Start by marking “Love, or Nearest Offer” as Want to Read:
Love, or Nearest Offer

Love, or Nearest Offer

What if your estate agent could find you not just your perfect house, but your perfect job, your perfect partner... your perfect new life?

On paper, Iris Atkins is an estate agent, but she's not just good at finding suitable houses for her clients. In fact, she has a gift: Iris is able to see into their lives and understand exactly what is missing and what they need - and n
Published June 2nd 2016 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about Love, or Nearest Offer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, or Nearest Offer

Abbie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: june-2016
Love, Or Nearest Offer entwines two big moments in our lives - moving home and finding love.

A very character-based book, the story is told from numerous perspectives using third person narrative. The back stories of each character and the reasons leading to their house moves draws you in and keeps you reading to find out how things will work out for them. The character of Aiden resonated the most with me and I could not help but be moved by his circumstances.

A different take on the usual romanc
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Relationships, love, loss, moving-on, family.

This was a perfect summer read, easy to curl up with when it's raining (because this is Britain and it's usually raining) and easy to stretch out with on a lounger in the sun on one of the four days of summer or while you're on holiday.

I loved Iris and how her own life wasn't perfect - things were messed up and as well as working through her own problems she made everyone around her feel a little better too. This isn't a wishy-washy romance,
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, or Nearest Offer is a warm and engaging novel, a light and enjoyable read ideal for the summer. I loved the sound to this novel and the synopsis had me really looking forward to reading it. Once I began, I was engrossed almost straight away as despite the fairly slow, gentle pace, the storytelling really leads us nicely into the lives of these characters who all have the same goal – to find their perfect new home. Each of the house-hunting characters had their own story and I could really ...more
Jill's Book Cafe
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
I was drawn to this book for two reasons, the first being that we're in the process of trying to sell our house so the topic certainly resonated and secondly the enticing cover (incidentally that house would do quite nicely thank you). Luckily both reasons proved to be favourable as this book was a delight.

Iris Adkins works for Robinson and Taylor and prides herself on selling and seeking out properties of the right kind for the right people (what a pity she's only fictional). Unfortunately she'
Shirley Revill
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy light read that I really enjoyed listening to.
Emma Crowley
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Love or Nearest Offer is the first book I have read by Adele Geras. Truthfully I had never heard of this author before seeing this book on the internet and I have since discovered what an impressive back catalogue she has and how beloved by many readers she is. What first caught my attention was the beautiful, colourful cover which evokes such a homely feel. Both the blurb and the tag-line 'A house move. A new life. A second chance at love' had me intrigued and keen to discover what story awaite ...more
Agi
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-releases

Oh man. It may sound unbelievable, in fact I myself can't believe it, but I've just checked and "Love, or Nearest Offer" is my first book by Adele Geras. Gulp. I've heard tons about this author and I've really no idea why I haven't come across her previous novels, but well, on the other hand, I now have a great backlog list of all her titles to read, ha. And as I loved the synopsis to "Love, or Nearest Offer", I really couldn't wait for my copy.

The book started with chapters introducing all the
Carolyn Fitzmaurice
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really nice easy read that I almost read in one sitting but had to give up because it was so late. I really liked the way in which the characters all interlinked through the story but also having their own story lines. I shall be looking to read more by this author.
Suzie Newbold
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read - romantic without being mushy but not typical chick-lit (quite glad not to see a bright cover!) Essential bedtime reading!
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story, really enjoyed discovering what happened at each turn of the page.
JenniferB
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book, although some parts not so great, e.g. why main character went back to her boyfriend, also ending tied up all loose ends, maybe a bit too ideal.
Holly
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Marese Hickey
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well written book, with well rounded characters. Entertaining and light-hearted, in the style of Katie FForde.
Joan
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Iris Atkins loves her job as an estate agent for Robinson and Tyler in the busy suburbs of London. She takes great pride in her work and has the knack, indeed the great gift of matching her clients to properties her agency have on their books. She is warm and full of insight, a leading light in her office. Her clients often become her friends and she even dabbles in a little bit of matchmaking.

So when Patrick the artist asks Iris to help him find his perfect new home, Iris once again sets her ma
debbie micollari
Romantic easy read

Great to leave and pick up again. Strong characters well described a well woven story. Would makeup a good movie
Linda Hill
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Iris is leaving her cheating boyfriend to concentrate on finding the right house for the right client through her estate agent job. However, looking after other people’s interests doesn’t mean she can best look after her own.

I haven’t read anything by Adele Geras before even though she is a prolific author but reading Love, or Nearest Offer felt as if I’d been reading her all my life. Her style felt familiar and comforting. Frequently I found myself nodding in agreement as she described family d
Anne
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Over the years, I've read quite a few of Adele Geras' books, both her adult stories and her young adult books, and have always enjoyed them. I think my favourites have been Hester's Story and her young adult book Ithaka.

Love, or Nearest Offer is a wonderfully structured story; Iris is an estate agent, she's very good at her job. She doesn't just find houses for people, she really cares about them. Iris has a knack of knowing exactly which property will suit her client, even if at first, they can
Ann Cooper
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love books that present a puzzle and this book is an excellent example. It's based on Iris, an estate agent, and her quest to solve her clients' housing needs. She takes pride in the fact that she tries to match people with the right property.

While she is dealing with Josie and her family, Vina, and Aiden, she is also helping Patrick to find a property with the right amount of walls. Add to this her controlling ex, Neil, and his attempts to rekindle their relationship and June, her mum, you h
Helen
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find the greatest appeal of this book is that it is so relatable and true to life with people you could easily know or want to know. A nice light in between kind of book to escape and enjoy on a quiet weekend.

"She thought of how important houses were. How the right one could make dreams come true and how the wrong one could wreck someone's entire life".

Full review at:
Alva
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this light, easy and entertaining read from Adele Geras, one of my favourite storytellers. A multi-layered story of relationships, love, family and believe it or not - estate agents! Loved Iris and her personal commitment to her clients. Quirky Aidan came a close second as my favourite character. A fabulous read full of character warmth.
Gill
Aug 28, 2017
Vanessa Ann
Nov 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Adèle Geras FRSL (born 15 March 1944) is an English writer for young children, teens and adults. Her husband was the Marxist academic Norman Geras and their daughter Sophie Hannah is also a novelist and poet.

Geras was born in Jerusalem, British Mandatory Palestine. Her father was in the Colonial Service and she had a varied childhood, living in countries such as Nigeria, Cyprus, Tanzania, Gambia a