemed like real college students going through actual real life problems.
Bella
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This started off as a compelling story but ended in a weak, somewhat unresolved and vaguely implausible way. Could have been a great story, but seems to have missed some critical editing and proofreading. Found it difficult to persevere past the half way mark as the grammatical inconsistencies really marred the narrative flow.
Kaila
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an emotional and interesting read. It hit on so many different feelings and things that have and are happening.. it was beautifully written and the characters were heartwrenching. very good story and im glad i got to review it
Rhonda
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Very engaging and thought provoking. Interesting characters. Good story flow. Very emotional ride for the characters. Hard to put down. Would recommend reading. I voluntarily review this book.
Pegboard
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Black & White is a very heartrending novel that touches the taboo of African Americans marrying Caucasians decades ago. It didn’t’ only affect the couple but their children were often recognized as being different, bullied, or just ignored.
Micah assumed that since her father was the white parent that he abandoned her and her mother. After her father’s death, Micah begins to learn the full extent of what took place with her parents. Was she just in her bitterness for being forgotten
D. Domain
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
"Like a broken string of pearls. All the pieces are there, but it still doesn't come together."

My Impressions: Love the sepia cover art. Evokes a nostalgic feeling even before I read the first page. The book itself is a mesh of women’s fiction and romance. Two very compatible genres. There’s a dash of mystery as well.

The Romance Angle: Nice try, but something’s missing. I like the idea of Micah and Nathan, but the reality fell a little flat. I mean, they are likable chara
Grady
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'Do you have anything to say to the people who planned to kill you?’

Florida author Catherine Lavender, originally form Baltimore, Maryland, offers her second novel IN BLACK & WHITE, her debut novel in 2013 was EIGHTY-EIGHT KEYS. Catherine is a humanist as well as a writer – she is an animal activist, supports First Book – an organization that supplies literature for underprivileged children, and commits time to exploring classical literature and music; she play the acoustic guitar.
Tony Parsons
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Micah (10, African-American, aka half-baked or Graham cracker) lived with Wade (step-father), Loretta (African-American, mom, aka Lisa), & Valerie (Micah’s younger sister).
Kids picked on her & called her names because of her different skin pigmentation.
Nathan “Nate” (retired Navy Seal, intelligence officer) worked at Havre de Grace Estate as a handyman & often visited with Sidney Michel Irving (84, novelist/screenwriter).

Kris Angles (Sidney’s estate attorney, Angles & Windsor
Val Robson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
The story is based on Micah Winters who already felt a little different growing up as her skin was not as dark as that of her African American mother, step-father and sister. Micah is now about fifty and running a successful bakery Crème in Baltimore when she is contacted by a lawyer. He’s tells Micah that her biological father has died and that Micah is a beneficiary in his will. Micah had no knowledge previously of her biological father so it stunned to discover that he was a famous novelist a ...more
Catherine Lavender is an author of Contemporary Fiction. Her first novel Eighty-Eight Keys was published in 2013 by Whimsical Publications, and in 2016 Catherine’s second novel In Black & White was published by Chamomile Books. Literary Critics continue to admire the published works of this emerging author.

"Such compelling writing and dialog forces readers onto a tumultuous emotion