Start by marking “The Essential Jung: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
The Essential Jung: Selected Writings

The Essential Jung: Selected Writings

This volume presents the essentials of Jung's thought in his own words. To familiarize readers with the ideas for which Jung is best known, the British psychiatrist and writer Anthony Storr has selected extracts from Jung's writings that pinpoint his many original contributions and relate the development of his thought to his biography. Dr. Storr has prefaced each extract ...more
Published January 3rd 2000 by Princeton University Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Jung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Jung

Start your review of The Essential Jung: Selected Writings
Owen Spencer
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Carl Jung's writings in this book (and in Man and His Symbols) have greatly increased and improved my understanding of psychology. This is the kind of stuff that attracted me to the field of psychology in the first place. I can't believe that I completed all coursework for a Ph.D. in clinical psychology without reading Jung! Better late than never. The best was saved for last, I guess. This is deep, advanced psychology that may go over the heads of many readers (including those in the field). It ...more
Nikki
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This was assigned reading for my Jungian Psychology class. We split the large book into three sections, one for each class session. I've enjoyed this reading the most since it's actually Jung's writing, and not writing about Jung (though those materials are valuable as well). I like this collection because it includes material from throughout Jung's career and is carefully selected and highlighted by Anthony Storr. It's really a walk-through of all of Jung's concepts (archetypes, Self, shadow, e ...more
Nicholas
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This is a successful attempt at distilling a huge intellectual output into one volume.Inevitably it is challenging in places, especially the section on Alchemy,and the vocabulary used can sometimes have you reaching for the big dictionary but the insights come along frequently enough to keep you motivated.
Stephanie Ricker
I must say I’m becoming a fan of good old Carl. I’m glad I read Freud first, as it’s giving me a good background helping me to understand Jung.
Alan
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Finally. 2 months later, I finish this. I am giving it three stars because it is truly a great selection of Jung's work - and that means, inevitably, that I will come across a decent amount of material that I do not vibe with. During certain parts I was soaring, and during others, it felt as though I was working my way through Tolkien's Dead Marshes. But it's done.
Ashley
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book gave a decent overview for a first-time reader of Jung's work. Unfortunately many parts contained vague platitudes or references to alchemical concepts that I didn't grasp at all. The chapter on archetypes was refreshing since I had heard the concepts of animus/anima, shadow, etc mentioned before and I needed a clarifying text in which Jung provided his definition of those terms.
The book also has a great deal of metaphors about Jesus and nebulous calls for social overhaul, if you're i
Timothy Hicks
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to Jung by watching many random Jordan Peterson podcasts and YouTube lectures and I’m glad I finally took the time to read some of his actual material.

This is very deep reading and goes through a wide range of topics. At one long talking about schizophrenia and dream interpretations ... the next about alchemy, communism, art and biblical commentary. It’s all kind of a whirlwind in my head, but I enjoyed the ride and feel that my knowledge on psychology has been greatly enhanced.
Devin Arriaga
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first few pages, I knew this work would likely be my favourite for a long time. I had this book sitting in dust for a long time because of its title; "The Essential Jung: Selected Writings." For some strange reason, I just saw the word Jung and believed it to be something about Eastern meditation methods, but then I saw it later and thought how dumb that was; Jung was a psychoanalyst!

This non-fiction brings pieces and excerpts from the essential ideas of Jung together into a single book
Josée
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much, it definitely helped that I was already interested in all the topics he covered in this collection of his works, and while a whole lot of new ground was covered, a lot of the information was confirmation from other sources as well.

The last part of the book really drove it home for me, that while I *know* and now understand more clearly that the way to a healthier, more progressive, more unified society is through the healing of the individual, I should only put my efforts
kate
Jul 08, 2013 added it
I have since read several books written by Jung and this is an excellent introduction. Was pleased to discover that jung has been resonating through my life for a decade, without proper credit. His ideas are very interesting - like me, he applies psychology at an individual level and at a societal level. and freud has never worked for me, I am not sure how anyone takes him seriously.

This book excerpts and breaks down many key ideas and provides footnotes and details to flesh out, clarify and ex
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm a psychology major and I like Carl Jung, but what is he talking about? I need a translator!
Holly LeCraw
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still plugging away...editing and commentary by Storr is excellent.
Jacob
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wet-my-whistle
Easily the best book I've read all year, and I have read some great books.
Alex Petkus
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly very interesting.
If the "supernatural" stuff was left out, this would probably be 5 stars.

To a certain degree, I feel Jung was writing more about himself with the sections related to religious dogma, but with regard to common myths and alchemy, these things were not as much a part of his upbringing and these sections seemed less of a reach.

I do feel this book has increased my understanding of other people who appear to me as neurotic when they fail to adapt to particular situations [peo
Brianna
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well-organized anthology. Second attempt at reading Jung. (First attempt: weird obsession with alchemy leads my middle schooler self to a collection of Jung’s writings on alchemy) I believe Jung was on the precipice of anti-psychiatry after he split from Freud. The reduction of an individual’s psyche to childhood is a popular generalization, from therapy sessions to artwork. Western culture has an odd fixation on the primacy of childhood, but Jung’s middle-aged patients led him to alter their tr ...more
Margaret
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books about Jung and his ideas, but never a selection of Jung's writings. Reading his thoughts about personality types, religion, the unconscious, etc. in his own words was powerful. I was surprised by his humor, the biting wit, the way he could bring complex issues to light in the most succinct way. Anthony Storr's introductions to passages gave pertinent background to set the stage for better understanding. As I was reading, I was struck by Jung's passion, his insight, and his ...more
Jemma
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting, if overlong and repetitive collection of Jung's thought. Worth a read if you've ever realised how much you know about Freud but precious little about Jung.

I now know that Roy Porter had read Jung, as his explanation of UFOs, as the latest in the series of ways to express neuroses. Less interesting is the religiosity and Jung's views on LGBT issues, neither of which have aged well.
Lisong Yang
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jung's ideas on human mind was original, broad and profoundly insightful. Storr's selection of Jung's work was comprehensive and helpful for those who would like to catch essence of this giant's thoughts and gain wisdom of humanity.
Michael D
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant compendium with highly insightful commentary by Storr, this is indeed, essential.
Di Bryan
Great as an introduction to Jung’s work as it briefly covers the main points and adds some details about his life.
Joana
Very interesting, but too dense.
Genevieve Frances
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
a decent overview of Jung and his thoughts and idea but I couldn't finish it towards the end. I can see why Jung and Freud parted ways....
Jacob Angkasa
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
actually only read half, so hard to read :D
Moss 慈映夢図
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jung, when delving into his findings, often does so in contrast to those of his former mentor Freud. Fortunately for us, this results in Jung doing a far better job of succinctly detailing Freud's work as well as his own, and doing so more efficiently than Freud ever managed himself - His writing is sometimes borderline impenetrable.

Unlike Freud, Jung could take something as vast and nebulous as psychology and make it somewhat more digestible to the average reader, and the result is a clearer a
Philip
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find myself in agreement with Jung many times, especially as a critic of society and concerning the psychic "shadow" he has a believer in me. And yet, at other times I just can't fathom what on earth he is talking about, especially concerning this whole abracadabra business with alchemy; but that's probably mainly due to my own deficit in the field. I am also skeptical about the "animus" and "anima" branch of his theory.

My main objection, however, to his work is that he seems to disallow for t
Bharath
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like Jung's theories on Collective Unconscious, Synchronicity and personality types you will like this book. He makes a genuine and good attempt at aligning religious and scientific thought.

This book is a collection of the most significant writings of Carl Jung with some introductory notes by Anthory Storr. This has turned out to be very satisfying read where all of Jung’s popular theories are discussed in detail in his own words.

There are descriptions of personality types – basic ones in
Tony Lovell
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
good introduction to Jung for those unfamiliar with his work....explanatory notes were helpful!
Matej
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Jung's conception of archetypes seems to get close to something true of social/symbolic language, but I cannot help but disagree with his notion of the "collective unconscious," "inherited memory images," and the anima/animus (eros and logos) duality.
This is not the first place he lost me, but one of the most significant moments, when he claims that the baby boy's affection for the mother is not the result of a dependent sexual drive (say in the need for breast milk), but rather due to the boy'
Scriptor Ignotus
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to Jungian psychology, very tightly and skillfully edited to allow the reader to read a single line of Jung's thought over several different sources. It touches on the whole spectrum of Jung's work; his doctoral thesis, his divergence with Freud, his confrontation with the unconscious, the anima and animus, the psychological types and functions, his study of alchemy, and excerpts from Answer to Job and The Undiscovered Self.

Those who are looking to get into Jungian psy
Daniel Seifert
Jung continues to revive my understanding of self/psyche and in relationship with others to include the many figures/images/archetypes that make up the sub and collective consciousness, some of which I wish to better understand and see consciously to include shaking off the shards and embracing the avatars that support a transcendence and "transmutes our personal destiny into the destiny of [humankind], and evokes in us all those beneficent forces that ever and anon have enabled humanity to find ...more

• Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • Civilization and Its Discontents
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • The Hero With a Thousand Faces
  • The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness
  • How to Read Lacan
  • Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis (Hitler, #2)
  • Your Conscious Mind: Unravelling the greatest mystery of the human brain (New Scientist Instant Expert)
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • Iron John: A Book About Men
  • A Little Book on the Human Shadow
  • King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
  • The Secret of the Golden Flower: A Chinese Book of Life
  • Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief
  • The Rebel
  • The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, l ...more

News & Interviews

“But there is no energy unless there is a tension of opposites; hence it is necessary to discover the opposite to the attitude of the conscious mind.” 21 likes
“A million zeros joined together do not, unfortunately, add up to one. Ultimately everything depends on the quality of the individual, but our fatally shortsighted age thinks only in terms of large numbers and mass organizations, though one would think that the world had seen more than enough of what a well-disciplined mob can do in the hands of a single madman. Unfortunately, this realization does not seem to have penetrated very far - and our blindness is extremely dangerous.” 18 likes