Start by marking “The Priory of the Orange Tree” as Want to Read:
The Priory of the Orange Tree

The Priory of the Orange Tree

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A world divided.
A queendom without an heir.
An ancient enemy awakens.

The House of Berethnet has ruled Inys for a thousand years. Still unwed, Queen Sabran the Ninth must conceive a daughter to protect her realm from destruction—but assassins are getting closer to her door.

Ead Duryan is an outsider at court. Though she has risen to the position of lady-in-waiting, she is loy
Expected publication: February 26th 2019 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Priory of the Orange Tree, please sign up.
Samantha Shannon PRIORY is a self-contained story and absolutely works on its own, but this world has more tales to tell . . . I'd love to return to it.
Samantha Shannon Hi! We don't have an official release date yet, as I haven't finished the manuscript. I'm aiming to complete it by the end of this year.

Samantha Shannon
May 29, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hiiiii, Goodreads.

This is my new book. I'm thrilled to finally be able to tell you more about it.

The Priory of the Orange Tree is an epic fantasy set in a world that is both like and unlike ours. I've been working on this book since 2015, and I've fallen in love with this setting and these characters. I can't wait for you to meet Ead, Tané, Sabran and the others – I hope you'll enjoy reading their story as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

I'm just popping in to let you know that there is a glos
Cait • A Page with a View
Oh my goodness, that was the definition of an epic fantasy. It was 800+ pages and I could barely lift the ARC to read properly, but none of that page time was ever wasted, SO much is packed into this story... the scope is seriously huge.

I have no clue where to even begin at explaining the plot, but maybe that's not really necessary here. I'll just say if you're looking for a diverse, feminist high fantasy story with some truly impressive worldbuilding, then definitely check this out.

It did tak
Alexa
Jan 19, 2017 marked it as to-read
FINISH YOUR OTHER 7 BOOK SERIES BEFORE STARTING ANOTHER ONE!

Still psyched for this one, tho.
Melanie
May 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
🐉 Preorder Swag: Receive a exclusive signed poster! (This offer is only available to USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. And offer only available until February 26th, 2019!)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
OH MY FCKING GOD ITS ACTUALLY LIKE HOLY PERFECTION and also nothing like I predicted but better than I could’ve dreamed?

Cover reveal tomorrow, kids - if I go awol I’ve probably died on a backroad somewhere due to shock

So this is apparently around 260k words and I am ready to EMBRACE IT! Also DRAGONS?! EASTERN AND WESTERN INFLUENCES?!

*screams continuously into eternity*

2019 is gonna be a good year for books, take me now

Okay I've realised I'm more likely to be knocked out by the thickness o
Syd (deertales)
holy world building batman.

the priory of the orange tree was an amazingly epic read - both in storytelling and page count. it was an awesome adventure of a story and i seriously cannot wait to grab myself the physical copy (and the map) when it comes out so i can revisit some scenes and characters over and over again.

the characters! there is such an amazing and diverse cast of characters here, in age, gender, sexual orientation and backgrounds. some i loved, some not so much. but they all served
Lauren Elizabeth

A WORLD DIVIDED. A QUEENDOM WITHOUT AN HEIR. AN ANCIENT ENEMY AWAKENS.

This book completely destroyed me.

I would first off like to mention that I have not read author Samantha Shannon’s international-bestselling series The Bone Season but if those books are just as well written as The Priory of the Orange Tree, then I will most definitely check those out as soon as I can. I knew going into The Priory of the Orange Tree that it was a highly anticipated read for many epic fantasy fans but I had lit
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I'd read an almost 900 page book, but surprisingly, this moved pretty fast! It was a satisfying standalone and honestly, it's like a YA trilogy all in one book so you can binge read it right away. In a world of too many fantasies, Priory really stands out, which is tough to do. This is my first read from Samantha Shannon, and she really impressed me. All of the characters are very unique and easy to tell apart because they are three dimensional and very different in cultural back ...more
Amy
Jun 01, 2018 marked it as to-read
THIS COVER IS EPIC. I AM SHOOK.
Andrew (BritBookBoy)
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-2018
This was spectacular from start to finish.
Giovanna
May 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
I mean, I will probably read this, but like, I would like to see her 7 books series (with one book coming out every five thousand years) go on first? I am kinda losing interest in it and this is a...900 pages book with a kinda generic plot...
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
By Samantha Shannon so it’s already pre-ordered, but have you seen the gorgeous cover?? 😍
Kaisu
Aug 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
I follow Samantha Shannon on Twitter and she's been talking about this book a lot lately, so I thought I would check it out.

AND OMG. A world divided by a war between motherfucking dragons??? SOUNDS BRILLIANT. SAY MORE. TAKE MY MONEY.

It's also planned to be a standalone, but apparently she's having trouble with the length of the novel, so it might become a duology instead. But, I mean, who cares??? DRAGONS, GUYS.
Adriana
May 09, 2016 marked it as to-read
Por un lado es como "Qué haces, Shannon, deberías estar escribiendo las continuaciones de la Era de huesos, que son siete libros y no te veo por la labor".

Pero por el otro lado es como " ay, nuevo libro de Samantha Shannon!! Con dragones!! Y autoconclusivo!! DAME."
rebecca ɤ
Apr 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
I NEED THIS BOOK WITH MY ENTIRE BODY AND SOUL OMGGG
Twixie
Aug 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
HOST se toho zHOSTil a ta bichle bude u nás přeložená, jupí jej!
carnovalesque
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
first of all this cover owns my heart

also this book is nearly NINE HUNDRED pages and i don't know how i feel about that
Dawn Abron
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
So this book is 850 pages and I believe it is meant to be a stand alone. It had an ending so I'm assuming this is the case. On to my review.

There are four main characters and they are all in different parts of this fantastic world (I wish a had a map.) I really enjoyed this because you didn't have to spend too much time with one character before you were transported into a different landscape with a different character. Our four characters were well developed and had a complete arc but there
Lauren [DontGoBrekkerMyHeart]
[No Spoilers]

To start off this review I just want to say Samantha Shannon really put her all into this series. I’ve always been impressed by her writing and characters, but this world truly obliterated me in the best way possible.
Second thing. The amount of diversity in this story- sexuality, race, age- is ASTOUNDING. It is beautiful, and I was squawking the entire time with joy. There’s nothing as perfect as a diverse fantasy book, and Samantha brought it ALL.
Third aspect. The world building.
Leighann Higgins
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve finally finished this beast of a book. The Priory of the Orange Tree is a huge epic fantasy novel that intertwines multiple different perspectives into one grand tale. If I had to sum it up, I’d say it’s like a Game of Thrones (but actually with dragons) meets Mulan with a touch of Samantha Shannon uniqueness that I’ve always been fond of in her fantasy writing. I nabbed an early ARC of this at Book Expo a couple of months ago and have dedicatedly been immersed in this world for the past su ...more
Chloe
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

I was hooked on this book when I heard it was about a Queendom and ancient enemies awakening. It's said it be an epic high fantasy novel about dragons. And boy oh boy does that sound right up my alley.

This story is seeped in legend, which contributes to it's significant length (over 800 pages!). There are also long and complicated titles for lots of people, which was jarring at first. When you pull back all the legends and fancy names, you are left with a pretty basic story. I think I was expect
Samantha Beard
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall 5 stars
Plot/Pacing: 4 stars
Character: 5 stars
Dragons/Draconic Beings: also 5 stars.

Full review coming soon to my blog, rest assured this is an epic fantasy you don't want to miss. Well worth the time. Feels simultaneously familiar and fresh all at once.
Mekiah Johnson
I need this!!! It sounds really good and the release date is soooo far away!!! February 29th 2018!?! Aaaaaah! Well, I can wait I guess. Plus, that cover is beautiful!
Rachel
May 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Wasn't really a fan of her The Bone Season, but I read on Twitter that this is a "diverse feminist retelling of the legend of St. George and the Dragon, intertwined with Japanese mythology" that "combines Eastern and Western dragon folklore, alchemy, piracy, courtly intrigue and sixteenth and seventeenth century history" with possibly talking dragons. Which sounds cool. So definitely putting it down as something to check out.
Iryna Khymych
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Adri
May 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
THE COVERRRRRRRR *flailing*
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
A LONG-ASS BOOK ABOUT DRAGONS? WRITTEN BY SAMANTHA SHANNON?

UM, THIS WAS OBVIOUSLY WRITTEN FOR ME. *LAUNCHES SELF THROUGH TIME TO 2019*
Evie
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned, reviews
wow. just wow.

I LOVED it!!! If I'm honest, going into it I was a bit skeptical: one, because the bone season was so amazing that I didn't think it could be topped as I knew I had high expectations of Shannon, and, two, because it's really really long and with long books I sometimes struggle to feel motivated to read, especially at the beginning. However, luckily my worry was misplaced.

There were so many things I loved about this book but I think it also helped that I read an arc of it meaning I
Katie
holy shit this cover...!!!!!!
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
My local bookseller hunted me down, sprang on me, and said, "You HAVE to get an ARC of this! It's amazing!"

What can I do? I shall try.
  • Lifel1k3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
  • The Apocalypse Guard (Apocalypse Guard, #1)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Queens of Innis Lear
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
Samantha Shannon studied English Language and Literature at St. Anne’s College, Oxford. The Bone Season, the first in a seven-book series, was a New York Times bestseller and the inaugural Today Book Club selection. Film and TV rights were acquired by the Imaginarium Studios. The Mime Order followed in 2015 and The Song Rising in 2017.

Her next novel, The Priory of the Orange Tree, will be publish