Start by marking “The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury” as Want to Read:
The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury

(Calvin and Hobbes)

Calvin, the six-year-old dirty tricksmeister and master of indignation and his warm, cuddly philosopher sidekick and Hobbes, a tiger whose idea of adventure is to lie on his back by the fire and have his stomach rubbed. This unlikely due captured the hearts, the minds, and, most of all, the funny bones of America. The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes contains an original fu ...more
Published June 1st 1992 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes

Michael Finocchiaro
UPDATED! What can I possibly say? I love C&H. My kids love C&H. My daughter wants me to find her a Hobbes doll and REFUSES to accept Tigger as a substitute! Spaceman Spiff! Stupendous Man! Susie Derkins! Mom and Dad! Rosalyn! Miss Wormwood! A true classic and tickles your funny bones cover to cover!

Based on the comments below. I felt I needed to define the Holy Trinity of Intelligent Comics for Old Nincompoops (ICON) which for me would consist of Bill Watterson, the father and son, Berke
Bob Mayer
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It most definitely is Indispensable! The best cartoon of all time (Far Side a close second). Now that this in eBook I have it on my phone and can cheer myself up at any time.
Roy Lotz
I have an uncle who I’ll call Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob is an extremely tall man; he has a booming voice and commanding presence. When he’s in the room, it’s hard not to pay attention to Uncle Bob. And that’s good for him, because he likes the attention; he laughs and jokes constantly, and loves a good audience. In short, he’s a natural born salesman. So Uncle Bob naturally excelled when he got his first job out of college selling tractors. In fact, he was so good that now he trains everyone else. Hi ...more
C.
My favorite comic strip ever, now in book form! Hilarious 6 year old boy(Calvin) and his adventures with his stuffed toy tiger(Hobbs).
Arielle Walker
There is nothing to not love about Calvin and Hobbes.

Especially the snowmen.
Stephen
5.0 stars. Second only to Gary Larson's "The Far Side" as my favorite cartoon series of all time. Always clever, always funny and always leaves you in a better mood.
Alice
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just happened to pick this book up while visiting a friend, and, the next thing I knew, it was hours later. I read these when they were originally syndicated in my hometown newspaper, and I read Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" and The Revenge of the Baby-Sat. I could read these a million times and still want to read them again.

These are definitely written to be appreciated on several levels, which is what makes them so rereadable. I had one perspective on them when I was young, and another no
Rose
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laughs
Trying to choose a favorite Calvin and Hobbes book really is not entirely unlike trying to choose a favorite child. These books were a seminal part of my childhood; I've reread them so many times throughout childhood, the teen years, and adulthood that I'm not exaggerating when I say that if you start quoting one of the strips, I can almost guarantee that I'll be able to give you the punchline from memory.

"The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes" is a treasury made up of what may be my two favorite
Anne
The best thing about the Calvin and Hobbes books is that I grew up just looking at the pictures because I didn't read English, but found them so funny nevertheless. Then, when I learned English and was finally able to read them, they were even funnier because I could finally understand what the characters were saying. And as I grow a bit older and wiser, I still laugh whenever I crack one open, but for entirely different reasons. I love how there is something for every age in these books.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Because, come on. Who can say no to Calvin and Hobbes? I practically grew up on the duo, and my whole family loved him, me and my sibs and father would share these books. Fantastic art, and fantastic stories - both humorous and poignant, though I sure as hell am glad Calvin isn't my brother or kid.
Sookie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Always a pleasure, always relatable.
Eh?Eh!
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all people and their dogs&cats
Shelves: tandy, babble-added
wisdom from the mouths of precocious babes (yeah, I know, really from some dude), hilarious, *love* all C&H collections
Amanda
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Love this! Read it. Over and over again.
David
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the theme is to be yourself
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
by Bill Watterson, published in 1992.

Another fantastic collection of Watterson’s Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. There is just so much fun and mayhem to enjoy in this collection it’s hard to quantify how great it is.

This collection, “The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes”, is the collected cartoons of “The Revenge of the Baby-Sat” and “Scientific Progress goes “Boink”. Absolutely fantastic fun.

In this collection we get to see the first appearance of Stupendous Man, Defender of Freedom, Advocate of Lib
Philip
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, favorites
A Thousand, Million Goodreads stars.

I couple of years ago, I reread all of The Far Side Gallaries. (Or so I had thought... Apparently, I missed Gallery 5...)

But when it comes to my life, no comic/cartoon/Sunday Funny has been read by me more than Calvin and Hobbes. Indeed, Watterson may be the most influential writer in my life. I have more "goodreads quotes" in my goodreads quote section than any other author. And it's not even close.

I want to retell the story of being banned from reading, or t
Sherry
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of awesomeness. You'll never get fed up reading this book, even though you've read it ten times!
Gabe Matraia
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read many comics books in my reading career. In fact I think I have read none, so my opinion may not be valid. I had a great time reading The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes. Throughout reading each story you developed a love for the relation of Calvin and Hobbes and wished it was real. Even though the whole time Hobbes was just a stuffed animal, the author did an amazing job bringing the character of Hobbes to life. I definitely recommend this book as a comic if you have never read o ...more
Gillian Kevern
I loved Calvin and Hobbes and I'm almost certain I own this, but it is in storage and I haven't seen it in over a decade. I was surprised at how some comics stuck with me almost word for word, while some seemed entirely new. It's also really neat how spending so much time with my niece has added a new dimension to these comic strips. I really love how nuanced Watterson's work is!

Perfect antidote to a miserable head cold.
Jeannine
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fun read, How can you not love Calvin... brings me back to reading Charlie Brown books under the covers with a flashlight. Sometimes my reading just has to be fun!!
Lorre
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still enjoy Calvin and Hobbes no matter how many times I re-read it.
Valerie
This book is also porcupined with markers. I'm pretty sure I have both The Revenge of The Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes "Boink", but this book also has cartoons that don't appear in either.

Comic strips have been through several Golden Ages. Calvin & Hobbes was part of the twilight years of one of these.

I never have quite understood the contempt for comic strips on the part of some people. Many are, in fact, 'great literature', in every sense. They're not at ALL 'simplistic'. They de
James DiVasta
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Calvin and Hobbes, it's just one of those classics. You know? It's childish and serious all at once. There is no real plot since this is a collection and because every comic is a different part of Calvin and Hobbes' lives. The plot would I guess then be the adventures of a boy named Calvin and his stuffed Tiger Hobbes, but Calvin thinks Hobbes is real and they have real life conversations. Like I said before, it's childish yet serious at the same time. The comics are political or have rel ...more
Angie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
There is something mystical about childhood, something that makes it all but impossible for us adults to overcome it. Calvin and Hobbes captures the magic of childhood and helps us return to it. We are there to witness Cavlin's cardboard-box adventures, we experience his impatience while waiting for his propeller beanie to arrive, and we sympathize with his angst regarding bedtimes and homework.

There are some things about life that even adults don't understand though, things that as a child you
Allysha Moulton
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for about 4 years now and I had yet to read it. I decided to finally read this book because I had read so many higher level books for my independent reading; I needed a break. This book was as cute as I thought it was going to be. Calvin is very intelligent and so is his stuffed tiger Hobbes. The way he talks and the things he does are not what a normal grade school kid would do. Like any other kid he hates school and dreams big. I enjoyed reading this book very much. I woul ...more
Peter
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strangely enough, this is one of the most influential books of my life. Read it as a kid, and loved it. Reread it piecemeal several times over the years and loved it every time. I try not to read it with my kids though because it gives them dangerous ideas.

I love Watterson's artistic drive. As his strip became more popular he negotiated with his syndicate to get more control over the format. If I recall, he lost about half of his Sunday sales, but he gained the freedom to work outside the box. I
Josephine
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite comic characters of all time - Calvin, Hobbes, Susie Derkins, Calvin's parents, Roz the babysitter, Mrs Wormwood, Moe and other characters that appear in the comics. :)

I used to read them from cover to cover in a day. One thing, it's easy to read because they're just comics, so not many words. Second thing is that the jokes are simply hilarious and I wanted more. I love Calvin and Hobbes!
Teresa
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin & Hobbes classic childhood read, you laugh then at the innocent jokes but when you get older and look back on it, you reminiscene and laugh at childhood be it your own or just overall.

The relationship between Calvin and Hobbes is wonderful, the best bud until the end thing that we all need and deserve, reading the comics again it makes me smile..it's adorable.

I don't know what my childhood would have been without it.
Julie
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes! I found a whole shelf of these books in my basement, they belong to my father. i started reading this one and couldn't put it down. I love them :) They really show the magic that there is to childhood. Are kids the only ones who really are in touch with reality? Is hobbes real or a stuffed animal? Who knows, that's the magic to it all :D
  • FoxTrot Beyond a Doubt
  • Wiener Dog Art
  • Tales Too Ticklish to Tell: Bloom County
  • It's Obvious You Won't Survive by Your Wits Alone
  • Big Honkin' Zits (Zits Treasury, #2)
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling (Calvin and Hobbes #2)
  • Yukon Ho! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)
  • Weirdos from Another Planet! (Calvin and Hobbes #4)
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (Calvin and Hobbes #5)
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
  • The Days Are Just Packed
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (Calvin and Hobbes #9)
  • There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)
“As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth knowing anyway.” 1199 likes
“I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction.” 420 likes