Start by marking “The Midnight Bell (Sean Dillon, #22)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Bell (Sean Dillon, #22)

The Midnight Bell (Sean Dillon #22)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  1,319 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
“The bell tolls at midnight as death requires it.”

In Washington, D.C., on a night full of rain, a woman is struck down and killed by a hit-and-run driver. But she is not just any woman—she is the assistant to the head of the secret White House department known only as the Basement. And she had secrets of her own.

In the Virgin Islands, former president Jake Cazalet receives

Published December 27th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Bell, please sign up.
Asteropê It hasn't yet. Pub date: December 27th 2016

Brenda
On orders from the President, Blake Johnson headed to London on the Gulfstream, where former President Jake Cazalet was in talks with the British Prime Minister. Blake was told to bring him home. But there were problems heading their way in the form of another Master – the chaos and mayhem would disrupt many lives.

Brigadier General Charles Ferguson and his team, which included Sean Dillon, Major Giles Roper and Daniel Holley, were always prepared for anything. But the invasion of security by the
Tim
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm glad I went back and started reading about the Dillon character from the beginning. I therefore have a much clearer understanding of all that occurred in this well-done story. 8 of 10 stars

Amy
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
As a massive fan of Jack's WWII books, I figured it was time I read one of his more modern novel's. With the threat to the western world these days being terrorism (generally of a middle eastern source) the theme is pretty expected. While the plot is pretty well put together, I had a difficult time with the abundance of characters. Of course, I appreciate many of them are probably the usual characters throughout the Sean Dillion series, and this being book number 22 - if you have read them all, ...more
Etchison
May 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hate giving such a low review to Jack Higgins because I have really enjoyed a lot of his work, especially his early Sean Dillon novels. I listened to this one on audio, and kept thinking "I should just stop" but I didn't have another book to listen to, so I kept going. I don't mind suspending belief for a good story, but in this case, the story isn't nearly good enough to believe all the things that happen.
Raoul Jerome
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
OK read, but a bit disappointing. I kept hoping for more of a plot that would tie the disjointed parts together. Didn't happen. It never really went anywhere. At least the good guys came out ahead and the bad guys got their just due. The chief bad guy was frustrated as his every attempt was thwarted so this was in keeping with Dillon's usual process.
Jeanette
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-readers
I have never read any of Jack Higgins books before, although I do have a few on one of several library cases. Having read this book, I really must get around to reading them. A very enjoyable book! Recommended.

I was fortunate to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Ed
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
#22 in the Sean Dillon series. A joint effort of the "Prime Minister's Private Army", an ex-US President, and the head of the White House "Basement" take up arms against a resurgent al-Qaeda movement and the Irish and English thugs it enlists. Plenty of action and as is normal, not much to involve deep thinking. Perfect for fans of the series.

Sean Dillon series - In Ulster, Northern Ireland, a petty criminal kills a woman in a drunken car crash. Her sons swear revenge. In London, Sean Dillon and
Jean Kolinofsky
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank First to Read for providing a copy of this book for review. Once again Jack Higgins has written a thriller that kept me turning pages late into the night. Sean Dillon and General Ferguson's staff of operatives are contacted by a new Master from al-Qaeda who seems to be well informed of their movements. Using a number of contacts, he sets a continuous stream of traps and obstacles as they try to discover his identity and location.

For readers of Higgins' books, they will be d
Scott Vout
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Jack Higgins has been the Master (no pun intended - read the book and you will get it) for my entire life. Until this book.

It saddens me to say this one is not up to what i consider to be the standard for Higgins.
This one seems way too "simple". A young adult read would describe my feelings on this one.

The story line is valid but the execution left me wanting. Higgins drops his subtle hints as he always does but then in two or three pages he resolves the hints. Normally it takes a few chapters
Tom Tischler
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
On a night full of rain in Washington D.C. a woman is struck and killed by a hit and
run driver. She is not just any woman though, she's the assistant to the head of the
secret White House department known as the Basement. And she had a lot of secrets
of her own. Down in the Virgin Islands former president Jake Cazalet receives a warning.
He is recuperating after helping Sean Dillon and the rest of the Prime Ministers private
army defeat an Al Qaeda operation in London. But though AQ is weakened and
RSC
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Up To Par

I have read so many of Jack Higgins/Harry Patterson's novels that I feel uncomfortable with a middling review of "The Midnight Bell."

I kept hoping for more of a plot that would tie together the many disjointed elements of the book but it never happened.

The usual cast of characters is present with much time devoted to young Hannah, Dillon's cousin, and her character development. Indeed, it seems as though this novel was really used to set up what I suspect will be Hannah becoming th
Virginia Winfield
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking forward to reading the next book in this series for a while and I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed being close to all the old characters in this series. They were well done as always. I look forward to reading the next in the series. Sean is wonderful as always. The storyline is fantastic. Keep the good writing coming. I received an ebook copy of this book from Firsttoread for a fair and honest opinion.
Denise
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Didn't listen to the last disk - didn't care how it ended. Disappointed.

There was a time when I read many Jack Higgins books. The Eagle Has Landed was one of the few books I actually read twice - the second time just last year. This though was more about the characters telling each other what bad asses they were I stopped caring what happened next. Reiterations of the central characters backstories - one in particular was repeated about 3 or 4 times. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DD@Phila
Denise
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF so only one star.

There was a time when I quickly read through all the latest Jack Higgins books. One of the few books I read twice was The Eagle Has Landed. But Midnight Bell was a real clanger for me. My primary objection (aside from becoming bored) was how the characters constantly assured me what bad asses they were. No new ground covered. Soon became a snooze fest and I put it aside for more interesting books on the nightstand pile. Sorry Jack...

DD@Phila
Chris
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
It started well. The writing seemed "lighter" than some of his recent efforts and there actually seemed to be the beginning of a story. But a hallmark of his recent books, The Midnight Bell quickly descended into all the usual scenes, which ran into chapters, of endless amounts of talking and not doing anything that remotely has anything to do with the "plot". And the "plot" isn't really a plot, it's the beginning of an idea for a story.
Roslyn Page
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Pretty silly lots of shooting and silliness. Flying form one place to another and staying for 5 minutes. May Higgins is looking to have it made into movie script. I have thinking is part of a series about Sean Dillon
Amos
Jan 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed. This author has used the same fictional persons so often that they have become caricatures rather than characters. The plot seeks to be nuanced; it is simply befuddled as the author tries to old story lines in different ways
Carl
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sorry to say, this has now become a tired old formula.
Earlobes shot off as a warning: Check
Shot between the eyes: Check
Too wordy and not enough action.
More like a nice picnic than a thrilling roller-coaster ride.
So sad this has happened.
Last one for me
This is only MY opinion.
Courtney
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fast moving plot with little to no character development. You have to already know the characters and story line before getting into this book.
Kristin R
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, fiction, mystery
I didn't really enjoy this book in the series. Maybe Sean Dillon has run his course. The plot was pretty weak...
Joann Pilachowski
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sean Dillon and his company of friends delight and fascinate me. Higgins' novels never fail to please!
Glenn
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars - good to see some new characters, but the decline in Sean Dillon was a bit of a surprise... A good read to pass the time...
Mark
The typical Sean Dillon & the "Prime Minister's Private Army" storyline...A new AQ "Master" emerges to wreak havoc on the West, but I'm caught up in the "soap opera" nature of the lives of the PM's "Army"...I'm hooked on them, so Higgins can put dreck on the page & Im sucked right in!
Claire
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Disappointing. I used to like books by Jack Higgins, this story lacked a decent plot and it was boring. Only kept reading as I thought it was bound to improve - it didn’t.
Philip
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I still enjoy this series and its ever expanding cast of characters, but these Sean Dillon books seem to be getting a bit repetitive. There's not much difference between this one and previous books in the series.
Barry Martin Vass
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another few days in the life of ex-Provisional IRA enforcer Sean Dillon. The time of the Troubles is long gone, and Dillion's gone across the aisle and is working instead for the British Prime Minister's security squad, ferreting out al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups in the British Isles. Jack Higgins uses a very minimalist style, which is good because this one bounces all over, from Northern Ireland to London to Washington, D.C. to, gulp, Timbuktu. But the pacing is spot-on, th ...more
Michael Brown
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
While I liked this part of the series of England vs terrorists there was a major flaw that was never explored until almost the very end. The new 'Master' had minute by minute data on the team and events they were involved in. Yet no one asked about how until some info was released from a secret cabinet meeting that was still in progress. And even at the end there was no follow up on a search. Higgins has his formula down pat and this volume follows the trials and tribulations of the secret army ...more
Victor Borgeest
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book doesn't even sound like Jack Higgins. whats going on ? the whole thing plays out like a bunch of school kids on a holiday . pathetic storyline all they seemed to do was fill their bellies every chance they got and the most unbelievable things occurring al qaeda is not that stupid what a crook book bring back the old sean dillon and decent stories. that's unless this is ghost written by a ten year old.
BJ
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series, another one of my guilty pleasures. Over the years the bad guys have switched from Russian to al queda and ISIS, keeping up with the times. It involves what is called the Prime Minister's private army, run by a general with various other military, IRA, etc. Some of whom are bad guys turned good guys. Always a fast paced enjoyable read.
Mom
Oct 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Horrid self righteous characters committing savagery while spouting puerile justifications..... Story has something to do with Al Qaeda and IRA terrorists teaching the Arabs how to do it. The good guys are the IRA in this case, I think.
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)