Start by marking “The Cerulean (The Cerulean Duology, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cerulean  (The Cerulean Duology, #1)

The Cerulean

(The Cerulean Duology #1)

But w
Published January 29th 2019 by HarperTeen

Start your review of The Cerulean (The Cerulean Duology, #1)
Emily May
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
“You are not like other girls, Agnes McLellan.”
“No,” she said. “I’m not.”

🙄 I really dislike giving 1 star reviews. I usually try to find something good about a book to justify bumping it up to 2. I gave The Cerulean every chance to change my mind and I kept reading right to the end, but I really didn't enjoy this book at all. It's not just one thing, but a combination of many different things that didn't work for me.

I was drawn in by the promise of an all-female sapphic society where each gi
Savannah Holland
DNF @ 50%
- One Of the coolest worlds/concepts ive ever read BUT
- NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I BEEN QUEER BATED SO HARD
- THE MC IS THE ONLY STRAIGHT GIRL IN HER ENTIRE CULTURE OF POLY LESBIANS
- THERE IS ANOTHER LESBIAN MC BUT SHES “NOT LIKE OTHER GIRLS” THIS IS LITERALLY A LINE IN THE BOOK
-DISHONOR ON U AND UR COW
- THIS CONCEPT DESERVED BETTER. WE DESERVED BETTER

I'm also updating on Dec 7 bc I realized I never mentioned the blatant racism bc i was so wrapped up in the homophobia. But yeah the brown pe
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I strongly believe in not rating DNFs but man, I skimmed enough of this book and I need y'all to pay attention to this mess.

This story is about a STRAIGHT girl, part of a species that doesn't even have males. She grew up in a polyam sapphic society.
Due to circumstances she gets to this other planet and sees males for the first time. AND OF COURSE she's actually been attracted to "males" all this time. IT LITERALLY DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.
"This was attraction. She wanted this male, the way she ha
Tori Kiersten Frost
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at p. 391 of 483

The title character is the only straight girl from an all-lesbian alien society. She has a straight coming-out scene. No, really.

Oh, and her all-lesbian society decides she needs to be ritually murdered in order to save their floating city. Which definitely does not play into homophobic fears about queer people being dangerous to children or anything.

I gave this an honest try because I wanted to make sure the MC in question wasn't a bi or ace character being misrepresented in
Hamad
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Males looked sort of like females, except they had no breasts and were taller and hairier and meaner.”

🌟 Time to confess that I primarily requested this book because of it’s cover and because I thought it was a standalone (We need more Fantasy Standalones). I liked the synopsis initially but after a few weeks of requesting this I started to have second thoughts and started to lose interest in the synopsis!

🌟 That bein
Kiki
Oct 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
I'm really interested in this but the plot sounds so unrealistic lmao. The people live in "a Sapphic utopia" and yet the heroine questions it?

Ahahahahah why?
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
What I appreciate most about Ewing is her abundance of cool concepts. I loved the society she created in her Lone City trilogy, and the one conceived here was just as interesting (and even more outside the box). Concept was definitely the biggest draw here for me and easily the main reason I kept reading until the end.

Unfortunately, with that cool concept came not a whole lot of substance as far as plot was concerned. Most of the scenes featured extensive explanations about the world (which I di
Lala BooksandLala
Sep 23, 2016 marked it as on-my-radar
wtf this is the weirdest sounding plot! haha
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Edit(6): it took a year or two but we've got a series title

Edit (5): that does it, i'm gonna email the editor

Edit (4): I got to meet Amy last week. She's super funny and nice. buttttttt.... THIS IS STILL AN UN-F*CKING-TITLED DUOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!! HARPERCOLLINS ARE YOU OKAY?

Edit (3): Stillll untitled duology.

Edit (2): It's officially published and STILL UNTITLED DUOLOGY.

Edit: It's still untitled. COME ON HARPERCOLLINS SHAKE A LEG

This book comes out in a month and it's still an untitled duology.

GET
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Sep 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-la-la-la
"The Cerulean tells the story of Sera, who lives in a Sapphic utopia where all women have three mothers and a young woman is chosen every 100 years to be abandoned on the planet below as a sacrifice."

Oookaaaaay.

description

Why not?
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
God, THE JEWEL was such an outrageous clusterfuck that I feel obligated to read this and report back after chronicling that first saga of um-wtf-is-going-on-here.

I see that this is promoting itself as a Sapphic society but I'm having visions of GATE TO WOMEN'S COUNTRY meets ROMEO AND JULIET, so let's not hold our collective breaths just yet
chloe
Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hard-pass
why do straight ppl wanna be oppressed so bad ??? get a hobby
Seema Rao
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Books are part of society. Writers don't get to step out of our norms, and they need to conscientious about the inadvertent racism and homophobia their stories suggest. This is not a world where your book can just be. There is no world like that. When you share racism and homophobia, you are complicit. This book is definitely not for any queer POC reader (or really for any conscientious citizen of the world.)

Seema Rao Write : Instagram| Blog| Twitter|
Emily (emilykatereads)
This is officially the biggest disappointment of 2019, and it's only a month in.

Can someone explain to me why this book has been hyped as a sapphic utopia for so long so, and now the official blurb has nothing about this sapphic world, and what we're actually getting is a boring fantasy about a straight girl???

Oh I know, it's so this book gets all the credit of being diverse and giving us a glimpse of this poly sapphic society of all magical woman in the beginning of the book, but then gives us
Celia McMahon
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper for the E-ARC.

Okay. *deep, ragged breaths* What in the world did I just read?

There may be some spoilers so read at your own risk.

First off, we have one of those apparent protagonists. She doesn't quite fit in. She wonders about things she shouldn't be wondering about. She doesn't like girls they way others do-

I'll back up.

Sera lives in a floating city in space. I have dubbed this place, Floaty City. That is the jist of it. Her society is made up entirely of fema
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Edward
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy-read, ya-read
Boring at best; homophobic and racist at worst. It's such a shame. The cover is so pretty. "Don't judge a book by its cover" never gets old.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Sera has always felt as if she didn’t belong among her people, the Cerulean. She is curious about everything and can’t stop questioning her three mothers, her best friend, Leela, and even the High Priestess. Sera has longed for the day when the tether that connects her City Above the Sky to the earthly world below finally severs and sends the Cerulean to a new planet. But when Sera is chosen as the sacrifice to break the tether, she doesn’t kno
Hannah Greendale
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
DNF at page 100.
Kayla
Dec 05, 2018 marked it as pile-of-shame  ·  review of another edition

I GOT AN ARC FROM EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS ACTUALLY APPROVED ME FOR AN ARC AND IT'S FOR ONE OF MY MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASES OF THE YEAR

for the record this comes out jan 29 not feb 5
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
So, I didn't even know this was a thing until everyone was dogging it on twitter. When I saw that it was triggering people, I just had to read it and oh boy, do I have my opinion to share. Because I read the book, I didn't just go off what someone else said because I'm a thinking human with my very own brain! Shocking in today's world when some take another's review as their own opinion without even reading the damn book themselves.

Anyway, rant over. Let's talk about the book.

This book follows f
Biz
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
read this book for kicks this past week and it's just as bad as everyone says and I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, but this book was so terrible and tone-deaf that I thought I was hallucinating or some shit.

Legitimately I would not have been surprised if I got to the end and the last paragraph said "wouldn't it be fucked up if this was real? I'm rod sterling and you're watching the twilight zone"

Would not recommend this book to anyone unless you're a cishet author trying to w
Avery
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fuck you and your stupid fucking straight bullshit...
Also screw your racism
Melissa
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to have an early copy of this book from HarperCollins Canada. Thank you for this!! I was psyched when I received it, because the synopsis was so promising, and I really liked the book!

The story is told from four different characters point of view, enabling us to know the thoughts of Agnes, Leo, Sera and Leena. It touches different kinds of love, as well as different kinds of magic. Everything is unfolding very fast in the second part of the book, so much that I was constantly lo
Amanda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

The Cerulean is a fantasy that I tried really hard to get an advanced review copy of because I loved Amy Ewing’s previous series. I was so thrilled when I got a copy from Edelweiss. The cover s absolutely stunning and I really liked Amy Ewing’s first two books in The Lone City series, so I went in with super high expectations. I am pleased to say that it was not a disappointing read.

I loved the characters. Sera was intrig
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

One thing I must say about this book, before we get into its entirety, is that the first say, 15% had me crying, smiling, in awe... and then lots more crying but look, emotions are good! I was in freaking love with this magical world in the sky. In. Love. And okay, I don't read synopses before starting a book, but some of the stuff is easy to predict regardless. That was okay, it didn't
Megan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Man, are you kidding me? Only a white straight person could have come up with this. I’ve never been so queer-baited or confronted with such flagrant racism in my life.
Amanda
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
*review to come*

• Cogito
  • Les 7 vies de Léo Belami
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Extincta
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • Engrenages et Sortilèges
  • Ashes Falling for The Sky 2
  • L'Arrache-mots
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Ashes falling for the Sky
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • The Black Coats
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an

The Cerulean Duology (2 books)
  • The ​Alcazar (The Cerulean Duology, #2)