Start by marking “The Curse of the Bruel Coven” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Bruel Coven

Read Book

The Curse of the Bruel Coven

When secrets from the past collide with the present, the consequences may be deadly.

Vivienne Davenport is an ordinary teenager—at least, she thinks she is. Then the untimely death of her mother reveals a family secret. She's adopted . . . and her real mom is a witch.
The truth only complicates Vivienne's life further. Buried deep within her family’s history of magic is a de
Published June 3rd 2016 by Exit 80 Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Bruel Coven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Bruel Coven

Kirsty McGhie
Vivienne finds out that her mum wasn't her actual mum after she dies and her birth mother was a witch who gave her up for adoption to protect her from the curse on her family.

I often talk about bad pacing in books, more often than not it's too slow but this was just too fast. I had no idea what was going on half the time because it was moving so quickly. I didn't learn much about the characters but suddenly the adventure was already beginning. Ramoth seems to have the same problem that I do when
Coco.V
Oct 31, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on iBooks today (10/31/2018)! 💝
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
I was provided an e-copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Netgalley and Exit 80 Publishing for making this title available to me.

This review can also be found on Bookshelves & Paperbacks.

The Curse of the Bruel Coven by Sabrina Ramoth follows the story of a young high school girl who, after the passing of her mother, learns that she is adopted. With the help of her best friend Savannah, Vivienne is determined to find who her birth mother is and why t
Jenn *loves dragons and wolves*
I received this book for free from LoP in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book! It reminded me so much of the TV series Charmed and that was my favorite show. I can't wait for 2nd book!

Thank you for letting me read your book:)
Amanda
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been up and down deciding which rating I should give this book and since I can't decide between a 3 or 4 I'm giving it a 3.5. The Curse of the Bruel Coven was an extremely easy read and the best way to describe it is short, sweet and to the point. It isn't very long, I finished the entire book in just about 2 hours so if your looking for a quick read to the pass the time this is the book for you. I was immediately intrigued from page 1 and stayed that way throughout the book. However, a con ...more
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
From the moment I started to read this book I knew I was in for a real treat and I loved every single moment of this book. Vivienne is a young adult who has tragically lost her mom and lives with her grandmother. She unexpectedly stumbles upon a secret that overwhelmingly changes not only her life but how she sees the world around her.

This author's creative and enlightening writing style swept me away into the magic of the past and the present, of good versus evil and of course witches. Unexpect
Carrie_reads_horror
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a good easy read, the characters were likeable the setting of New Orleans was perfect, it left me waiting for the next instalment as well as wanting to read more witch based books I hope the author writes a second I need to know how the curse can be broken.
Alexis
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun! The characters are so dynamic and the plot left me wanting more with every page! Well paced, easy to read, and so descriptive of New Orleans that I want to book a trip. I really hope the author writes more soon because I'm hooked!
Trisha
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
"From North to South and East to West. Show us the path to our request."

This was a cute story about a young girl discovering she is a witch. But it was a bit too close to a certain series that was on t.v. and a whole series but another author. I know witch stories can only be so new but it just felt too similar for me to love it.

Getting to know Vivi's new family and the dynamics of the siblings, cousins and adults was interesting. Loved grandma. But I don't plan to continue the series.
Bryony Nelson
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I actually enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. I don't normally read witch/vampire books but this was a great read.

Vivienne was a brilliant character who I really felt for throughout the book. I also loved how open and accepting Mira and Grand'Mere were to her.

I thought the plot was brilliant and it was really fun being in this world. My only issue with the book is that I wish some scenes had more description so you can imagine what is happening a little better but in under 20
Leanne
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings about this one.
I really enjoyed the idea of the story and some sections of it were really quite engrossing BUT it was badly written, not particularly well developped and repetitive.
I know this is a YA read and I'm pushing 40 years old but even if i miraculously regressed 25 years i would still be critical of the same issues, maybe even find them degrading. It feels as though the author has skipped all the filler just so she can get on to the drama. Id be happy to let my 9 year old
Kimberly Spanton
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Good

I really liked the story, but kind of felt that it was a little rushed. It was like one scene jumped to another without very much transition in a few places. It want bad enough to keep me from wanting to read the next book, but just enough to take a star off for the review.
Sigourney
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Received from NetGalley for review.

Quick disclaimer: this is by no means a brilliantly written book, but it is fun and easy and that ultimately won me over in the end. Don’t expect too much action or character development, but it is an entertaining little read.

The Curse of the Bruel Coven centres around Vivienne, who discovers that her birth mother is a witch, and so is she (try not to cringe too hard at how quickly she masters her powers *eye roll*). It’s set in New Orleans and the descripti
Beth Hammond
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Secrets, Love, Magic, and a Twist!

So you start this book and think it seems simplistic. Well written no doubt, but it feels easy to follow, easy to slip into like a blanket while clutching a warm cup of coffee in your hands. And then the layers start to unfold. It doesn’t make the blanket any less comfortable, or the coffee less tasty. But perhaps the coffee gets a splash of nip. Yea!

The modern day setting is interesting and I love watching Vivi discover the secrets hidden from her. But it’s th
Kathleen Stebbins
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Thank you to the author and to Exit80 Publishing for the arc copy in exchange for a review.

I have finished reading the book today, and I really enjoyed the story. It reminds me of the TV show The Secret Circle, but so much better. I love reading about Witches, there's so many directions it can go in and that's part of the fun. Vivi made for a believable character, she is just a girl living in a small town doing nothing extraordinary, but her world is falling down around her, as her mothers died
Katie Cross
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Wasn't sure if it would just be another retelling of another witchy story, but I actually found it to be extremely original and not at all dull. Quick read. Fast paced. The setting was awesome, well established. It was witchy, magical awesomeness.

Appropriate for any age. Double bonus.
Constance Burris
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great, witchy plot. It took a while for me to bond with the characters, though. The beginning was a bit too fast.
Andrea Stoeckel
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something Wicca this way comes

What happens when High School student Viviane come face to face with a past everyone's been trying to keep her safe from. From student to coven circle leader and first born of the generation, and therefore destined for leadership, Viviane’s initiation into the family Coven is full of choices. Question is, will she make the right ones?

Reading like "Charmed" meets "Dawson's Creek", this story jumps generations, uses people places and things to make change happen. Ques
Marty Tool
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast paced young adult book. Vivienne learns early in this book she's not exactly who she has always thought she was. Yet nobody wants or will answer her questions as she seeks those answers. I really liked this book, my negative views are how fast she throws information at us. Many characters thrown at us without an explanation of who they are, eventually we might find out, but it brings you out of the story flow. Wish it had gone a bit longer and gave us more, but I will read the next book for ...more
Amber
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Talk about an extremely fast paced book, that will keep you reading in the long hours of the night.
Seventeen year old Vivienne has just lost her mom, but as she goes through some of her mom's belongings she finds out that she was adopted. After locating her real mom, Vivienne and her friend set out to meet her. After the visit with her real mom doesn't go as planned, Vivienne leaves but soon finds out her mother was kidnapped.
Genelle Themann
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Memories from the Civil War show a love lost and a monster created. How does that have anything to do with a current high school senior in Thibedeau? This is an amazing story about how things can get so twisted that you never know who the good guys, er witches, are and who might be the actual enemies. Hang on tight for a great ride with lots of twists and turns, love won and love lost, and families who may actually help you be who you were meant to be.
I was provided a free copy of this book, and
Donna
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bewitching

A bewitching tale. What happens when you find out everything you thought you knew wasn't quite what it seems? Vivienne Davenport grew up in a small Louisiana town with an ordinary life. After her mother dies, Vivienne accidentally finds out she was adopted as a child. Those who know won't tell her the truth, so Vivienne decides to find out on her own. Join her in her quest and learn the secrets of her past and possibly her future. A fun read.
Attia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing was not the best however, the plot moved along so quickly the writing kind of fell by the way side. I appreciate this is a young adult novel - but it is up against stiff competition such as The Hunger Games, Garth Nix's Sabriel/Lirael series, Phillip Pullman et al - all of whom write young adult fiction and write amazingly well. That said, there was enough to keep me reading and I may even consider reading another in the series as clearly there will be more to come.
Nicole Porter
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cecilia Jones
Light read

I want to like this book and I do like the premise of it. The back story isn't really well defined though and so much of what happens related back to it. I suppose it's so it will draw you into the series and want to know more. In a way it did that for me but not enough to run to get the next in the series. It was a good light read for a rainy weekend.
Lauren
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ending

The ending is terrible. Everything leads us to the answer we are looking for and it's just dropped at the end. I hoped that meant there was a "book 2", but there's not. Disappointed.
Maria Vermisoglou
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Very good book. It was kind of refreshing to read about covens and not one witch alone. Well-written and the illustrations inside the book make it even more beautiful. If you want action along with magic and some intense feelings, this is the book for you.
Alex Latham
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 49 complete.
Rochelle
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good! Ill have to see if there are any more books that follow the Bruel coven.
Deserthomemaker
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I’m taking away a star because nothing is really resolved in the end.

• The Saint and the Sorcerer
  • Abby & Sei Thriller Starter (Abby Kane FBI Thriller/Sei Assassin Thriller)
  • The Girl With The Gun (The Sydney Rye Mysteries #8)
  • The Twisted Path: A Twenty Palaces Novella (Twenty Palaces #3.5)
  • Six Weeks with a Lord
  • Sketch a Falling Star  (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #3)
  • Cursed by the Fountain of Youth (An Unnatural States of America Book)
  • The Path to Otherwhere: or How I Spent My Summer Vacation (The Federal Witch, #4.5)
  • The Cutting Room Floor
  • High Lonesome
  • The Seventh
  • Pixie Noir (Pixie for Hire, #1)
  • Extra Sensory Deception (Raven's Nest, #4)
  • By the Book
  • Jace's Trial (Trials in Abingdon #1)
  • Beyond the Sun (Dark Order of the Dragon, #1)
  • Night Visions (Night Series)
  • Horseman (The Hollow #1)