Start by marking “The Essential Jung: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
The Essential Jung: Selected Writings

The Essential Jung: Selected Writings

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  1,183 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews

This volume presents the essentials of Jung's thought in his own words. To familiarize readers with the ideas for which Jung is best known, the British psychiatrist and writer Anthony Storr has selected extracts from Jung's writings that pinpoint his many original contributions and relate the development of his thought to his biography. Dr. Storr has prefaced each extract
Published January 3rd 2000 by Princeton University Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Jung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Jung

Owen Spencer
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Carl Jung's writings in this book (and in Man and His Symbols) have greatly increased and improved my understanding of psychology. This is the kind of stuff that attracted me to the field of psychology in the first place. I can't believe that I completed all coursework for a Ph.D. in clinical psychology without reading Jung! Better late than never. The best was saved for last, I guess. This is deep, advanced psychology that may go over the heads of many readers (including those in the field). It ...more
Nikki
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This was assigned reading for my Jungian Psychology class. We split the large book into three sections, one for each class session. I've enjoyed this reading the most since it's actually Jung's writing, and not writing about Jung (though those materials are valuable as well). I like this collection because it includes material from throughout Jung's career and is carefully selected and highlighted by Anthony Storr. It's really a walk-through of all of Jung's concepts (archetypes, Self, shadow, e ...more
Nicholas
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This is a successful attempt at distilling a huge intellectual output into one volume.Inevitably it is challenging in places, especially the section on Alchemy,and the vocabulary used can sometimes have you reaching for the big dictionary but the insights come along frequently enough to keep you motivated.
Stephanie Ricker
I must say I’m becoming a fan of good old Carl. I’m glad I read Freud first, as it’s giving me a good background helping me to understand Jung.
Josée
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much, it definitely helped that I was already interested in all the topics he covered in this collection of his works, and while a whole lot of new ground was covered, a lot of the information was confirmation from other sources as well.

The last part of the book really drove it home for me, that while I *know* and now understand more clearly that the way to a healthier, more progressive, more unified society is through the healing of the individual, I should only put my efforts
kate
Jul 08, 2013 added it
I have since read several books written by Jung and this is an excellent introduction. Was pleased to discover that jung has been resonating through my life for a decade, without proper credit. His ideas are very interesting - like me, he applies psychology at an individual level and at a societal level. and freud has never worked for me, I am not sure how anyone takes him seriously.

This book excerpts and breaks down many key ideas and provides footnotes and details to flesh out, clarify and ex
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm a psychology major and I like Carl Jung, but what is he talking about? I need a translator!
Holly LeCraw
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still plugging away...editing and commentary by Storr is excellent.
Devin Arriaga
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first few pages, I knew this work would likely be my favourite for a long time. I had this book sitting in dust for a long time because of its title; "The Essential Jung: Selected Writings." For some strange reason, I just saw the word Jung and believed it to be something about Eastern meditation methods, but then I saw it later and thought how dumb that was; Jung was a psychoanalyst!

This non-fiction brings pieces and excerpts from the essential ideas of Jung together into a single book
Philip
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find myself in agreement with Jung many times, especially as a critic of society and concerning the psychic "shadow" he has a believer in me. And yet, at other times I just can't fathom what on earth he is talking about, especially concerning this whole abracadabra business with alchemy; but that's probably mainly due to my own deficit in the field. I am also skeptical about the "animus" and "anima" branch of his theory.

My main objection, however, to his work is that he seems to disallow for t
Bharath Ramakrishnan
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like Jung's theories on Collective Unconscious, Synchronicity and personality types you will like this book. He makes a genuine and good attempt at aligning religious and scientific thought.

This book is a collection of the most significant writings of Carl Jung with some introductory notes by Anthory Storr. This has turned out to be very satisfying read where all of Jung’s popular theories are discussed in detail in his own words.

There are descriptions of personality types – basic ones in
Tony Lovell
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
good introduction to Jung for those unfamiliar with his work....explanatory notes were helpful!
Scriptor Ignotus
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to Jungian psychology, very tightly and skillfully edited to allow the reader to read a single line of Jung's thought over several different sources. It touches on the whole spectrum of Jung's work; his doctoral thesis, his divergence with Freud, his confrontation with the unconscious, the anima and animus, the psychological types and functions, his study of alchemy, and excerpts from Answer to Job and The Undiscovered Self.

Those who are looking to get into Jungian psy
Daniel Seifert
Jung continues to revive my understanding of self/psyche and in relationship with others to include the many figures/images/archetypes that make up the sub and collective consciousness, some of which I wish to better understand and see consciously to include shaking off the shards and embracing the avatars that support a transcendence and "transmutes our personal destiny into the destiny of [humankind], and evokes in us all those beneficent forces that ever and anon have enabled humanity to find ...more
Scott Kinkade
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the definitive book for anyone looking to study at the feet of Carl Jung. While it's mostly reprints of his various works, the book begins each section by explaining what Jung was trying to say, and gives context for his different theories. From dreams to personalities to UFOs and even the Bible, he's full of fascinating ideas. If you have any interest in philosophy, you owe it to yourself to read this.
Tim Weakley
This might have been a more worthwhile book for a student of psychology. The first half of the book was interesting. I enjoyed the exploration of Jung's work with individuation, the collective unconcious, archetypes etc. The second half of the book concerned his ideas about alchemy which held no appeal for me at all and left me glazed over. The same can be said for the massive amounts of prose on religion.
Aaron
Jung does not make for an easy read. This is the best introduction/overview on the market. Anthony Storr does well to give a rounded collection of writings and excepts, so you have a good taste of Jung.
Corey
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so this took me over a year to get through and, frankly, some of it was over my head. But I was in Jungian therapy for a decade and credit it with helping me become a better writer. Hence, parts of his writings resonated very deeply with me.
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting and spiritual (although it's been a couple of years since I read it so i can't remember my exact thoughts) some of it went over my head though and I don't think I like Jung as much as I thought I would- I kind of thought his theories would be the answer to everything- sadly they're not!
Fern Chong
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book of Jung's writings that summarises his theories. A man with great insight into the human psyche: his philosophies have opened up my eyes into my conscious and unconscious being. He has left the fate of humanity into our own hands...
Greg Tilden
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first comprehensive Jung readings I've ever read. A spark in my mind which will further me to read a lot more Jung.
Katrinka
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great sampling of a dude whose thoughts I love (with the exception of his assumptions about gender, but that's another story).
Edin Kapic
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very straight-forward chronological selection of Jung's works.
Patrick Nylen
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this introduction to Jung and his writings. Storr's comments are brief but informative.
Joshua Finnell
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A gap in my philosophical education that was recently filled by Jerome. Thanks Jerome! I will never listen to the Weezer song "Only in Dreams" in quite the same way.
Waleed
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memories, Dreams, Reflections was the gateway drug. Now I'm hooked.
Kevin
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great introduction to señor jung.
emm
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly thought provoking work from Jung. This is great for anyone interested in the realm of psychology.
Brian Carlin
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The essential Jungian toolkit. One bag, looks like two.
Man Solo
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book that sums up pretty much everything, but very difficult to read.
  • Re-Visioning Psychology
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • Creating a Life: Finding Your Individual Path (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 92)
  • A Little Book on the Human Shadow
  • The Inner World of Trauma: Archetypal Defences of the Personal Spirit
  • The Freud Reader
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness (Bollingen Series, 42)
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • Jung to Live by
  • Identity & the Life Cycle Rev (Paper)
  • Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, l ...more
More about C.G. Jung...

“But there is no energy unless there is a tension of opposites; hence it is necessary to discover the opposite to the attitude of the conscious mind.” 12 likes
“If I want to understand an individual human being, I must lay aside all scientific knowledge of the average man and discard all theories in order to adopt a completely new and unprejudiced attitude. I can only approach the task of understanding with a free and open mind, whereas knowledge of man, or insight into human character, presupposes all sorts of knowledge about mankind in general.” 5 likes