Start by marking “The One Hundred Nights of Hero” as Want to Read:
The One Hundred Nights of Hero

Read Book* *Different edition

The One Hundred Nights of Hero

(Early Earth)

In the tradition of The Arabian Nights, a beautifully illustrated tapestry of folk tales and myths about the secret legacy of female storytellers in an imagined medieval world.

Published December 6th 2016 by Little, Brown and Company (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The One Hundred Nights of Hero, please sign up.
Emily I didn't and I wasn't lost at all in the story. It explains the basic mythology in the beginning and you know pretty much everything you need to as fa…moreI didn't and I wasn't lost at all in the story. It explains the basic mythology in the beginning and you know pretty much everything you need to as far as the story(ies) go.(less)

Start your review of The One Hundred Nights of Hero
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
*Rated 4.5/5 stars!

This is a beautiful collection of stories, my word.

I love a retelling, so was already excited for this one. What I didn't expect was the true folklore feel to it, the dark themes underlying the whimsy. Even less so was the numerous retellings and references woven into these stories, from retellings of fairytales such as the Twelve Dancing Princesses to possible references to famous literary gothic villains. It all wove together into something that made my literary heart sing.

I
Nat
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
The One Hundred Nights of Hero 15-- bookspoils
In the Empire of Migdal Bavel, Cherry is married to Jerome, a wicked man who makes a diabolical wager with his friend Manfred: if Manfred can seduce Cherry in one hundred nights, he can have his castle--and Cherry.
But what Jerome doesn't know is that Cherry is in love with her maid Hero.

The One Hundred Nights of Hero 1-- bookspoils
I genuinely feel like this graphic novel was made just for me. It contains nearly everything I've grown to love in books, such as tales of families, Gods, humans and human-ness, love and betrayal, kings, danc
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

This delivered absolutely everything I hoped it would and so much. It was full of absurdities, and love, and feminist bad-assery, and I adored every beautifully illustrated page!
Tatiana
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of charmingly peculiar feminist graphic fairy tales.
Dave Schaafsma
“All those stories you have told, all those wonderful stories…
They are nothing to OUR STORY. People will tell it in years to come…
And they will say, that was a story about Love.
And about two brave girls who wouldn’t take shit from anyone.”

I liked the quirky, whimsical artwork of Early Earth, but was not in love with the vast scope of the myth-making, the broad origins of the universe. I thought it was just all right. Impressive to look at, but it made me a little impatient to read. Sorry, Neil G
Elle (ellexamines)
One Hundred Nights of Hero is a story about stories, and a story about storytelling, and a story about power - the power we yield, and the power we are deprived of.

description

I don't know if I can fully review this. This book is one that you simply have to experience for yourself. All I can say is that this book is deeply, deeply beautiful. It is a story of love and loss and with a deep, deep power. It's probably enough to say the ending made me cry. Please add this.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube
F
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was physically stunning!

Thoughtful words with beautiful illustrations
Feminist tales within a tale.

Artwork & colours work really well.

One of the best graphic novels i have ever read.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
*4.5 stars*

god, this was delightful
Emily
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolute delight.

It had everything I could have wanted: a compelling story, wonderful characters, and a sense of bittersweet hope throughout.

This book is a celebration of women storytelling, and the ways in which other people (mostly men...) try to stifle these stories and the women who tell them.

The art is gorgeous and visually interesting--I loved just staring at the pages.

I want MORE. So much more. I especially adored the ending of this book... It's everything I could have w
Chihoe Ho
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moral of this story is: Tell stories to get out of dangerous situations. But not just any stories. Smart stories. Stories about brave women who don't take shit from anyone.

That's simplifying "The One Hundred Nights of Hero" quite a bit since there is a lot more to this gorgeously illustrated book. It gives off a warm and fuzzy feeling with its messages of love and independence, yet, it is a very somber and sobering tale. It's muted tones create an aesthetic palette that is just as central to
Kate (GirlReading)
Essentially an f/f retelling of a thousand and one nights, the one hundred nights of hero was addictive, funny, brilliantly sarcastic and full of sassy, bad ass women and feminist tales and messages from start to finish. With artwork that was quirky, unique and incredibly inviting, a compelling plot and a brilliantly witty reflection on society and the way it treats women, I’d without recommend this as a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was beautiful. The art. The narration. The nesting stories. The message. And an epic, mythic love story between two brave, smart women. Clever, funny, inspiring.
Ferdy

Loved it. There was a little bit of everything: fantasy, humour, drama, feminism, fairy tales and romance. There wasn't any part that wasn't engrossing or funny or interesting. The stand outs for me was the stories within stories format, the humorous dialogue, and the illustrations. The only things that were a let down was that the ending seemed a little rushed, and the scrawly font that was used wasn't easy to read.
Lauren
Greenberg's The Encyclopedia of Early Earth was such a delight, and one of my favorites of 2016. I was really looking forward to another story in this universe of Early Earth, and it's islands and people. One Hundred Nights of Hero was even better than expected. I loved the nested stories, the tongue-in-cheek commentary and sidenotes, the feminist and queer storylines, and the beautiful resounding love of the characters.

A particular favorite was the retelling of the old fairytale The Twelve Danc
Raina
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I very nearly put it down.
The intro was a SLOW start for me - the framing of god-conversation was tiresome, the aesthetic of the illustrations didn't immediately please me.
But as soon as I finished it, I immediately handed it to two different family members. "Read it," I said, "You'll love it." One of them was leaving the state less than 24 hours later, and she later told me it was her favorite graphic novel of all those I shared with her while she visited.

Good stuff, this.

It's a story within a
Jennifer (Insert Lit Pun)
I feel guilty for not loving this. I really thought I would. The artwork is beautiful, and the stories are all about sisterhood and empowerment. But I didn't think the text was anything special. First of all, Greenberg combined stilted, fairytale-esque language (no contractions, saying expository things aloud) with colloquial, trying-to-be-funny language. Didn't really work for me. And I also think it's difficult to adapt the Scheherazade story because, come on, you have to convince us that the ...more
Skye Kilaen
I'd read The Encyclopedia of Early Earth and quite enjoyed its whimsical mythology, but I wasn't expecting to get the same again PLUS such feminist fierceness and intense love. So much depth that I wouldn't be surprised to see it popping up on college syllabi within the next few years. I wish I had literature skills enough to write a proper glowing review, but all I can say is READ IT. :) ...more
Marta
Greenberg’s concept is to tell fairy tales in a way that would have been real to the women in them - women who are subjected, terrorized, blamed by men. The stories are based on folk tales of various cultures, with a Sheherezade-like framing story. The stories are all altered to end badly.

The message is that women’s stories are important, and we should keep telling them. No matter how oppressive is the rule, if enough people know the stories, things can change.

While I give credit to the message
Sophie
Sometimes you're taken by surprise by a book, and it's the most wonderful of feelings. I started this graphic novel expecting a nice little tale, but I ended up crying my eyes out and absolutely loving the art work to bits! ...more
Laura I.
A story about love. And two brave girls who wouldn't take shit from anyone. ...more
Alana
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I liked the empowering messages this graphic novel by Isabel Greenberg has at its core, for me it didn't really offer anything drastically new to the already crowded genre of retellings of Arabian Nights. I liked the quirky footnotes and the actual book itself is beautiful. I just felt like something was missing, I didn't feel fully invested in the story and in the fate of Hero and Cherry. That being said, there were individual stories I really liked, my favourite I think was Phases. I thi ...more
Elizabeth A
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphix, 2017
I really liked her first graphic novel, so was looking forward to the publication of this one. It's a beautiful book - the actual book I mean - and the story itself is an Arabian Nights type saga. While I didn't love every one of the stories, I was delighted by the feminist take of these strange fairy tales. The art is folksy and sketchy with wonderful use of color. This is an ode to stories and storytellers, especially women. Delightful. ...more
Kirsty
I would give this six stars if I could. I fully expected to love The One Hundred Nights of Hero before I even began, as I absolutely adored The Encyclopedia of Early Earth, and have seen nothing but four- and five-star ratings. Greenberg gives equal prominence to her words and artwork; her illustrations and turns of phrase are nothing short of stunning, and work so well with one another. The use of colour is perfect, and has been used to great effect. It draws the eye without overwhelming, or ov ...more
Boiling
Mar 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Uncle also read it in Mar 2017.

The art work was okay. The stories were not that engaging. I was not dying to finish them but I read them only because of Uncle's critique of the book and he wanted me to judge for myself.

The blurb on the back says that this is a book about love but the overall theme in the book was pure hate. I could not see the love anywhere.
The entire book was about men vs. women. No cooperation. No kindness. I am not sure how we can spread feminism if we make an entire section
Margaret
This is an awesome graphic novel inspired by the frame story of One Thousand and One Nights. The artwork is dark with one color chosen for each new story. It's bold and memorable. I love the lesbian romance at the center. I LOVE the women's storytelling league, which definitely makes me think about how fairytales were mostly told by women, to entertain themselves while working on all the daily, mundane tasks. I checked this out at the library, but I may need to own it. ...more
Vijetha
Because, stories need to be told (and/or read to) and storytellers are who we need!

Straight up one of the best reads so far this year.

Even if it sounds like I'm borderline overselling this book, I am not. Please read it.
emily
it took me exactly 5 months to finish this lmao

i don't feel like i can actually write a review when i read the last 10 pages 5 months after i started it

nice art
Rachel (rachandbooks)
"Let's form a secret society... A League. The League of Secret Storytellers. We shall tell all the stories that are never told. Stories about bad husbands and murderous wives and mad gods and mothers and heroes and darkness and friends and sisters and lovers... Yes! And above all... stories about brave women who don't take shit from anyone."

I am so obsessed with this book. Oh, my GOODNESS what a magical, beautiful, and powerful story. I'm just in awe of it. And the art. Wow. The art is some of t
Dov Zeller
A beautiful, funny, queer, anti-patriarchal, whimsical, textured, tragic (but tragedy is not lingered on in the world of this book), joyous, victorious, playful retelling of the 1001 nights. Storytellers are heroes (including one named Hero), particularly women who relish, invent and share stories with each other despite attempts by men to silence them--
to keep the women and girls in their lives subdued and uneducated at any cost, even if it means putting them to death. (Love can't conquer death
Sirens Conference: The One Hundred Nights of Hero 1 9 Jan 29, 2018 01:23PM

• When I Arrived at the Castle
  • Geis II: A Game Without Rules
  • A Castle in England
  • Mooncakes
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Spinning
  • The End of Summer
  • Witchlight
  • Greek Myths: Meet the Heroes and Heroines, Monsters and Gods of Ancient Greece
  • Geis: A Matter of Life and Death