Start by marking “The Art of Living” as Want to Read:
The Art of Living

The Art of Living

Master the art of living from one of the world’s most revered spiritual leaders.

Thich Nhat Hanh, the world’s most renowned Zen master, turns his mindful attention to the most important subject of all – the art of living.

The bestselling author of The Miracle of Mindfulness presents, for the first time, seven transformative meditations that open up new perspectives on our
Published June 1st 2017 by Rider

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Living

Start your review of The Art of Living
Jim
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
According to Thich Nhat Hanh, the key to the art of living can be summarized in one word: Mindfulness. Or to use his words:
Happiness is not something that arrives in a package in the mail. Happiness does not fall out of the sky. Happiness is something we generate with mindfulness.
I am inclined to agree with him.

For over a year, I have been attending weekly guided meditations on Thursdays at the Los Angeles Central Library conducted by the Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC) at UCLA. I was
Leslie Reese
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
from page 70:
"When I was eighty years old, a journalist asked me if I ever planned to retire as a spiritual teacher. I smiled and explained that teaching is given not by talking alone but by the way we live our life. Our life is the teaching. Our life is the message. And so I explained that as long as I continue to practice mindful sitting, walking, eating, and interacting with my community and those around me, I will continue to teach. I told her that I had already started encouraging my senior
Diana
Book received from Edelweiss

Religious Diversity @emojiathon

I first heard of this author in my Eastern Religions class, while I'm not Buddhist some of the teachings of the religion really resonated with me. This book was sent to me by the publisher at an interesting time. At the end of the month we'll be coming up on the 1st anniversary of my niece's death and things are starting to get rough as we get closer to her birthday which was also this month. Reading through this book and remembering
Chris
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Living by Thich Nhat Hanh

Does Zen master, global spiritual leader, poet and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh need any further introduction?

For me it is the first of his books I have read and it wont be the last. I enjoyed his clear and simple way of writing and explaining. (Is that because he writes his insights after -walking- meditation and with a brush in short calligraphy phrases?) It helped me to understand the Buddha’s teachings and the basics of mindfulness a little better.

I
Kseniia Georgieva
„The number of days we have to live is not so important. What matters is how we live them.“

Beautiful book, extremely important in times of not appreciating our own life, pretending to live the life of someone else, of pleasing others. We are forgetting the true values of our life!

„As soon as we realize that in this very moment we already have enough, and we already are enough, true happiness becomes possible.“

The book contains simple steps that can bring your life back on track, everyone in the
Christine Quinn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Everyone should read this who wants to try to live a more mindful existence. Can not put into words the feeling this book has given me. I borrowed the book from the library but just purchased it as i feel it needs to be read many times in order to fully absorb the words to help incorporate into everyday life. Excellent.
Abbey
Nov 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: audio, dharma
"this is my life and i want to live it deeply."

i've been listening to this audio book while driving to and from work and it has been so useful as a way of reorienting myself to my body, go slower, and let go of obsession with outcome/result. thay's teachings are so helpful & kind and so very necessary in this current time.
Liza Nahas
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful, thought-provoking advice to help one advance on your spiritual journey through life. You'll need to own your copy because there is so much to highlight & underline! I've already referred back to my marked passages several times.
Bibi Larson
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome way to live our lives - being mindful!!
Bremer
Sep 29, 2019 added it
As your mind-body stills, you begin to see clearly. Instead of “you” watching the rain drop, there is only rain dropping. Rather than a separate you doing the action of “watching” the rain, there is the splash, splash, splash.

With mindfulness, everything comes together in harmony.

Breathing in, breathing out. Like a bow sliding across a violin in one slow hum, you are continuous, open to the sound.

You are not separate from the rest of life. You inter-are. You are relations. A flower cannot bloom
Smitha Murthy
My last non-fiction read of November was a book by a much-loved monk - the master of mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh. Having only read his collection of folk tales, it was my first introduction to the words of a man who is considered one of the foremost apostles of peace. ‘The Art Of Living’ is his latest book, and since I haven’t read any of his other books, I came back feeling slightly underwhelmed. ‘Be mindful’ he says. That’s about the entire gist of the book.

While useful, it’s not really
Anabel Olivo
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that everyone should read regardless of their religion.
Amanda Setasha Hall
A quick read, but so many positive messages between these pages.
I've been looking for a really good book on meditation and Buddhism for a while now, and this one was almost perfect, I just wish it was longer.
I'll definitely be applying daily meditation of some form into my life. I've done it for the couple days I read this book, and it really made a difference.
Cheryl
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will start with some lyrics from a favorite song, and try to connect them to the art of living. Greg Brown, Rexroth’s Daughter:

Coldest night of the winter working up my farewell
In the middle of everything under no particular spell
I am dreaming of the mountains where the children learn the stars
Clouds roll in from nebraska dark chords on a big guitar
My restlessness is long gone I would stand here like an old jack pine
But I'm looking for rexroth's daughter the friend of a friend of mine
I heard
Madhusree
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ethics
this book was something I needed but I didn't know how much. it offered a new paradigm for living. Life and death, suffering and pleasure cannot exist in isolation. His focus on breathing always needs reiteration in my opinion. I will read and annotate this book and add some more to this skeletal review.
Cyndi
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love me some Thich Nhat Hanh and his guidance, reality, straightforwardness! I love the simplicity! It is filled with great little stories about his life, about nothing, about beauty and the world around us so many are missing. I think (way to much) therefore I am (what are you exactly?) Another book I will leave laying around the house to pick up when I need to be reminded I am way to serious!
KC
This is a quick read about being and staying present. Embracing love, loss, and being mindful of what you have. I will be making some changes, breathe deeper, and become more aware of the now.
Catie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Buddha said, 'Where there is a sign, there is always deception.'"

"If we can be alive now, it is because we're dying at every moment."

"To practice aimlessness is to identify what it is you're looking for, waiting for, or running after, and let it go."

"Peace is a practice and not a hope."

"In the words of the first Zen teacher in Vietnam and China, Master Tang Hoi, 'Letting go is the action of heroes.'"
Magdelanye
In his sincere and straightforward way TNH elucidates a modern Buddhism that is curiously free of dogma, considering that this book is a presentation of Buddhist dogma.

TNH is fearless and humble. His understanding bridges the abyss between ignorance and familiarity.
His terminology expands our comprehension of some of the slippier of the essential Buddhist concepts such as no-self, God and nirvana.

This is a stream of devotion outside the box, giving it an new shape.
Gina
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really practical and relatable. I've always struggled to believe in a deity, but this philosophy frames "God" as a different idea entirely. God isn't "good"; it isn't a man in the sky. It's you and me and the trees and hurricanes and disease. It's everything and all of us. Beyond that revelation, I took comfort in the idea of people having multiple "bodies". When we die, we have a continuation body that consists of anything or anyone we influenced. I'm still struggling to understand the concept ...more
Suha Hallab
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite spiritual teacher Read this book for an escape from the fast paced routine, the surrounding sufferings we endure, the existential dread we live in.. this book’s teachings remind you of life’s simple pleasures reflected in mindfulness, the joy of being, the appreciation of aliveness and the acceptance of the “beyond evil”. ...more
Joanne
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the audio version so beautifully narrated by Eduardo Ballerini. I just ordered a copy for listening to again and again, it is that lovely.
Roberta
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book was soothing in tone and content. It was very much what you expect, like being afforded a place at the feet of a master to glean what you can from his teaching. It was both theoretical and practical, offering meditations and steps to enrich your spiritual life.
Jeff Johnston
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Recommended reading. So much insight!
Kevin
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of book I guess. Saw the 5 star rating and thought it would be good. It seemed that he repeated himself over and over again in the book.
Trevor
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Fascinating book. A must read for those interested in mindfulness.
Marianne  Haney
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!
Brittany Valdez
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The key to healing ...more
Deborah  Cleaves
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply thought and unique point of view of the world and our place in it and in the continuum of life. If you want to move to a quiet and contemplative place, this book provides a path to get there.
Clare
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This concise and elegant book captures the best bits of Thich Nhat Hanh I've seen on YouTube, but with so much extra depth, and wisdom and meaning. I loved the way it is organised around Seven Contemplations (they feel very fresh and new), and I'm already taking each contemplation as a new lens through which to see my life - and death. One reading is not enough. I feel there's a lot in here, and I'll keep coming back to it, again and again, to help shed new light on my practice and path.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Embracing the Unknown: Life Lessons from the Tibetan Book of the Dead
  • Clive Barker’s Hellraiser Vol. 3
  • Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
  • In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening
  • How to Stay Human in a F*cked-Up World: Mindfulness Practices for Real Life
  • Coming Closer to Ourselves: Making Everything the Path of Awakening
  • Stoics and Epicureans
  • The Three Questions: How to Discover and Master the Power Within You
  • Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality
  • Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
  • The Expanding Circle: Ethics and Sociobiology
  • Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection
  • When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
  • The Making of Alien
  • The Essential Dogen: Writings of the Great Zen Master
“Breathing in, I see all my ancestors in me: my mineral ancestors, plant ancestors, mammal ancestors, and human ancestors. My ancestors are always present, alive in every cell of my body, and I play a part in their immortality.” 8 likes
“I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old. I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health. I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death. All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. They are the ground upon which I stand. To” 6 likes