Start by marking “Balto and the Great Race” as Want to Read:
Balto and the Great Race

Balto and the Great Race

It's 1925 and Balto, a Siberian husky, lives a quiet existence as a sled dog in Nome, Alaska, until tragedy strikes. Dozens of children in the remote town of Nome become sick with diphtheria. Without special medication, they will perish -- and the closest supply is 650 miles away. The only way to get the medication to Nome is by sled, but can the sled dogs get there in tim ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Scholastic

Kelsey
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a good overview for young readers who might be interested in the true story of Balto and/or the origins of the Iditarod. I picked it up because it was the only Kindle book about Balto available from our public library and I wanted a better sense of the history to help support a unit of study some of our 7th graders are doing. Balto and the Great Race would be a fun read aloud with younger students.

The story is enhanced by explanations of what happened to Balto after the famou
Shao Pheng
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Balto and the Great Race is about a race using dogs and sleds to get the diphtheria vaccine to the city of Nome, Alaska. The train couldn't get to Nome because of the snow.

Balto was the lead dog used by Kassen Gunner to lead sled dogs. Balto was the lead dog because he knew the track the best and was the fastest. The plot is about helping others. Balto and Kassen had to run 53 miles across Alaska because the sled team at Point Safety who was supposed take over wasn’t there. Balto and
Moonkiszt
Listened to in Yachats, Oregon by 6 of 8 grandkids. . .it was early and cold and was great atmosphere to accompany the telling of this tale! And then the sun came out as the sled rounds the bend. . .and the day is saved and we are warmed. A Kodak moment!
Dave
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t know the Iditarod was created to commemorate a serum run by mushers to a town in Alaska. It was fascinating to read how and why that trip was made. It’s a real story with fictional action, but with as much truth as the author could find. Very neat way to tell the story.
Jontayshela
This book is amazing
Melanie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ella-5th-grade
Great!
Laurie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You would like it because it was exiting. If you like dogs you would like this book because the main character is a dog. If you like true stories you would like this book. - William
Jacklyn Nicklin
This was a nice telling of the story i feel like u can learn from this story and how everything true hopefully and everything it met be for kids but I enjoy.
Ariel
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, non-fic
A love, stirring account of the famous trek 1926, in which dog sled teams brought diphtheria antitoxin from one end of Alaska to the other to save a whole village of sick people. This is the basis of the Iditarod. It's also a wonderful celebration of the dogs who worked so bravely and so hard to make their way through blizzards, treaties well below zero and hazardous cracking ice underfoot. The bond between people and dogs is a mysterious and inspiring thing, and this story brings it home to you ...more
Amanda Denter
Balto and the Great Race was a very interesting book with a lot of information on an event that courage and skill to meet the needs of the people that were getting sick and dying. I would definitely recommend reading this book to children; as I did to my daughter.

The Man Who Walked between the Towers is an astonishing book about a young boy named Philippe Petit with a will to be extraordinary. In 1974, Petit believed he could go anywhere that two object lined up vertically. He set ou
Amelia
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching-reading
Balto and the Great Race is a non-fiction chapter book that engages children in learning about the story of Balto, the sled dog who helped save people of Nome from diphtheria. The language used in this story is powerful and can challenge many students to expand their vocabulary knowledge. In addition the sketched illustrations depict the sadness, excitement and triumph that occurs throughout this story.

I found this to be wonderful book to use for literacy groups. Since, this culture
Anthonyc chilton
Patricia Holland
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Response: I feel that Kimmel did a great job researching and delivering this story. This is a classic story that I fell in love with when I watch the movie rendition when I was younger. It is a great story about perseverance and a wonderful way to introduce the history of Balto.

Teaching Implication: This would be a great introduction to a research project. In teams they could research the history of sled teams and why they were created, diphtheria and Alaskan terrain and so on. They
Erin Kelley
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this book is the very first couple of pages. You want to learn more about this dog and the rest of his crew. Once diphtheria struck the town of Nome it was up to these courageous dog to deliver medicine to the town before they all died. There are many lessons that this story teaches-history, geography, courageousness, teamwork, and the bond between man and dog.
Tessa
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
I sat down to read a chapter or two with the kids and they were so enthralled that we ended upreading the whole thing in one sitting! This is a great tribute to a wonderful group of people and dogs who worked so hard to help children they didn't even know. Later, it would be children who helped rescue Balto and his team. Dogs are wonderful creatures!
Crystal Chatham Housman
Wonderful non-fiction story of Balto, the Alaskan sled dog who helped deliver medicine to the community of Nome during a diphtheria outbreak. This is a young readers' chapter book of about 100 pages. Read it after purchasing for my nephew.
Amy
Read after seeing Balto at the Cleveland Natural History Museum. It was well done and we were both highly entertained and educated by the story!

Bea didn't like that the cover picture of Balto (the only one in color) is not accurate.
Morgan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because when I was little I loved the cartoon film and feel in love with it then In 5th grade I read this in class and its amazing to read what they went through to save little kids I know I would try to do this but I don't thing it would go this good I love this book.
Julia
Apr 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
NOOOOOO!!!

I don't hate a whole lot of books, but this was one that I could definitely do without.

I read this in 2nd grade, thinking it would be fun because I love the balto statue in Centeral Park.

Little did I know- worst. book. ever.
Terri
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun read about the Famous Balto who led his team through the last leg of the great serum race to get serum to those sick with Diptheria in Nome through absolutely horrible storm conditions.
Josephine
Audrey read this book to me. She rated it 3 stars. She liked it. She did a book report on it for school (they were supposed to read a biography and her teacher told her she was the first ever to do a biography of an animal).
Anyway, it was a good book and a neat story.
Angela
My son enjoyed Balto, and it was a nice, shorter chapter book for a beginning reader. I didn't realize until I skimmed the pages that the true events in this story were the inspiration for the Ididarod sled race. Balto is a good introduction to non-fiction for newly, independent readers.
Thayer
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story and look forward to sharing it with my students. They are going to love the the connection to our hometown of Cleveland, Ohio.
Amanda
great book dogs are cool
Weisser
Quick easy read but nothing to write home about.
Bree
Notes:
more detail than Sled Dog of Alaska
nice b/w drawings
mentions of Togo also
Brooke
Heart warming adventure story.
Amy
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good book for young children about the amazing race that saved children's lives. Very inspirational and enjoyable
Salena
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this every year to my third graders, and it's gets better every time!
NewFranklin School
I think it was awesome and sad because balto dies at the end. :(

• Togo
  • Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers
  • Our Solar System
  • Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark
  • Paddington Treasury (Paddington Bear)
  • George Washington's Breakfast
  • Titanicat
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • North American Indians
  • Who Was Louis Armstrong?
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks! (Step Into Reading)
  • Cleopatra