Start by marking “Heartless” as Want to Read:
Heartless

Heartless

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  54,840 Ratings  ·  11,763 Reviews
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland—the infamous Queen of Hearts—she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

Long before she was the terror of Wonderland, she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love. Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker
Paperback, International Edition, 453 pages
Published November 8th 2016 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about Heartless, please sign up.
John YES! And this is coming from middle a aged man who doesn't read YA, Sci-fi or any of that type of stuff. I was hooked on the first couple chapters of…moreYES! And this is coming from middle a aged man who doesn't read YA, Sci-fi or any of that type of stuff. I was hooked on the first couple chapters of Cinder. It's action, adventure, romance and SCI FI all rolled into one. (less)
Laura Heff I just finished it, and it ends without any loose ends. If Marissa Meyer were so inclined, she could continue with the Kingdom of Hearts, but I'm glad…moreI just finished it, and it ends without any loose ends. If Marissa Meyer were so inclined, she could continue with the Kingdom of Hearts, but I'm glad I don't have that "I have to wait a WHOLE YEAR?!" feeling I was anticipating. I'm a middle school English teacher and am excited to use this book as my next book recommendation for my classes. Marissa Meyer does an amazing job appealing to both girls and boys - I do wish the marketing were better towards both genders. I have to "trick" a guy or two into reading her by putting them into a Cinder book club for class and then all of the sudden they are off and devouring the Lunar Chronicles as if it were their own idea - what more could a teacher ask for? Thank you, Marissa!(less)

C.G. Drews
I'm so disappointed I'm actually MAD. argh. Especially when it started off so so well with immense amounts of baking and the promise of the bizarre and creative nonsense that every Wonderland retelling should hold. BUT THEN IT WENT AND DISAPPOINTED ME SO BAD.

So again: argh.

But hush hush, don't fret, I'm going to do lists of good vs bad because that's how we roll in the Shire Wonderland.

And also, just to be clear: IT WASN'T ALL BAD. I had high expectations due to my love of the Cinder & Co an
Emily May
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,” he said, vanishing up to his neck. “They happen only in nightmares.”
His head spiralled and he was gone.

This was so good. Meyer's writing and stories just seem to keep improving, and her latest foray into the world of Alice in Wonderland was exactly the right combination of prophecy, romance, Victorian-style female repression, and weirdness. It was unputdownable.

Also: I really really want macarons right now.

I mentioned this before, but I'm star
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Cheshire’s yellow eyes slitted as he held her gaze for one beat, two. Then he began to unravel from the tip of his tail, a slow unwinding of his stripes. ‘These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,’ he said, vanishing up to his neck. ‘They happen only in nightmares.’

Honestly, I didn't have high expectations for this book after reading the "...she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love" blurb. Fortunately, I was wrong. This book was great. Don't get me wrong, it was unexpectedly dark
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Kindle US $2.99 today 11-27-17

OMG! I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THE WHITE EDITION OF THIS BOOK TO GO WITH MY BLACK ONE AND WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE TO FIND THAT IT CAME IN MY NOVEMBER OWL CRATE BOX! IN THE PICTURES I PLACED THE BLACK ONE NEXT TO THE WHITE ONE THAT WAS AN OWL CRATE EXCLUSIVE, JUST SO YOU COULD SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE TOGETHER! I LOVE THEM BOTH. ALSO GOT OTHER GOODIES IN THE BOX AS USUAL! YAY! OWL CRATE FOR GETTING THE SECOND COVER (white) AND ME GETTING IT TOO. LOL

Lets freaking do
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Review/discussion: https://youtu.be/YSd8MDc98_0

Reread January 2017
Bumped rating up to 5 stars.
I decided to reread this in a 24 hour period because I want to write a paper on it (which is of course due in a couple of days). I loved it even more the second time around!

Original reading October 2016
4.5*
I loved this, but I did have a couple of issues. I was sent the audiobook to review (and do a giveaway on my channel soon!) from Macmillan so a big thank you to them! My video review will be up soon b
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

❝Now mine eyes see the heart that once we did search for, and I fear this heart shall be mended, nevermore.❞

A big thanks to Macmillan and Fierce Reads for giving me the opportunity to snag a beautiful box and ARC of Heartless at YallWest!

(Review will be posted once we are closer to release day)

Heartless was beautifully tragic. I have no words to describe just how broken this book has left my heart.

That ending... Ugh. HEARTBREAKING.

FANS OF THE LUNAR CHRONICLES:
Beware. You might have a new f
emma
UPDATE: I think...oh god...I think this book put me in a reading slump.
-------------------------------
At a certain point, I really have to start blaming myself. Do I have no idea of my own interests? Because I truly thought this would end up on my all-time favorites shelf, my first add to an as-yet-nonexistent 2017 favorites list. Is that not a fair expectation? After all, Alice in Wonderland is my favorite book, Marissa Meyer one of my favorite authors. This came in the best Owlcrate subscripti
Nat
Dec 23, 2015 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
description
Source

This review contains *spoilers* for the first half of this book.

Heartless is an epic retelling of Alice in Wonderland, with the focus being on The Queen of Hearts.

All Catherine wants is to be declared the office tart baker of the kingdom. She and her best friend, Mary Ann, dream of launching their very own bakery. Even their friendship hit it off upon discovering one another's mutual love for food:

“One wouldn’t know it to look at Mary Ann, but she had an appetite to rival Cath’s own. The
Gillian Berry

I REQUIRE THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE IMMEDIATELY.

Marissa's announcement
Lola
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
Like many people, I hate the Queen of Hearts. But perhaps that is too strong of a word, seeing that she does entertain me. Still, I dislike her tremendously.

Which is why I needed to read this book. I needed to see what made the Queen of Hearts become such a blubbering, humourless, merciless and heartless terror.

The first chapters boggled my mind, before I got used to seeing Catherine Pinkerton being so pliable, understanding and simply GOOD. But you know what, life is different on everyone.

I act
Natalie Monroe

“When pleased, I beat like a drum. When sad, I break like glass. Once stolen, I can never be taken back. What am I?”

Slow clap for Marissa Meyer for another amazing fairy tale retelling. Looking at the blurb, it's hard to imagine Catherine, who just wanted to open a bakery and fall in love, would ever become the short-tempered, unpredictable Queen of Hearts we all know.

The transformation is incredibly well-done. You know it's coming, that there isn't a happily ever after, but that shit
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”It had been a hazy, beautiful dream, and in it there had been a hazy, beautiful boy. He was dressed all in black and standing in an orchard of lemon trees, and she had the distinct sensation that he had something that belonged to her. She didn’t know what it was, only that she wanted it back, but every time she took a step towards him he receded further and further away.”

And so it begins! The transformation of Lady Catherine Pinkerton of Turtle Rock Cove into the Queen of Hearts! When I started
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

With all due respect to the hatter, I am so mad, that's not even funny. That's what being trolled by a novel feels like, I guess. Above that, I am so, so disappointed. Indeed, it's no secret that my reading time has been seriously reduced over the previous months, making me wonder if I should stay on GR, because what's the point?! Heartless, though? It sounded so amazing that I made room for it, school and politics be damned. I wish I would have loved it, but apparently it wasn't meant to be. Si
Cait • A Page with a View
I was really looking forward to this one but feel very... underwhelmed right now. I didn't necessarily dislike anything about this book, but I didn't particularly connect with very much either.

The story follows Alice in Wonderland really well (like with the difference between the Red Queen and Queen of Hearts) and includes familiar figures like the Cheshire cat, the Jabberwock, and the mad Hatta and his tea party crew.

The basic plot is that Catherine is the eventual Queen of Hearts and is pass
Bibi
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arrrgggh... I can feel the knives being sharpened. *gulp*

So, can we talk about this book first before you send the knife my way?

Heartless is an imagined prequel to Alice in Wonderland but with its main focus being the "Queen of Hearts", she of the famous "Off with their heads" quote.

photo 26926e15-1b5c-426b-8489-6b0e19db04fa_zpslsykouv3.png

Alice in Wonderland is a fantastical story written in 1865 by Lewis Carrol, who created the glorious dystopian world of Wonderland replete with a talking cheshire cat, a bumbling rabbit, knaves, Jabberwocks and muc
Simona Bartolotta
4.5

"She would not allow fate to trick her out of this dream."

I almost didn't read this. I thought, Oh well, another retelling. It can wait. I've got more promising things to read at the moment. But when I saw how stunning this hardback was, the shallower half of me immediately decided she had to read it like yesterday.
Have I mentioned how much I love Shallow-Me?

•First of all, I think Marissa Meyer showed great wisdom in the choice of the story. Retelling the Queen of Hearts gave her the possibil
Maram
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Red Roses

"A finely crafted hat makes a person ... bolder."

This is my first novel from Marissa Meyer and I have to say that I'm very happy with what I got. I pretty much went into it with no expectation. I only knew that it's somehow a retelling of Alice in Wonderland but really, it's the villain's story before she became the notorious Queen of Hearts and that was intriguing enough for me. Yet, Meyer managed to fill it up with a beautiful and fast-paced story that I was hooked from start to end
Melanie
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Mary
Heartless blew me away. If you've been following my reviews for a while, you will know that I wasn't the biggest fan of The Lunar Chronicles. Yes, I know, I can barely believe it either. So, I went into this book not expecting much, and maybe that helped, because this book blew me away. It surpassed every expectation I set for a five star book, and it was nothing short of perfection.

Also, regarding The Lunar Chronicles, Fairest was my favorite installment in that series, and the book I gave the
Maggie
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
They were all a little mad, if one was to be forthright.

BUDDY READ WITH SUNNY, MY FAVORITE CHILD.

Okay so, it's a big surprise I enjoyed this. I knew I would simply because it's Marissa Meyer and she did not disappoint me with her Lunar Chronicles series, so I knew this would happen. Marissa is the only author that is able to write novels that captivate me from the very first sentence. To be honest, I dislike retellings a lot. I won't say I hate them, but we aren't very good friends. Every re
Tiea Martin
Sep 24, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
ANOTHER BOOK BY MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE AUTHOR?!!!??
excited photo: SNL - Excited Trek fans gif STSNLTrekkiesExcited.gif

pouting photo: goaway.gif
Anne
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF 53%
I almost never give up on a book, but...
Yikes. Um. Yeah, no.
Sorry this one just isn't for me. I tried. But, it was just too boring for my personal taste.
I should probably mention that I'm not an Alice in Wonderland fan. I've never read it, and I never plan to. In fact, I've never even made it all the way through the Disney movie. I know it's a classic and all, but even the animated version bores me.

description

I'm not saying this story is boring, just that it's boring to me.
Catherine is the daught
P
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“Roses are red, violets are blue,
I would even trim my moustache for you!”

This book is magic. I could feel it everywhere when words were recounted, when songs were chanted and when hearts were broken. Other than that, the book made me giggle continually. Catherine has the great development since the beginning. Her character is played out an exact direction as a good girl constrained by traditions. And then she meets Jest, her heart is conveyed out of the path of marrying the King of Hearts. Ca
Joel (Throne of books)
   *3.5 stars*
Heartless by Marissa Meyer is an Alice in Wonderland prequel set long before the infamous Queen of Hearts was the terror of Wonderland. Back when she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

While being one of the most beautiful girls in wonderland and a favorite of the King of Hearts, as a talented baker all Catherine wants is to open a bakery with her best friend.  Unfortunately, her parents such a dream is absurd for someone who could be the next queen.
  Not reciprocating
Sophie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I cried.

IN DEPTH VIDEO REVIEW COMING SOON.

I... am speechless.
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. — Oscar Wilde

Heartless is such an emotional masterpiece. If The Lunar Chronicles gave you a lot of feels, then this book will give you tons more. I cannot go into detail in fear of spoiling anyone. However, trust me when I say that this book won't make you think about rainbows, unicorns, cotton candy, and the like. After all, it's about the early life on an anti-hero.

Since Heartless is a prequel to Ali
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Marissa Meyer has recently become one of my honoured auto-buy authors. I read Cinder about a year and half ago, not really expecting much, and surprised myself by obsessing and devouring the rest of the Lunar Chronicles Books in record time.

I read Alice in Wonderland ten years ago and the Disney movie was one of my favourites when I was little. So, given that Heartless is an origin story for the Queen of Hearts written by Queen Marissa
Denisse
3.5Marissa, you creative human being. I love you. But YA is no longer a genre I enjoy. Heartless has both respect for the source material and enough imagination to become something unique, as it has been the author style so far. But as any YA book, it leaves its most heavy plot lines to rest in the shoulders of young romance, which I have always found difficult to read. It is a good young adult story, with great characters and great ending and I cannot not recommend a Marissa Meyer. I enjoyed th ...more
Drew
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If ever I get married, I want there to be romance, and passion. I want to fall in love.”

4 1/2 stars. This book broke my heart. What a cruel ending. And yet, I saw it coming the whole time, which probably made it even harder to bear.

Oh my goodness, this book! I loved it so much and I think I'm in danger of becoming a hardcore Marissa Meyer fan. Like, I want to go to her house and demand she write a sequel. And bring a certain character back to life. *sobs*

Heartless is an evil, torturous addict
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒

My Rating:

Synopsis:

“It was impossible, and she absolutely believed it.”

Catherine Pinkerton lives in Hearts. She is the only daughter of Marquess and Marchioness. King of Hearts fancies her to be his wife and Queen of Hearts. But Catherine has other plans. The throne of Hearts does not appeal her. She is a baker at heart and has a dream of opening her own bakery where she could make delectables that no one has ever tasted. But that is not the only thing she dreams about.

Both her dreams can
alexandra
***FULL REVIEW ORIGINALLY AT www.twirlingpages.com!

marissa meyer twisted together a tale that is different, and yet familiar.

i had high expectations going on HEARTLESS. marissa meyer is one of my favorite authors and ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of my favorite stories. naturally, the mix would be amazing. but this book is nothing like THE LUNAR CHRONICLES, and this story is not your ordinary retelling. i came to love the story and its characters, but i do have some minor complaints.

before beginni
The Universe of M...: Heartless (Stand-Alone Novel) 34 43 Jul 18, 2018 11:02AM
Who did you like the most/ the least? 8 50 Jul 18, 2018 12:32AM
Bookworm Bitches : April 2018: Heartless 19 100 May 01, 2018 07:16PM
Around the Year i...: Heartless, by Marissa Meyer 12 77 Apr 30, 2018 02:58AM
Fantastic Books a...: February 20 9 Mar 30, 2018 11:31PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #56 Heartless by Marissa Meyer 1 4 Mar 24, 2018 12:03AM
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • There's Someone Inside Your House
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Hunted
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • Fire and Heist
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
  • Twilight of the Gods
  • RoseBlood
  • By Your Side
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

More about Marissa Meyer
“But hoping," he said, "is how the impossible can be possible after all.” 370 likes
“It is a dangerous thing to unbelieve something only because it frightens you.” 302 likes