Start by marking “Pour the Dark Wine” as Want to Read:
Pour the Dark Wine

Pour the Dark Wine

Sixteenth-century Tudor England.

A time of intrigue and chaos, with a country ruled by a cruel and determined monarch. In Henry VIII’s court a rise to favour can easily be followed by a fatal fall from grace.

Four Seymour children of Wolff Hall stand upon Merlin’s Mound, said to be able to grant wishes, and make ambitious claims for their futures.

Edward, the eldest, wishe
Published January 13th 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Pour the Dark Wine, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Pour the Dark Wine
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)

**Lowering my rating to 2 stars because every time I think back on this book the positive things I had about it dwindles. It was rambling, slow, with utterly not plot or arc, and the characters were boring and flat.**

I have been disappointed, I must admit. This started out good, but quickly lost its momentum and became pretty slow. Which is sad, because this had a lot of promise (despite its slightly cringe worthy cover). I have quite a lot of thoughts, so be prepared.

If you know your histo
Denise
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2016
Pour the Dark Wine chronicles the rise and fall of the Seymour family during the reigns of Henry VIII and his only son Edward VI. From childhood until their respective deaths, the book follows the lives of Jane, who became Henry VIII's third queen and mother of his son and heir, Edward, who would rise to become Lord Protector and end up on the scaffold during his nephew's short reign, Thomas, who would marry Henry VIII's widow and engage in a dangerous flirtation with the princess Elizabeth livi ...more
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not sure where to begin with this book, really. While the descriptions claim it is a book on the Seymour family, particularly Jane, the book instead meanders through most of Henry VIII's court with the Seymour's occasionally contributing to the story. As a historical fiction novel with a lot of additional content and stretching of historical facts, I could give the first half of this book a solid 3 stars. It's wordy, but interesting once belief is suspended, and quite possibly a decent historica ...more
Beth Hale
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this book. I tried three times.

While I adore the Tudor era and normally enjoy romance books written in it, this book just didn't engage my interest.

The book seemed to drag, I couldn't connect with the characters, and it seemed at times that the author just dumped a lot of information on the reader.

With all that being said, Lake does have a way with description and shows very intelligent writing. These two things brought this book up to 3.5 stars for me. I will try more b
Helen
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and as good an insight into all the major characters of the Tudor period as I have read. Could not put this book down. But how I feel for everyone alive during these tumultuous years. It wasn’t safe for anyone be you a mere citizen of London or a royal titled person. Both Henry And daughter Elizabeth were monsters. There was nothing Gloriana about these generations. Well done the writers.
Kate Rosenberg
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did enjoy this book, but it had a very strange way of switching point of view without much warning. I think someone must have given the author this information because it gets better as the book goes on, but the first 100 pages or so will switch point of view with no warning and you’re not sure who’s talking anymore.
Kathryn
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the truth mixed with magic in this book

I love the Tudor times anyway, so I adore when there is magic mixed into the story. Then characters and their stories are very well told.
Marion Aranjo
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it
pooja
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book.It intertwines history with an edge !!
Rosie Lee
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cracking good read despite the cover
Stacie
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard-to-find book that I believe was first published in 1989. I have read so much about the Tudor era, as I am fascinated by the stories of the wives of Henry VIII. There is so much published on Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard, that if I ever find anything on his other three wives, I devour it. This book tells the story of Jane Seymour and her brothers, Edward and Thomas. There is also another fictional character, Cloverella, that is raised with her Seymour cousin ...more
Rachel
Lively retelling of the rise and fall of the Seymours

A brew of historical fact, fiction, gypsies, magic, romance and intrigue ....but some willing suspension of disbelief carried me through a second read of this actually very enjoyable book.

I first read it as a teenager and I must admit I had forgotten some of the liberties the author took with historical facts and the gloriously florid dialogue.

But for all that it's a solidly told tale, with some really quite beautiful descriptive passages a
Caroline
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it more than I expected to given that I'm kind of off historical novels anymore. Unlike so much stuff out there today it is well written. I suspended my disbelief about the portrayals of historical characters, not all of which entirely jive with the known facts, because the fictional characters were so much fun and because even the historical characters were entertaining. Every once in awhile there was a sentence that was really beautiful or that did ring so true. I can read a few more o ...more
Terri Tarrant
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I thought the book was interesting being told by an outsider of the Tudors. I enjoyed the different perspectives of the families of the wives of Henry VIII and how their ambitions were acutely involved in the downfall of various queens. The only part that was confusing were the names of the noble people and the interchangeable titles given to them. This made it somewhat confusing as to who they were at times and who they were related.
linda j jones
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really in joy this book .I've read a lot of different books of this type,but

I really in joyed this view on this book . I found this book very interesting the way it was put together. I like these kind of history type . The lay out each part so one that kept me wanting to know more . So that's why I rate this one a 5.
Ian Becker
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absorbing, and full of surprises.

The author expertly captures the many sides of each character, at times making even Henry VIII seem sympathetic, then unapologetically displaying the ugliness in even well liked characters. The plot was full of turns and always had me looking forward to more.
Charlotte Huffington-Shinn
Enjoyable read for lovers of history

I enjoyed this book but did find the fact the narrative jumped from person to person a bit irritating but that is just a natter of my own literary taste. An enjoyable, if not gripping read.
Cynthia
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this books from Goodreads giveaways. I enjoyed being able to understand the Seymour family and how their interaction with the royalty. I was nice getting to know all the other family members
Edna Rankine
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well told

Enjoyed this book very...hoping to read more works by Deryn Lake. A very gifted weaver of historical novels plots, with seamless twists and turns.
Nichole Keiper Dinch
Very enjoyable to read!

Was well thought out and pleasant to read. The plot was fleshed out nicely and the characters had real depth
Carolyn G. Ronca
Good read

If you like historical fiction,this one is for you! Gives a lot of insight into what I thought I knew about Henry viii
Sherry
Nov 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got bored with this one...it may not actually be terrible; it's possible I may try it again someday, but for now I think I've had enough of the Tudors.
Vanessa
I'm not really finished, but I can't seem to get into this book. It may be my mood, or the writing, I'm unsure. Going to set it aside and come back at a later date.
Aine Kilciauskaite
May 16, 2016
Barb Lidstone
Mar 07, 2019
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 26, 2015 02:01PM

• The Queen's Mary: In the Shadows of Power...
  • My Life in Orange
  • Blood of Roses: Edward IV and Towton (The Falcon and The Sun: The House of York Book 1)
  • Operation Jihadi Bride: The Covert Mission to Rescue Young Women from ISIS
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • The Sultan's Harem
  • The Kiss of the Concubine: A story of Anne Boleyn
  • Spy
  • The Queen’s Consort: The Story of Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley
  • Minding the Manor: The Memoir of a 1930s English Kitchen Maid
  • Tidelands (Fairmile #1)
  • Once a Queen: A Story of Elizabeth Woodville (Plantagenet Embers Novellas, #2)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Shadow Man
  • After All (Cape Harbor, #1)
  • Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
  • Almost the Perfect Murder: The Killing of Elaine O’Hara, the Extraordinary Garda Investigation and the Trial That Stunned the Nation: The Only Complete Inside Account