Start by marking “The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)

The Slippery Slope

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #10)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  93,396 ratings  ·  2,093 reviews

Dear Reader,

Like handshakes, house pets, or raw carrots, many things are preferable when not slippery. Unfortunately, in this miserable volume, I am afraid that Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire run into more than their fair share of slipperiness during their harrowing journey up--and down--a range of strange and distressing mountains.

In order to spare you any further

Published September 23rd 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Slippery Slope, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Maryam You could just get this book at your local library or at any bookstore. It should be there Karla.

Mark Lawrence
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm getting boring with 3* for the last 8 volumes in the series ... this one drifts close to 2*.

The book opens with a double whammy of the oft-mentioned bad science combined with the not infrequent impossible-to-visualise scene.

The Mortmain Mountains are bizarrely cube-shaped and have the expected vast vertical cliffs... one of which our heroes are hurtling toward in a loose caravan. This then begs the question ... how is there a slope for them to hurtle down? And the broader question about how
Lauren
UPDATE: 19/Jan/2017

Ignore everything I said before, I like this book more now that I've finished the entire series.

26/Dec/2016
This series is REALLY dragging out. I'm so close to finishing it and discovering what everything means! BTW me giving a bunch of these books 3 & 2 stars does not me I don't like them.
Kate (GirlReading)
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75* these kids really can't catch a break, can they?...
Elaina
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
I liked this one more than I thought I would!! Some of these books were starting to be a little redundant and it was getting kind of old :P But I liked this one a lot! We got to meet a certain new character and I was really happy about that person being introduced :D I can't say who because of spoilers lol It's hard to believe though that I only have three more books left in this series and then I am done!
Carlos Peguer
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Este ha estado súper guay y me encanta que por fin se estén empezando a descubrir COSAS. He muerto un poquito con la escena en la que se dan cuenta de que Sunny ya no es un bebé. Y ay, que después de tantos libros le tengo muchísimo cariño a los Baudelaire. Ya sólo tres libros más y se acabó. :(
Richard Denney
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one was funny and thrilling in parts though it did lag a bit for me and I don't know why. It took me a few days to get through this one. I'm glad we know who that scout really was and we've run into more mysteries. I'm interested to see how the last three books wrap all of this up.

Now starting The Grim Grotto! :)

- Richard
Ashley Daviau
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book did lag for me a bit at the beginning, once it got going it was fantastic! There's a lot of exciting reveals and discoveries that really makes this one of the more interesting books of the lot and starts to set up the end of the series. I think my favourite part though would have to be the immense growth we see in Sunny throughout the book. It's where she starts to really become a child rather than a baby. As per usual with this series, I really loved this book and can't wait to ...more
Swaye
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books, favorites
My new favourite in the series. 💙

10 down, only 3 more to go!
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audiobook. Narrator Tim Curry.

Yes, Tim Curry gets 100 stars!!! Woo-hoo! Hurray!!!

And....I love his "evil chuckle". Makes my "evil chuckle" come out and play. Lol

Mr. Curry's pronunciation of Count Olaf is a tad bit different than my pronunciation.

His: O'Laugh. Mine: Ol' Off. His seems to be more appropriate.

You can see how the author improved his stories. A Series of Unfortunate Events now seems more like a long continuous adventure. During the first four novels, it felt more like little "Un
Bruna Miranda
AGORA SIM!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaah
Marianne
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
The Slippery Slope is the tenth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, they find themselves separated: Sunny held captive in Count Olaf’s car while Violet and Klaus seem destined to perish in a runaway caravan down a steep hill.

Having narrowly escaped a burning hospital and already suffered the loss of their parents, the threat of marriage, slave labour, hypnosis, a terrible boarding s
Meghan
JANUARY 2017 RE-READ

It's so hard to choose a favourite Quagmire.

...Just kidding, no it's not. Quigley is the best, hands down.

This was also more incredible than I remembered! So much information on VFD. We get to see more of Count Olaf's undisguised (literally) nastiness. There's the unexpected return of Carmelita Spats. We get to see Sunny be a hero in her own right (there's the surprisingly powerful quote "I'm not a baby"). There's the somewhat redemption of the white-faced women. There's the
Kayla
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
The humour in this book is so dark and twisted and I LOVE it!
Deborah Markus
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Think how hard it is to write one really good book for *any* age group. Lemony Snicket wrote 13 terrific books in a row, and it's accurate to say they're splendid for all ages. (I know I'm getting ahead of myself, since this is only book 10. I've actually read them all already at least once before; but now I have all the recorded versions, so I'm treating myself to a mostly-Tim-Curry-narrated run-through.)

"The Slippery Slope" continues Snicket's ongoing philosophical exploration of, well, slippe
Marnie  Krüger
I don't know why, but this one has always been my favorite.
Chelsea
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Mini Review: These last few are just getting better and better! The stories are different, there's more suspense, and I'm just overall more interested. Really excited to be nearing the end!
Swankivy
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favoritebooks
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finished this 11 minutes after cramathon ended... what's the point.
I liked this one. I love that the pieces are falling together. I am so excited to finally see how this story ends. I hate that I have read 12/13 of these books.. I'm almost there..
Jessica Mae
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
100% going to put "The World is Quiet Here" on the wall of my future library. 📚💕
Constantin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story becomes better and better! I also love the fact that Sunny grows older book after book.
Kimberley doruyter
i kinda just want to skip to the last book.
that's not a good sign.
Marjorie Campbell
Aug 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-children
The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 10)
Lemony Snicket

I have been working my way through the Series of Unfortunate Events series for two reasons. The first is that I love to read and will read virtually any genre of book if I hear good things about it; and the second is that I am previewing books with a view to building a library for my daughter.

This series has had some peaks and valleys - with certain books in the series being stronger than others as stand-alone stories. I
Darren Hagan
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Is it getting boring me saying that I liked this installment :') This may be a bit spoiler-ish. Proceed with caution ;)

So the things I liked about this one are:

- Sunny's time to shine. She spends basically the entire book split up from her siblings after being kidnapped by Olaf. This really gives us a chance to see what she can do on her own, and how much she has grown up throughout the books

- The return of a character "from the dead", won't say who though. Also the return of a couple of other c
Katie
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
So many mysteries. I can't wait until I finally get to the end and know all the answers.
~Bellegirl91~
*** 1 1/2 stars.... EVEN MORE BORING despite Tim Curry reading it*

description

yeah it got "worse" and I'm sooooooo done! but now I've got 3 to go and can finish the series on netflix. so since Mr. Lemony Snicket is always saying to put these books down and say go read something else, I'm posting the sexy eye roll gif and found out it's an actor names Marlon Brando and dang was he good looking! so taking Lemony Snicket's advice and see or read something better, I'm also putting two great gifs of Marlon eatin
Alayne
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, favorites
WOW, WOW, WOW.
ESTE FUE EL MEJOR DE LA SERIE HASTA AHORA.
Creo que ningún libro de los anteriores tuvo tanto misterio ni me resultó tan adictivo como este.
Dio tantas respuestas a preguntas que nos veníamos haciendo desde los anteriores, pero abrió muchas otras.
La cantidad de información nueva que surge de todo esto, los secretos que son develados y los que quedan por descubrir... todo fue demasiado genial.
Las nuevas conexiones entre tantos hechos sospechosos, el nuevo personaje al que creían m
Nadine Bergeron
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."

The Slippery Slope finally brings us to the mysterious V.F.D. headquarters, but only leave us with more questions than answers. I'm starting to get the feeling that by the end of the series all my questions won't be answered. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get the answers soon!

Full series review: https://todaysechos.wordpress.com/201...
Julie
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
What do five stars mean anymore, I don't even know. But this one was so, so much better than the previous book -- now we're finally getting into lots more worldbuilding and exposition about what's going on, shit is even getting real with Lemony Snicket's side-narrative (!!!), Sunny is showing character development(!), the white-faced women defected (!!), and (view spoiler). So many amazing things are happening now!!

Hotel Denouement,
Asha
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
It's very easy to think that, in order to beat the bad guys, you must stoop to their level and fight fire with fire. However, that just causes everything to go up in flames and, as the Baudelaire's (and a special friend) showed us, there are ways to fight back that don't require you to take up the cloak of villainy.
falling asleep reading
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ah, the climax of the series. From Quigley, to the meaning of VFD, to the return of Carmelita Spats, this book was a ride. Sunny separated from her siblings was a very interesting narrative. Poor Sunny was taken hostage and forced to cook for the monster that is Count Olaf and his equally terrible theatre troupe. She was put into a very terrifying and difficult situation but she remained calm and logically thought about what she had to do and how to act in order to survive and see her siblings a ...more
Around the Year i...: The Slippery Slope, by Lemony Snicket 3 26 Dec 26, 2016 08:02AM
Goodreads Librari...: [Solved] Please correct page count 11 47 Sep 09, 2015 07:43AM
thinking about it 2 23 Mar 27, 2015 08:18PM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • The Edge Chronicles 2: The Winter Knights: Second Book of Quint
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Tales From the Hood (The Sisters Grimm, #6)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School, #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
“Well-read people are less likely to be evil.” 2400 likes
“A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled", describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used. The poet found that the road less traveled was peaceful but quite lonely, and he was probably a bit nervous as he went along, because if anything happened on the road less traveled, the other travelers would be on the road more frequently traveled and so couldn't hear him as he cried for help. Sure enough, that poet is dead.” 1507 likes