Start by marking “Urban Shaman (Walker Papers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)

Urban Shaman (Walker Papers #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  12,761 Ratings  ·  718 Reviews
Joanne Walker has three days to learn to use her shamanic powers and save the world from the unleashed Wild Hunt.

No worries. No pressure. Never mind the lack of sleep, the perplexing new talent for healing from fatal wounds, or the cryptic, talking coyote who appears in her dreams.

And if all that's not bad enough, in the three years Joanne's been a cop, she's never seen a
Published December 31st 2005 by Luna Books (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Urban Shaman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Shaman

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Ms. Murphy managed to do something I didn't think could be accomplished. She wrote this incredible story that seamlessly intertwines Celtic and Native American folklore and mythology. Let me tell you this is a book you don't want to put down. It is so vivid it's like a movie, but I haven't seen a movie this cool. Hollywood doesn't like to take chances on women in high prolife action roles. And this is definitely a woman's story. Joanne Walker is running away from her dual heritage as a Cherokee ...more
Scott
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
In general I find that I like urban fantasy, so picking this book up was easy to do. Let's get quickly to the positives:

There wasn't a single anthropomorphic cat-person. A+++

The characters were well written, but often rendered a bit simplistically. I quickly gained a sense for who the characters were without feeling they were too one-dimensional. B

The friendly roster lists a cross-dressing police detective. A+

Now for the downers:

Murphy periodically seems to be someone who is operating just beyon
Seth
Dec 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommended to Seth by: Rachel
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
This is the book I've had more people telling me to read--all independently of one another--in years. It certainly seems like it would interest me.

The genre is a common one for Luna. Strong female protagonist, modern fantasy/slipstream with the supernatural element hidden from most people, and a hint of sexual tension or romance.

Our protag is Joanne Walker, an Irish/Cherokee crossbreed trying to go as mainstream American as she can. She's a Seattle cop by vocation and a mechanic by avocation, s
Cassandra
Feb 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
Eh. I'm only going with two stars because I actually made it through it. In the heat of the action complete confusion and chaos seemed to be all I got from it. The protagonist wasn't someone I would rally behind... she was too busy being sarcastic or dumb. Either way it wasn't endearing. Plus I always find it hard to get behind a lead who wears pants w/ elastic band and a fanny pack. Seriously?
D.G.
Finally! It's over!

I can't remember the last time I got so annoyed with a heroine. Oh yes...I can! It was a couple of days ago when I DNFed Heart of Stone, a book by this same author. It's clear that this author's ideas and mine don't match so this is the last book I'll read by her. (I finished this one because it fits two challenges I'm doing. Otherwise, I would have dnfed it too.)

The first thing that struck me about Urban Shaman was the similarities between Joanne and Mercy Thompson: both are
Happydog
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
If I were thinking critically, I could criticize this book - and this series of books - to pieces, but for me all the books in this series are raw crack. I bought this book initially just due to idling around the bookstore and read it in 72 hours flat. The subsequent books in the series have been consumed, by me, in an equally addict-like manner.

Joanne Walker, as a character, engaged me immediately. I liked her skepticism and crabbiness immediately, and the character has a good "voice." I liked
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
The bad points outweigh the good with this book.

The good:
The supporting characters -
- Gary the taxi driver and Jo’s sidekick. My only problem with him was his age, I was unsure as to whether he would really be fit enough to keep up with Jo without stroking out.
- Morrison the police captain and Jo’s boss. Their antagonistic relationship was well done as was the underlying sexual tension.

The bad:
- Although Jo never fully embraces her magic she seems to automatically know what to do and when to do
Allison
Urban Shaman is the first in an urban fantasy series that may not stack up too well against ‘the greats’ of UF, but is entertaining none-the-less. And the series is finished, which is a plus. One thing it is not is Paranormal Romance. There is the slightest inkling of the beginning of interest between two characters, but that’s it. So if you’re looking for a UF series sort of in the middling range of quality that is not exclusively romance, this could be for you. (Although I can't speak for the ...more
Regina
This book was not for me. I have had this series on my radar for maybe 3 years but kept delaying starting it. I wish I would have started it 3 years ago, perhaps I would have enjoyed it more.

It is really hard to write unique urban fantasy and I think this may be unfair of me to judge this story as it was written seven years ago when the genre was less saturated. I find that urban fantasy and paranormal books which catch my eye and pull me in are not a murder mystery with the same type of formul
Nikki  Peterson
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans
Recommended to Nikki by: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Jo is returning to work after spending the last 4 months getting to know her mother before she passes away. Her mother is Irish and her father Native American. On her return flight as she is landing, she is able somehow to see a woman running from a pack of wild dogs toward a church and a guy waiting in the parking lot, of said church, with a switchblade knife. Once the plane lands she finds a cab and tells Gary, the cab driver, to head in the direction of the church. Gary thinks she is nuts, bu ...more
Jude
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Though sharing a lot of similarities with the numerous other paranormal-detective kind of books I've been into the past few years, it had some noticeable differences to help it stand out a bit.

One of those: no vampires! Yet, at least. And not that I don't like vampires; I do, but it's not untrue that so many other books in this genre have, and often focus on, vampires.

Another is how easily people seemed to accept that something out of the ordinary was going on. It bot
Holly Booms Walsh
I loved the first half of this book. Great characters, some very funny lines, nice plot set up. Somewhere in the last half, the plot got all fuzzy, the main character's talents were inexplicably good enough to whip the bad guy and she suddenly knew how to use them, and the ending didn't even make sense. What a letdown! I'll read another book about this character should one come out but I hope the sophomore effort is better constructed. It would be a waste of a great character if this is all ther ...more
Danielle
May 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Infantile characterization, and a plot that fits it. The second half of the book felt 'wrapped up' - in perhaps 2 weeks of writing. The less-powerful and experienced heroine wins over the hugely powerful bad guy - for no discernible reason... Miraculous healing that even the author can't explain, etc.

Probably wouldn't read anything else by the author.
Shera (Book Whispers)
Urban Shaman is what I like to call an “original” in the Urban Fantasy genre. One of the series that was out before the big boom. The blend of Native American lore and Celtic mythology is still something that is rarely found in the genre even after all of these years. The true testament is that 8 years after I originally read Urban Shaman I still enjoy it, and find to to be a unique story and concept.

Sure it starts of rocky with the main character Jo flying high in the sky about to land from a
Lisa
A 3.5 really, if I’d read this book at any other time I probably wouldn’t have rated it quite so highly, but Urban Shaman gave me my reading mojo back (I inhaled it in a matter of hours at the start of a day off) and so it gets a thumbs up from me.

When police force mechanic Joanne Walker spots a damsel in distress from her aeroplane seat (yeah, I know, stay with me) she feels compelled to track her down and help. Enlisting the aid of an ageing cabbie on landing, she soon finds herself confrontin
Carolyn F.
Reread by audiobook. I also read the library paperback. This narrator, I'm thinking she might be the problem with this audiobook because I didn't enjoy it as much as when I read the book. There's a narrator change with book two, but I don't know if it's for the better.

Previous review on 06/02/10This is a 3.5 stars. The writing is okay. There's a LOT of similarities between her and Patricia Briggs' Mercedes books. A LOT. But this book was published before Patricia Briggs' so I'm not taking anyth
Tami (synchro from BL)
Hm, can't really make up my mind about this one. I liked the pacing, the banter and the whole setting. The plot with The Wild Hunt was nicely done.

But it didn't 100% grip me - not like my favourite UF series did.

I am probably going to give the second installment a try, because I did like Joannie Walker. She seemed like a quite likable character.

I felt that the magic stuff came a bit too convenient and too easy, but at least it made for quick world-building without info-dump. Also Joannie had
Kim
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: has-read
I'm not sure how I felt about this story. Possibly deja vu? It felt as if the author had taken the part's of Mercy Thompson & Jane Yellowrock and tried to make them her own with a twist. In some ways that worked, in others the story didn't compare to either.

This story dealt with a cop mechanic who is part Native American & part Irish who finds out she is a shaman and has Coyote the trickster God as a spirit guide. Anything seem familiar yet?

As it is unlike the other two series, this one
Carol.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Overall an enjoyable read. A reluctant mechanic in the police department is moved to help a woman she witnessed being attacked. She finds a cab driver to get her to the location and meets the woman, opening up a series of events that change her life. A reviewer characterized Joanne as a "reluctant heroine," and that captures the character mood well. She ends up involved in the supernatural, discovering shaman skills after a deadly meeting with the Wild Hunt. I enjoyed the introduction to her lif ...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
An interesting first book. I really like Joanne, Gary and Cernnunos. Plus, it had Coyote and I love Coyote. I think Morrison could grow on me. The book was heavy on descriptions, which I suppose was a good thing because Joanne's situation was a bit of a doozy. The magic went over my head a bit, though. A bit difficult to follow at times.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and will read the next one to see how it goes.
Lexxi Kitty
This is the first book that I’ve read by this author. It’s a book that (1) hadn’t been on my radar; (2) even so, it was one of the books picked to be read by me in Feb/March (it was the part of the picking wherein the picker picked something not on my pick’em shelf).

Being, as it was, a book that hadn’t been on my radar, I did something I do not always do when picking books. I examined reviews. Some of those reviews kind of put me off, they did. And some of that description on GoodReads both intr
Nancy O'Toole
Mar 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
After attending her mother's funeral, Joanne Walker hops on a plane to her home city, Seattle. As the plane is landing she notices something strange down below, a man with a knife, and a woman being followed by a pack of dogs. Once the plane touches down, Joanne rushes to the rescue with the help of an elderly cab driver, an act that tangles her life up in a world of dangerous gods, and and give her access to powerful shamanic magic she didn't know she had.

One of the things that drew me to Urban
Susana
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
For me, this was a pretty good start for this urban fantasy series.
I found the storyline engrossing, and the characters captivating. The beginning was fast paced. I liked the characterization of the main character: Joanne Walker. She's smart, intrepid, funny, and with a tendency to clumsiness.
There's a promise of a future romance that i'll just bet will keep things interesting.
In this one, the future "lovebirds" were on the bickering phase...so, it keept things interesting. :)
The writing was pr
Mary
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Urban Shaman is the first book in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series by C.E. Murphy. This was a used bookstore find and I would place it in the win column (with a few caveats.)

Joanne Walker is a mechanic for the police department. Flying home after her mother's death she sees a crime being committed from the airplane. Her search for the victim leads her to a whole lot of trouble.

Where do I start? The good - you can't help but like Joanne. She's sarcastic, smart, tough and six-feet tall. I'm
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Read up to pg. 246 which I think allows me to make a semi conclusive review.

Joanne had a few visitations by spirit beings. Her shaman abilities aided her in a couple of incidents. She should have started accepting, she is special. I can understand the first half of a book the character floundering about not knowing what's what, but after that they should be taking baby steps into become what ever is it they are destined.

For the most part the litany of her inner dialog was very boring and did n
Kyami
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
A brief description: CE Murphy's new book "Urban Shaman" tells the story of Joanne Walker, the daughter of a Native American and an Irish woman. Joanne is flying back from Ireland after her mother's funeral, and from the plane as it circles Seattle, spots a woman running away from an attacker. Joanne feels compelled to help the woman, and by doing so, becomes involved in an exciting and fast-paced adventure involving being chased by the Wild Hunt and ancient Celtic gods, and coming to terms with ...more
Mar 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Urban Shaman. C.E. Murphy. 2005. Luna. 344 pages.

Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy is a book I wish dearly that I could have gotten into because I'm well aware of how the Walker Papers has gained popularity over the years...

Sadly, I lost interest in the near beginning.

Initially, I fell in love with Urban Shaman when Murphy makes a wisecrack about the vulgarity of Austin Powers' teeth in the very first paragraph! I thought to myself how could I not appreciate Murphy's humor?!

However, when we meet Marie
Indiana
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
So so. This is Book One of the Walker Papers. It had a really catchy beginning...the main character is on an airplane flying into Seattle and she notices a woman being chased on the ground below. So after the airplane lands she gets into a taxi to go back to the area she flew over to see if the woman is okay. I'm always looking out the window when I'm on an airplane but I have no idea what I'd do if I saw a woman being attacked on the ground below! Probably call the police, not investigate it my ...more
mlady_rebecca
As I recall, I bought this book because it fit my normal likes and I thought the cover art was beautiful. Beware of relying on cover art, the pretty ones lie as much as the ugly ones.

It took me two tries to get through this book. I'm not sure how long ago it was that I abandoned it the first time, but I imagine it's been years. So the second time around, I'm afraid it only crept up to average/forgettable for me.

For one the lead was a Native American mechanic who has Coyote as a spirit animal. Th
Rosina
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is the first book I couldnt wait for it to be over. I have already put the book in my bag to be traded at the bookstore.
I was intrigued by the combination of Native American and Celtic magic. I was quite disappointed with how there wasnt more substance in the story. I kept turning pages and was wanting more. I would have liked more background on the magic of shamanism and on Celtic lore.

I would find myself zoning out as I was reading. Just couldnt get into the story. There were parts I re
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Winter Moon (Walker Papers, #1.5)
  • Wraith (Zoe Martinique, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Street Magic (Black London, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Garrison Report: Magic Hath An Element
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Rabbit Tricks (Walker Papers #3.5)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Forgotten but by a Few
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)

“In Ireland, you go to someone's house, and she asks you if you want a cup of tea. You say no, thank you, you're really just fine. She asks if you're sure. You say of course you're sure, really, you don't need a thing. Except they pronounce it ting. You don't need a ting. Well, she says then, I was going to get myself some anyway, so it would be no trouble. Ah, you say, well, if you were going to get yourself some, I wouldn't mind a spot of tea, at that, so long as it's no trouble and I can give you a hand in the kitchen. Then you go through the whole thing all over again until you both end up in the kitchen drinking tea and chatting.

In America, someone asks you if you want a cup of tea, you say no, and then you don't get any damned tea.

I liked the Irish way better.”
670 likes
“I'm not a goddamned faith healer! I don't talk to God! I'm a mechanic and her goddamned engine was broken!
--Joanne ”