Start by marking “Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)

Death In Paradise

(Jesse Stone #3)

Robert B. Parker is back in Paradise, where Detective Jesse Stone is looking for two things: the killer of a teenage girl—and someone, anyone, who is willing to claim the body…
Published November 5th 2002 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death In Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death In Paradise

Start your review of Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
Kemper
The police chief of a small town, Jesse Stone, is just trying to enjoy a beer with the fellas after a softball game when one of his teammates finds the murdered body of a teenage girl floating in a nearby lake. Don’t you just hate it when you can’t get away from work?

Trying to identify the dead girl and figure out who killed her will lead Jesse to a variety of people including terrible parents, a pretty school principal, a dangerous gangster, a drunken novelist, and a nun running a shelter for t
Bill Kerwin

Death in Paradise, the third Jesse Stone adventure, is not memorable, but it serves to pass the time.

Jesse, chief of police of the small community of Paradise, is called away from the weekly softball game: the body of a teenage girl has washed up on the inlet shore. The search for her identity and her murderer eventually leads to the nearby city of Boston, and it begins to seem as if there may be a connection between the murdered young runaway and the world of the powerful gay crime lord Gino Fi
Robert
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
This is a serviceable detective thriller about the police chief of a small coastal town near Boston. The protagonist is an alcoholic who blew his career as a homicide detective in L.A. and his marriage, too. He's not a complete loner; he still meets his ex-wife frequently and starts a relationship with the head of the local high school...which interested me: The parts of the book where it is demonstrated that Stone has a life beyond his job mostly distract from rather than advance the plot. It's ...more
William
3.5 stars, best in the Jesse Stone series so far, but definitely room for improvement.

Warning: The dead girl was 14, and there are troubling scenes with other young teenagers. Parker handles this carefully and with respect. Still, it's hard for me.

The reality here is that the Jesse Stone series, at least books 1 - 3, are Parker's analysis of himself and why his marriage to Joan failed in the early 1980s. Since this book was written more than 15 years later, he has done some thinking about the wh
Amanda McGill
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I'm enjoying this book and series more than I thought I would! It's a pretty simple read with an entertaining mystery.

Sheriff Jesse Stone is ready to relax with the guys after a baseball game, when someone finds a dead teenager girl floating in the water. Jesse needs to find out who killed the girl, however he is finding lots of challenges, including who the girl even is.

I really liked the pace of the novel. I felt that there was always something happening and I never got too bored. The myster
Susan
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first Jesse Stone I have read. It's not a thrill ride but, instead, a very comfortable read. Jesse is an alcoholic cop. There are a lot of books out already featuring him. It is likely I'll read one or more of them.
Janie Johnson
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is book #3 in the Jesse stone series. I had not planned on reading this book at all for this month but I wanted a nice quick read to finish off my month and this was the perfect choice. This one was much better than the first 2 were, still a little subdued but more was going on than in the other ones. I was glad to see that.

Synopsis
C.C. Thomas
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I so enjoy reading Jesse Stone books. What I most like about them isn't necessarily the mystery (which is always superbly plotted), or the adventure (which is often knuckle-biting), it's the character of Jesse.

Jesse is a human with a lot of human mistakes. He is an alcoholic, not recovering, and has real issues with his on-again, off-again ex-wife. I love that Parker doesn't make any excuses for Jesse's behavior and that Jesse doesn't make any for himself. Usually, in a book, the character is re
Jo  Ann
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jesse Stone! He’s a very down to earth police chief who has problems of his own to solve. While solving the crime of murder he is also trying to fight the demon of alcoholism. He knows when he needs help and is man enough to ask for it. Maybe he can regain his life with his ex wife.......maybe not......on to book 4......
Bonnie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the downloadable audiobook and it was a quick listen. The reader was good. I'm not sure why I enjoy this series. Jesse Stone has his problems: booze and his ex-wife, whom he's still in love with. I guess I like the character because of his sense of justice and because he's an unpretentious straight shooter. The mystery in this story was sad and sordid, which I guess is pretty much what one can expect from murder..
Mark
This book was actually my first meeting with Jesse Stone in the guise of Tom Selleck. Yes indeed I saw the tv-movie and found it highly enjoyable. And indeed the film stays largely faithfull to the book, with the exception of Stone's exwife who plays a larger part in the books than the movies. I still think that the books did that far better than RB Parker ever did.

The story is about a murdered girl found and she is NOT MISSING because her family threw her out because she did not fit their ideal
Sharon
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
First of all let me say that I love Jesse Stone, I love how he listens, I love how he responds, I love how thoughtful he is. Inside his head is a peaceful place, oh, unless he's thinking about work or Jenn or alcohol, unless.

Jesse once again has a murdered teenage girl on his hands, no identification and no missing person's report. A search for her parents leads to the high rent district and two people who deny any relationship whatsoever. But they are her parents, what went so wrong that they d
Eric_W
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Watched one of the Jesse Stone movies with Tom Selleck, and that reminded me I had several of the Jesse Stone books moldering on my Ipod. Opened up Death in Paradise, started listening and became enthralled.

I really enjoyed this. I've read a lot of Parker and liked the early Spenser very much. Once Susan entered the picture, they became less interesting. Jesse Stone is understated, his problems with booze real but not overly dramatized, and his relationships with girlfriends real. There is an un
Roger
Oct 07, 2016 added it
Imagine my surprise when I found there was a Robert B Parker novel I had not read. I learned quite by accident I had "skipped" Death in Paradise. A quick trip to my local library and a few solid hours of reading remedied that. This novel was full of the snappy dialogue and action I remember. Parker was a treasure.
Anya
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
A blah book that was a lot too formulaic for my taste. It was very easy to read with simple thoughts and simple characters. The male lead was stereotypical and idiotic but still got all the ladies. Oy vey.
Nancy Marsanico
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoy these books. Jesse Stone is a good chief of police in a small New England town of Paradise. He is fighting his own demons and this makes him very real to me.
Gary
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parker’s hero here has a different style of dialogue that Spenser, and the story is more to the point.
Paula Dembeck
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This is Parker’s third book in the Jesse Stone series.

Jesse and his friends are relaxing after a baseball game when a young girl is found face down in a lake. She only has one shoe on and it appears she has been in the water for a while. When Jesse initially checks out the body, he finds a bullet hole behind her right ear that has exited on the other side of her head. Such a bullet would have been made by a gun fired at close range. It looks like she was shot and then dumped in the lake. There i
Kathy
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Pat
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Paradise Men's Softball League has wrapped up another game, and Jesse Stone is lingering in the parking lot with his teammates, drinking beer, swapping stories of double plays and beautiful women in the late summer twilight. But then a frightened voice calls out to him from the shore of a nearby lake. There, two men squat at the water's edge. In front of them, face down, is something that used to be a girl.
The local cops haven't seen anything like this before, but Jesse's LA past has made h
Nanosynergy
After finishing all of the non-deceased Robert B. Parker's "Spencer" series, I thought I would try some of his other books. I like protagonist Jesse Stone as a character, the setup and setting, but found his relationship with his ex-wife tedious. Like the Spencer series, the Jesse Stone series is also into "shrinks" and self-analysis as the Jesse and his ex work to deal with their personal issues and Jesse's apparent alcoholism. Despite this, there is a crime to solve - the murder of an adolesce ...more
Loretta Gibson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parker
I am beginning to really like almost everything about Jesse, the almost being Jenn. I could do with a little less of her. Parker has created great characters, good setting, plausible plots....this one relationship he has with Jenn tries my patience as I read the books. I hope this isn't going to be a pattern throughout the series.
Rob
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this authors clever character! Entertaining and good mix of adventure, humor and intrigue.
Evelyn Wilson
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I believe I need to re-watch all these movies. I definitely don't recall Jesse being SO obsessed with Jennifer. She has moved to Boston and is a weather girl on Channel 3. OMG. And I don't recall Dix being the therapist. Ok, just looked it up. William Devane's character was Dr. Dix, lololol.

Page 21 . . . "He was here all the time?" she said. (the Dalmatian Anthony found with no collar or ID that Jesse named Deputy like in Deputy Dawg)
"Sine yesterday," Jesse said. "Last night he stayed with me.
Bart Hopkins
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, I volunteered to be a hall monitor during some state testing at my son's school. You know ... make sure the kids are being good in the hallway, not looking at electronics, or talking, and all that.

For the most part, it was boring, and I was allowed to read if there were no kids to monitor, so I took this book with me. I was there for about six hours and in addition to feeling good about volunteering, I ripped through this book at every opportunity.

Robert Parker is a terrific writer and story
Steve Payne
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
Jesse Stone is brought in to investigate the body of a girl found beside a lake, gets involved with a wife batterer, and fights his own drink demons.

When I read books of this genre (hardboiled crime) I don't want too much faff and overly convoluted plots (of which many are guilty). This novel breezes along, is straightforward and easy to read, and has a likeable, easily identifiable main character. It's typical of the Robert B.Parker books that I've read, in that it may well be set in modern tim
Sandra Jeffs
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am in the process of reading the Jessie Stone Series from Robert B. Parker and this is the third in the series. It is classic Parker. The language is sparse and authentic with a lot of dialogue to drive the plot forward. Jessie Stone is a captivating and intriguing character. We want to find out the resolution of the murder as well as find out how Jessie Stone will progress. It's a fast read, which is satisfying but sad when it ends. Thankfully, there is thee next book in the series. Love it!
Hasanthi
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fan of Mystery genre books. Got this book, since it was not a long one with thousands of pages. It is an easy read and a wonderful story. Furst ever Robert Parker book. Hoping to read more of his work. Every page carried a lot of excitement and was really interesting. The male protagonist, Jess is a crime investigation officer. The way he handles and approaches to find the culprits of the murder of Billie , a young teenage girl, made me wanted to read more. Had much excitement in ...more
Laurie Hanan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, Parker delivers an excellent, easy-to read mystery. Loved it!
sandra
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jesse is magnificent!

This series grabs the reader's attention from the first page and won't let go until the last one.
Can't wait to the next one!

• Cheap Shot (Spenser, #42)
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Kickback (Spenser, #43)
  • Slow Burn (Spenser, #44)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blackjack (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #8)
  • Little White Lies (Spenser, #45)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • The Revelators (A Quinn Colson Novel #10)
  • Old Black Magic (Spenser, #46)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blood Feud (Sunny Randall, #7)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bridge (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #7)
  • Robert B. Parker's Revelation (A Cole and Hitch Novel Book 9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Grudge Match (Sunny Randall Book 8)
  • Passport To Peril
  • The Templar Detective and the Sergeant's Secret (The Templar Detective Thrillers #3)
  • In the Crypt with a Candlestick
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)