Start by marking “Mrs. Zant and the Ghost” as Want to Read:

Mrs. Zant and the Ghost

Mrs Zant has recently lost her beloved husband, and while walking in the Kensington Gardens, the spot where she and her deceased husband declared their love for each other, she feels his presence trying to warn her of some coming danger.

Mr Rayburn witnesses it all, and he'll have to fight his own incredulity regarding the supernatural and his gut feeling that t
Audible Audio, unabridged Audible download, 2 pages
Published December 23rd 2015 by Audible Studios (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Zant and the Ghost, please sign up.
Daniel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Candace
'Mrs. Zant and the Ghost' is a classic Victorian ghost story, recently offered as an Audible freebie. Since it was free, I figured I'd give it a go, even though it wasn't a story that really appealed to me. Unfortunately, my initial impression proved accurate.

Mrs. Zant is recently widowed. She has taken to walking in the gardens, where she and her husband first professed their love to one another. While in the gardens, she believes that she sees the ghost of the husband that she love
Montzalee Wittmann
By: Wilkie Collins
Narrated by: Gillian Anderson
This audible book has a lovely feel to it and hearing Gillian Anderson's voice adds to this richness, and lush appeal. It makes you feel you are back in 1930's, and overseas, where there is a prim and proper way to do everything.
Ms Anderson's voice leads us on a mournful tale of a wife who recently lost her husband of just a short time. A brother-in-law that is trying to take advantage of her, and a widower
Char
Mrs. Zant and the Ghost was a sweet little ghost story.

Even though it wasn't scary, it was entertaining, and I thought that Gillian Anderson did a decent job of narrating the tale. A little bit more distinction between the voices would have been nice, but this book was short, so it was just a slight annoyance.

Recommended for fans of ghost stories, (though I would recommend the volumes of M.R. James before this one.)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This was okay. I started it a couple of months ago and stopped after 8 minutes because the narration was driving me crazy. I liked Gillian Anderson's performance much better today and was able to finish the story. It wasn't particularly exciting but it was a decent story in the end.

December 2015
Free Audible pre-order! Narrated by Gillian Anderson!! http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Mrs...

Dolors
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
A short tale of ghosts and love.
Mrs Zant has recently lost her beloved husband and while walking in the Kensington Gardens, the spot where she and her deceased husband declared their love for each other, she feels his presence trying to warn her of some coming danger.
Mr. Rayburn witnesses it all and he'll have to fight his own incredulity regarding the supernatural and his gut feeling that the disturbed young woman is telling the truth.
Collins at his best, much better than "The
Latasha
Gillian Anderson was fantastic.
Bettie

Opening: THE course of this narrative describes the return of a disembodied spirit to earth, and leads the reader on new and strange ground.

Not in the obscurity of midnight, but in the searching light of day, did the supernatural influence assert itself. Neither revealed by a vision, nor announced by a voice, it reached mortal knowledge through the sense which is least easily self-deceived: the sense that feels.
Mary
Wilkie Collins needs no introduction. I have always wanted to read this short tale. Thankfully I chose the audio version. Excellent choice! Gillian Anderson's performance as Mrs. Zant is solid. The narrative tone she breathes into the eerie content is, in my opinion, hypnotic perfection. Each character is distinguishable; one can feel Mrs. Zant's emotional distress. This is a great, old fashioned ghost story mixed with one part mystery - which Collins did so very well. Influenced by Dickens, Wil ...more
Kelly
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this via the audiobook with Gillian Anderson's narration. It brought so much to the book and I immensely enjoyed it.
Melanti
A nice, simple ghost story.

Not quite up to the standards of The Woman in White or The Moonstone, but enjoyable.
Christine
Not Collins' best, but an enjoyable ghost story, especially with Andersen's reading.
Cheri
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes folks get what they deserve.

I thoroughly enjoyed this short story made even better by the fantastic narration performed by Gillian Anderson. That accent! Swoon!
Bandit
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. So this is the way to enjoy Wilkie Collins for those like me for whom Victorian scary tales generally don’t scare or even entertain all that much. Get Gillian Anderson to narrate them. And not Scully Anderson, we’re talking DS Gibson, proper British accent and all. And still Mrs. Zant and The Ghost leave something to be desired, but at least it’s nice to listen to. The writing is perfectly elegant, but like so many other fights of antiquity (yes, this is a nod to M.R. James, the man whose ta ...more
Cathy
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A classic Victorian ghost story, first published in 1885, which I got as an Audible freebie. Narrated by Gillian Anderson (X-Files).

I found it to be a pretty dull ghost story, with the stereotypical gender roles of the time.

Gillian Anderson's narration was a bit breathy for my taste and the different characters were not terribly distinct and pretty much in the same register, regardless of situation.

It was short, it was free, it was ok.
John Frankham
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-pre-1900
A 76-page novella. Supernatural short story written especially for the young Anne (Nannie) Wynne. It was originally published as 'The Ghost's Touch' in The Irish Fireside, 30 September - 14 October 1885; Harper's Weekly, 23 October 1885; and in The Ghost's Touch and Other Stories (with 'My Lady's Money' and 'Percy and the Prophet', Harper's Handy Series, no 30, 1885).

Mr Rayburn, a widower, and his young daughter, Lucy, meet the widowed Mrs Zant in Kensington Gardens while she seems t
Patrick
Gillian Anderson's performance elevates Wilkie Collins's good story to greatness.
Laurie Notaro
We write much better ghost stories now.
Ian

A short supernatural tale from Wilkie Collins.

Mrs. Zant and the Ghost is a story of loss and renewal. Belief in the hereafter.

While Mr. Rayburn and his young daughter are in Kensington Gardens, they witness a woman who looks disturbed. Not wishing the lady to come to any harm, Mr. Rayburn follows her home and the tale unfolds.

I really enjoyed this short story from Wilkie Collins, it had just the right touches to hold you and keep you turning the pages. And it definitely
Kelly
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Zant and the Ghost Mrs. Zant and the Ghost is a simple ghost story. Not spooky, not particularly exciting and quite predictable. Of course I need to remember this was written back in the 1800s and I am sure much more fresh and intriguing back then.

Mrs. Zant recently lost her husband, a mere few weeks after their wedding. While walking her dog in Kensington Gardens, a place that was special to both of them, she feels his presence. This is witnessed by Lucy, a child, who is playi
Rod
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm liking some of these actor-narrated Audible books (Bill Nighy - The Collectors by Philip Pullman, Claire Danes - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, Benedict Cumberbatch - The Spire by William Golding, Sissy Spacek - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee), and this one is no exception. Don't know how simply reading this would have struck me--seems like a solid ghost story, if that's not an oxymoron of some kind--but Gillian Anderson's narration strengthened the eerie mood for me. Treat you ...more
Rebecca
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I listened to this as an audio book and thought that Gillian Anderson was a fantastic narrator. This had a very classic Victorian ghost story feel to it, while still being ever so subtle. The characters have very interesting backgrounds and are quite developed for a short story. I loved some of the earlier moments I had of trying to decide whether or not I myself believed the narrator's account of things - or if she really is very grief stricken and having a hard time coping with her loss.
Magen
Odd and somewhat incomplete tale, but engaging.
A man and his daughter come accross an apparently mad, ill woman in a London park.
Margo
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A love story first and fore most, and then a ghost. Mr Wilkie Collins is imho way superior to Dickens.
Heather
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-read
Widower Mr Rayburn is visiting Kensington Gardens with his daughter Lucy when an odd woman startles the young girl. When Rayburn approaches, he sees a pale woman dressed in deep mourning acting in a disturbed manner. He's compelled to assist her, and her story about supernatural forces fascinates him.

Collins' The Woman in White is one of my favorite Victorian period Gothic novels, and I love its convoluted plot and fantastic characters. Mrs. Zant and the Ghost is a novella with some
Michael
A delicate Victorian ghost story. This is not meant to be scary, but to provide thoughtful and thought provoking entertainment. The plot was a bit reminiscent of the movie “Ghost.” Very quick read. It was perfect for today’s ride down to Cape May, NJ.
Kristina Sanchez
Weird. Quick read. I feel like I missed something.
Shay
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2017
This was a very short but interesting spooky story. This classic Victorian style ghost story follows the recently widowed Mrs. Zant and her unlikely acquaintances Mr. Rayburn and his daughter Lucy.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)

I listened to this as an audio book the other day. It’s a short story by Wilkie Collins and it tells the story of Mr Rayburn, a widower with a young child who encounters a strange young woman (a widow) while he’s out walking in Kensington Gardens with his daughter. Mrs Zant, the widow, is acting really strangely, and Mr Rayburn decides to investigate. It turns out that Mrs Zant has been visited by the ghost of her late husband who is trying to warn her of some coming danger.
Mimi
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite Wilkie Collins story up to now. It starts with Mr Rayburn and his daughter coming across a strange woman in Kensington Gardens. Curious and concerned they decide to follow this woman back to were she is staying. The woman we later learn is called Mrs Zant and is a widow. The story then takes many twists and turns which I found both interesting and disappointing.

What did I like? I thought Mrs Zant seemed like an interesting character. From the moment she appears in the story I k
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Mark of the Beast
  • METAtropolis: Green Space
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 1
  • 9-11, Volume One: Artists Respond (9-11 Artists Respond, #1)
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman
  • Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad
  • Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • Alan Moore's America's Best Comics
  • Round the Fire Stories
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • The Haunting of Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #2)
  • Sorry To Bother You
A close friend of Charles Dickens from their meeting in March 1851 until Dickens' death in June 1870, William Wilkie Collins was one of the best known, best loved, and, for a time, best paid of Victorian fiction writers. But after his death, his reputation declined as Dickens' bloomed.

Now, Collins is being given more critical and popular attention than he has received for 50 years. Most of his bo