Start by marking “Days Are Just Packed” as Want to Read:
Days Are Just Packed

Days Are Just Packed

(Calvin and Hobbes #8)

A collection of the Sunday paper cartoon strips in which Calvin, the self-proclaimed Boy of Destiny, continues to save the universe with his alter egos, Spaceman Spiff and Stupendous Man--until Miss Wormwood or his mother bring him back to reality. Full color.
Published September 7th 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Days Are Just Packed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days Are Just Packed

Start your review of Days Are Just Packed
Swrp
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There's Venus, there's Mars and there's Jupiter.

And I'm stuck here."

A delightful and light-hearted read, particularly for these strange, uncertain and despairing times!

Blurb:
The Days are Just Packed is the eighth book in the Calvin and Hobbes printed collection. It was released in 1993 and includes the strips from April 1991 to November 1992. It is the first Calvin and Hobbes book to display the Sunday strips horizontally (due to the format switch).

The title comes from a comic strip in which Ca
Brian
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"I just called to let you know it’s a perfect day outside."

“The Days Are Just Packed” simply confirms for me something I already knew. Bill Watterson is a genius. And that is not an understatement. He is a great writer (he could have written novels, as the text to these comics makes clear) a wonderful storyteller and an amazing visual artist! I appreciate him more and more every time I return to Calvin and Hobbes, because they hold up so well.
This collection has many highlights, among them a sto
Book Worm
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of wisdom should be in every English teacher's bookshelf. It is full of philosophy, interesting play on words, wit and humour.
Nary a year goes by when I don't use it in my lessons. It has been my companion for over ten years now and is quite tattered now. I simply love this compilation.
Cory
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this as an adult was revelatory. Of what, I can't exactly say. But I was at a friend's home, in a strange city that will soon be my home, and I couldn't sleep. I picked up this book, and realized that it really isn't meant for children. Or, at least, not just for children. I read all of Watterson's books when I was a kid, and I now know how much I missed, and how much I absorbed. ...more
Melissa McShane
Dec 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, humor
I think I finally have all the Calvin and Hobbes collections in some form. I know I've read this one before, but it must be thirty years ago, because it has in it the one strip I've never forgotten, where Calvin comes up with a short poem rhyming "hors d'oeuvre" with "nerve." My husband used this example (I do not remember why) in an English paper back in college, and it was one of those classes where the students had to share and critique with a small group, because THAT will ever end well. And ...more
Nick
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So good! Read it. You will be glad you did.
Jake
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
This is the first Calvin & Hobbes book I've purchased since elementary school. Back then, my parents would give me an allowance whenever the Scholastic Book Catalog was passed around the classroom and I would almost always buy a Calvin & Hobbes collection. My parents encouraged me to read something of value when I could, so they'd talk me out of sticker books and lesser kid titles like Captain Poopbutt & His Wacky Goof Smile Crew or some shit. This was fine, since I always tried to read at a hig ...more
Meagan
Aug 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic! I love how I get different and more things out of C&H both every time I read it as well as while I age. Truly written for both kids and adults. Masterful.
Laura Harrison
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The shock I felt upon learning Bill Watterson was discontinuing his Calvin and Hobbes series has never left me. I needed those comics. They weren't just funny they were touching and so very clever. Today's comics and graphic novels have not come close to the feelings, emotions and intelligence Watterson was able to convey in a few short panels. Hopefully Watterson will return to us in full force. The world needs him more than ever. ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
When you're trying to alleviate daily stress allow Calvin and Hobbs to provide pure joy into your life! I laughed out loud on buses, subways, coffee shops, and park benches. I felt wonderful and that's what it's all about. All Hail, Bill Watterson! ...more
Rosh
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calvin, the “Boy of Destiny”, makes a return to mayhem with this action packed volume. Featuring most of the usual suspects such as Ms. Wormwood, Susie, Stupendous Man in addition to the fab trio of Hobbes, and Calvin’s Mom and Dad. I missed Rosalyn in this one. A Calvin book feels incomplete without his troubling his babysitter.

Lydia Wright
Aug 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore these comics. Always good for a rainy day:)
kanda
Dec 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unlike most things, this is so much funnier now that I'm old enough to understand capitalism ...more
PurplyCookie
From spaceships and interplanetary hideous monster beasties, to creeping around the backyard the fun is never in short supply.

These witty comics about the 6-year old Calvin and his stuffed tiger Hobbes, named after the famous philosophers, will amuse people of all ages. The perceptiveness and humor of Watterson deserve the highest of cartoon awards, while his artistic creations exude hilarity. This cartoon is perhaps one of the most piercing yet funny critiques of modern society.

This book is exc
Jonny
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin: Bugs fly in such crazy loops and zigzags. I wonder why they don't get dizzy and barf.
Hobbes: Maybe they do!
Calvin: Eww, gross! Ha ha ha! But then why would they keep flying that way?
Hobbes: Maybe bugs like to barf!
Calvin:Ewww! They would!! Ha ha ha ha! Blaugh!
Calvin: I tell you Hobbes, it's great to have a friend who appreciates earnest discussion of ideas

Just pure dead perfection. Ideal stress relief.
Judy
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
-,-
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-manga
Humorous. Witty. Interesting. Insightful. Hilarious.
There is nothing as good as this series. I would like to read this every month.
Garima Bajpai
Jun 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes are simply the best.
Nihal Lele
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, comics
The Days are Just Packed is a book that has many comic strips of Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin and Hobbes is one of the most widely read comics, and this book contains some brilliant and comedic drawings of this comic.

This book tells the adventures of Calvin and his soft toy/ real friend Hobbes, a tiger. Most of the time, Calvin asks impossible questions related to existence and human biology. This often leads Calvin to get scolded or some irrelevant answers. Hobbes is always supporting Calvin and
Kasen
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this one too. Some of them I vaguely remeber reading some of them, and my mother told me that we used to own it (personally I think we borrowed it) and that she doesn't know what happened to it. I was showing my dad it and he laughed at some of them and when I left it in the car and went to go get something with my mother, he was reading it, he tried to put it back on my seat before I got back, but he was intensely reading a strip. I took it from him and read the last of it. It was ...more
Michael
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the 1st C&H book I read. My best friend was home on leave (US NAVY) & left it at my apt. I picked it up and could not put it down. This is a laugh out loud funny book.
For a book to make me laugh out loud when I am by myself... that is FUNNY!! If this doesn't make you laugh, then you have NO sense of humor. Some are so funny you will cry. Highly recommend!
Exina
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The loveliest cover of all! The back cover is so sweet too!

From this volume my favorites are the time travel stills, when three Calvins are present at the same time. And I love the snow sculptures that brightly show Calvin’s genius.
Aaron
How can you go wrong with Calvin and Hobbes?

175 pages of fun and philosophy, told through the eyes and imagination of a six year old and his pet tiger. I don't think you can go wrong starting Calvin and Hobbes with any volume, and this is definitely a good place to start.
Liaken
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
My review for all Calvin and Hobbes books is this:

When you need to relax and laugh, this is a great place to go. Watterson is insightful, hilarious, and very, very funny. Highly recommended.

I grew up on C&H, and I'm very glad I did.
Dan
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes books are great fun and really witty humor! A childhood staple comic book for me, but even now I go back and read them and understand the humor on a different level (now that I know the meanings of some of the words!). Great books.
Evan Dresser
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover says it all, but I will say more, anyway. Calvin and Hobbes explores thought and emotion in a way very few comics ever have. And it's the dream of still being a kid in an adult world. And it's just great. ...more
Mary Catelli
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, comic-strips
An allusion to summer. There are other days, of course, where various ploys do not get him out of homework, the valiant attempt to get the story he is meant to write by time traveling, and a good number of gag-a-day comics.
Carol
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurray for laughter! Our family really loves Calvin and Hobbes. Some cartoons are just too true to real life; somehow that makes them hilarious.
Charles
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A cartoon book of course. What can I say? I love me some Calvin and Hobbes.
Sarah Rose
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always learn something new from Calvin, Hobbes, Suzy, and the parents. Always good for a laugh too!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Enormously FoxTrot
  • FoxTrot: The Works
  • Garfield Gets in a Pickle: His 54th Book
  • Adoption Stories: Excerpts from Adoption Books for Adults
  • The Complete Big Nate: #18 (AMP! Comics for Kids)
  • Anjo da Morte (Os Karas, #3)
  • The Complete Far Side, 1980–1994
  • Garfield at Large: His First Book (Garfield, #1)
  • Genius Mode (Big Nate)
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1: 1980-1982
  • Nightlight: A Parody
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling (Calvin and Hobbes #2)
  • Yukon Ho! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)
  • Weirdos from Another Planet! (Calvin and Hobbes #4)
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (Calvin and Hobbes #5)
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons (Calvin and Hobbes #7)
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (Calvin and Hobbes #9)
  • There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)
  • It's a Magical World (Calvin and Hobbes #11)