Start by marking “Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day” as Want to Read:
Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day

Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day

'An unbridled joy' Nigel Slater

WINNER OF THE OBSERVER FOOD MONTHLY'S BEST NEW COOKBOOK AWARD 2017
FROM THE FORTNUM & MASON COOKERY WRITER OF THE YEAR 2018

Meera Sodha reveals a whole new side of Indian food that is fresh, delicious and quick to make at home. These vegetable-based recipes offer up a treasure trove of flavours, making the perfect gift for both vegetarians and
Published July 7th 2016 by Fig Tree

To ask other readers questions about Fresh India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh India

Start your review of Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
Marina
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book bursts with recipes that celebrate vegetables and the author’s connections with India, Lincolnshire and Islington. Yesterday, I used one of the recipes to make the most delicious aubergine and pea curry , using only items that I already had in the house. How often does that happen….to be able to follow a recipe exactly without any prior planning? This is a keeper.
Aza
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good vegeterian recipes! Helps so much for thinking about meat and chicken free foods! Remarkable. I also like the back story to her recipes.
Antonella
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I bought it because I realised that my other book with Indian recipes was full of meat/fish dishes, which I don't eat (anymore).

The explanations are easy to follow and the recipes taste from wonderful to great. Today I finally tried Meera Sodha’s vegan recipe for aubergine fesenjan. «Finally» because it took me a while to organise the pomegranate molasses, I wanted it organic, so the easiest way was to make it on my own (from bottled juice though, I'm not suicidal ;-): it was
Olivia
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have attempted to recommend this to everyone I know but I'm not sure if anyone has taken me up on it, so here I am. If you like Indian food at all buy this book . Meera Sodha makes everything so simple and even when I'm missing some obscure ingredient the dishes still taste fab. There's a lot of variety and she recommends dishes to pair with others in the book. Though I could do without an aubergine/eggplant section (my least favorite vegetable), this cookbook is my Bible. Also, to ...more
Larissa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this cookbook because the upcoming half year I have to cook alone instead of with my boyfriend because he’s doing a full time internship and I’m chilling at home, writing my thesis, so I wanted some good new inspirations. What better way than a vegetarian, Indian cookbook! The recipes all sound so good and at the right level for me, the design is so pretty and the stories in between recipes are really nice.
Matt Hunt
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 6-stars
This is the best cookbook I've ever used. Recipes are all excellent, easy to follow and adapt to available ingredients. Has introduced me to loads of new ideas.

I *heart* Meera Sodha
Debbie
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how good this book is! Bee Wilson listed it as one of her four books she is currently using and it reminded me how much I love the recipes, so I’ve taken it off the shelf. It’s stained from all the times I’ve used it. The recipes are relatively straightforward. There’s the odd difficult to get ingredient,mid you don’t have an Asian grocer near you, but otherwise most ingredients will be to hand. This is authentic tasty food which you’ll cook again and again. Well worth the small investm ...more
Martha
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
can't wait to try some recipes from this collection
Niki
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of recipes look gorgeous and I'd happily eat them if someone else made them. Found the condiment and dessert chapters the most accessible. Will be trying the pineapple raita.
Jane Barber
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Cookbook. As good as Made in India. It is great to have more recipes!
LemontreeLime
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Can’t wait to try these, such great ideas!
Aja Marsh
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
really enjoyed the diversity of recipes in here and felt approachable. have already made a couple of things--yum!
Emma
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fresh India is a vegetarian-only recipe book, and I liked it more than her previous recipe book, Made in India. Meera Sodha shares her love for eggs with quite a romantic opening, citing an ancient Hindu text, "the cracking of an egg marked the start of the universe. The shell became the mountains, the white became the oceans and the yolk the sun."

Whoa. I'll never look at (the cracking of) eggs the same way again.

I also saved the recipe for Banana and Cardamom Buns, apparently a healthier take
Li Sian
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning - creative, thoughtful recipes bursting with flavour and freshness. I've already made a handful of recipes out of this book and plan to make more. Never has leafing through a cookbook filled me with such unbridled joy.
Megan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This cookbook has beautiful pictures and great stories. I feel like it really helps a beginner jump in and start to understand the glory of India cooking. I'm excited :)
Judy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cookbooks
Vegetarian recipes from the Author of Made in India. I love her clear and personal writing style, and her recipes are easy to follow.
Dr Parvathy
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.

Written in a fluent, easy to assimilate style. Essentially an Indian cookery book for us in the U.K., as the ingredients used feature in our daily lives. She has taken many traditional Indian recipes and put her own western twist to them. The food photography adds to the appeal of the book. Looking forward to trying many recipes that intrigue me. If they turn out well, I shall present the book to my children.
Philippa
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Absolutely stunning. The first cookbook to make me feel hungry again after having the worst flu of my life over Christmas (sob!). I made the temple tomato rasam as a gentle reintroduction to solid food and it was exquisite. The smell of the garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin and curry leaves frying together was so restorative I almost wept. Can’t wait to cook more from this wonderful book.
Akshatha Bhat
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am a mangalorean , made the plantain curry , as I was making it - I felt apprehensive , in all my years I have never come across such a dish ..I continued .. thought the end result will be great but the end result was horrible , I returned the book the next day and saved 35 dollars , bought the forks over knives cookbook and made Channa saag instead - it was finger licking good..
Adam Bradbury
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great cookbook with such a wide variety of traditional Indian dishes which you won’t find at your local takeaway.

Simple, easy to follow instructions with only simple utensils required for most. I’ve made a lot of these multiple times and they always turn out fantastic! Don’t get me wrong, there’s a few that I wasn’t a fan of, but that’s personal preference; not Meera’s fault!
Helen Langston
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great cookbook. I bought it based on a friend posting pictures of his results, they looked amazing, I made the chana saag today it was so good. Recipe was easy to follow. I can’t wait to try more.
Beka
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Though I didn't love this as much as her previous book, I'll still read any other cookbooks she comes out with. This one just used a lot of ingredients that I would not really be able to easily get my hands on.
Jen Shapiro
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I want to make every single recipe in this book. I love cooking and eating Indian food, and I really love that this cookbook is chockfull of recipes that are completely different than anything I’ve seen before. I can’t wait to get cooking.
Cartwheels
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great follow up to Made In India. I love Meera's recipes - easy to follow and make. Everything I've tried has worked well. I now have a great repertoire of dahls I can make.
Jab
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Fantastic ... !!!!
Jennie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, cooking, food
I adore Meera Sodha's recipes and her casual, friendly writing style. This book is a great follow on to Made in India, and a must for anyone looking to eat more vegetables.
Liz
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Great vegetarian cooking with reasonable time input. Perfect for week night meatless meals.
Helaina Thompson
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful CSA cook book!
Raegen Rasnic
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing cookbook. And I am a harsh judge of cookbooks. I have actually purchased it.
UB
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of incredibly interesting, exciting recipes that I think might get me out of my desi cooking funk. Loved reading this, now ready to use it.

• Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook
  • The Green Roasting Tin: Vegan and Vegetarian One Dish Dinners
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Veg: Easy and Delicious Meals For Everyone
  • Vegan One Pound Meals: Delicious budget-friendly plant-based recipes all for £1 per person
  • A Modern Way to Cook: Over 150 quick, smart and flavour-packed recipes for every day
  • Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Someone at a Distance
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
  • A Little Swiss Cookbook
  • Jamie's Dinners: The Essential Family Cookbook
Meera Sodha is a home cook and an occasional chef at the Michelin-rated Indian restaurant Gymkhana in London. When Made in India was published in the UK, it became an instant top-ten bestseller and was named one of the year's best books by many newspapers and periodicals.