Start by marking “Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #1)

Ancient Magic

(Dragon's Gift: The Huntress #1)

I’m good at two things: finding treasure and killing demons. Lying low is a close third—but not because I want to be good at hiding. I have to be. I’m a FireSoul, one of the unlucky few to inherit a piece of the dragon’s soul. Being born with the dragon’s covetousness should be a sweet gig - I have the power to find and steal any type of treasure, including the powers of o ...more
Published April 6th 2016 by Bonnie Doon Press

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Magic, please sign up.
Ezra Red. It's on page 11 in the Kindle for Android version.

Start your review of Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #1)
Denisa
1.5
You know that feeling when you read something so good that you can't find the words to describe it? Well, I just found out that it's the same thing when you read something awful.

Good part? Why 1.5 and not 1 star? The idea was pretty good, I loved the fact that there's a supernatural who, if killing someone, can steal their powers. It could have been soo so interesting! But yeah... At least the book was pretty short.

There are some minor mi
Marta Cox
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
I've been a fan of this authors Mythean Arcana series so spotting this new urban fantasy departure had me sitting up and taking notice. It's fair to say it's not as romance based as previous books by the author but actually that makes no difference at all because it's all about the storytelling and the characters that are introduced.
Three young girls wake up alone and with no memory of how they came to the place they find themselves . A strong feeling of impending danger has them fuelled by the
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
**Read as a Prime Reading book.

Ancient Magic is book one in the Dragon's Gift: The Huntress series by Linsey Hall. This is my first taste of Ms. Hall and I enjoyed! Ancient Magic was a good introduction to the world and characters.

We are treated to a lot of different magic, shifters, creatures, and mixes. Cass, Nix and Del are rare FireSouls with the ability to steal powers and if discovered they would be imprisoned. They have been hiding from something or someone and the world for 10 years now, but that’s about to changebook.
Ancient
Kahea
Linsey Hall’s The Mythean Arcana is one of my favorite paranormal romance series out there. The characters and world she has created always send me down the rabbit hole for some much needed time away from real life issues. So, when she announced that she was starting up a new urban fantasy series I knew I had to get my greedy little hands on it and after finishing it I can tell you that she has what promises to be another great series on her hands!

Cass is the narrator of this adventure and
❆Francesca (Mother of Cats) Selina❆
The magical system is the only cool thing about this book (and I suspect of the whole series).
The writing is monotone, the characters are a caricature of the main stereotypes of the genre, the plot is borderline boring, the world building is too shallow to be engaging, the romance is too insta-lusty and angsty.
My major complain has to do with how much the author drops the word deirfiúr throughout the book (because the three chicks woke up in a meadow in Ireland so of course they must be Iris
Ceira
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how action-packed the book was. There was a lot going on in this new adult/ urban fantasy novel. I am most definitely goint to read the next book when it comes out. I also liked the characters a lot, especially the main protagonists. However, I hope that the writing style will improve as the series goes on. Because - even though it is fast-paced and descriptive - it felt flat sometimes. The world building could get better too and I hope that the characters will get through a b ...more
Kira
Cass and her sisters, Nix and Del, were firesouls. What they were had to remain a secret or they’d be thrown in jail because they had the ability to steal other people’s magic if they killed them. They didn’t want to hurt anybody. They just wanted to live their lives in peace. Aiden, the most powerful shifter alive, asked Cass for her help to find an object that could put her life in danger if in the wrong hands, so she couldn’t refuse the job.

I didn’t get attached to the characters.
Kbrazell
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchy
Ummm... I liked it a good bit. Where's the next book? I need it, my curiosity is a ringing. It was great for a quick fun read.

It started off fantastic, full of mystery. Three girls wake up in the middle of nowhere with no memories except 'Run' 'Hide' 'Firesouls' a supernatural badass that can steal others powers if they kill them ... how can that not pull you in?

It skips to 10 or so years later and how they've built their lives. Little awkward here because there were discrepancies w
Lexie
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-in-series
Siiiiggghhhh...duck. (don't get that reference we obvs didn't grow up on the same cartoons).

Anyhow.

I was moderately interested in the premise of this book. Definitely more interested then not at least. That interest began taking a downward turn barely 5% in because the author is REALLY FOND of having the characters repeat information. Vocal confirmations they were all suffering the same symptoms. Internal dialogue confirmation. External "bad guy" dialogue confirming what
Douglas Meeks
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: This book is free if you are a member of Amazon Kindle Unlimited

I was not sure if I was going to like this or not from the synopsis, it sounded like another YA novel that seems to be where many authors are going these days.

The truth is that is IS pretty much a YA type novel but the story is addicting and the lack of sex/profanity was a welcome change from a majority of what I have to review in the paranormal genre.

The opening scene starts out with three
Ash P Reads
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ash P by: NetGalley
A great new series from Linsey Hall in the making. As with the Mythean Arcana series, Dragon's Gift: The Huntress series promises an array of supernatural beings, danger, thrill action and romance. It is of course engineered to a younger audience but nothing is lacking in the story or how enjoyable the book is. I for one could not put it down in spite of life getting in the way. I know I'm going to be making my teenaged daughter read it.

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.
Feminista
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The premise of the book was interesting, but the book, writing and characters itself aren't very engaging.
T.J. Burns
Ancient Magic is a fun read. Lots of action -- I like action.
It's not too intense -- there is more emphasis on the sexual tension than on any other moral, ethical, philosophical, political, or religious issue...

There is, of course, a mystery -- but that is not in the foreground.

There are three strong, young women. (I’d like to learn more about their relationship in the future).

And there’s a hot guy.

description

The guy is gorgeous. He's more than gorgeous. He's Hollywood, supermodel gorgeous... but twice as powerful. He's
Julie
I received this audiobook from Audiobook Boom in exchange for my honest review.

I'm excited to have gotten a chance to read Ancient Magic because it was just what I needed. A fast-paced, exciting magical romp with kick-ass female characters, and a hot Scot to boot!

Cassie and her friends don't have memories of their youth but know that someone is out for them and that they are a forbidden entity. Oops. But they're not horrible people, really! So they're in hiding, hiding their true na
Kid Disaster
"This is decent beer!" I held it out I front of his face. "Look, right there on the label! It says Blue Ribbon. That means it's good. Blue Ribbons are for winners."

Cass and her sisters Nix and Del don’t know anything about their past. But they do know they have a big secret to keep – they’re FireSouls – and this secret could send them to Magic Prison if anyone finds out. Being a FireSoul gives them the covetousness of a dragon, and they can collect other beings' magical powers by killing them. (Reminded me o
Charity
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the very first book I have read by Linsey Hall, and let me just say that it is definitely not a disappointment. As a matter of fact, I really really enjoyed it. I have always liked the idea of finding treasures in tomes and old places, and the adventures that comes with it. So when I saw that this book includes finding treasures in tomes, I was instantly hooked. Plus, magic is included too. How cool is that? Will definitely read the sequel.
Kaitlyn Davis
Great urban fantasy! I absolutely loved the world, and am already itching to keep uncovering all the different types of magic hinted at in the story. The "dragon" magic was fascinating and completely unique to me, as were a ton of the other types of magic (mirror mages and origins and trackers and demons and just a whole array of awesome powers). The characters were fun, and I can already see all sorts of spin-off adventures following the three girls and the magical shop of artifacts they run to ...more
Jenny
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book from Linsey Hall. And I am so glad that I picked this one for an eARC from Netgalley. The story is so engaging. And I really did not want to put it down but I have a lot of things to finish at work and I can't seem to find time to read. But Yey! I finally got 3 hours of free time and I was able to finish it in record time.

This book is definitely a go, go for those who are into a teens/YA than romance and sci-fi fans. The story line and how Linsey writes is so ea
Jessie Collins
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Magic Dragons Gift: The Huntress Book 1

Linsey Hall

For those who love Romance with a Fantasy, Magic and Historical twist you’ve come the right place!

Linsey Hall has written a dynamite new book to begin a brand new series, called Ancient Magic. This one is all about treasure and seeking treasure or is it? Treasure is usually alluded to be gold, jewels and artifacts. But in this book Treasure could be Animal, Mineral, or even Food. It could even be an anc
Kim
Sep 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-it
Books In Brogan
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-reviews
If I could only describe this book in one word it would be “Sensational!” its well told, well written, and just enough mystery to keep you guessing now we get to wait for the next one.  If you love the Urban Fantasy genre and books like Ilona Andrews's Burn for Me then you will love this one.

Check back here for purchase links  or check out the Linsey Hall's website since I don't see it available to pre-purchase yet.

Check back here for purchase links  or check out the
Linsey Hall's website since I don't see it available to pre-purchase yet.

This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
JadeShea
Ancient Magic begins when Cass gets offered a job by the most powerful shifter in the world, Aiden. Not only does he want a job, but he also wants a date with her. However, she is hiding a huge secret that could not only put herself, but her two best friends in grave danger, and hanging around Aiden could be dangerous for several reasons.

But, she must find this item and destroy it before it is used against her and her friends, that's a lot easier than it sounds. Cass and Aiden set off to find t
Rose Strong (Kljuc za knjigu Book Blog)
I was provided with a copy of this book by its publisher Bonnie Doon Press via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

Doesn't the description of this novel sound perfect? Amazing? Captivating? It certainly does.
But when I started reading the book, I was in for a surprise.

After reading the prologue of this novel, I couldn't wait to read more, but a few pages into the first chapter and I could already feel the change. It's as if the prologue and the rest of the novel were written
Bobbi
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waking up in the middle of no where with no memories except a few words among two other girls that you have no memory of would be horrifying in itself. Then to figure out you have powers that are forbidden would definitely make me want to run and hide. Cass, Nix, and Del become very strong women/sisters in a world that is strange and confusing to them in the beginning then when things start to take a turn and Aidan (The Origin himself) shows up things get even rockier. Cass and Aidan make a team ...more
Cindy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read is in a few hours but I really enjoyed these sassy sisters. This story is in Cass' perspective. She is very strong yet at times unconfident. It's an interesting dichotomy. I really enjoyed how she practically runs from Aiden's pull. She has a stronger will than I would. There is lots of action and much more mysteries than the book can solve.
Anniken Haga
Ok, so I picked up this for free. I've seen it around before that, actually, it's been recommended for me on audible, but I've never used any credits on it, and now I'm glad.

''Ancient Magic'' brought out mixed feelings in me.
I found the premise and story interesting enough, it had some pointers I liked, even if I wouldn't have written them myself.
This was probably the only reason for why I didn't DNF it.
I thought about it so. many. times!

Why, you ask?
Well, I actually had some trouble
Katyana
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fun surprise - I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I thought I'd be getting your typical UF full of all the usual characters and elements, but it played in a much more fun way.

Part of it was the cool Indiana Jones / Tomb Raider vibe, because the heroine Cass hunts ancient magical objects. But I also enjoyed the sibling dynamic with her "sisters" - so many UFs have the heroine as the lone strong female, with no other strong female relationships, so this was
Celeste
I gave this book one star and normally for a one star I'd expect to feel some sort of strong emotion to rate it so low. Unfortunately, I feel nothing, just like the characters in this book. Cardboard cutouts would have more personality. The world building was sketchy, confusing and incomplete. There are plot holes and contradicting actions and it was just a mess.

I am hoping that since this is the first book in the series the next book will be better.
Izzie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Not much really happens in this book to be honest, but it was still really good and enjoyable.
There is a slight romance between Cass and Aiden which is obviously going to continue and hopefully develop in the next book.
Kathy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice to read for fun again. Good start to a series as we meet Cass and her two "sisters". All three are magical types who are basically outlawed for their very existence because of their potential, not for their actions. Shades of every "round them up regardless" mentality that humans continue to struggle with in the real world. Sigh. Of course, a hot love interest appears but it wasn't the full on "you're my sole mate even though we met five minutes ago" BS that I hate. So, it was good.

On to t
YA Buddy Readers'...: Ancient Magic by Linsey Hall -- starting April 14th 2016 19 26 May 04, 2016 06:42AM

• Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • The Culling Trials 2 (Shadowspell Academy, #2)
  • The Culling Trials 3 (Shadowspell Academy, #3)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Wyvern's Lair (Desert Cursed Series Book 5)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Coven: Academy Magic #1)
  • The Culling Trials (Shadowspell Academy, #1)
  • Faithless (A Vision of Vampires, #1)
  • Natural Dual-Mage (Magical Mayhem #3)
  • The Wild Witch (The Coven: Academy Magic #3)
  • Natural Mage (Magical Mayhem #2)
  • Magic Touch (Supernatural Bounty Hunter #3)
  • Live Fae or Die Trying (The Paranormal PI Files #1)
  • The Fallen Witch (The Coven: Academy Magic #2)
  • Witchy Orders (Witches of Shadow Lane #2)
Before becoming a writer, Linsey was an archaeologist who studied shipwrecks in all kinds of water, from the tropics to muddy rivers (and she has a distinct preference for one over the other). After a decade of tromping around in search of old bits of stuff, she settled down to start penning her own adventure novels and is freaking delighted that people seem to like them. Since life is better with ...more

Dragon's Gift: The Huntress (5 books)
  • Mirror Mage (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #2)
  • Stolen Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress #3)
  • Eternal Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress #4)
  • Infinite Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #5)
“Wimpy coffee? I suppose you drink yours black?” “Black as my heart.” 2 likes
“I couldn’t help but get a tingly sense of desire whenever I saw gold. I’d always feared that if I took some, I’d really turn into a FireSoul, crouched on my horde of gold like Scrooge McDuck.” 2 likes