Start by marking “Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)” as Want to Read:
Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)

Superman: Dawnbreaker

(DC Icons #4)

When the dawn breaks, a hero rises.

His power is beyond imagining.

Clark Kent has always been faster, stronger--better--than everyone around him. But he wasn't raised to show off, and drawing attention to himself could be dangerous. Plus, it's not like he's earned his powers . . . yet.

But power comes with a price.

Lately it's difficult to hold back and keep his heroics in the
Published March 5th 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen In addition to actual ratings based on ARCs (Advance Reader/Review Copies), which usually come with reviews explaining the rating and helping hype up …moreIn addition to actual ratings based on ARCs (Advance Reader/Review Copies), which usually come with reviews explaining the rating and helping hype up the book leading up to its release, some people will give a rating before they even read the book, based on their opinion of the author/the subject/their mood.(less)

Start your review of Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)
Emily May
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2019
I read this book after enjoying to varying degrees the other three DC Icons novels: Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Batman: Nightwalker and Catwoman: Soulstealer. I was really hoping that the author could make me love Clark Kent. A major problem for me with Superman is that he is so irredeemably boring. Growing up, I saw Spiderman as the lovable nerd, Batman as the brooding bad boy, Wonder Woman was the queer feminist, and Catwoman was a sexy rebel. Superman, though, was the douchey jock. In Dawnbreak ...more
Miranda Reads
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-series, audiobook
description

Psst. A new video is up - all about the bad books I've read this year!

Now that you know that this one is on it, check out the Worst Books of 2019 video to see what other ones made the cut!
The Actual Review
description

The storm came with little warning.
Clark Kent always knew he was different.

But now that he's in high school (aka puberty is happening) his powers are growing at an alarming pace....and there seems to be new developments every time he opens his eyes.
And the urge to dominate - wrong
emi
Nov 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
1.2.18 Update.

So Batman came out today, which is exciting and all, but this book is still a year away from its release date.

This is a crime and I will be suing.

Prereview:

So I'm not a Superman fan. He's too perfect with his sleek hair and too good of eye sight. Flying around, saving people without even asking if they want to be saved. Who does he think he is?

No, Clark Kent is where it's at. Not only is Clark kind and nerdy, but he also has a steady career, which is incredibly sexy. Whereas,
Hamad
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Wonder Woman: ★★★★
Batman: ★★
Catwoman: ★★★
Superman: ★★★

🌟 Throw back to 2 or 3 years ago when this whole series was announced and we were all excited. 4 Superhero books by 4 famous authors! Looking back, we hyped it more than it deserved and over all I was disappointed by this series.

🌟 TO be honest I didn’t know the author before this series and apparently he’s controversial and there is tea to spill when it comes to him
Adam Silvera
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as to-read
HERE FOR THIS, DE LA PENA!

Khurram
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book 3.5 but I think it deserved a round up rather then a down.

This is a Smallville style Superman novel. The writing is a bit slow, but the story is well written.

For people who are fans of the Smallville series this would be a great book. I am not such a huge fan. I did like Clark getting used to his powers. Gaining life experience. I do think the community Vs racism angle was quite well done.

The unlike the other books in the DC icons series this book stays pretty close
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF ALL THESE SUPERHERO STANDALONES HEADED OUR WAY BUT HELL YEAH COME AT ME BRO

Katelyn
May 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
What makes me saltiest of all is the fact this book has a 3.8 rating and it's not even released yet. 👏 Don't 👏 Judge 👏 The 👏 Book 👏 If 👏 Ya 👏 Haven't 👏 Read 👏 It 👏 Yet 👏
Chad
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I thought this was the most well-written of the DC Icons series. It keeps the main gist of the Superman mythos intact. Nor is Clark written as a lovesick dummy, like Bruce Wayne in Batman: Nightwalker. I liked the parallels brought in by dealing with the immigration issue when technically Superman is also an illegal alien. Clark's supporting cast, Lana, Gloria, Bryan, Jonathan all serve a purpose. I was also happy to see Clark and Lana's relationship was platonic. Clark's struggling to figure ou ...more
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Oh i did not realize this had a cover reveal! Out of all the dc icons i am most excited about this one because omg teenage clark keeeeeeeeent!!
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, soo as I predicted.. I seriously loved this book! Even though it was more of a coming of age story for Clark than a badaztec superhero’s story where he has it all figured out, it was still an awesome and entertaining read. Reading about him transitioning and getting the hang of his powers was one of the great things about this book. His friendships, and the events that were all shaping him to become Man of Steel was what made this a pretty great read. This is definitely of my favorites out ...more
elena
May 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
5/23/16

Okay Matt, please let me grow a bigger love for Superman. Not Henry Cavill, but Superman. Please.

MissBecka Gee
Decent storyline, but a little "off" in the character personalities.
The character's emotions didn't seem to develop organically, but more fractured/forced.
Gave a weird atmosphere to every conversation.
Sherna
Jul 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: do-not-read
why is this book still being published? why is matt de la pena still being given a platform? we have cancelled jay asher and james dashner and other authors accused of sexual harassment. why not matt de la pena?
don't read this book. don't support this author.
Alexandra ✨Reading By Starlight✨
A YA novel centered around SUPERMAN????

description

Um, F**K YES! FINALLY! I LOVE ME SOME CLARK KENT/SUPERMAN- #SWOON (am I right ladies)
Will 2018 hurry up already? Just take my money already :(

maegan ✷
Mar 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
so.

are we casually going to let this book be written by an author who has been accused of sexual harassing others??? this book is still set to be released next year, so please do something about this @ publishing team. change the author, please.
Suzanne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.0-3.5*.

I was torn between three stars to three and a half stars on this one. I enjoyed it for the most part but it was an underwhelming account for the man of steel. I really enjoyed all the DC Icon books (Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman) Buy really had high expectations for this one since it covered Superman. It was still good, don’t get me wrong, but like others I had high expectations.

My quick and simple overall: probably my expectations that effected my experience more so still giving
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Superman: Dawnbreaker was a bit underwhelming. It was a fast read and it was quite short. I expected the novel to be longer and have more action scenes like other DC Icons novels.
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as wishlist
4 popular YA writers each writing a Superhero novel??? HELL YES, TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

Publishing in 2017:
Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo
Batman by Marie Lu
Superman by Matt de la Pena
Catwoman by Sarah J Maas
Marwa Abdulla
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a hard read for me as I’m not a big fan of Superman. However, due to how well I liked the other DC Icons books, I decided to give it a try. But honestly, it still disappointed. Even with the whole immigrants storyline it still felt too corny; which I get is essential to Superman’s persona but still ugh.
Drewthereader20
This was such a nice ending to this series. I wish there was a sequel to this novel though. U can't leave me like that! Loved the ending, I was kind of expecting him to say what he said but u know I love a cheesy ending. Lol!(:
Rissa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Superman 3.75⭐️
Clark Kent is just trying to be a normal teenage boy at Smallville high school but his abilities are getting him into trouble.
I enjoyed the writing and the characters it wasnt great but it was really good.

Series ranking:
1. Catwoman
2. Superman
3. Batman
4. Wonder Woman
Trisha  (The Tea Reader)
Dec 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
Can someone tell me why the rest of the series is written by popular and well established YA authors, and here is the final book and I have never heard of this writer?
Nicole
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Will not read any of his books due to the accusations of sexual harassment and I believe the victims.
Yusra  ✨
Aug 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
mm i actually have a hate/love relationship with this cover
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
It pains me to give this 2 - 2.5 stars but it was not what I was expecting or hoping for. Forgive me now for saying the cover seemed to be the most enjoyable thing about this book.

Womp womp

I'll type my review soon and post.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I consider myself a huge superhero nerd and while I prefer Marvel over DC, I give everyone a chance. I have enjoyed reading the DC Icons series and was ecstatic to read the last book in the series
Kara
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, cousin, but even as a YA book this is really booorrring!

Instead of Superman, we have Selfdoubtboy.

I gave it an hour that I wish I could have back. DNF at 13%
kazually ♡
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
dnf at i don't really care and i also forgot lol

this book was really boring so i stopped reading it and also the writing style is just not really my taste :/
Luc The Reader
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, star-4, 2019
Superman Dawnbreaker is the fourth and final DC Icons book. Ever since the Icons series was announced I wanted to collect them. Being a fan of all the superhero movies that are coming out with a rapid speed I was curious if DC could pull me in. Mixing YA authors with teenage superheroes did seem a good idea.

The story is about superman (duh). Clark Kent is a sixteen-year-old living in smallville, a small community somewhere in Kansas. Lately people have been disappearing. Not just everybody but
Brittany
This is the first book I have ever read by Matt de le Pena, so I didn't have any expectations about him. Unfortunately I DID have expectations of Superman... and I felt let down.

The biggest issue of this book was pacing for me. It wasn't even a very long book, and yet much of it after the beginning felt slow and boring and by the time we had any superman action it was too late.

There was a weird amount of time spent on what Lana Lane was wearing... and that brings me to another point that was a

• Batman: Nightwalker
  • آزادی دیو در بند
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Black Widow: Forever Red (Black Widow, #1)
  • Refraction
  • Sherwood
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • Red Vengeance (Black Widow, #2)
  • سندروم ژولیت
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • تهران 9413
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Stepsister
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • Triple Threat (Lois Lane, #3)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Sorry For Your Loss
Matt de la Peña is the New York Times best-selling, Newbery-medal-winning author of six young adult novels and four picture books. Matt received his MFA in creative writing from San Diego State University and his BA from the University of the Pacific, where he attended school on a full athletic scholarship for basketball. de la Peña currently lives in Brooklyn, NY. He teaches creative writing and ...more

DC Icons (5 books)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)
  • Black Canary: Breaking Silence (DC Icons, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Matt de la Peña answers all our questions about the latest and final installment of the DC Icons series.
“We can’t be spectators our whole lives, right? At some point we have to take a risk. Step into the action.” 1 likes
“Unfortunately, her mother and her tutors were more focused on what Diana referred to as the Dire Warnings: War. Torture. Genocide. Pollution. Bad Grammar.” 0 likes