Start by marking “Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron

Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron

(Star Wars: Poe Dameron #1)

Poe Dameron, former Republic flyer turned Resistance fighter, is the best pilot in the galaxy. Hand-picked for the resistance by General Leia Organa to lead a squadron on a top-secret and vital mission, Poe sets off to investigate sites of historical importance to the Force — revealing backstory leading directly into The Force Awakens! Follow Poe and his X-Wing squadron on ...more
Published December 13th 2016 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Start your review of Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron
Sam Quixote
Jan 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron was arguably the best new character in The Force Awakens. The perfect blend of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, Poe stole every scene he was in and it wasn’t surprising when rumours of a spinoff solo movie started doing the rounds. I’m all in favour of that, Disney, but one thing: please, please, please NEVER hire Charles Soule to write the script, he will torpedo any interest in the character like he did in this crappy comic!

Remember Poe’s first scene where he’s tal
Calista
There were some good ideas in this story. I don't think Poe's Charisma came through the novel very well. He was very different. I didn't care for the members of Black Squadron at all. There was no characterization. They were dull. The beginning was a little interesting and then we were introduced to the foil or antagonist - Tekka. He is dull also and I didn't like him at all.

I thought the idea for the prison with the anti-gravity gun was interesting and creative. I don't know how som
Paul E. Morph
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Phil Noto's artwork was great as always on this book... shame about the story.

Nah, that's a little harsh. It was OK. You'll probably get more out of it if you actually enjoyed The Force Awakens....
Holden Johnson
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Marvel has done amazing so far with the new star wars canon comics.

Poe Dameron Vol 1: Black Squadron contains issues 1-5 of the new Poe Dameron comic from marvel. This is one of the few series in the new marvel comic selection that takes place in unknown time periods during and around the events of episode 7, The Force Awakens. So, of course, this makes me very excited to see more into the new universe.

This volume was very exciting and showed me several things that I love
Lata
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Charming Poe Dameron is sent on a mission by General Leia Organa to find Lor San Tekka. With the help of BB-8 and the members of Black Squadron, Poe travels from place to place, with First Order Agent Terex (I kept thinking T-Rex!) showing up on the same mission.
Some action, a little mystery, with more to be revealed, hopefully, of how the First Order seems a little ahead of the Resistance.
Chad
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was the first one of the Marvel Star Wars books I was bored with. Disney has such a tight control on what can be done with any of the characters that all these EU stories involving anything with the new movies are bland and uninteresting. Adding Charles Soule to the mix doesn't help. His writing for Marvel has been uninteresting at best and that trend continues here. The plot of this whole series is the hunt for Max Von Sydow. He's supposed to be this big explorer now so each story line is ...more
Allie
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
My rating is me being a bitch. Kind of.

Usually before I read any book I'll look up the reviews, to see if my bookish friends liked them or just to see what the ratings have averaged out to. If I would've seen the reviews before reading this, I wouldn't have read it. Fortunately, a friend came and dropped this on my table and told me to read it. He does this often and, truthfully, some of his recommendations are pthhhpbb.

That said, I'm glad I read this. I liked the story and the illustrations.
Clarissa
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was okay. I wanted to love it. I really did but the plot felt predictable and a little boring at times. Of course, this is a direct prequel to The Force Awakens, so that may be part of it but I wasn't pulled into the story.

I adore Poe Dameron and BB-8 but I don't get the same charm that I loved from the movie that I do here. The artist does a good job making him look almost exactly like Oscar Isaac but, alas, the writer could not transfer his persona to the page. BB-8 is still great though.

I hope
Michelle Curie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Poe Dameron was my favourite new character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, so the fan in me was curious to find out how a series with him as the protagonist would play out.

Not that anyone would forget, but the former Republic flyer turned Resistance fighter is the best pilot in the galaxy. Black Squadron is set before the events of The Force Awakens and focusses on his and General Leia Organa's efforts to find the map revealing Luke Skywalker's current location. In the adventures that follow he has to find Lor San T
Julie
Oh gosh, this comic book was a delight! 4.5 stars. It covers some of Poe's shenanigans with Black Squadron (Jessika Pava, Snap Wexley, et al) in the leadup to The Force Awakens, on their search for Lor San Tekka -- and their clashes with Agent Terex, a First Order intelligence operative who is amazing, all mustachioed charm and whimsy as he and Poe wind up in a new cat-and-mouse game, an almost Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner-esque situation. There's a prison break. There's an exasperated Leia. There's his ace pi ...more
Bhanuj
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story, the artwork, the plot, everything was below average.

Poe Dameron is my third favorite character from Star Wars after Yoda and R2D2. You can say, that I have a little man-crush on the best pilot in the whole galaxy. I was super excited to find that Poe has his own series but I am super disappointed after reading it.

The story is a prequel to Episode 7. The volume 1 collects issue #1-6. Everyone wants to find out where Luke Skywalker is, but before they find out the map to Luke skywalke
Anthony
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I was expecting a lot from this, but it's overall pretty average. I won't complain about BB-8 and Poe getting their own comic, but we don't really get into their history much. Instead, we're introduced to a lot of other characters that'll be supporting players coming up. Probably why this arc was called Black Squadron. I hope the next arc is better.
Sesana
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
Essentially a direct prequel to Force Awakens, the story of how Poe found Lor San Tekka, and, I presume, how the First Order was right behind him. The story was fairly good, and there's some nice action sequences. But there's some truly awful dialog in there. Nice art, though.
Lance Shadow
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Star Wars: Poe Dameron is yet another comic book series released by Marvel that focuses on a side character from the films. This series is meant to be a direct prequel to The Force Awakens. Despite the slight feeling of pointlessness to it all, writer Charles Soule and artist Phil Noto delivered a very fun read and I look forward to seeing how this story connects to the opening scene on Jakku.

This is one of those stories that much like Drew Karpyshyn's Old Republic novel Annihilation, I really li
Ivy
5 🌟

Enjoyed seeing Poe and the other members of Black Squadron. Hope they find Lor San Tekka soon. Didn't really like the prison very much. Wonder who the spy in Black Squadron is.

Can't wait to read Poe Dameron #2: The Gathering Storm!!!
Jessamyn Leigh
Poe is a precious noble loyal sea turtle. I love BB-8. I love the rest of the squad. All of them going on adventures? Sign me up.

Phil Noto's art is always the prettiest and I'll never be over the way he does stuff with color.

Basically this is everything I could want in a comic.
Jonathan Maas
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just awesome. I highly recommend it!
Scott
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This one started promisingly enough - with Dameron (quipping in a similar manner to the silver-screen version) engaging in the expected brave and/or reckless piloting, and then assembling a squadron for two special missions - but did not quite rise above B-level plotting. (The events depicted take place just before The Force Awakens.) The villain Terex, who appeared to resemble actor Robert Shaw in looks and DC's Sinestro in uppity / arrogant manner (ugh), was an average antagonist. BB-8, though, acquits ...more
Roy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was pretty subpar to anything Ive read in the marvel star wars universe. Poe is on thr hunt, taken around the galaxy trying to find a certain someone. Hint its a certain someone related to the films. The art is pretty average at best.
Neil R. Coulter
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: salvific egg lovers
I'm glad people (and opening-crawl texts) so often mention that Poe Dameron is the Best Pilot in the Galaxy (tm), because if they didn't, I would assume he's really uninteresting and helpless.

Poe's highlights:

**gets captured in the first few minutes of his film debut
**his ship gets destroyed on a middle-of-nowhere planet
**recites lame, quippy dialogue ("Who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?") in the presence of a cool villain
**entrusts important informatio
Kathleen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poe Dameron is my cute, sweet, ridiculous space son, so naturally when I saw a graphic novel about him, I picked it up. This volume collects the first six (? maybe four?) issues in the series and two separate story arcs in one long quest to find Lor San Tekka. It's essentially a prequel to The Force Awakens, and explains how Poe got to Jakku in the first place. Sort of. Part of the way there, anyway.

I have to admit, the first arc is ehhh. We see Poe hanging out with a strange sort of
Lydia
Aw, Poe Dameron. <3

I have to say, I fell in love with the man when he came onto the screen in The Force Awakens. He had just the right amount of swagger and sweetness to make him into a hero I wanted to cheer for. Skilled, valiant and warm.

In this comic, he's a little more like a cheeky space cowboy, tackling a nigh-impossible mission that he always seems to scramble out of, just in the nick of time, hair mussed in a way that somehow makes him all the more attractive.

I really lo
Christine
Poe Dameron was the only thing I liked about Force Awakens, outside of Leia. BB8 was nice, but (he's R2, right? Finn was interesting but confusing, and Rey was a Mary Sue (not surprising since Luke was a Marty). But Poe was fun.

There is not much back story about Poe, and there are some actions that make me question certain plot points. Look, I know all the myth points about SW, but honesty, there are so many plot holes in the movies that you ride a dragon carrying a train though them
Renata
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a pretty fun read! I think a lot of what I enjoyed about Poe--Oscar Isaac's charm, cool flying scenes--are a little hard to translate into comics format though? But it was fine. I guess it maybe ties in to some of the novels that I haven't read? I feel like I understood it fine, as a reader willing to accept a bunch of new rando pilot characters, but I guess some of those randos have their own stuff going on elsewhere? My level of Star Wars geek is only "moderate" so \_(ツ)_/ ...more
Dana
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Phil Noto is one of my favorite comic artists and Poe is one of my favorite Star Wars characters so I kind of had to pick this up. Was expecting a bit more out of it (and wanted more backstory than just the immediate events leading up to TFA), but it wasn't so bad. I'll be picking up the next few volumes and hopefully I like them more!
Dreximgirl
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this graphic novel. Poe was my favourite character from The Force Awakens and I really enjoy getting to know him and his team better in this graphic novel series. Looking forward to reading volume 2 :)
Becca
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
While I find the story average and a little predictable... I sure as hell enjoy staring at Oscar Isaacs face.
Hong
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was super silly AND I LOVED IT.
Alexander Sison
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I was excited when I first heard about this. Helmed by Charles Soule( The writer of the excellent Obi-Wan and Anakin miniseries as well as the entertaining Lando series), and illustrated by Phil Noto who did the illustrations for the Chewbacca miniseries and the amazing Before the Awakening novel(Which I would recommend but not require you read before this comic, as this comic also acts as a direct follow-up to that book) who would cover Poe, arguably one of the most endearing characters of The ...more
Emily

• Star Wars: Captain Phasma
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 4: End of Games
  • Star Wars: Thrawn

Star Wars: Poe Dameron (5 books)
  • Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 2: The Gathering Storm