Start by marking “The Karachi Deception” as Want to Read:
The Karachi Deception

The Karachi Deception

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  778 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Three commandos of the Indian Army’s elite Unit Kilo—Major Imtiaz Ahmed, Captain Shamsheer Suleiman and Lieutenant Rafiq Mehmood—are chosen for a one-of-a-kind ops mission: to enter Pakistan and eliminate dreaded underworld don, Irshad Dilawar. However, somehow, the Inter-Services Intelligence and Dilawar always seem to be one step ahead of them, foiling every plan they ma ...more
Published April 1st 2016 by Rupa Publications India (first published January 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Karachi Deception, please sign up.

Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Hail Shatrujeet Nath… What a debut!

Irshad Dilawar, a terrorist hiding in Pakistan, is a known aide of ISI and is on a number of wanted lists. RAW and Indian Army have come together to take this menace off the streets – one way or the other – preferably permanently. But despite their best efforts, they are always a step behind. That’s when Major Imtiaz, the leader of this very special group, realises that their plan has been compromised and that they are walking straight into a trap.

The character
Jayana

You’re in for a Hell. Of. A. Ride.

I won this book in a GR Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. For the record, I’m always honest in my reviews. Sometimes, brutally.

** BEHOLD THE BOOK BADGE **

photo 695683_zpslsmafs8b.jpg

This is going to be the Book Badge in my reviews. If you see it in any of my reviews, you’ve got to drop everything and go buy it as if your ass is on fire. Having seen it, you probably don’t have to read the whole review, though I’m not going to stop you, if you do read. :)

Now that the above is e
Gorab Jain
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, indian
A decent debut. Fast paced Forsyth kind of action thriller around agents, intelligence and spy network between India and Pakistan.
Usage of a few Hindi dialogues (one-liners) should have been translated for the English readers.
Kamala
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three Indian commandos take the path of the assassin and set out on a life-defying secret mission to Pakistan. Their task--to kill India's most wanted terrorist who is in hiding under the protection of the ISI. As the story unfolds, it is soon clear that there is more to this mission than meets the eye. Confounded at every turn, the soldiers must face and deal with setback after setback that sends them hurtling towards a very frightening and dangerous exposure. The author weaves a shocking trail ...more
Samra Muslim
A Karachi story written by an Indian and it's not a propaganda piece of literature! A fairly gripping action thriller, with small dab of realism thrown in - Dawood Ibrahim, OBL, et al ...

Not brilliant, but still fast paced, good twists and turns, and Karachi pretty thoroughly (and mostly accurately) depicted - pretty impressive for a debut novel!!
Deepali Joshi
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abhimanyu was the son of the great warrior Arjun who bravely broke and entered the complicated Chakravyuh in the historic battle of Mahabharat. However, he was not able to come out of it and lost his life. When Major Imtiaz Ahmed was called for Project Abhimanyu, he knew he was entering a Chakravyuh. Would he meet the fate of Abhimanyu during the project or would he emerge triumphant remains a mystery throughout the 250 odd pages of Karachi Deception.
The plot revolves around Unit Kilo, a highly
Rakhi Jayashankar
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, reviewed
My Rating is 4.5

Three commandos assigned a task to assassinate a terrorist in a clandestine mission- The plot itself magnetically attracts the readers. Inciting inquisitiveness is the prime quality of a thriller, which, Karachi Deception possesses full throttle. The chronological order of the narration helps the reader comprehend the otherwise complicated story.

Commandos Major Imtiaz Ahmed, Captain Shamsheer Sulaiman, and Lieutenant Rafiq Mahmood, who sets out to accomplish the most prestigious
Sarika Patkotwar
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating- 3.5

When I first came across The Karachi Deception, I thought it sounded so good. Then when I met the author, I was literally begging Shatrujeet for a copy of it because I was so looking forward to reading the book everyone was raving about. When the book was published again at last, trust me, I was the happiest person, and while it took me a lot of time to get to the book and even more time to finish it, I am so glad I read it because it was entertaining and thrilling.

At first gl
Roshan
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With so many Indian authors entering the market, it's easy to allow a fall in standards while hoping to make a quick buck. But that isn't the case here. Shatrujeet Nath characters are well fleshed out, the twists and red herrings are scattered at the right time to make you guess and second guess his motives (always a good sign in a spy novel) and his hold over the language and intricate descriptions are far better than most of the new Indian authors in the market.

It is never easy to take up a g
Wasio Abbasi
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't read novels of this genre and it clearly appeared anti-Pakistan on first glimpse, I still decided to go ahead and was not disappointed. Well balanced story, attention-grabing details, twists and turns and well researched geography for realistic story telling. Being resident of Karachi I did found a couple of oddities in description, but that is expected since author has no personal experience of the country.
A well-worth story for any enthusiast of espionage novels.
Chumki Sen
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Unputdownable' is the right word to describe The Karachi Deception. The plot is so gripping that one wonders if there was some truth in it, given that the country backdrop is India-Pakistan. Nath's fluid prose and thorough research weaves a brilliant plot that speaks of both invaders and intruders. The twist in the end brings about that unpredictable O.Henry element in the plot. A must read for everyone.
Pankaj Goyal
The Karachi Deception is another amazing book penned down by Shatrujeet Nath. The book, with a gripping narrative, is an excellent spy thriller. Unlike most examples of this genre, this book takes you on a hell of a ride. In fact, the book truly outshines all the spy thrillers I have read so far. The labyrinthine twists and turns of this thriller will not only keep you awake all night, but will also keep you at the edges of your seats. Every chapter ends with a sensation of an ‘exciting bit’ tha ...more
Abhishek
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a book!!!!!
It has all the ingredients of a quintessential military-spy thriller and nothing has been overdone. The author has not tried to portray the protagonists of the story as swashbuckling and boisterous, which would made them look unrealistic. The Indian commandos who enter Pakistan for a secret mission have been sketched realistically. The entire plot is so realistic that the reader feels that he is not reading a novel but a case file of R&AW. The author has also paid great atten
Vishal Kale
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most, if not the most, slick and superb intelligence capers I have read in my life; sleek, swift and superbly crafted together. The story is a decently paced narrative that is not too slow, nor too fast - giving ample space for the proper buildup, detailing and background descriptions. These have been skillfully done, and add to the overall mystery and suspense. The charactarisation is adequate for the story, and is a vital aspect of the plot. The entire book is a masterpiece, ...more
Mayank Singh
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Karachi Deception is a breathless espionage saga. The novel works at various levels -- the pace remains taut, thanks to the narrative structure and writing. The detailing and research depicting places as far apart as Karachi, Mali, Delhi, Baluchistan and Muscat adds to the mood and realism. Almost every character in the book exhibits shades of gray, as the story goes through its umpteen twists and turns, with the author tying it all up towards the end. Overall, The Karachi Deception marks a ...more
Vinay Leo R.
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2mU

This was one of the best thrillers I've read. Gripping pace, fluency in flow and language, right characters at the right time to get the reader interested, and threads connected seamlessly. Twist in the tale comes is completely unexpected and we almost can't believe that that twist is possible till it is suitably justified by the author later. Witty end too, and one which gets a smile. A very promising debut in the thriller genre. Congratulations to Shatrujeet i
Rajiv Narayan
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant debut. An amazing geo political thriller set in the geo-political Indian subcontinent theatre. apart from the plot and it's amazing twists, the author has been able to take it's reader feel that he is actually in the scene of the story. Strong visuals and a brilliant ending makes it a 5 pointer. will not be surprised if this becomes a movie in the near future!
Shruthi
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. Great suspense, fast-paced, with twists and turns every few pages. Forgot to breathe sometimes!

I'd never read a spy-thriller of this kind with characters, situations and places that are familiar to me. Really liked that about the book.

Warning - read it over the weekend, where you can afford to stay up into the night reading!
Karthik
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved the book. Though my reading spaned for almost a week, it was well meticulated and each and every chapter was a nail biting scenario. If you love reading thriller books , then I would suggest you to read this. :)

$Cheers @Shatrujeetj Nath
Shrikanth Venne
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-author
Whole reading this book in the start you will feel you know the story what will happen but it will take you by surprise. Really an extraordinary book to read.
Prathamesh Deshpande
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plot:

The story revolves around a plot by a unit of the Indian army to infiltrate Pakistan and neutralise annunderworld don Irshad Dilawar ( Dawood Ibrahim wink wink..). However there is a small twist to the plan as there is a parrallel plot being hatched to assassinate Dilawar by an Algerian mafia with the assistance of a CIA operative through mercenaries and its how these two plots coincide and play along that make the crux of the story.
Also, if you think that is the end of the twists in the t
Aparajita Shorey
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Karachi Deception revolves around Project Abhimanyu – an audacious plot hatched by the RAW and the Indian Army intelligence to assassinate Mumbai’s dreaded underworld don Irshad Dilawar, who’s hiding in Pakistan and assisting the ISI in its proxy war against India.
Major Imtiaz Ahmed is picked to lead the special ops mission deep inside Pakistan – but the ISI and Dilawar are several steps ahead of the Indians. Beaten at every turn, Major Imtiaz is faced with the horrifying realisation that Pr
Kavita
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first time I am reading a spy thriller by an Indian author and I must say I really enjoyed it.
As the story is set in India and its neighbouring countries, it's very relatable.
A strong story line with a very good pace that haunts your mind till you complete reading it.
My respect for our countrymen in the forces has multiplied manifold especially for those who engage in covert operations. They are the true unsung heroes.
The story was so gripping and right at the moment that I felt I
Tanaya Sinha
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend, thriller, 2018
First thing first, as a debut novel this book is terrific. It is well researched, has realistic characters building and captures the political/ arm conflict of the subcontinent brilliantly without being jingoistic, though truth be told there were a loads of scope for that. The pace was taut with few well placed twists which will throw you off the track, every time you feel like you have figured out the plot. Only drawback I can figure out that the book looses some pace in between..but the twist ...more
Somil Agrawal
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent debut novel which looks extremely well researched. Completely blemish free and has a more consistent flow of events compared to Mumbai Avengers on which the movie Phantom was based. Would make for a great movie.
Shriker Parth
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant!!!!
JITEN TANNA
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. ..

What a book...story telling is superb...nice plot nice discription of each and every person and place....nicely said and good suspense...
Subrus
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy pasting a review I wrote back in 2013 on Flipkart.

I like it because it articulates some of the "conspiracy theories" I keep expounding :-) ;-)

Jokes apart, the Karachi Deception is a well-written novel, with the twists thrown in at the right points to make it more thrilling. When you think you have cracked it, Shatrujeet pulls one more twist out of his hat, making you not want to put this book down.

What I like is the perfect balance that Shatrujeet has achieved regarding descriptiveness, th
Prahlad Prabhudatta
Very good writing, I wish I had an Atlas or satellite maps while reading this.

Except for the last twenty pages where the plot was outrageous and far fetched this was really worth reading
Rahul Khatri
Simply Fantastic ! For all Who love to read brain-shaking-thrillers than just Thriller !
THE KARACHI DECEPTION , pen down by Shatrujeet Nath , is an exhilarating thriller . A book which keep readers hooked from Ist page to last and Yup I'll say the writting flow let the book a - a self leafturner . Completely Unputdownable ! This book is capable of shaking 12-Pound mass lying between our shoulders .
I'm Re-reading this book and is the first Novel that I read . I bet not even a single reader can pu
  • The Hunt for Kohinoor (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #2)
  • The Virgins
  • Compass Box Killer (Inspector Virkar, #1)
  • Gods, Kings & Slaves: The Siege of Madurai
  • R.I.P
  • Wise Enough to be Foolish
  • The Treasure of Kafur
  • The Avatari
  • The Guardian Angels
  • The Seeds of War (Mahabharata #2)
  • Destiny's Girl
  • The Chronicle of Sapta Sindhu
  • English Bites! My 'Fullproof' English Learning Formula
  • Why I Failed: Lessons from Leaders
  • Tantra (The Anu Files, #1)
  • When Strangers meet..
  • Happy Birthday!
  • The Prophecy of Trivine
Shatrujeet Nath is the creator of the runaway national bestseller series Vikramaditya Veergatha, a four-book mytho-fantasy arc which includes The Guardians of the Halahala, The Conspiracy at Meru and The Vengeance of Indra. Described as “a new face to Indian mythology” by DNA, Shatrujeet writes for movies and web shows as well. He is also the author of The Karachi Deception, an Indo-Pak spy thrill ...more
“The life that you are about to embrace is not that of a soldier or a commando. It is the way of the assassin.” 3 likes
“If something works, it becomes a good decision. If it doesn’t, it becomes a bad one. It’s only the consequences that make decisions look good or bad. But” 0 likes