Start by marking “The Blue Roan Child” as Want to Read:
The Blue Roan Child

The Blue Roan Child

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  420 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
An epic adventure of love, trust, magic, and a very special friendship between a brave young girl and a remarkable horse.

Syeira lives in Haysele, a land of horses and horse-sensitives. Fate pairs her with the wild mare Arwin when Arwin’s two colts are taken from her, and Syeira decides to help Arwin rescue the colts. Their mission proves harder than they imagined, for the
Published April 13th 2004 by Seal Books (first published 2002)

dimblethum
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book sometime in elementary school I want to say, and I just never read it. I found it at the beginning of the year and decided that I was finally going to sit down and conquer it and I'm very glad I did. It's a wonderful story of a girl who lost her mother and was raised in a stable, so she has a great connection with horses. There's a wild mare and two colts that are kept in the stable she frequents and one day the colts are stolen and the girl must team up with the wild mare to ...more
Topaz Goold
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight to read. The most powerful aspect was the vivid imagery Findlay incorporated into every page. Syeira was a thoroughly imagined character. Her connection to the horses was palpable. I find it hard to believe that Jamieson knew nothing about horses before writing this story.
As for pace, the story moves along slowly but an intricate story is woven and that makes it all worth it. It never gets boring and everything that happens to Syeiara connects with her past, present an
Elena
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even a horse person but I LOVED this book? I read it years ago but it haunted me, I kept going back and getting it at the library again and again. It's such a weird and unique story. I loved the idea of the Horse charm man, and this idyllic land of Arva, and the mysterious winged horses that you never truly see. Some of it was freaky and dark, which offset the plucky-horse-girl part of it nicely.

Easy to read for anybody above like, fourth grade probably. It did end abruptly, but I kind
Nowlin
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time starting this book because I had just finished reading a very difficult work of literature, and it was hard to get back to reading something fun and adventurous. But once I got started, I couldn't stop. Action packed from beginning to end, this incredible page turner about a girl and her horse is certainly a memorable read. Although the pace is a little too fast, I enjoyed this book more than most other fantasy stories I've read. This book was fun, it was emotional, and it was ...more
Chelsea
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at Big Lots back when I was probably like 13 or 14. I picked it up because I thought the cover looked interesting. As soon as I started reading it I couldn't put it down. A beautiful tale of trust and friendship between a lonely but brave girl and a horse. I'm 19 now and I still read and love this story. Never gets old. It's too bad this book wasn't very popular. I wish the author wrote more books.
Zoom
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
If I were an 11-year-old horse lover with a taste for fantasy-adventure, I might love this book.
Adessa Leibfried
This was a really good book about this girl and horse who are unseperatable. They look for the mares baby twin foals and they are on a missionto get the foals back. They are tricked and desieved. They make friends along the way. They even create a war and end it. This is an exciting book. Read if you dare.
Leia
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike any horse book I've ever read. The writing is ethereal and at the same time wholly grounded in the world Findlay has created.
Helen
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely magical, and a must-read for any young teen with a passion for reading. I have had this book for many years and even though I may have outgrown the horsey books, the twenty something year old me cannot help but take down this book for another read.

This book has powerful imagery and imaginative language. Syeira is an interesting character that I would love to be, with some amazing connections to horses. The storyline isn't too complex for the young reader, however the text
Elentarien
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Picturesque and engrossing.

My only real complaint about the story is it seemed to end very abruptly, begging for a sequel or something that would end it a bit more gently.

I also had a complaint about the writing in the sense that the author kept on saying that the horse and girl 'rode' here, and 'rode' there. Which really got to me. The horse was *NOT* riding. The girl was riding, but 'they' did not 'ride' anywhere. The horse was running and doing all the work. It was not ou
Faith
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Syeira is an orphan girl who lives and works in a stable. Her favorite horses are the Arva horses. One day Arwin's colts our taken by Lord Ran. Syeira decides to help Arwin get her colts back. " To the end of her life, to the last of dream of old age, she would always remember these two wild smells-the Arva horse, the muddy river-and how they had carried her out of a lonely childhood" (Findlay 12).

Reasons why I liked this book-

Reason 1- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was
Emily LOVES ya
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am truly surprised at the ratings of this book. I had to read it for a drama exam, and I hated every word of it. I banged my head against the wall repeatedly whilst reading this droning, mellodramatic excuse for a "fantasy page-turner". I found the main character a bit of a Mary-sue, and all the other characters were un-developed, leaving them flat and boring. The plot dragged on and on and on...Nothing happened to keep me reading( if I had a choice). A real dissapointment, I'm sorry to say...
Hanni
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was torn between 3/4 stars on this book, because while I did like it, in some places it felt like the author was trying to fit too many stories/concepts into one. The subplots were intriguing throughout, but at the end I felt almost cheated when they were either ignored or wrapped up too quickly. Some of the language was quite beautiful, though-- describing the two colts at the beginning "They walked as though they could breathe through their skin."
Liz Yardley
I enjoyed the plot although I felt as if the Quest went on too long and the ending was too sudden.
It is well-written with interesting characters each representing something we need to learn about human nature. It is a book you can put down and come back to continue reading. For reasons above, I couldn't read it all in one sitting. I'd be very interested in seeing what Findlay writes next.
Kaitlin
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can still picture the exact spot that this book resided in the Regency Square Library, and I can remember pulling it off the shelf and deciding to take it home. Beyond that, I remember only that I loved it. I'm sure a book about a girl raised with horses immediately captured my imagination, because I was obsessed with horses. I definitely need to read this again!
Madison H.
I loved how this was written! It was like I could see and smell everything! Wonderful wonderful! But what I didn't like was that all the women are good and all the men are either dumb or evil. But everything else was lovely!
Alexandra
A very easy read about a girl and near, if not, magical connection to her horse. The conflicts resolve easily but not boringly and the whole book, while about an adventure, finds it's strength in it's characters and their individual tales.
Virginia
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
this was exciting and soulful and lovely. wonderful storytelling with lots of twists that were a little odd, but not forced:) If as his notes say, he didn't know anything about horses before writing this, he sure learned well:)
Livvy
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blue Roan Child is an interesting book as it is set in a mystical world with weird people and freaky places. It concentrates on one girl and it shows that everyone can do whatever they want to do.
Fiona
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was younger and going through my horse stage, but even if I didn't like horses so much I'm sure I would have still loved this story with the magic and adventure. A beautifully spun story.
Megan
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Definitely recommend to any fantasy lovers and horse lovers out there.
Megan Gant
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book, I have read it twice now. There are many nail-biting scenes! I just couldn't put down the book!!!
Leanna
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A warm-hearted epic of a relationship between human and horse. Some very interesting folklore and magic charms. Very creative world. A fun, light read!
Angela
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me, a gem.
Capri
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bromwyn!!!
I love the flow and the images in this book. His writing is beautiful and entrancing. As a horse lover, how could I not like it?
Lia
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
This book has wonderful sensory description for scents. Much of the book is told through the sense of smell, but it never gets old.
Kathryn
An enjoyable children's adventure that could appeal to horse lovers of all ages. It has an exciting storyline, with vivid descriptions to set the scene, and plenty of suspense.
Faith Fishcrazy
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Aside from the word 'damn', this book is a enjoyable read, though a little strange, and rather graphic/bloody. The villans have an obsession with cutting peoples ears of. Some rather dark themes...
Lexi
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I wanted to be when I was younger. An orphan on the run with a horse.
Alyssa
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the BEST that I've read! I LOVEd is sooo much. It might be a little young by now tho. But, its a really good book!
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • Shadow Horse
  • The Challenger (Phantom Stallion, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Strange Weather
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Dark Matter
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Deadmen Walking (Deadman's Cross #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence