Start by marking “The Private Sector” as Want to Read:
The Private Sector

The Private Sector

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  30 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"In the tradition of 1984, Leigh M. Lane delivers a terrifying vision of the future--a horrific future that may not be so distant after all...."--Lisa Mannetti, Stoker Award-winning author of The Gentling Box and Deathwatch

The world of corporate greed runs rampant after the government's dissolution has left police, fire, and all other services once handled by the public se
Paperback, Second, 296 pages
Published April 8th 2016 by Cerebral Books (first published April 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Private Sector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Sector

really liked it 4.00  ·

Carrie
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted first on horrorblog.co.uk

Never judge a book by its cover which incidentally I didn't like. I did, however, enjoy my first read by this author. The Private Sector is set in a Dystopian future, a tale of survival in a world dependent on money. The Private Sector is a prequel to World Mart but is easily a stand alone novel.

There is a comfortably contained cast of characters, each doing life the best way they can when one step from losing everything, even debtors prison.

At times the scenes ar
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
I want to see this book get the cover art it deserves. Leigh M. Lane’s The Private Sector is terrifying. Especially right now, with a malignant cesspool of racism and greed being one of the leaders in the presidential race. There are so many things in her book that strike a chord of terror even King couldn’t incite on his best day. Because you can see it happening. Heck, you can see it happening right now! Lane’s vision of the future in The Private Sector feels almost disturbingly prophetic.

“No
Heather Lawson
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.wordpress.com/...
_________________________
In a world where everything is privatised – including the police and fire brigade – it becomes more and more difficult to just survive the day to day. When Dianne discovers that her job as an artist has been rendered obsolete by the newest craze in the wealthier society, her life begins to fall apart with one thing after another going wrong.
Intertwining Dianne’s story with that of her serum junkie sister, Je
Barred Owl Books
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lane provides an engrossing view of a dystopian American future where the privatization of public services erodes living standards.
Leticia
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, this was such a terrifying read. Not in the sense that it had jump scares or the like, but in the impact that this society could easily become our future.

Just take a moment and imagine a society where greed and corruption run rampant. Where medical costs and illness will cost you everything you hold dear. Where public services like the police or fire department have become privatized and vie for your money. Imagine a wo
Clayton Bye
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
Leigh M. Lane is the kind of author who moves silently and unseen behind her prose, her words racing along without a single bump in the literary road. The story carries us as smoothly as would a fine car on a newly paved highway--until you look up, surprised, and find that you have reached the end of your journey so quickly.

The Private Sector is a fine prequel to World-Mart and a great read all on its own. As for my thoughts about the story itself? I, for one, can see clearly how we could end up
Jonathan Woodrow
Private Sector is a story about the Irwins, a small family living in a bleak and almost-completely privatized future. Tension slowly builds as we are introduced to competing private police forces, fire fighters, schools… massive lines for gasoline, debtors prison, and a nasty recreational drug with obvious and permanent side-effects. Dianne Irwin is an artist, something that is not only frowned upon, but has been pretty much outlawed in something akin to the book burning under the Nazis.
Her husb
Al
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, kindle
The main element of a dystopian novel is to take a political direction the world or a particular country is moving and imagine the negative repercussions of going too far in that direction. In the US those who are political conservatives sometimes believe that a for profit business is preferable to accomplish certain tasks that are traditionally done by a government agency. For some things, trash collection for example, this can work out okay. But at some point it goes too far.

The world chronic
Leadie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the most frightening part of this book is the plot which may be what the future of our country will be like if we keep privatizing everything to major corporations. Enough of politics, even though you will get your dose of it in this one! A scary dose. But it's not about blood, guts and gore, it's about survival in a world dependent on money.
For me the build-up of the characters seemed a bit slow (personal preference here with stories) but the payoff is worth it. There is one main family
Naching Kassa
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this novel is like walking into someone else's nightmare. Leigh Lane has created a chilling version of the future-one where corporations rule the world. The characters in this book are three-dimensional people, ones we could relate to in our daily lives. They include: the defeated safety inspector, his disillusioned-artist wife, their innocent son, drug addicts of a blue hue, and wealthy family members. A very unsettling read for fans of dystopic literature.
Peter Manale
Overwrought soap opera only tangentially tied to near future.

If you like mediocre family dramas centered around a wife who suffers from a drug addicted sister, a cold, judgmental mother, and an unfaithful husband, you might like this book. If you are looking for a near future sci fi novel that focuses on the details of this world, you will be disappointed.
Annette
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic
Received as a free book from Goodreads

This book had me gripped from the beginning. A totally believable look into the future. Unexpected twists and turns that will keep anyone reading until the end and leave you wanting more.
Nicholas Diak
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Nicholas by: Leigh Lane
Leigh Lane’s The Private Sector is a dystopic novel in her World-Mart series. The story is a prequel to World-Mart, and is set in an alternate near-future United States that has embraced the tenants of anarcho-capitalism: America is ran by a CEO, public utilities such as the police and fire departments are privatized who resort to criminal activities to win over customers, the divide between the have and have-nots is unsurmountable, and fusion food such the Mexanese dish General Tso’s chimichang ...more
Laurie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dysfunctional families, unlikeable characters. Other reviews had me excited to read this book, but I breathed a sigh of relief at putting it down. I honestly didn't know what was happening at times, it felt as though the story skipped around a bit or left out significant parts.
Suzanne
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-sf
Lane creates a fascinating near-future world where all public-sector responsibilities (busses, schools, building code inspections, police and fire services) have been privatized. Most experts opine that market competition results in better-distributed resources, lowered costs and better services. But Lane imagines escalating violence (e.g., a fistfight between bus drivers competing for the same stop), fewer resources (long lines for gas), lawlessness (e.g., individuals refrain from calling the p ...more
Killion Slade
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that really makes you sit down and think. How often have we toyed with the thought of how a privately run organization could do a better job without all the bureaucratic red tape? This book takes you past that flirtatious dance and scares the bloody hell out of you when learning how easily corrupt the private organizations can become.

Every day we rely on services such as our police, firefighters, teachers, and even our jobs. When it gets to the point where the cost of
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
I must say that the topic matter and philosophical themes kept me reading! The concepts of a disappearing job market, an only-for-profit economy, a disbanding of public service, and disregard/contempt for arts and culture touched some deep personal chords and describe a world that is not so far removed from the one we live in today.

Mark Lewis
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leigh M. Lane is well on her way to becoming one of the finest dystopian novelists!

I read World-Mart a couple of years ago and just got a copy of The Private Sector. I love it!
John
Isaac Romero
Aug 26, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
May 07, 2015
Horror Aficionados : New Release and Giveaway: THE PRIVATE SECTOR 1 12 Apr 25, 2015 11:30AM

• Key Keeper (Tarragon, #1)
  • The Divide Book 1: Uprising
  • New Charity Blues
  • Suffocate (The Breathless, #1)
  • Crash Alive (Haylie Black #1)
  • The Reburialists
  • Paper Dolls (Dolls, #1)
  • The Raping of Ava DeSantis
  • The Bazaar
  • Cast in Blood (Revelations Series, #1)
  • The Ordinary
  • Crossing Over (Camp Rolling Hills, #2)
  • Corr Syl the Terrible
  • MGM: Saving the Best for Last: Dore Schary and the Death of MGM
  • Verse of Valor (Blue Time, #2)
  • Gang of Lovers
  • Killing Sacred (An Alex Sullivan Zen Mystery #2)
  • Enoch's Folly
In addition to writing dark speculative fiction for over twenty-five years, Leigh M. Lane has sung lead and backup vocals for bands ranging from classic rock to the blues, dabbled in fine arts, and earned a black belt in karate. She has a BA in English and graduated from UNLV Magna Cum Laude. She currently lives in the dusty outskirts of Sin City with her husband, an editor and educator, and one v ...more