Start by marking “The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend

The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend

It might be a sham to his boss, but it's all too real to him.

Administrative assistant Jonah Hollis has nurtured a hopeless crush on his boss, millionaire cattle rancher Lincoln Courtwright, ever since he started working for him. But hope is kindled when Linc and beautiful rodeo star Melissa Cutler break up just weeks before the biggest event of the Dallas social season, th
ebook, Dreamspun Desires #10, 216 pages
Published May 15th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend

Meags
3.5 Stars

I’m so torn over my rating for this story. I kind of feel like I read two books in one – one I thoroughly enjoyed and one I decidedly did not. Let me try and explain.

I absolutely adored the first 75% of this story. It was all sweet and sappy, with a deliciously developing slow-burn romance between cattle baron millionaire, Lincoln Courtwright, and his sweet-as-pie administrative assistant, Jonah Hollis. I was in my element with this Cinderella-in-cowboy-boots story and I was excitedly g
Shile
And so it begins

Time of death 70%.

description
It is me not the book! or maybe it is the book.

After reading so many books lately that don't have the typical, Crush on straight guy-date-kiss-sex-then the 70% miscommunication-Draaaaaaama LLaaaaama! I just couldn't continue anymore.

What can i say, i have been spoiled with books where MC's TALK! not jump into conclusions and literally ran off.

All i wanted was a sweet no drama little romance, too bad!

description

Or i am just grumpy and miss my dark corner and my dark pass
Tess
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it

After I got over the fact that I was actually reading a book entitled "The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend", I was quite enjoying this. Jonah was pretty likeable and of course Linc was as perfect as you could imagine an environmentally-conscious and sexy cattle baron to be. But then, of course, there was the inevitable misunderstanding and Jonah's actions in relation thereto. All so incredibly stupid. Really. I honestly didn't care anymore by the time I got to the HEA.
Kade Boehme
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun and tropey, went well with my lazy day.
Martin
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Darlin’, have mercy.”

Boy that was a totally unexpected tale. I like it, a lot. But whoa, that misunderstanding at the end was kind of out of this world…

Jonah, 24, is a business assistant in Dallas. His boss is Lincoln Courtwright, owner of the huge cattle ranch ‘Broken Spoke’ and of a gas and oil company. In short: He’s loaded.

Linc is a GREAT boss, treating his PA friendly and fair. Jonah is madly in love with his hot boss, but he spends a part of his office time picking out expensive presents
Sandra
3.5 stars, rounded up.

This was a fun read, but I had a couple of niggles with the way the females in this book were characterized.

But let's start at the beginning...

Jonah Hollis is a PA to super-gazillionaire millionaire cattle rancher Lincoln Courtwright and half in love/lust with his hot boss. Except bossman has a girlfriend and is presumably not gay, so Jonah has kept his lusty thoughts to himself.

Bossman however has a rather nasty break-up with his demanding, rude, obnoxious girlfriend, and
Bitchie
I really enjoyed the first half of this book. The longing, the crush on his "straight" boss, it was all very Harlequine-esque.

However, it fell by the wayside a bit in the second half for me. I think I went into trope overload, with the big misunderstanding, which turned into a double big misunderstanding, followed by the oh too sweet, everything tied up in a big red bow happy ending, in about 5 minutes flat.

I couldn't get why, even after he learned Linc was bi, Jonah couldn't believe that Linc c
Sara
This was cute, as are all the stories I've read in the Dreamspun Desires series.

The title, it’s misleading. I thought with it being a “Bogus Boyfriend” we would be getting the fake boyfriend trope that I really enjoy but that wasn’t the case.

Jonah is an administrative assistant to Lincoln, billionaire rancher, owner of the Broken Spoke Ranch who is ruggedly handsome, kind and ….. Jonah is smitten with his boss and goes above and beyond his job title – as most Administrative Assistants do – to ma
Leaundra
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up to 5...I really enjoyed this one. One of my favorites in the Dreamspun Desires series. I really liked both Jonas and Linc. It had a couple of my reading pet peeves though (view spoiler)
Morgan  Skye
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, bgs
Jonah moved to Dallas to escape his little hometown gossip mill and lucked out by finding a great job and great friends with a great place to live. He loves his boss – literally – and loves his life. He knows his boss’ girlfriend is a (w)itch because she calls all the time and pesters him but he wishes his boss was single and gay.

When the evil girlfriend causes a ruckus, Linc (the boss) shocks the heck out of Jonah by inviting him to the ball as his date! At first he thinks it’s out of convenien
Finnegan
Achim
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 Lightweight texan Cinderella story. It was a nice, naive enjoyment until the ball although I often guessed how much better the story would have been if it was about Wes and not about Jonah. After their night together, though ... nope, too much soap opera for me, everything happened too fast and I wasn't able to believe the actions, decisions and changes anymore. Nevertheless I like to round it up for the cute sex scenes and the male secondary characters.
Chris Hernandez
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Uhm, I was having problems nearing the end cause what the fuck was that. But nonetheless, it was good.
Tj
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cowboys
A quick, light, fun Harlequin style book. A perfect way to spend a hot summer afternoon - nothing serious or angst filled - a HEA is always a given with this style of book.
Sadonna
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review can also be found at The Novel Approach

Yea! I’m loving these Dreamspun books so far and this one is no exception. This book is a classic boss/secretary with a crush trope with all the cowboy goodness thrown in as well.
Hot as hell millionaire boss? Check. “Country” boy leaving town for the big city? Check. Best friend dating a douche? Check. Harpy and narcissistic girlfriend? Check! Manipulative step-mother? Check. Crush on the boss? Check. Big misunderstanding/miscommunication? Chec
Serena Yates
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, read-2016, bisexual
What happens when a man with a crush on his boss ends up in what he believes to be a pretend relationship so the boss can show his high-maintenance ex-girlfriend he is over her? Assumptions, misunderstandings, and complications follow in this entertaining comedy of errors set in Dallas, Texas. This novel has all the required ingredients for a light drama firmly set in the world of cowboys: cattle, oil and gas, homophobic relatives, and a sweet best friend who makes some truly bad decisions.

Jonah
Bo
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Add a Star

I added a star on to this review because the Epilogue is such a hilarious mess that you cannot imagine it happening anywhere else except on this whacked out Texas ranch, nor to such twisted up characters as Jonah, Linc, Caylee, Ford, Wes, Sammy, Adrian and the dreaded Melissa and Eloise.

This is a somewhat laconically paced romance which focuses on Jonah Harris, a young gay man from a tiny town in Oklahoma who leaves home to try the more tolerant big city of Dallas across the border. Th
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Note: This book was provided to me by the publisher through Hearts on Fire Reviews in exchange for an impartial review.

This is a delightful story, very reminiscent of the sweet romances featuring big, strong cowboys that I used to love to read when I was a teen.

Linc Courtwright is a very hot, very wealthy, very manly cowboy and executive director of a Texas ranching operation that not only exports beef but also taps in to the gas and oil reserves on the land. His new assistant, Jonah Hollis,
Cee Brown
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I entered my childhood and did not want to leave.

The first thing that drew me to the series was the cover.

SO reminiscent of my middle school days when the librarian pulled the Hardy Boys book from my hand and set a Mills & Boon one in it. "Trust me, this one is so much better," she said.

With a wink, she was gone and romance and HEA have been in my life ever since.

The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend was so saccharine, so right for the night that one sitting was all it took. There are several
Joyfully Jay
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

I loved Jonah, but I didn’t love his impulsiveness. Every moment the morning after he and Linc attend the Cattle Baron’s Ball is a BIG MISTAKE, one that a man a bit older and wiser might have considered twice before making. That said, the book is so breezy, with such a light tone, that I swooned along for the ride. Jonah’s a sweet man, and Linc’s just a giant teddy bear. Their lovestory is sugar on a stick. I appreciated the tiny hints we received regarding Jonah
Jeff Adams
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Linc is great. Once his bisexuality is revealed it’s just what is. I appreciated there was no back and forth about his attraction of girls versus guys. He’s bi and that’s that–and it’s Jonah he’s got his sights on. The slow build between these two as they went from boss/assistant to something closer to friends and on to lovers played out just like I like it–slow and steady which just makes the pay off all the more sweet.

You can read the entire review at http://www.jeffandwill.com/2016/06/22...
Fehu
Tiferet
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
It started really well, and the pretend relationship/Cinderella trope was great. But then we got the final conflict aka The Big Mis, and it was honestly the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a romance. At least the HEA was cute again.

Kudos for actually, explicitly stating the MC is bi!
Mandy
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, western
I liked this one. Not my normal read but worth the time. Super sickly sweet with an extremely happy ever after.
Ajax1978
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The first part was close to four stars, the last part had some ridiculousness and was more two star.
Alexa Logan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook, romance
What can I say?
I picked this up with very little expectations, mostly because of the silly title. And then, I got really invested in the story and quickly came to like the characters.

But then...
***SPOILERS***
(view spoiler)
llv
Rating: 3 stars
I thought this story was okay. It was a slow build filled with much of the mundane tasks that filled Jonah’s day. That didn’t bother me. It’s nice to read a book that the MCs aren’t having sex by the second page. What really let down the book was the Big Misunderstanding and Jonah’s immature reaction to it. Still despite Jonah’s over the top reactions to the Big Misunderstanding, at least Linc was mature enough to confront him and they managed to reach their HEA relatively quickly
wayward
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
I kept thinking of the movie "Pretty Woman." Not that it followed that story line, just the thoughts and some actions expressed hinted in that direction. But, that is not a bad comparison, since I do love that movie. This was a quick and cute read that made me smile. Very well written. Still just another cookie cutter romance story. Boy longs after another that is unobtainable. Some shocking moment that reveals the possibility. The get together, and our young hero is overjoyed that his dream is ...more
Rafe Jadison
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're into cowboys, and even if you're not, this book is a nice ride. It takes you from downtown offices to far away ranches to the Cattle Baron's Ball. The story revolves around Linc, a successful cattle rancher, and his assistant Jonah, two men with unique and intriguing pasts. Following the two of them as they fall in love takes you on a tempting trail as Bennett slowly lassos you in.
Amneris Cesare
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sappy, fluffy, sweet and romantic love story between an enormously rich hot hunk millionaire and his P.A., shy, virgin and hopelessly in love with his boss. So sweet! Just a little too slow at the beginning but a very enjoyable reading.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Unstable Stud (Lexington Lovers, #1)
  • Trial by Fire
  • Romancing the Ugly Duckling (Romancing the..., #2)
  • The Millionaire Upstairs
  • Tall, Dark, and Deported
  • The Lone Rancher
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #1)
  • The Virgin Manny (The Mannies, #1)
  • Swann's Revenge
  • Taylor Maid
  • Undercover Boyfriend (One Fine Day, #1)
  • Stranded with Desire
  • Tru Smoke (Ember Peak, #1)
  • My Only Sunshine
Growing up in Chicago, Nicki Bennett spent every Saturday at the central library, losing herself in the world of books. A voracious reader, she eventually found it difficult to find enough of the kind of stories she liked to read and decided to start writing them herself.