Start by marking “Didn't Get Frazzled” as Want to Read:
Didn't Get Frazzled

Read Book

Didn't Get Frazzled

“…the best fictional portrayal of med school since ER.” – BlueInk Review (starred)

International Book Award Bronze Medal Winner Readers' Favorite (Fiction - Humor/Comedy) INDIES Book of the Year Award Finalist (Humor)

Medical student Seth Levine faces escalating stress and gallows humor as he struggles with the collapse of his romantic relationships and all preconceived notions of what it means to be a doctor. It

“…the
Published April 12th 2016 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Didn't Get Frazzled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Didn't Get Frazzled

Start your review of Didn't Get Frazzled
Nesly Clerge
What a novel! I truly enjoyed the story in its entirety. David Z Hirsch’s Didn’t get frazzled, presents an engrossing and enthralling, plot-driven narrative, which mesmerizes with its intelligent portrayal of one man’s struggles to survive the trials and tribulations of medical school. The story starts out with a bang, as Seth, a medical student, studies the cadaver directly in front of him. While reading, the story created a reminiscing effect of my days in school, the whirlwind of names and fa ...more
Kathleen Pooler
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a retired Nursing Practitioner with forty-four years in the health care field, I am drawn to stories of medical professionals in the making. Didn’t Get Frazzled by David Z. Hirsch stands out as an entertaining, enlightening and realistic portrayal of the grueling path one must take to earn their standing as a competent professional.

The main character, Seth and his band of cohorts are medical students enduring the trials and tribulations of medical school while also trying to manag
Olga Miret
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it's hard to be a doctor I’m reviewing this book on behalf of Rosie’s Book Review Team and thank the author and Rosie for the ARC copy of the book that I voluntarily chose to review.
I’m a doctor and I must admit this book brought many memories for me (although I studied Medicine almost ten years earlier than the character Seth in the book and in Barcelona, Spain, where the system of medical training is slightly different to the one in the US that’s portrayed in the book): the sha
Mel
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of Didn't Get Frazzled in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this! I don't tend to read or watch anything overly medical, so being honest, I was unsure how I was going to get on with this. But the characters and their lives mixed perfectly with the medical terms and procedures in an all-round enjoyable and engrossing read.

They say write what you know, and this is definitely what David Hirsch has done. I don't think it would be possible to write a
Grady
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘Despite the carnage, I enjoyed that collective post-apocalypse cooperation New Yorkers save for special occasions.’

Author David Z. Hirsch, MD is a practicing physician in Maryland. And that is but the first entertaining conundrum that flows like flatus from this novel: the author is a physician – David Z. Hirsch MD is a nom de plume. And after a brief but hilarious take on a bio we get the idea that this is one gifted comedian and that what will follow is a medical tale that is crea
Laura Ruetz
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was full of humor. For a fictional account of what it was like to be in med school, it was refreshingly light and engaging as a read. The author has a great voice for storytelling while blending it with scenarios that you can see happening. Seth is so relatable and likable, that you are just drawn to him and his experiences and the matter of fact way that he narrates his journey in medical school. You don't have to be a doctor or work in the health care industry to enjoy this book.

I
Joshua Grant
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Medical school is crazy lumped upon crazy, a feeling David Hirsch captures well in Didn’t Get Frazzled. Seth Levine is trying to survive medschool, something made more complicated by potential romance, odd teachers, and even stranger classmates. Hirsch finds that sweet balance between quirky humor and touching drama making Didn’t Get Frazzled perfect for Scrubs or ER fans alike!
Minx
I like to challenge myself from time to time to step out and read something new. I have never read a medical fiction book before, which Didn’t Get Frazzled truly is. This story follows around Seth Levine as he navigates the world of being a medical student in New York City. This book is set in the early ninety’s and is written with the right proportions between all the medical jargon and Seth’s personal life.

Seth is fresh into medical school with a skip in his step. He is so sure tha
Jan
The memorization, the hours, the social life, the fellow students, the obsessions with pseudo diagnosis, and all the bad jokes and pranks. Medical School whether in NYC or anywhere is a trial by fire survivable only with humor. As a retired RN it is almost a given that I would enjoy this light hearted fiction about the transformation this student goes through while suffering relationship angst. I loved it!
I won the audiobook in a giveaway! David Gilmore is the voice actor who gave even more lif
Stevie Turner
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's not very often I come across a humorous book where the author has just the same dry sense of humour as I have. I found this out to my delight by reading 'Didn't Get Frazzled' by David Z. Hirsch, MD. Mr Hirsch has written about what he knows, having qualified as a doctor many years ago. He writes from the heart in much gory detail about Seth Levine's years as a medical student, and interspersed with this is Seth's failing relationship with girlfriend April.

The writing is intellig
Sashi Aggarwal
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical
Not like House of God, in a good way.

For medical students, House of God is practically required reading, but I could never stomach the brutal misogyny and exploitative scenes. To my relief, Didn’t Get Frazzled more accurately represents the multicultural world of medicine with strong female and racially diverse characters. There’s also a realistic portrayal of social issues and the dating scene (as I know well, unfortunately for me).

This book is a lot of fun and frequently challenged my views
Jane
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too funny not to read!

This book has been sitting unread in my Kindle app for some time...my bad! This is a great collection of incidents as experienced by a medical student and his fellow travelers over their four years of med school. It is humorous, sad, gory and a bunch of other adjectives that all add up to one fantastic read. Highly recommend.
Linda Zagon
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the author for a copy of "Didn't Get Frazzled" for my honest review. The genres of this book are Fiction, Contemporary Fiction, and Humor.

In "Didn't Get Frazzled", David Z. Hirsch describes the quirky and zany characters in their first years of Medical School.

Seth Levine, portrayed as insecure in his private relationships, but amazingly professional as a medical student, intern, then resident, narrates the story. He introduces us to his friends, coll
Hobart
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
This book follows Seth Levine through his 4 years of medical school: from Gross Anatomy to the verge of residency. Not just about his training, but the toll it takes on his relationship, and the way it impacts the rest of his life (and the lives of his classmates).

Overall, it's told with a light touch -- it's by no means a laugh out loud, slapstick-y comedy -- it's comedic. There's some drama, there's some tragedy, but overall, it's comedic.
Eccentric Trilogy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Didn’t get frazzled is a fictional medical-comedy told through the sarcastic narrative of Seth Levine; it pans over the years he is working hard to get his degree. With exams coming up and stress blooming like steam coming out of a kettle, I felt pretty fortunate to get such a fun book to read. Seth narrates the story in such a light-hearted manner that between cringing at his misfortunes in sympathy, you have to laugh. The plot itself is easy to follow, the reader checks in at him during severa ...more
Amy Shannon
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The side to medical school you didn't know

This was an entertaining and fun read, and I enjoyed the adventures and misadventures of the trek through medical school. The author probably derived this from his personal experiences and gave it an exciting but yet humorous story behind it. It seemed real but was so well written, it doesn't matter. The writer didn't bog the reader down with explanations of medical jargon, as it wasn't necessary to explain every little thing. He told a good
Angie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
What a fun read! Seth shares his struggles of balancing the daily grind of medical school while attempting to have a personal life. And he shares these stories with humor and compassion. Through it all, he seems to keep his humility and remember that he is there for the patients. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was provided a copy of this book from LibraryThing in exchange for my honest review.
Cyrene Olson
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uncaged Book Reviews:

There are many “truths” throughout the book. He truly didn’t get frazzled as he learned those truths. My favorite was his stint on the psych ward. I’ll leave it for you to read but, I will say he had the correct evaluation of our society today. Reviewed by Barbara

4 1/2 Stars

Full review at UncagedBooks.com
Michelle Bloodworth
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect when I listened to this book but I LOVED it!!! I didn't want it to end...I laughed so hard and then there were spots that I wanted to cry...Seth (the main character) draws you in like you are there..I could picture the entire book while listening to it..I can't recommend this book enough!!!!!!!
Kim
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband looked at me like I was insane while I read due to my fits of giggles. The book is well written with realistic characters and great dialogue. I highly recommend the audible version. The performance puts it over the top. He has perfect timing, inflection and he does sarcasm so well.
Terri Wilson
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
** I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review**

This was a fun book to read. I have to wonder if some of this is autobiographical or if the writer is sharing secrets from his fellow doctors. Even though this is a work of fiction, the author does a such a good job of making real characters and a believable plot, it feels like we are sharing stories to pass time while commuting on a train. I felt for Seth as he trudged through med school and his training while trying to bal
Ann Welton
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, thank you to LibraryThing for this e-book for my enjoyment and review. As a retired Nurse Practitioner I often choose novels with medical themes, and this one is now a favorite! I have read many books written about medical school, internships, residency - and this one stands out nicely. Easy story to follow, good character development, loved Hirsch's flow through his years of medical school and personal life. A must read for those interested in medical novels. Thanks, Dr. Hirsch.
Robert Enzenauer
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a physician, I read most of the "fiction" by physicians about the journey through medical school, internship, and residency. And certainly this recent effort by Dr. David Hirsh (pseudonym) is a worthy addition to THE HOUSE OF GOD and MOUNT MISERY, written by an earlier generation physician, also under the pseudonym Samuel Shem. The story "rings true" to ANYONE who has made the similar trip trough medical school. As some other readers have commented, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to read this boo ...more
Joyce
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Funny Tramp Down Memory Lane

Didn't Get Frazzled chronicles the experiences of med student Seth Levine. Hirsch whisks readers back to the 90s and gives a fresh perspective on what it is actually like to be a medical student. Along the way, we are treated to the heartache, wonder, and laugh out loud experiences of what love and dating was like pre-Internet.

Having been a medical student in the 90s myself, I was struck by how accurate and poignant Hirsch's depiction of medi
Richard van Balen
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This might be one of the best medical books I've ever read. Astonishing realism with a lot of recognizable moments. Thanks GoodReads friends for the tip!!!
Roxie Prince
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

'Didn't Get Frazzled' by David Z. Hirsch, MD.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
Finished on September 20, 2017
GIVEN A FREE COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW
$3.99 on Kindle | $13.99 in Paperback

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
'Didn't Get Frazzled' chronicles Seth Levine's life as a medical student. He meets several unique characters along the way including a fellow student who boasts he will eat any piece of a cadaver he cannot name, and a professor who performs a gynecolo/>BOOK/>GIVEN
L. S.
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After watching Scrubs, I never thought I'd find medical media that even compared. Any time the practice gets involved, it's dark and angsty. Or nothing but unending drama. Scrubs was different in that, at its core, it remained lighthearted and goofy. Of course, there was drama and angst, but it wasn't the main theme of the show.

Didn't Get Frazzled strikes me as very similar.

Seth Levine takes us on his journey as a medical student. His story get split between the years, allowing the
Trevor Coote
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe the world is divided into two types of people: those who choose to do the stomach-churning things that doctors and nurses are obliged to do, and those who wonder why on earth people would choose to do the stomach-churning things that doctors and nurse are obliged to do. This delightful book helps explain why. Dress it up how you like, in the end it is the old clichés: ‘to help people’, ‘to make a difference’, ‘job satisfaction’.
The author, thinly disguised as Seth Levine, sensitive medica
Kit Crumpton
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The phases of medical school. Using mnemonics in creative/funny ways to remember words and series. This took me down memory lane when I had to memorize the molecular chain in photosynthesis for my Biology class as an undergrad.
Young love in flux and all the residual consequences. (Memory lane again). The author has a wonderful way of mixing poignancy and humor with the craziness of youth wanting to make new relationship rules and then wondering why they don’t work out in the long run. “We’re ju
Karen Terrell
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seth Levine is the MD I want for my family: Smart, compassionate, dedicated, a good listener, and - most importantly, from my perspective - with a sense of humor that doesn't quit.

I was raised in Christian Science - still identify as a Christian Scientist - and, except for the times when I took my sons to the doctor as they were growing up, never spent much time around hospitals or doctors' offices until recently. In the last couple years I have become more familiar with the local me
« previous 1 3 next »

• Trauma Room Two
  • People of the ER
  • ER Days
  • Do You Even Know What You're Doing?: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Cowboys and Indian: A Doctor's First Year In Texas
  • I Am 911 (A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories Book 4)
  • My Best Friend is Ativan: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Dying to Be Famous (A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories Book 5)
  • Living My Best Life: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Unfinished Business: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Going to Hell in a Handbasket (A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories Book 11)
  • Behind the Curtain: A Peek at Life from within the ER
  • Doctors
  • Ew! Ew! Ew!: Real Stories from a Small-Town ER
  • You Stuck What in Where? (A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories Book 9)
  • I Fought the Law (and the Law Won) (A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories Book 7)
  • All in a Day's Work
  • Drops of Reality: Tales from a doctor's surgery
David Z Hirsch grew up on the steppes of Nebraska peddling Kool-Aid off I-129 until saving up enough cash for medical school. After graduation, he moved to Pyongyang to teach pre-med classes at Kim Il-sung University. He soon fell out of favor and was imprisoned at Kaechon where he traded medical favors for soup and toilet paper until he made a daring escape across the border.

Dr. Hirsch subsisted
“Stress and sleep deprivation had a funny way of liberating the mind from previously held truisms, replacing them with a more compliant desperation.” 7 likes
“Sometimes we called one another by our future doctor names. We did it partly to be funny, but mostly because we liked it when people did it back to us.” 6 likes