Start by marking “Once Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #12.6)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #12.6)

Once Upon a Christmas Eve

(Maiden Lane #12.6)

A heartwarming stand-alone novella from New York Times best-selling author Elizabeth Hoyt!

Adam Rutledge, Viscount d'Arque, really rather loathes Christmas. The banal cheerfulness. The asinine party games. And, worst of all, the obligatory trip to the countryside. His grandmother, however, loves the holiday - and Adam loves his grandmother, so he'll brave the fiercest snows
Audiobook, Unabridged, 3 pages
Published December 5th 2017 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Christmas Eve, please sign up.
Pamela It is published in Grace Burrowes newest novel "My one and Only Duke" (Book 1 in her Rogues to Riches series." Elizabeth Hoyt's novella "Once upon a…moreIt is published in Grace Burrowes newest novel "My one and Only Duke" (Book 1 in her Rogues to Riches series." Elizabeth Hoyt's novella "Once upon a Christmas Eve is at the end of the book. I hope this helps.(less)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Disillusioned early on about rakes, Sarah St. John has always given Adam Rutledge, Viscount d'Arque, the cold shoulder. When he shows up unexpectedly at her home and is forced to spend Christmas, the complicated feelings she's always had, start to get even more complicated.
Adam would do anything for his grandmother; even spend a week celebrating Christm
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

A sweet holiday novella, perfect for those who like historical romance shorts and appropriate for those new to the Maiden Lane series.

Though I own quite a few books in Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series, I haven't actually read any (I know, I know!). However, I'm a sucker for a cute Christmas story, so I decided to give this one a whirl.

My struggle with novellas, especially ones where I don't have a ton of backstory, is that they don't have time to really develop feelings. I strugg
Alyssa

Publication Date: December 5, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Adam Rutledge, Viscount d'Arque, really rather loathes Christmas. The banal cheerfulness. The asinine party games. And, worst of all, the obligatory trip to the countryside. His grandmother, however, loves the holiday—and Adam loves h
Caz
Much as I’m a fan of Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series, I’m not a great fan of novellas and after having read and been somewhat 'meh' about Once Upon a Maiden Lane, I was going to give this a miss. But the fan in me said “you might as well – you’ve read all the others” (books in the series, that is), so I did read it… and I should have stuck to my guns, because Once Upon a Christmas Eve is rather a disappointment.

Very few authors, IMO, really know how to get it right when it comes to novella
♥Rachel♥
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, novella
Sarah St. John and Viscount Adam d’Arque have crossed paths, but it wasn’t a friendly exchange, because Sarah so clearly hated Adam on sight. Sarah isn’t fond of rakes, gentleman who seduce and carouse without thought for the women they hurt. But Sarah is about to get another, lovelier version of Adam as their lives are thrown together this holiday season.

Adam is accompanying his Grandmother to their yearly Christmas destination in the country, when their carriage breaks down in a storm. They h
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
This was a nice quickie but I’ve waited so long for Viscount d’Arque’s story! I just wish he’d had his own full length novel. Ugh!!!
Sam (AMNReader)
It was....ok.

That's all I got.
Princess under cover
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why other readers rated this one lower than the other novella I just finished. This is exactly what I would like to read in a shorter book - all of it focused on the two main characters with little distraction.

And EH delivers. I have always liked heroes that are a little "bad" but really good deep down inside. This is what we get in D'Arque. Adam. I also happen to love the name Adam, my crush in 4th grade, don't you know :P A very solid, manly name, at odds with his rakish reputatio
Piper
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for Viscount d’Arque.

Rant.... give us the option to rate with half stars please Goodreads.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

With the last book in the Maiden Lane series, Elizabeth Hoyt delivers a fantastic read filled with a swoonworthy romance and holiday spirit. Although I’m sad that this series has come to an end, all the books in the series have been favorites of mine. This novella captures the same fun banter and sinful heroes that I have come to love about this series.

If you’ve followed the series thus far, then you will be familiar with the hero. He was a man who made quite an impression in previous books. I
Joanna Loves Reading
Very disappointed in this. The leads here deserved something more, much more. They were compelling characters and were a fitting pairing, that had been anticipated since book 5 of the series. This was a short novella, and it was way too rushed and wholly unsatisfying. Also, the accompanying fairy tale was annoying, definitely my least favorite fairy tale of all her books.
Robin
Adam Rutlege, Viscount d'Arque, is traveling with his grandmother to visit family for the Christmas holiday when the carriage loses a wheel. The stranded passenger and their servants end up staying at Hedge House where the inhabitants are celebrating the holidays. Sarah St. John has met Adam before and knows his reputation. He may flirt with her and tease her, but Sarah isn't about to fall for a rogue like him.

This short story closes out the Maiden Lane series. The only characters we see from th
kris
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sigh.

This was fine. Sara St. John, who hates rakes because of Reasons, is displeased when rake Adam Rutledge, Viscount d'Arque, shows up at the family home for Christmas. And as everyone knows: Christmas + boners + emotional constipation = TRUE LOVE.

I think part of the problem was that I was strapping myself in for a longer story. Actual conversation and healing from Sarah. Real confession and growth from Adam. BUT NOPE. This is a novella so they dance around their ~issues and like a rat-infest
Jen Davis
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Hoyt gives us one more Maiden Lane story to love in this short holiday read. The heroine is Sarah St. John (younger sister to Godric for those of your familiar with the series.) At 27, she is a bit old to be an unmarried miss, but a house party courtesy of her mother might find her the perfect husband. Then Adam, Viscount d’Arque, shows up at the front door. His carriage has had an accident with his grandmother inside and they need a place to stay. Of course, the St. John family can’t ...more
Hollis
This novella felt very rushed and wasn't as well fleshed out as the last. A lot was crammed in to try and round the story out but it just kind of jumbled it instead. Godric St John's book was one of my most-disliked of the series though so honestly I'm not too surprised that this wrap-up for the series he happens to feature in was meh for me. Also, what was up with the total lack of relevant epilogue in this one?
Kimberly
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin

Adam Rutledge, Viscount d’Arque and admitted rake, loathes Christmas. Sarah St. John loathes rakes. It’s only fitting, then, that the two of them fall in love at Christmastime in the absolutely delightful Once Upon a Christmas Eve . I love a romance where a rake falls for the “on-the-shelf” heroine who isn’t impressed by his charm or good looks so this story was right up my alley.

It’s attraction masked by dislike at first sight when it comes to Adam and
Lori Foster
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saved Hoyt's novellas for last since I was burning through the full novels.
The novellas are now like little treats after filling up on big meals. :-)
All are delicious!
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2yOnRcj

Christmas and Elizabeth Hoyt. I was in!

The Gist: Well, In Adam's opinion Christmas sucks. As does having a carriage break down on a snowy night and your only option being to seek refuge at a festive Christmas house party. *hangs head*

I liked Adam and Sarah and that they're both a little growly. She may not be all that impressed with him there at first, yall. But he totally melts a girl's heart with how he dotes on his gr
Julianna
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance; Holiday Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Once Upon a Christmas Eve is the final wrap-up novella in Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series. It’s been a great ride, and I’m sorry to see it finish. But as clichéd as it may be, all good things must come to an end. This is a story that I know many long-time fans of the series have been clamoring for. As for me, it was a welcome addition to the series, but not one that I was going ga-ga for, like so many others. If memory serves, Sarah and Adam were first introduced in S
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
RachelW (BamaGal)
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars. A nice, sweet bit of fluff; though I can't see a single thing about it special enough to delay the release for a year. It stands up well enough on its own from the rest of the series, however; but don't look to this being a series ending story, that was Duke of Desire...if the series is well and truly over.

I had a much better ending in my mind for the fable...
Jan130
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet and light novella. I can't really remember the MCs from when they appeared earlier in the Maiden Lane series, but some old favs such as Godric and Meg make welcome reappearances.

Adam is clearly a rake. I must say I didn't like the way he talked about his easy conquests of women, and how they fell over themselves to attract his attention. It made him seem a little shallow and egocentric. However this was counterbalanced by his clear love and respect for his ailing grandmother.

Sarah had
Tanya Sridhar
Listen I love these characters and I loved their interactions.

What I did not love. How little of it there was. And how quick. A novella doesn't have to be so small either.

It felt too rushed and incomplete. Ugh.
Nani
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Vamos a ver. ¿por qué con personajes tan interesantes como estos dos, me escribe un libro cortito?.

Eso no se hace Elizabeht, muy mal.

Me ha sabido a poco o nada. Y sin embargo lo poco que nos ha dado esta autora de esta historia me ha gustado. Pero claro, trece miseros capítulos cuando llevamos conociendo a estos personajes de tiempo.

En fin, los otros relatos cortos que no he leído, no me llamaban la atención.
Gilgamesha
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omg I have been waiting for their story since they first appeared in book 6 or something.....I hope the Novella does justice.

I am grudgingly giving this 4 stars because it was not a bad read. I am just disappointed to have so little of Sarah and Adam...and such an abrupt end to the book and Maiden Lane series. No revisit of beloved characters...no cheesy reunions of the Ghosts of St. Giles sighhhh too many disappointing reads lately 😭
Jujubee
Solid 3.5*
I think it could be read out of series order, perhaps anytime after Goderic and Meg's story, Lord of Darkness, (Maiden Lane #5) for maximum enjoyment.
Audrey
Jun 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Pushed back to December 2017! Whatever it's still pre ordered. Elizabeth Hoyt is a total auto buy.
Teresa
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, I really didn't want to start this book. Why? Because then Maiden Lane would be over, and I'm just not ready for it. But seeing as this was Viscount D'Arque's book, and I've been waiting for his story for awhile, I ended up getting over that notion pretty quickly. And I was immediately drawn into the story. I love the enemy banter between Sarah and Adam, loved learning more of their backstory, and I loved that they had previously known and encountered each other before, which mad ...more
Carvanz
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audiobook: Narrator - Ashford McNab

Ms. McNab does an exceptional job each time I listen to her. I can only say it so many ways but it all amounts to this - she is freaking fantastic!

This is a short little Christmas story that didn’t portray a really strong sense of the season, although it did show a bit of what people in this era did to entertain themselves during a house party. I enjoyed the relationship between Adam and Sarah, how it initially began and the continuing evolution of it. While Ad
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven  (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #3; Desperate Duchesses, #9)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • After the Wedding (The Worth Saga #2)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • The Danger of Desire (Sinful Suitors, #3)
  • Guardian's Mate (Shifters Unbound, #9)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
  • The Viscount and the Vixen (Hellions of Havisham, #3)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • Blood Red Kiss (Immortals After Dark, #1; MoonBound Clan Vampires, #2.5; Otherworld Assassin, #2.5)
  • Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1)
  • Mad for the Plaid (The Oxenburg Princes, #3)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • Rules of Contact (Play by Play, #12)
  • Three Reckless Wishes (Fiery Tales, #10)
  • The Only One (One Love #2; 1001 Dark Nights #50)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
“I’m afraid I’m rather used to females making themselves shameless for me.” 0 likes
“Tell me, Miss St. John, are you on the hunt for a husband?” 0 likes