Start by marking “The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)

The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
In an anthology of revolution and resistance, a sisterhood of YA writers shines a light on a century and a half of heroines on the margins and in the intersections.

To respect yourself, to love yourself—should not have to be a radical decision. And yet it remains as challenging for an American girl to make today as it was in 1927 on the steps of the Supreme Court. It's a de
Published March 13th 2018 by Candlewick Press

Elise (TheBookishActress)
After a fairly shaky first half, I adored the second half of this. All the characters are the best, basically.

★☆☆☆☆: 0
★★☆☆☆: 1
★★★☆☆: 2
★★★★☆: 5
★★★★★: 4

My average rating for this anthology was a surprisingly high... 4.0. Did you expect that? Because I totally did not. Halfway through this anthology, I was prepared to give it a big old three, and then I hit three five stars in a row and this happens.

Okay, so here’s my really big gripe with this anthology. It is marketed as being about radical gir
Nat
Mar 15, 2018 marked it as dnf
description
I recently answered the PARKS AND REC book tag (and had THE MOST FUN doing so), wherein I featured this collection for Tom Haverford's A character who likes to dream big.

Here is what I wrote taken directly from the tag:

January was also the month where I received the opportunity to read an incredible short story written by Dahlia Adler in The Radical Element anthology. Daughter of the Book was the introducing story to the collection, and my immediate first thought upon completing it went, "I don
Erin Bowman
Apr 01, 2016 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm so excited (and honored!) to be contributing to this anthology, and yes, you can expect me to write something set in the Wild West. Yeehaw! (Teaser here)

Update 5/22, after having read all contributors' stories: Much like with A Tyranny of Petticoats, I loved this anthology and the wonderful mix of stories it provides. The girls featured in this book are radical, indeed, and I can't wait for you to read about them! :)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Definitely the weakest of the two anthologies in this series. My favourite was definitely Sara Farizan's 'Take Me With U'!

Daughter of the Book by Dahlier Adler - 3.5/5 stars
Glamour by Anna-Marie McLemore - 4/5 stars
Better For All the World by Marieke Nijkamp - 3/5 stars
When The Moon Isn’t Enough by Dhonielle Clayton
Dahlia
Mar 31, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
So, so excited and honored to be contributing to this anthology, and cannot wait to read everyone else's stories!
alice (arctic books)
You can find this review and others at arctic books

2.5/5 stars

I’m starting to think that anthologies are just Not For Me. The past few anthologies that I’ve read had good content, but I just haven’t been into them as much as I wish I had. That being said, THE RADICAL ELEMENT contains amazing short stories from stellar YA authors.

These twelve short stories are diverse in so many ways – there’s queer people, people of color, people with disabilities – I found myself in a few characters, especially
Acqua
The Radical Element is a historical fiction anthology about radical and dauntless young women throughout American history. It follows girls ahead of their times, marginalized girls, girls who were in some way unconventional.

It’s the second book in a series. The first, A Tyranny of Petticoats, followed brave and “badass” girls; I read it more than a year ago, and I remember having mixed feelings on it. I liked this one a bit more, though it had its low points too.

Overall, this didn't disappoint.
Clara
I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A friend of mine recommended me the first anthology, so when this one has been added to Netgalley I knew I had to ask for it. If you don't know what it's about, The Radical Element is basically an anthology about all those women who didn't fit in the society they were born in and who had to fight to get a chance to be heard.

It's always so hard to review anthologies, and it's still the case here, but the subject is so importa
Stacey Lee
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm excited for this collection of important stories from little-heard voices, and hope you are, too! I just finished this book, and here are my thoughts on each story, for those wondering what's inside.

Daughter of the Book, by Dahlia Adler. Rebekah wants to learn the Torah, Hebrew, and about the prophets, subjects off limits to girls in Savannah 1838. Dahlia writes with such command and understanding that suddenly Rebekah's struggles become the reader's.

You're a Stranger Here, Mackenzi Lee pro
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As an American girl in the past and the present the decision to respect yourself can sometimes be challenging and radical. You have to face it whether you're neurodivergent, a second-generation immigrant, or facing racism. Self-respect is the only decision when you've weighed societal expectations and found them wanting. In this anthology, twelve talented YA authors present stories of all sorts of girls from all colors and creeds
Kristen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, e-books, young-adult
I'm not a huge fan of short story collections. To me, they either don't give you enough of the story to feel it was worth your time, or they get you hooked and then leave you wanting more. I decided to request this arc from Netgalley because I am a fan of Jessica Spotswood's writing. Overall, I ended up liking this more than I expected. It was extremely diverse and feminist. Here's my individual ratings for each story:

Daughter of the Book by Dahlia Adler: 2.5/5
You’re a Stranger Here by Mackenzi
Xiomara Canizales
"If we limit equality, we can never be truly equal"

Rating: 3.5

Anthologies are hard to review and rate.
The stories are short and straight to the point so you are not going to find too much depth in them. The main subject of the stories it is 'girls who find their way in an atmosphere where everything has against them'. I think is the best way I can describe the book in one sentence.
The stories take place in the US, the authors did their best including as much representation as they could, as th
Rachel Strolle
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fave stories: Daughter of the Book (Dahlia Adler), Better For All the World (Marieke Nijkamp), When Moonlight Isn't Enough (Dhonielle Clayton), and Land of the Sweet, Home of the Brave (Stacey Lee)
thepessimisticreader
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

1838: Savanah, Georgia
Daughter of the Book by Dahlia Adler
⭐⭐⭐
Interesting and educational about the Jewish faith, I did not know that women were not allowed to learn the Books of the Torah. There was very little action and it seemed to end abruptly.

1844: Nauvoo, Illinois
You're a Stranger Here by Mackenzi Lee
⭐⭐⭐
The main character is very interesting, it's informational about the
Marina
3.5

I was introduced to Jessica Spotswood through her first anthology project A Tyranny of Petticoats, which featured 15 stories about badass women. I don’t remember much of it, but I know I gave it a 3/5 rating because the stories were good and fantastical, but nothing special or memorable for me. I decided to give this one a go since I’m into anthologies lately, and to see if these are better than the first collection. I wasn’t disappointed, but neither was I thrilled.

The stories range from ear
Lucie
Actual rating: 3.83 stars (you do get weird ratings when you read anthologies)

I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Reviewing and rating anthologies is usually tricky, because you can't always love all of the short stories they are made of; yet, for The Radical Element, I can say that I enjoyed all of them and that the messages the anthology was trying to get through were executed well. The Radical Element is an empowering read that focuses on young women who di
Skyeler
Mar 11, 2018 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: 2018-releases, arcs
I will be updating this review for each story I finish, and will post my complete review after I complete the anthology, so stay tuned!

Daughter of the Book
Dahlia Adler
2 stars
While this story was incredibly insightful into Jewish tradition and belief, I found it bland and forgetful. I think it's an important story to show women and the struggles of religion they faced/still face in some places today, but I felt I was reading a history lesson rather than a fictional story. However, I liked the c
Keri
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Radical Element is a collection of short fictional stories that gives unique glances into lives that aren’t usually thought about when one reflects on history. Reading these tales, I found that they both inspired me and made me laugh, which in my opinion are some of the best things that books can do. I’m typically not one to pick up short story collections, so I was surprised to find myself enjoying this book far more than I expected to.

This books consists of 12 short stories from the YA au
Ingrid
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
** An ARC is generously provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **

Daughter of the Book by Dahlia Adler - 3 stars.
This story is about a Jewish education. I really enjoyed our main character Rebekah Wolf, but didn't care for the love interest or the plot that much.

You're a Stranger Here by Mackenzi Lee - 3.5 stars.
This story focuses on the Mormon history. I enjoyed the writing style but wasn't fully invested in the plot.

The Magician by Erin Bowman - 5 stars.
I really enjoyed this st
Alexa
This is a shortened version - read the full review on my blog.

LGBTQAI+: Sapphic main and side characters in a couple of stories, and a transgender man LI in one
Sex on page: No

I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have so much love to give to this anthology.

At first glance, I loved the way the stories are in a chronological order, and the year + setting is clearly stated right before every story. Then I started reading, and I’m not kidding when I say that I fell i
Dawnie
*Thanks to Netgalley, the Publisher and the authors for providing me with a free e-copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review!*

I thought i would love this book way more than i ended up doing. But on the other hand i honestly expected this anthology collection to be a bit more... science based? Maybe that is my mistake from taking the title to literally.

All 12 stories in this book are good. They are interesting, they show great parts of American history that should be mentioned m
Bright Star
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an ARC copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Radical Element was the second anthology in the series of Tyranny of Petticoats and follows the stories of girls "who were outsiders and/or radical in their communities, whether by virtue of their race, religion, sexuality, disability, gender, or the profession they were pursuing" and did everything in their power to change their life for the better, following their dreams and hopes.

It was a good collection of short sto
Shenwei
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
a few of the stories took a while to get into/didn't engage my interest as much but overall, I enjoyed the anthology and appreciated the inclusion of multiple WOC, whose stories were what made the anthology for me.

if there's another anthology like this one I would hope to see Native girls' and trans girls' voices & stories included.
Mary H
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as to-read
WANT WANT WANT YES PLZ
Ben Babcock
Last year I reviewed A Tyranny of Petticoats , which came on my radar because I received it in a Book Mail box from Book Riot. When I saw The Radical Element on NetGalley, I wanted to see how the second volume of this anthology series compared. Thanks to NetGalley and Candlewick Press for the eARC! I adored this book for what it is, and while I didn’t love every story, it was a great end-of-the-week read.

The Radical Element is also edited by Jessica Spotswood, but you don’t need to have read A
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
**I received an ARC of this book thanks to NetGalley, and am very grateful for the opportunity to review this free of charge.**

The Radical Element, edited by Jessica Spotswood, is a short-story anthology about women living radically in their specific time period or setting. I’d been eagerly awaiting this anthology, especially after reading such a great one recently.
The main reason I requested this book was because of the addition of a story by Anna-Marie McLemore. However, I requested it with th
Isabella
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tatsächliche Bewertung: 3,7 Sterne. Es leben die krummen Zahlen von Anthologien!

Spaß beiseite: Wenn ihr gerne historische Fiktion lest, die nicht nur Geschichten umfasst, die schon tausend Mal erzählt wurden, dann seid ihr hier richtig. Zwölf Autorinnen sind zusammen gekommen, um zwölf Geschichten zu schreiben, die allesamt von Mädchen erzählen, die sich den Erwartungen ihrer Zeit nicht fügen wollen, die für ihren Platz in der Welt kämpfen. Die Geschichten sind chronologisch geordnet und spielen
Kelly
This, along with the first book, make such an excellent addition to historical YA fiction. Many of these short stories could do well as full-blown books, but it wasn't to the detriment of the stories themselves.

Favorites in the collection came in the second half, in part because I find the 1900s more interesting than the 1800s. Tops stories would be "Step Right Up" by Spotswood, "Glamour" by Anna-Marie McLemore, "Land of the Sweet, Home of the Brave" by Stacey Lee, "The Birth of Susi Gogo" by Me
Taylor Wilson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a historical fiction novel full of stories that show that women are treated just as women in the 1920s. A group of brilliant young-adult, female authors got together to write this beautiful anthology of stories showing that the right for women to love and respect themselves does not have to be a radical movement. The stories are wonderful and I enjoyed reading every last one of them. I hope this series of books continues so I can read more.
Greyson (Grey) Edwards
A Tyranny of Petticoats Series Ratings:
A Tyranny of Petticoats: TBR
The Radical Element: ★★★★

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.

We need empathy now more than ever. We need to read stories about, and especially by, voices that have been traditionally silenced and erased from history. We need curious, open-minded, open-hearted teenagers (and adults!) like you.

The Radical Element is an anthology dedicated to the girls who refuse to play
Play Book Tag: The Radical Element - Jessica Spotswood - 4 stars 2 11 May 03, 2018 07:02PM
  • Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
  • untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • The Queens of Innis Lear
  • That Inevitable Victorian Thing
  • Odd & True
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • All the Crooked Saints
  • Retribution Rails (Vengeance Road, #2)
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • A Season of Daring Greatly
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • The Year I Learned Everything
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Iron Cast
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • Puddin' (Dumplin', #2)
  • Amal Unbound
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
Author. Editor. Feminist. Slytherpuff.

I live in Washington, DC with my playwright husband, where I also work as a children's library associate for the DC Public Library.

If you're interested in interviews or guest posts, please contact me at jessica.shea.author@gmail.com.
More about Jessica Spotswood

A Tyranny of Petticoats (2 books)
  • A Tyranny of Petticoats (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“The beds of civilization shifted in favor of men.” 0 likes