Start by marking “The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)

The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides #1)

THEY CALL HIM THE DUKE OF MURDER...

The gossips whisper that the new Duke of Murdoch is a brute, a murderer, and even worse—a Scot. They say he should never be trusted alone with a woman. But Megan Windham sees in Hamish something different, someone different.

No one was fiercer at war than Hamish MacHugh, though now the soldier faces a whole new battlefield: a London Season
Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published December 20th 2016 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Dukes, please sign up.

Danielle There's some sex in this novel, but I don't think it's all that graphic. It's known that characters have sex, but it isn't explicitly described.

Stacey is Sassy
description

I had no trouble with this kilt wearing Duke.

I LOVED The Trouble with Dukes. This type of book is why I love reading and became devoted to historical romance. Historical romance was my first love. I have been known to hook up with contemporary, paranormal/fantasy and suspense but you can’t beat your first love. Historical romance is where my heart lays. The strong but troubled aristocrat, the feisty and quirky heroine and a love story that melts your heart and leaves you with a giddy smile.

The T
Elizabeth
Nov 04, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Grace Burrowes writes from the heart--with warmth, humor, and a generous dash of sensuality, her stories are unputdownable! If you're not reading Grace Burrowes you're missing the very best in today's Regency Romance!
Mei
Jan 17, 2017 Mei rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Oh dear, I hope this years HR will get better.... at least those I read.... O_o

I was frustrated with this book. In the first half there's a lot of running around, a lot of people talking, scheming, nothing happened.

Or, better, I could discern that there's this guy, odious and unctuous, who wanted to force Megan to marry him. But it was not clear why she just didn't slap him or gave him a cut direct...

I understood, after years of reading HR, that Dukes and Duchesses had very much power and could
Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar
Dec 12, 2016 Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar rated it really liked it

Megan Windham has a powerful family full of nobility but they might not be able to save her from an indiscretion in her youth.
Hamish MacHugh is a former colonel who is now a duke and just wishing he could be back in Scotland.
When they meet there is an instant connection but a sly villain and observing the "niceties" of the times are conspiring to keep
Luffy
Jan 03, 2017 Luffy marked it as did-not-finish
I didn't get comfortable with this book. Its vocabulary was challenging, so I couldn't get relaxed while reading it, I came across lots of words here that I understood only because I know some French.

In the end, the book moved so slowly that I wondered if this was a book about nothing. I've never read two good romance books consecutively. Something always prevents me from embracing the genre full fledgedly. Oh well, better luck next time.
♥Rachel♥
Dec 18, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Men with impeccable manners and pretty words don’t impress Megan Windham. She’s found out the hard way that a snake can be under all those social niceties. That’s why Megan isn’t turned off by Hamish MacHugh’s lack of them. Instead, Megan finds herself drawn to the unrefined, but genuine man, but does it matter when another schemes and plots to take her freedom away?

Hamish has a fierce reputation, nick-named the “Duke of Murder” by gossipers, but he’s braving the London social season for his you
Caz
Nov 23, 2016 Caz rated it really liked it
Grace Burrowes’ The Trouble with Dukes sees her returning to the extended Windham family, who were the subject of her first published works. The Windham Brides series introduces the four nieces of the Duke and Duchess of Moreland while also reacquainting readers with the various other family members whose stories were told previously.

I suspect a reader’s level of enjoyment of this book may largely depend on their degree of familiarity with the various characters who inhabit “Burrowesworld” (a
Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦
Nov 23, 2016 Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦ rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, historical
Release Date: December 20, 2016
Genre: Historical Romance

The Trouble with Dukes is a passionate and well thought up book that will leave readers utterly breathless. This is my first Grace Burrowes book and it certainly won't be my last! I truly enjoyed the entire book the whole way though and found both the hero and heroine to be extremely likable. While this book is not without its drama, Burrowes tells their story with ease and comfort. Fans of historical romance should definitely be pickin
The Book Disciple (Samantha)
Dec 19, 2016 The Book Disciple (Samantha) rated it really liked it
Link to full review below! 3.5 stars
Cute and sweet! See full review on The Book Disciple
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
So, I have a theory. Burrowes does not write great novels when the setting is the London Season. It's like she's at a loss for how to bring her H/h together when they're just a standard couple courting in a standard way. Unless her heroine is the near neighbour/governess/housemaid/gal of all works of the hero and the action is set primarily around one stately home, in the country, with country pursuits, I think she's a bit at sea.

This novel was at sea.

The romance never felt well developed. Sudd
Juliana Philippa
"You love Hamish, don't you?" Colin asked, though he only dimly grasped what it might mean, for a woman this fierce to love his brother. Trouble for Hamish, but good, long overdue trouble.
This was my first Grace Burrowes book and unfortunately, I didn't love it. I will definitely be trying some of her other books though; her characters are interesting, the writing is good, and the Windham family, which is heavily featured here, is quite enjoyable (and hysterical)!

Summary. Hamish MacHugh (early
Pamela
Dec 17, 2016 Pamela rated it liked it
The characterization and the writing are both very good. Megan and Hamish are both flawed, but relatable and the supporting cast is all there to do their part.

While I felt the book had some good moments, I didn't think the subplot was believable. Megan's family is (implied) way too powerful for the "snake in the grass", Sir Fletcher, to blackmail young Megan. Also, for me, I found it hard to believe that as close as the Windham family is, that Megan hadn't confided in any of them. There were way
Heather andrews
Oct 02, 2016 Heather andrews rated it it was amazing

Hamish is a very sweet man, “listen to me, Meggie. Firstly , when I make a vow, I keep it. Forsaking all others, means forsaking all others. Secondly, I suspect once we’re wed, the effort required to show up at meals with a few clothes on will tax the limit of my abilities. I’m marrying a passionate woman.” Thanks to his girl, Hamish can sometimes forget what he was saying, “I was saying…” Something, something important, and honorable, and… damn. “Don’t stop, Meggie. Not yet.” I enjoyed this boo
Courtney
I found this book on netgalley and received an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

I have not read any other books by Grace Bellows and initially picked this book because I thought it was the first in a new series – it is tagged on goodreads as being (Windham Brides #1). Little did I realize it is the offshoot of another series, The Windham series, and is more like the 12th book in the Windham world. Characters from earlier books factor heavily into this one, so I felt like I w
Dec 15, 2016 Jennifer rated it did not like it
DNF @50% Some spoilers ahead.

Apparently this is not the first book of this series, its really the 9th. I was reading, wondering WTF was happening for most of the first half. I didnt connect with either Megan or Hamish, and I felt like Megan's character was flimsy. She would say something like, "I am not a fast woman" one moment, but then she was nuzzling up to Hamish, a man whom she has known for all of 10 minutes.

There is also Sir Fletcher, apparently Megan wrote him some love letters and now
eatbookseatworlds
Oct 05, 2016 eatbookseatworlds rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, romance
The Trouble With Dukes follows what has proven to be Grace Burrowes' tried and true Windham formula: a hero with serious hero-ish baggage (in his case, PTSD/conscience issues from his fighting days) and a heroine with scandal hovering in the wings (in her case, a morally bankrupt suitor who is blackmailing her into marrying him). Hero determines to save heroine. Messiness ensues. What continues to astound and delight me about Burrowes is she manages to sell this formula every single time. By the ...more
Sophia
Returning to the world of the Windham Family was a heartwarming reunion for me. Grace Burrowes' Windham series and spin-offs has delighted me for many years now. I was thrilled to see there will be stories for some lady cousins needing romance and all the Windhams are back at the matchmaking.

While this is the first in a series, it is very much attached to the greater and older Windham series. A new reader will sense very much that they have stumbled into an ongoing family saga even while getting
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
The Trouble with Dukes was a sweet and charming historical romance! Even though I really liked the plot of this book, I definitely felt like the story was on the slower side. That made it hard to get into the book. However, as I started to learn more about the characters, I did get more invested in the story. I also was expecting this book to be a little steamier and more passionate, but it was still a very romantic read.

The main characters, Megan and Hamish, were very interesting characters.
Blodeuedd Finland
More Windhams! Oh there are a lot of them, but this time it's time for the cousins to find love.

Megan, well the different thing about her is that she wears glasses, and that does set her apart. But she has a suitor *coughs asshat*. But she is pushing him away, and we learn why *coughs he is an asshat*.

Hamish was a soldier, and one with a pretty rough reputation. Then he inherited a title, and he is still rough around the edges, and a Scot to boot.

They meet, they like each other. They talk they f
Keri
Dec 23, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
Loved Hamish MacHugh, but wish that we would have got to meet with St. Clare.
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
Oct 31, 2016 Amy ~ Love At 1st Read rated it it was amazing
Among the accolades I’ve read for Grace Burrowes’ books was the statement that her stories are “brimming with passion, romance, and wit”. Now that I’ve read my first Grace Burrowes book, I can say that’s an understatement. This first book in her new Windham Brides series isn’t just brimming, it’s overflowing. Ms. Burrowes has a real gift for building physical and emotional tension in her stories. I was pulled in from the first page by her flawless story- telling and her unforgettable characters ...more
OpenBookSociety.com

By Grace Burrowes
ISBN# 9781455569960
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

No one was fiercer at war than Hamish Mac Hugh, though now the soldier faces a whole new battlefield: a London Se
Lisa
Dec 18, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bur-2016
This is the first book in Ms. Burrowes new series the Windham Brides. It is going to be a charming, fun filled journey. The Windham women are strong, intelligent women with the backing of a wonderful family of men ready to defend them to the death. This series promises to bring many HEA’s and I am excited to see where she takes us.

We meet Hamish MacHugh as he is discussing the dreadful, to him, news that a Dukedom has fallen to him to take up. He is not happy. He is a Scotsman that fought in the
Susan Gorman
Dec 31, 2016 Susan Gorman rated it it was amazing
Hamish and Megan Windham’s first meeting is exquisitely written. The author does a fabulous job introducing Hamish to Megan and establishes the connection that Sir Fletcher Pilkington has to both of them. The plot threads between these three characters connect and cross over as the well-paced story develops. Through the characters of Hamish and Sir Fletcher, Ms. Burrowes subtly explores how war affects men who have fought in battle, how returning soldiers adapt to a changing world and how a man’ ...more
Constantine
Rating: 3.0/5.0

I love historical books be it suspense, mystery or romantic. I am very fond with the settings and the atmosphere. Grace Burrowes has done a marvelous job here in creating all the historical settings and atmospheres in her book. When you read, it is like you truly live in that interesting era. Megan Windham is the heroine of the story who is suffering from a poor eye sight. She is being blackmailed by Sir Fletcher who tries his best to marry her for all the wrong reasons. Comes to
Romance Readers Retreat
Dec 22, 2016 Romance Readers Retreat rated it really liked it
Hamish, The Duke of Murdoch has survived many a battle and he has a reputation of a murderer and a feared man to thank for it. He is about to face his hardest challenge yet - a London Season. He'd do anything to make his sisters happy, so when they want a season, he can't refuse. The Ballroom proves a much riskier and more dangerous place than any battle he has been in previously.
Megan Windham cares little for gossip and refuses to believe the things she hears about her friends' brother Hamish.
eyes.2c
Dec 20, 2016 eyes.2c rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A deliciously heart warming read!

'I’m glad you didn’t die fighting'
For the new Duke of Murdoch, slightingly whispered to as the 'Duke of Murder' by the rapacious of the ton (in clubrooms, behind fluttering fans and gloved hands), these words uttered by Megan Windham are balm to his battle weary soul.
Very loud sighs of satisfaction and content from this reader! Heady stuff!
I adored the reluctant battlefield warrior turned Duke, running the season's gauntlet with more trepidation than the night b
Jan
Dec 23, 2016 Jan rated it it was amazing
Twas the week before Christmas
And all through the house
A teacher on vacation
Wanted books, not a blouse.

When what to her wondering eyes should appear
A new Burrowes book!
Oh, it's here!!
It. Is. Here!!

Away to the Nook
She flew like a flash
Hit the 'buy' button
Paid with gift cards, not cash.

A hero so manly
His love was Miss Megan
She was quite dainty
Yep,she had him beggin'.

The teacher waltzed through the pages
And drove in Hyde Park
Will St. Just soon appear?
He's true love, not a lark.

Yes! There he was
Da
Penny Black
Jan 05, 2017 Penny Black rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: duke
The last few (six or eight, I've lost count) new releases from GB are virtually indistinguishable from one another. Aside from superficial plot details and character names, they are, essentially the same book. The ephemeral something - the magic, if you will, that made me fall in love with the original Windhams Captive Hearts, and the Lost Lords - is long gone. As upsetting as it is, it's time to face that it is unlikely to return. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
Amira
Very good read. Full review to come
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 23, 2016 12:24PM
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more
More about Grace Burrowes...

Windham Brides (2 books)
  • Too Scot to Handle (Windham Brides, #2)