Start by marking “The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs” as Want to Read:
The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs

The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs

The best jobs in Britain today are overwhelmingly done by the offspring of privileged parents. Meanwhile, it is increasingly difficult for bright but poor children to transcend their circumstances. This state of affairs should not only worry the poor. It hurts the middle classes too, who are increasingly locked out of the top professions by those from wealthy backgrounds.

H
Published May 19th 2016 by Biteback Publishing (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of Meritocracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of Meritocracy

Start your review of The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs
Thom Gething
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This felt like half a book - half an argument. I had not know before that the term 'meritocracy' was in itself created in a satire about the concept, only to embraced at face value by another generation without any sense of irony. It just goes to show how satire is often too close to the truth for its audience to spot the difference.

There are some good sections in the book on income inequality, the power of weak social ties and even how education continues to fail in one of its key roles, creati
Tim Green
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well referenced, well structured, comprehensive discussion. I found it very interesting and it certainly got me thinking about a few things I'd never considered before.
Joelcio Omond
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ótimo livro! Apesar de se referir à situação do Reino Unido, o tema tem uma abrangência global e tem estado cada vez mais presente nos discursos políticos também no Brasil. Isso pode ser visto na insatisfação com políticas sociais, bem como na marginalização daqueles por elas beneficiados, assim como na dificuldade/resistência em diminuir benefícios de grupos privilegiados. Pode ser vista correlação também entre a situação referida no livro e a fragmentação das lutas na esquerda também aqui no B ...more
Ron Pri
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book's importance stems from the pervading belief among most of us (almost all) that a meritocratic society is a just society, that people get what they deserve going in a straight line from hand of divine providence to the fruits of one's own labor. As described in the book even with the UK lagging behind other western nations in terms of growing inequity, polls show majority believing that people still get what they deserve.
A mythological belief in the valorizaton of one's own actions in
Matt Hunt
I have been looking for a book like this for some time and I'm very pleased to have found this one.
It's a critique of the philosophy of the meritocracy and it's implementation in the politics of the UK. Well written, concisely argued and easy to read. Perhaps a bit short? I could happily have read twice as much and would have appreciated some deeper theoretical considerations, and I would have liked a 'further reading' section. Excellent book nonetheless.
Well worth reading for anyone who has ev
Mollie Plummer
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
‘Only the meritocrats are seemingly incapable of recognising that human beings are- to some extent- products of their own history’
I really enjoyed this book and the way it takes the reader on a journey from the origin of ‘meritocracy’ to its position in modern politics. I particularly enjoyed the section on Thatcherism and New Labour and how the ideology of a meritocracy was almost central to their failings.
However, I have to agree with previous reviews about it almost being half an argument- it
Alys
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting book!! Really short, passionate and easy to read and I would seriously recommend it to anyone as an introduction to modern classism. A lot of it was surrounding stats and debates I've heard before (e.g. grammar schools) and it was a little irritating that he didn't discuss any solutions to these issues. Chapter 8, about identity politics and the modern "left wing" and how (despite all claims of "intersectionality") it excludes working class people, honestly blew me away. It w ...more
Lur Hall
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terminado este libro que se lee en una tarde. Avala con datos lo que ya sospechaba. Es revelador y está plagado de reflexiones que te hielan. "The American author John Steinbeck once observed that socialism never took off in the United States because the poor saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."
Liam Mayhew
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting short summary explaining the ineffectiveness of what politicians call 'meritocracy'.
Although the author is detailing his subjective views, which appear at times overtly one-sided and swaying towards socialist discourse; overall the book offers an insight into ideas concerning social equality.
Billy
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bloodworth does an excellent job in highlighting how far the UK is away from becoming a meritocracy and why it shouldn’t be our aim. An insightful read albeit the depressing realism of the situation.

‘A more egalitarian society would ensure that everyone could live well, whereas a meritocratic society would endlessly remind the drudged of their worthlessness’.
Steve Angelkov
Interesting collection of articles compiled into a concise book.

The myth of meritocracy details the political concept of social mobility, the supposed free market opportunity for all people.

The biggest spin of it all is making the working classes / general population 'believe' that a movement has a genuine benefit, when it fact it has the complete opposite effect.

Brexit anyone??
Ollie
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Great read, well researched with some very pertinent points, especially on class. Felt a bit short, more like a series of articles as the subject could most certainly fill volumes.
Millie Yule
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a good argument against meritocracy. It also explained how class inequalities in Britian are still present and how, despite thinking that we are, Britian is not a meritocracy
Indra P
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now I know how competition ought to be
Joseph Busa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, concise and to the point. Recommended reading for those who rally behind the #allaboutme movements.
Alex Monegro
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and to the point, and very well structured. If you want to explore a concise argument as to why a meritocracy is not a just society, read this book.
Amanda Coad
This book is a good look at the issues and reasons behind the system.
Alex Bond
May 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I DNF'd this book much later than I should have - some 89% complete.

The killing blow? When James claimed that being openly gay in parts of Britain today meant death - with nothing to support the claim.

A real chore to slog through, this book clearly bypassed the editor phase. Mind-numbing.

Further, a high school debating society holds more solid arguments than those contained within this waste of paper. The author starts making points but never arrives at any logical conclusion, on and on, repetit
Miranda
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Incredibly thought-provoking, this book really made me think about things slightly deeper than I had before. Should be widely read.
Taj

• Miseducation: Inequality, Education and the Working Classes
  • Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
  • Success and Luck: Good Fortune and the Myth of Meritocracy
  • The Right to Be Lazy
  • The Vanishing Thief (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #1)
  • Discourses and Selected Writings
  • Jagua Nana
  • Born To Fail: Social mobility: a working class view
  • Here, The World Entire
  • Palaces for the People: How Social Infrastructure Can Help Fight Inequality, Polarization, and the Decline of Civic Life
  • A Game of Chess and Other Stories
James Bloodworth is an English writer and the author of two books, The Myth of Meritocracy and Hired: Six Months Undercover in Low-Wage Britain. His work has appeared in the Guardian, the Times, New York Review of Books, New Statesman and elsewhere. He is on Twitter as @J_Bloodworth.