Start by marking “The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)

The Watchmaker's Daughter

(Glass and Steele #1)

India Steele is desperate. Her father is dead, her fiancé took her inheritance, and no one will employ her, despite years working for her watchmaker father. Indeed, the other London watchmakers seem frightened of her. Alone, poor, and at the end of her tether, India takes employment with the only person who'll accept her - an enigmatic and mysterious man from America. A ma ...more
Published June 28th 2016 by C.J. Archer

To ask other readers questions about The Watchmaker's Daughter, please sign up.
Jessica Bailey There are a couple of heated scenes, but not actual sexual content. When I say heated scenes, I mean there is non-sexual touching happening which sets…moreThere are a couple of heated scenes, but not actual sexual content. When I say heated scenes, I mean there is non-sexual touching happening which sets her heart racing and she is clearly getting turned on. There is the use of physical terms such as breast, but that is all. It made me slightly uncomfortable and I was worried where it was headed, but it was over quickly and did not go further. I'm honestly not sure why it was even there. Kind of random and the attraction could have been shown in other much better ways. (less)
The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerGraceling by Kristin CashoreBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Objects
202 books — 13 voters
The Watchmaker's Daughter by C.J. ArcherBeast Blood by M.A. LeviMalice by Chris WoodingGator Bait by Adam HoweRising the Beast by M.A. Levi
Hidden Gem Challenge
111 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
Lia
The Watchmaker’s Daughter is a funny, entertaining and sweet novel that, in between the lines, can also be read as a powerful and spirited feminist hymn.

It follows, in fact, the adventures of 27-year-old India Steele, daughter of one of the most prestigious English watchmakers, who’s trying to take her life back in her hands after her father dies and her unscrupulous ex-fiancé calls off the wedding and gets to keep her family’s shop.
In need of a job and a roof over her head, she’ll start worki
Erin
This one was yet another Kindle freebie, and I've learned to be wary of those - as it turns out, with good reason.

When I think about why I disliked this book, at first I couldn't point to anything that was overtly wrong with it. It was just nothing special; there was nothing in there that grabbed me or moved me or made me want to read more. It felt less like an inspired work, and more like the author was checking off a list of things you're supposed to include when you're writing a Victorian fantasy. Heroine wh
Belinda
4,75 - English Ebook 🦋🦋🦋
WoW what a ride this book was. I sure did not like to put it down. Do to tasks I had to do it took me langer than I have wanted. This is a book you want to read in one gasp of air. A Historical mystery with a twist of magic. When you like this type of books this one is surely one for you. 🌹🌹🌹
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I was mislead by the cover & GR shelvings into thinking this was steampunk or at least had a tinge of steampunk, but it's not. This book is however, woodenly written, with unengaging characters and a plot that is just plain odd!

Life is too short and all that.

DNF at 24%
Head in the clouds
I didn't realise this was the first of a series - so when it ended that way I was literally gasping for air -but yay! I can keep reading about this wonderful world. It is nothing super fantastically genius but it has everything you want in a book - adventure, mystery, romance and good characters. Looking forward to reading the next book!
Maggie
This was a 3-star read, I liked it but it wasn't mind-blowing. Still, it left me curious enough to want to continue with this series.

This first book basically set the world and the characters for us, I found the premise interesting but the story got a little bit boring sometimes and the main female character was annoying in some parts. But there was something about this story that made me want to keep reading and I'm curious to know what will happen in the next books. I hope it gets
Rottgrl88
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

What an interesting story. This was my first C.J. Archer book. This was also a buddy read which made it even more enjoyable. The writing style was very engaging and fantastical. The atmosphere was simple yet historical. And that cover, GORGEOUS!!! I was happy because this was looking to be a five star read.
Then I found four grammatical errors/typos. And you know how I feel about those.

I really enjoyed the main character, India Steele. She is independent, confident, strong-willed and at times cheeky!
Hope Sloper
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-enjoyable
I stumbled across this book trolling Amazon for free books one day. I'll admit, I'm a serious sucker for free books, and all because of little gems like The Clockmaker's Daughter; a book that was free, self-published, and very enjoyable. In my experience, those are hard to find.
There was plenty of mystery in this book. Enough that it kept me intrigued and reading. Honestly, there was not one single thing I was disappointed about. The characters were great, all of them. The story was great. Th
Thuan
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf

DNF @ 78%

Started out very intriguing but the book has too many plot holes, plot armor, and flat characters. Then, the heroine developed into a tstl character.

A few obvious plot holes:

1. The heroine, India Steele, is described in the beginning as an uninspiring 27 year-old spinster who has never had any suitor except for the recent fiancé who duped her. Then later, we're told that she's too beautiful to find employment as a governess because the wives are wary that her beauty will seduce their husbands. It's co

Kari Marie
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed listening this. It was different and fun. The side characters make this book for me. I would recommend this book for the rest of the crew. The main characters are sadly not as interesting.
Ron
“Every unattached man is a prospect.”

Shades of Jane Austen. A fun, lightweight Victorian romance with just a touch of magic. No, really, magic. Not really steampunk or paranormal, closer to urban fantasy light.

Engaging story and characters. Paradoxically some of its Englishness seemed off. As an American I’m hardly one to judge, but Archer hails from Australia, so …

Unfortunately, the book stops before the story finishes. A common flaw of contemporary series. I
mina
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
↠ 3-

This book is not a masterpiece but it was so fun to listen to. I finished it in one day because I wanted to see how it all ends and the pages just flew by. As I said it’s not a masterpiece, the story was simple but at the same time it wasn’t smoothly told, it has some bumps that I noticed and didn’t particularly like. It’s a fun read and I’m glad I read it.

Also, calling this steampunk is misleading. There's nothing steampunk-y or maybe since I'm not familiar with that sub-genre I
Loralee
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I grabbed The Watchmaker's Daughter based on the review of a friend and it delivered as promised.
This story is well worth the read. Easy to follow. Well thought out and written characters with rich personality. The pace of each arc within the story helped the characters keep me reading.
Mystery? Check.
Good characters? Check.
No breaking issues? Check.
Thrills and surprises? Check.
I will definitely read the next one in the series.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
Sleepless nights require light entertainment and this did the trick really well. It is sold as steampunk but it is not, I wonder why publishers do that? It will disappoint readers looking for steampunk, leading to bad reviews which have nothing to do with the book. This book is set in Victorian Britain and has a fantasy aspect to it. If I had to assign a genre to it, I would say: Victorian Urban fantasy. Bit of romance. Good female characters. Light, fluffy fun.
Jessica
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It started out awesome and very fast paced. Not sure what happened. Still trying to put the pieces to the puzzle and wondering why they wasted so much on searching. It got nowhere. The guild members acting that way? Why?
Danielle
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A fun read, not really steampunk though
Pinar
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The f*** did I just read? It started out OK, hence the 2 stars and the Goodreads reviews were over the moon with this book so I was excited when I got it as a daily deal. I love historical fiction and I do love a good mystery but this book completely fails at both genres. It felt like the author had a really good synopsis but everything fell apart after the first chapter. None of the characters are believable and the world they move in is totally unplanned chaos. And then it ended like *THIS*.
Plot Monster
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Watchmaker's Daughter has 380 pages and was published in 2016 by C.J. Archer.

Thank you to Amazon and C.J. Archer for the free digital edition of this book that I received in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed in this review belong solely to Plot Monster.

I absolutely adore the cover of this book.

The Watchmaker's Daughter is a fun, quirky read.  I specifically liked the premise of this novel which is noticeably void of any Sherlock-wann
Emma James
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4.25 STARS

I picked this one up as a FREEBIE in July 2018. The ratings are high on Amazon, and the cover is gorgeous. It is still FREE.
There are mixed reviews on this one and I can see all sides, but I personally really loved the characters.
Sure there are a few things that are stopping me giving it 5 stars, but I did very much enjoy the first installment and am looking forward to reading the rest in the series.
A clean read, with maybe a hint of romance to com
Shelby
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Quit the intriguing magical mystery. I look forward to more in this series and to see where Archer takes this cast a quirky characters.
Erin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was nervous going into this one. I just finished C.J. Archer's other series, The Palace of Lost Memories, and I absolutely loved it. I didn't think I would like this one at much. I still prefer her other series, but this one is so good as well! She creates these strong female characters that are seen as weak, but use their intelligence to save the day. It doesn't feel forced, but genuine.

This story follows India Steele whose father has recently died. Her fiance has left her and stolen her fat
Sharon
India Steele is desperate. Her father has died and left the watchmaking shop to India's fiance, Eddie ... who breaks the engagement as soon as he's secured the shop. Despite India's superior skills as a watchmaker, she hasn't been accepted into the Watchmaker's Guild ... because she's a woman. So, when a mysterious American, Matthew Glass, invites her to help him find a particular watchmaker to work on his device -- and to pay her -- she accepts.

Soon, she becomes convinced that Glass
Mari (Smut Duchess)
The characters are interesting the story is fun and a bit quirky and the narrator is excellent. There's just enough paranormal to appeal to me. India Steele's father was a watchmaker and taught her all he knew. The watchmaker's guild and Victorian society don't allow women to own watch shops. When he father dies her fiance inherits the shop and breaks the engagement. Homeless and destitute India meets Matthew Glass, an American who may or may not be a wanted criminal with a rather large bounty o ...more
Elisa
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I have been reading C. J. Archer’s Ministry of Curiosities series and quite enjoying it, so when I saw this for 99 cents on Amazon and read the plot summary, I decided to check it out.
I like the author’s blend of historical fiction, mystery, paranormal and romance, and I like that her female MCs are usually outspoken and independent — though to be honest, they do get “saved” by guys, and I don’t love that, especially because the one doing the saving ends up being the romantic lead.

A
Pankhuri Paliwal
The story was really intriguing and fascinating. Well it's about Mr. glass who wants to find a particular watchmaker for his unique watch which seems to have a mystery related with it and he encounters india Steele there which he later employs to help him find that watchmaker as she herself is daughter of one.
The story is well written and developed .Mr glass and Ms Steele has a sure chemistry among them which can't be missed and also the secret of watch and India too.
Morgan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, for a free Kindle book, this was good. I thought the story was cute & it ended in a spot where I don't have to continue the series if I don't want too... Which I don't right now. I have to many others to read!
Diamond
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book when I first picked this book up I did not think it would be my type of books based on the synopsis. Once I got further into the book I got more into the story. The way that they make the book develop and how the author is always changing what our opinion about the characters' are. I have the second book on it's way to me already so I can read the next book.
Mariana Quesada
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audiobook and loved it. There were so many times my heart fluttered like crazy 😍 That lacking star is because there were a bit of contradictions, but nothing to big.
Violet Stone
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Finished it in one sitting, it's not the best written book but I still found it enjoyable and went on to read the next book.

FRT
Linda
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed listening to this as an audiobook!
Play Book Tag: The Watchmaker's Daughter/C.J. Archer - 3 stars 1 14 May 11, 2018 03:53PM
Fantasy Romancers: My latest favourite author 3 8 Jul 19, 2017 07:57PM

• The Prisoner's Key
  • If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • If She Saw (Kate Wise Mystery #2)
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Murder at Blackburn Hall (High Society Lady Detective Book 2)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)
  • Retribution (Psychic Detective Kate Pierce Crime Thriller #1)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Nocturne for a Widow (Sybil Ingram #1)
  • His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • A Spirited Manor (O'Hare House Mysteries, #1)
  • The Magic Factory (Oliver Blue and the School for Seers, #1)
  • Soulbound (Return of the Elves, #1)
  • The Messiah Conspiracy, Book One
  • Suitcase Girl (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #7; Suitcase Girl Trilogy #1)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the pa

Glass and Steele (9 books)
  • The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2)
  • The Apothecary's Poison (Glass and Steele, #3)
  • The Magician's Diary (Glass and Steele, #4)
  • The Convent's Secret (Glass and Steele #5)
  • The Ink Master's Silence (Glass and Steele, #6)
  • The Cheater's Game (Glass and Steele #7)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele, #8)
  • The Imposter's Inheritance
“It was like comparing chocolate and apples. Both tasted good, yet one was a decadent experience to be savored, and the other something that could be found in every grocer's cart on every corner. I liked both, but I would always choose chocolate over an apple.” 1 likes
“Yet he'd never laughed at the jokes I laughed at. I should have taken that as a sign that he wasn't for me, at the very least.” 1 likes